Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #16  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Good morning! Exhausted morning here, the girls had a rough weekend (possibly precipitated by me eating a little bit of cheese Thursday night to test whether they'll tolerate dairy -- apparently they won't). Up all night two nights in a row, and they were a mess for poor DH yesterday. He took them to the doctor to get them checked out for ear infections (they're fine) and get their reflux medicine adjusted and they had a massive stranger danger attack and basically cried at all the nurses and doctor even with DH holding both of them the whole time. Sigh. On the one hand, I don't want them to be scared of people, but on the other hand it's kind of cute and reassuring to see that they know their mommy and daddy and prefer us to other people. They're also dealing with some changes in their diapers due to eating more solids which is making them uncomfortable. DH fed them a bunch of prunes yesterday to help out.

Dagmar, was this a contractor that you hired? You should be able to call them up and make them fix it if they did it wrong. Also re: the water in the basement, do you have a sump pump?

Jen, glad you finally got the furnace working again at least!

Shannon, great job for your DSS!

Saef, did you get to take your bath and relax? I love those Lush bath bombs.

DH is a member of a stay-at-home dads facebook group and a new guy introduced himself on there yesterday -- a dad of 16-month-old quadruplets! I can't even imagine.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thought some folks might enjoy google image's of silverbirch's Buzzard (Buteo buteo). It looks a lot like the Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicenis) in the U.S..

In the U. S. we use 'buzzard' as short for the Turkey Vulture that dines on carrion and is always represented in cartoons as circling folks in a desert who are about to die.

[/David Attenborough]
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #18  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

David, yes, those are my neighbours. When one's on a telegraph pole or fence post I always admire its Fair Isle jumper.

A favourite food of the buzzard: afterbirth. It's coming into lambing season now so things should be fine. I'll be safe for a bit.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post

A favourite food of the buzzard: afterbirth. It's coming into lambing season now so things should be fine. I'll be safe for a bit.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Jessica-- oh my! Are any of the dads local in the Facebook group? Stranger fear is quite normal. Hope the girls feel better now. My younger dd could never ever drink milk-- still can't. We had some nasty experiences-- one in a California Pizza Kitchen so we'll never go back there-- until we figured it out.

Dagmar-- I agree-- the contractor should definitely come back to fix his mess. You can file a complaint (at least in the US) with the BBB if they don't handle it well. Yelp, etc. are other places to voice your displeasure if necessary.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
one in a California Pizza Kitchen so we'll never go back there
DH and I have had THREE problems at different CPK restaurants (all severe stomach pains the evening and day after eating there). And those are the only three times we've been there. Once, even my sister and her DH got the same thing as us. Never enough to throw up but it was pretty uncomfortable for all of us. We'll never, ever go back there (or even buy their frozen stuff).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #22  

Looking for your opinions even though I think I know what you'll say already.

I just joined a new meet up group (book club). They are having a get together (non book related) this Saturday night at a Mexican restaurant. I already know that my schedule doesn't permit me to go to the next book club meeting in February. I'm debating whether or not to go to this.....

Pros and cons:
Cons--
I'm super shy and have trouble meeting new people.
I don't drink so I won't get loosened up plus I might look weird.
I don't like driving on the freeway at night.
I will want to order healthy which will be a challenge.
It's late at night (for me anyway) which may make me very tired Sunday and throw off my exercise.

Pros--
I really need to get out and meet new people/ make friends.
I am pretty lonely with dh gone so much and my girls gone.

???
Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Go, Michele. You need it.

You know when I joined the Wine Women group? I went first with a friend who had invited me and had a good time and recognized that I'd be able to meet more people. I joined. Now my MIL has joined as well (although she and FIL only attend a few months of the year). DH and I go to almost all of them and Kathleen, the person who organizes everything mixes people up so you rarely sit with the same group--unless you've hit it off then she'll sit you together at least once more.

Anyway, I've met some wonderful people--several of whom I call friends. We even get together outside of these events to do other things. I'm glad I did it regardless of how hard it is for me to do because I'm shy as well.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Looking for your opinions even though I think I know what you'll say already.

I just joined a new meet up group (book club). They are having a get together (non book related) this Saturday night at a Mexican restaurant. I already know that my schedule doesn't permit me to go to the next book club meeting in February. I'm debating whether or not to go to this.....

