Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Well then I'm really impressed!!! What great exercise. We're having eerie weather too--record drought. Easier to dress for than what you're having but unsettling nevertheless.
I'm in California, too, and the drought is terrible. Although we don't really feel the effects of it here so much as we're already the desert (and we have a huge aquifer) it is sad for the entire state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Jen, glad your lecture went well!

Allison & Michele, sending good thoughts to Chico and Jozi.

We had an incident with Carter and baby A this morning (don't worry, nobody was hurt!). I feel responsible because I was watching C and didn't notice what was going on with Carter and A so I don't know exactly what happened. As far as I can tell he came over to sniff her and maybe lick her (her hair was slicked into a cowlick afterward) and she probably flailed her arm at him or grabbed at him, and he barked and she started crying. I don't think he snapped, and he definitely didn't bite, but still. We told him no and chased him off but I feel like that's probably not the best way to teach him anything. A while back I contacted a local animal behavior group for advice and they recommended going to our vet as the first step but I never got around to making an appointment. DH is convinced that the only thing the vet will say is that we should give Carter away but I think DH is being ridiculous and that the vet will at least refer us to a behaviorist first, or possibly even try doggie anxiety medication. It makes me really sad when DH says things like that because I feel like he's angry at Carter all the time and like he wants to get rid of him, even though he says that's not true.

Really Carter needs to learn that if he doesn't want the babies touching him he should just walk away. They can't follow him. They can't chase him. They can only touch him if he comes close enough. So if he doesn't want them to touch him, why doesn't he just walk away? I don't understand and I'm not sure how to teach him that. I think we are going to have to just start gating the babies in a separate room where he can't get to them if we can't resolve this. Unfortunately with two infants DH and I honestly do not have the time or energy for any intensive training with Carter so separation is the best we can do right now.
Until you can be certain that Carter will walk away, it might be a good idea to put up a kiddie gate to keep him separated when the girls are out on the floor. It won't be too much longer before they'll become mobile and then Carter might be more reactive. If you get him used to occasional confinement now he should be better with it when they're crawling and walking. In the mean time, a behaviorist is a good idea.

Thanks for all the well wishes for Chico. He's on his third good day in a row! He's eaten well all three days (although still not enough to gain weight) which gives him energy and he just seems happier when he has energy. I think giving him fluids daily is what helps. The steroids help with his appetite, too. If I try to feed him before he's had his steroids, he sometimes refuses food. All I need to do is give him the steroids, wait about an hour and then he'll eat.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Chris-- that sounds amazing!! I think a road trip in October might be in store! How exciting.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #48  

Dh home from China (hooray!)-- but he cooked last night. Healthy-- supposedly-- Salmon with Brussels sprouts-- but he oversalts food! I like zero salt. Even he said it was too salty. Surprise surprise-- my rings are stuck on today and my weight isn't moving. So, lots of fluids today!

In unrelated news, I fell in love with Scentsy products-- they smell amazing! I put one in where Jozi sleeps (and she stinks) and it smells oh so much better! I signed up last night to be a consultant--- just to sell to friends and family-- and I have a website to order from! Super excited! If you want the info, send me a PM and I'll send you the link (hope I'm not breaking 3FC rules). You can order and they ship directly to you.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #49  

I like the Scentsy "burners" that you plug in and the light heats the brick and gently scents the room, but I am not a fan of any of their scents. I prefer Salt City Candle scents, but they aren't "interchangeable." The Salt City bricks are harder and don't melt as easy so the scent is less discernible. I wonder if adding oil might help or is there a slightly higher watt bulb that I could buy.

I had a low cal day yesterday but no weight change today. ((sigh)) I should know that this would be slow, but it's still a little infuriating.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I LOVEEEEEEEEE Scentsy! Please send me your info, Michele! I used them all the time here at work since we can't light candles.

I had a huge surprise this morning when I stepped on the scale and am back under my redline for the first time in what feels like forever.

Trying not to get cocky with it!!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I like the Scentsy "burners" that you plug in and the light heats the brick and gently scents the room, but I am not a fan of any of their scents. I prefer Salt City Candle scents, but they aren't "interchangeable." The Salt City bricks are harder and don't melt as easy so the scent is less discernible. I wonder if adding oil might help or is there a slightly higher watt bulb that I could buy.

I had a low cal day yesterday but no weight change today. ((sigh)) I should know that this would be slow, but it's still a little infuriating.
What is your favorite scent ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Dh home from China (hooray!)-- but he cooked last night. Healthy-- supposedly-- Salmon with Brussels sprouts-- but he oversalts food! I like zero salt. Even he said it was too salty. Surprise surprise-- my rings are stuck on today and my weight isn't moving. So, lots of fluids today!

In unrelated news, I fell in love with Scentsy products-- they smell amazing! I put one in where Jozi sleeps (and she stinks) and it smells oh so much better! I signed up last night to be a consultant--- just to sell to friends and family-- and I have a website to order from! Super excited! If you want the info, send me a PM and I'll send you the link (hope I'm not breaking 3FC rules). You can order and they ship directly to you.
And what is your favorite scent ?
Old 01-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #53  

bargoo~Salt City Candle's Gardenia is probably my favorite although I have several others. Lemon grass is also quite nice.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #54  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
bargoo~Salt City Candle's Gardenia is probably my favorite although I have several others. Lemon grass is also quite nice.
Thanks, I will check them out,
Old 01-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
And what is your favorite scent ?
Well... I'm excited to try them all out! So far, I love sugar cookie. It smells divine (and doesn't make me crave cookies!).

Jen-- I'll send the info along.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #56  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Chris, good lord, I need to make arrangements to visit Colorado in October. I have two friends in CA who are master chocolatiers - they ran a successful business out there until she destroyed her back. I so admire your courage and willingness to get back out there. What you're doing - not letting the fear control you - is what I consider true success and spirit. I think some of the self-control just comes out naturally from having a purpose; you're occupied, you have a direction, and you're a spirit in motion. Thumbs up and good luck!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Jessica Carter is showing an interest in the babies. They probably smell like food - if they are eating any solids yet - and he's licking them to see if he can get some of it. What you have to do now is show him that, while it's OK to interact with the girls, he can't do so whenever he chooses. You and DH will choose when and where Carter touches the babies.

Please try to find a trainer ASAP. I have seen too many dogs given away after babies come into the household. It's not necessary. But you have to teach the dog to be very gentle with the babies and a professional trainer can show you how to do that.

You had someone stay with Carter or walk him or similar when you were away on vacation. Ask her if she knows of a reputable trainer who can help you through this. Or ask your vet.

It should not be a choice between Carter or the girls. They can learn to all be part of one big happy family.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default reno repair woes

So it looks like the individual I hired to renovate the bathroom really, really frakked up the job. There was no way of knowing what he'd done until the walls were opened up.

So now DH is blaming me for all of this, since he is the one who volunteered and who I'm paying to try to fix it. I have now said that maybe the whole thing should be ripped out and redone but apparently that's not a good idea.

I had no idea who to hire. I thought DH, working for a BATHROOM and kitchen reno firm, might.

I'm really mad right now. If DH doesn't want to participate in this why doesn't he find me someone who can do this work? I have asked him repeatedly to do this.

ARRGH!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #59  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

My question for you, Dagmar, is why do you keep asking DH? Obviously you are going to have to find someone reputable on your own by doing your own research.

DH is never going to be what you think he should be. He's not going to stay on a diet, he's not going to get a decent job, and he's not going to be reliable about repair and help. I think you would be happier if you'd simply accept that about him and stop expecting and hoping it will change.

Good luck on finding a reputable company to re-fix your bathroom. You can find them. No more asking pals about it. Remember, it is YOUR house.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #60  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Chris-- that sounds amazing!! I think a road trip in October might be in store! How exciting.
OMG Michele if you come out to my Chocolate Festival for real, I promise you a free admission ticket and a friendly hug! Only problem, running a festival for 5000 people I'll have no more time than that!!
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote