3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers Weekly Chat January 19 - January 26

Old 01-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #16
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,
I had the day off yesterday for the holiday. I spent it being responsible and getting in some movement - jogged with the dog, hit the Monday yoga class I don't usually make, and did two modules for my online course. Speaking of which, I've delved into the world of online education and am taking a graduate level distance course in the marine field in attempts to make myself better qualified for future career opportunities. My employer says they'll reimburse me with a grade of C or better, though I've got some trust issues that it will actually happen so I consider this first course an experiment. I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of material already and know that if I can make this work, for the next few years my theatre and choral participation will be severely curtailed or nonexistent. I'm a little sad about that but I've got to try and make something else work for work. Hopefully this will help me progress my career without having to leave this place I love and leave my BF.

The new year has involved lots of going through things here. First, re-doing the spare room that's become a junk room so I can use it as an office and close the door to study while BF is in the living room watching TV. I've actually successfully moved my laptop and all associated cords into the office and off of the dining room table. I've been trying to get rid of old electronics responsibly by taking old things to best buy for recycling when I go to the city, and sell a few things online. BF is also finally giving up his house (which he never stays in) and after 8.5 years together he admits we live together. We're combining some furniture, picking through some and giving away the rest. There are 2 new people at the office who have just moved here and are happy to be the recipients of a mattress and end tables.

Michele, good for you for getting out there and meeting new folks. My book club sometimes chooses books I would never read. Sometimes I enjoy them, sometimes I don't, but it does broaden horizons and it's more about the social aspect for me. I kind of wish I'd saved a pair of my fattest fat pants. You have come a long way and continue to maintain a great loss!

Allison, maybe you could compromise and spend a few days before/after the wedding at the winery, but the night of rehearsal & wedding itself with everyone else. I always get nervous about booking travel due to cost as well. Maybe in this case paying extra for the refundable tickets is worth it.

Becky, there's nothing like wine to help one speed the process. Any process.

Jen, brr, stay warm! Or maybe "hope you feel warm" is a more appropriate wish?

I hope everyone else feels warm, too, and has a good week.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #17
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

DH had the day off yesterday for the holiday, then got an 'emergency' call at 5:30 yesterday afternoon and ended up working until close to 2 in the morning. He's on a tear today at work - this customer has called more than once with issues after hours and has an unrealistic expectation of service and of what constitutes an emergency. His company offers 24 hour support and has people in the office to do it, but this guy doesn't think those people act fast enough or are experienced enough or whatever. He wants a line to DH and the others on his team with a 30 minute response, for what is a small account who often cause their own problems by moving equipment. Or who think it is an emergency when they decide that they want a new line for faxes on Sunday afternoon at 4pm instead of during business hours. It is ridiculous. He had a call before Christmas that lasted close to 22 hours, with himself and two other CSR folks at the office trying to fix a problem that the customer had caused. One of those CSRs has since quit, said that the 22 hour call without being able to leave and go home or anything was more than she was in for. DH is worn out.

One of my friends is in ICU in a medically induced coma - she has the flu, double pneumonia and asthma. As DH has asthma and has been fighting bronchitis since before Christmas this has me worried.

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #18

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default work/pet stuff

I had a good day today, despite the brain numbing cold. It was brilliantly sunny all day and the lake and sky were constantly changing. Beautiful! I sometimes wish I had the fancy phone with the camera to share stuff like that. I was dressed in a bunch of bulky layers and thought I could, to a certain extent, empathize with people who are quite overweight. Life is so difficult with all this bulk just for one season - I can imagine what it's like to be that way all the time. HARD!

And the dogs were all pretty well behaved today, except for Max Sr. and Max Jr. Senior is the 10 year old poodle and she is now running away regularly. I am keeping her on leash and redoing a bunch of training with her. Junior is going to be a bit more of a problem as he's not going to be neutered until he's 15 months and now, since he has male equipment, thinks he can do whatever the heck he wants. I have a long line on him (which is a pain in winter) and all the folks at the off leash are helping me catch him, including one of the other dogs in his group! That's a bit of training that happened with another dog and that I'm continuing.

DH is away at class so I'm going to heat up leftovers and then I'm going to prep for my "Swedish Media" online course by rewatching "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

Good evening all!

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #19

S/C/G: 178/122/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
What is the book?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/030...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is Aleph. From what the others were saying it sounds a little "out there" and not a quick read. We'll see.

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
298/365 workouts
234 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #20

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/030...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is Aleph. From what the others were saying it sounds a little "out there" and not a quick read. We'll see.
I read the Alchemist although I don't remember much of it. Hopefully this will be good. The reviews are certainly mixed.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #21

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
I'm going to prep for my "Swedish Media" online course by rewatching "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".
I liked the book so much that I watched both versions of the movie. I preferred the Hollywood version of Lisbeth by Rooney Mara over the Swedish version.

Which are you watching?
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #22

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
I liked the book so much that I watched both versions of the movie. I preferred the Hollywood version of Lisbeth by Rooney Mara over the Swedish version.

Which are you watching?
The Swedish ones - I have all 3 movies on DVD. Unfortunately I got only part way through the first disc and it started malfunctioning. SIGH. I'll get DH to take a look - our equipment involves 4 remotes so I may have done something wrong.

I haven't seen the remake with Rooney Mara. Another thing on my "to watch" list.

I too loved the books. I couldn't put them down and read late into the night until I'd finished the whole trilogy.

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #23
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,
We had a few days of warmer weather and beautiful beach walks and are back in the arctic, er, chilly stuff now. I'm planning on making some version of chicken tortilla soup tonight, without the tortillas, to get us through the rest of the week with warm, hearty, & healthy dinners. After yoga of course. Small pat on back for being good about time management, veggie prep & consumption this week, and seeing my pre-holiday weight of 149 on the scale this morning (those things are all related in my world). Now to make it stay there.

The steroids are helping the dog, finally. She is closer to normal than she's been in 4 months. They make her really thirsty and hungry, though, so we still get up at least once each night for outings. We're starting to taper them off and see what she does, but I think she will be on them for a while longer, if not years.

I really enjoyed the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, as well, though I haven't seen either movie version. I think I read the Alchemist a long time ago...? Clearly if I did it didn't make an impression. This month for book club we're reading "5 Days at Memorial" which is about 5 days at Memorial hospital in NO following hurricane Katrina. It's well written but I haven't gotten that far. I need to read something that will relax me before bed, and this isn't it, but that is the only reading time I have right now. What happened was just terrible.

Shannon, is this client a big client of DH's? Does his business success depend on their check? It's easy for me to say, but I'd be sitting them down and spelling out in writing what constitutes an after hours emergency. Is there any kind of contract signing? Or just tell them to stuff it, bc they don't sound like they'd appreciate the heart-to-heart anyway. I hope he's feeling better soon. Your friend is in my thoughts and I hope for a speedy recovery.

Jessica, glad the girls slept well through at least one night. Is their sleeping overall improved or is it sporadic?

Bill, are you using your new snow machine today? Stay warm and safe those of you in the Northeast.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #24

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Megan~aren't steroids interesting? Chico, at times, is famished but other times (and I think it's due to his kidney disease more than anything) he doesn't want to eat.

I've read all three Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books and seen all four movies. We saw the Swedish ones in the theater. The first is not rated. Meaning that if it were to have been rated, it would have been NC17. Yeah, took my 16 (or was he 15 at the time) to see it with us. He got over the NC17 stuff and really enjoyed the movie. I had trouble with the first book. So many characters and so many places unknown to me had me a bit fuddled, but everyone told me to stick with it and I'm glad I did.

BTW, the diet is working!

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #25
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/postpartum/135

Megan, glad the steroids are helping your furbaby! Congrats on your pre-holiday weight. I heard a piece on NPR about 5 days at memorial -- it sounded like it would be a very good but depressing read. The girls' sleep is still mixed. Last night they slept really well until about 3:30am and then were a disaster, but overall that's pretty good.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #26

S/C/G: 178/122/125

Height: 5'5"

Good news on Emma, Megan!

I also *think* I read the Alchemist but I'm also not sure. Those who enjoyed the Alchemist said this one is nothing like it as it is the author's "personal journey" including his belief that he has been reincarnated multiple times.

Great Allison! Glad the scale is cooperating for you.

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
298/365 workouts
234 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #27

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I am so uncultured compared to the rest of you! I have never even HEARD of the Alchemist let alone read it!

I had an interesting experience this morning. A few weeks ago I was asked if I could come over and give a lecture on drugs of abuse to a local agency. I was given the impression it was just a few people that needed to know a couple of things.

I prepared lightly and then got over there this morning and the room was packed with people all looking at me expectantly. I thought "Oh, crap! This is not going to go well!" But I began my spiel - they all had a ton of questions and were all totally engaged - asking for my "expert opinion" on things.

Afterwards several people came up to me and told me how awesome the presentation was. It was definitely an ego-feeder.

Jen

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try I'll never know!" ~ Wicked ~

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said 'I just don't care!'" ~ Pink ~

http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/

My goal reached thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ncers-say.html
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #28
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Jen, I haven't heard of the Alchemist either. We (you and I) live in the sticks and I don't have a television.

Jessica, I'm glad that C and A are sleeping from time to time! It seems to be improving as they're getting older. Phew!

Last edited by silverbirch : 01-22-2014 at 03:24 PM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #29

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Used the new snow thrower to remove . . . 3 inches of fluffy snow. The 12 inches predicted stayed in NY, apparently.

But it was cold out there. Had to come in once for numb fingers and a second time for numb toes.

But I didn't have extra snacks to recover from the exercise, LOL.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #30
maintaining since 9/2013

S/C/G: 244/148/145

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Used the new snow thrower to remove . . . 3 inches of fluffy snow. The 12 inches predicted stayed in NY, apparently.

But it was cold out there. Had to come in once for numb fingers and a second time for numb toes.

But I didn't have extra snacks to recover from the exercise, LOL.
I always wondered if shivering would count as aerobic workout!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.