Pros and cons:
Cons--
I'm super shy and have trouble meeting new people.
I don't drink so I won't get loosened up plus I might look weird.
I don't like driving on the freeway at night.
I will want to order healthy which will be a challenge.
It's late at night (for me anyway) which may make me very tired Sunday and throw off my exercise.

Pros--
I really need to get out and meet new people/ make friends.
I am pretty lonely with dh gone so much and my girls gone.

???
Tis a new year and time to try new things!! Get your butt out the door and meet with them!!

I found this on healthy choices at Mexican restaurants http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/aa050207a.htm

No need to be shy - you have a brilliant and funny personality from what I can see here - you just need to translate it to real life situations! You won't be the only one there who feels a bit awkward at first!

Can't wait to hear how it goes!

jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #25  
in development

Give it a go. If it's really terrible you don't have to go again. But you might like it!
Old 01-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #26  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Michele - I join the chorus; Go for it!!!
  • You've invested energy to join the group.
  • You'll be ahead of the curve meeting folks at the first book club meet after this early introduction - even if only an OK get together.
  • There are solutions for eating Mexican. The first rule is to count (as in 1, 2,3 ...) the initial serving of chips. After that, it's just about making a sane entree choice.
  • You deserve it!
Have a blast. Or at least a OK good time.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #27  

I knew y'all would say that. Okay-- I RSVP'd before I'd chicken out. Feeling anxious just thinking about it.

I'll read your suggestions for Mexican Jen-- thanks! What I usually do at Mexican restaurants is have a dinner salad with salsa instead of dressing and chicken tortilla soup. I'll check the menu and see what my options are. I never touch the chips-- too hard to stop.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Jessica I did hire a contractor whose name was given to me by another dogwalker. I had seen (and used) the bathroom he installed for her and it looked fine.

Unfortunately I agreed to pay him cash - at his suggestion - to avoid paying 13% tax on the job (which would have been several thousand dollars). I have no record of his doing the work as he suggested I pick up and pay for all of the fixtures and tiles.

I think he totally conned me, knowing this was the first time I'd hired anyone to do a reno (me and my big mouth told him that) and making sure I had no recourse to get anything he did wrong fixed.

It is going to be an expensive lesson. I seem to learn best that way but it still hurts all the same.

I am probably going to post pics of the hole DH had to cut in the wall, the garbage bags and duct tape waterproofing the tub enclosure, and the mess that is our living room ceiling on Facebook. I will make some glib comment. I will also send same to him.

Oh and he was also very careful to not give me any ammunition vie emails or phone messages.

Dagmar (live and learn)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #29  
in development

Testing to see if I can post in a bigger font from my phone.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #30  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Doesn't look bigger from here, Silverbirch. By the way, is a "jumper" the British word for "sweater"? I've been reading a lot of P. D. James, and now you used it.

Dagmar, we have notoriously bad "contractors" in Florida. I had one walk off the job--fortunately he had finished most of what we wanted, but I was still out some money. Oh--and his "helper" used my bathroom and stole meds! I couldn't prove it, though.

Here is what I've learned:

- What you want is a Licensed, Insured and/or Bonded person doing the work. That is, a REAL plumber, not just a guy with a wrench. A REAL electrician. That doesn't mean you can't be conned--lots of lousy folks out there even with licenses.

- Ask to SEE proof of the license and the insurance. Ask the contractor for references of jobs he has done.

- Never let your neighbor work on your house because he does "a lot of work for other folks." No matter how inexpensive! If someone is injured while working on your house, you could be liable. And they may not know sh!t about how to do the job.

- Never pay in cash. Never pay in advance. Always get an estimate in advance in writing that includes a maximum. Always get receipts in writing.

- Get references from the contractor. Don't rely on someone telling you about what a good guy someone is. They may just like to get cheap work done and don't know what's good and what isn't.

- For that matter, maybe you don't want to let DH work on your house. Otherwise you could be facing plastic bags for a long time.

Do you have Angie's List in Canada, or its equivalent?

Michele, I don't drink either, and I don't think I look weird to anyone. Most people don't worry about what you're drinking. I hope you go and have a nice time.

Last edited by JayEll; 01-14-2014 at 06:00 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote