Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Two ponds on my basement floor this morning. Apparently the waterproofing the previous homeowner did is not up to snuff. Coupled with the leak from my bathroom into the living room and I'm surrounded by water. Good thing I'm a Pisces

I woke DH up to show him the water - we had a previous small leak confined to the bathroom and he thought it was the sink or toilet. His comment? "That sucks".

Then he went back to bed while I cleaned up what I could with a bucket and three sponges. During work today I will have to get to a store and buy a mop and wringer bucket. I'm going to be doing a lot of swabbing this winter.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #62  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Dagmar, consider a wet/dry shop vac - advice from a man who's spent some time removing water from his basement.

To use it as a wet vac, you empty the contents and remove the air filter. Then suck away.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

That does suck Dagmar. I'm a Pisces too and I would be distraught with all that water.

Megan-- wow! You are strong! Way to go!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Mary Poppins was one of my childhood favorites as well with a Spoonful of Sugar my favorite song. I bought the VHS tape for DD when she was little and she enjoyed it as well. It is very long, though! Seems to me that she never got through the whole movie, usually stopped somewhere in the animated part.

Dagmar~so sorry about the leaks, but I do second the vote for a shop vac. They're terribly efficient and useful for all sorts of messes you'd prefer not to use on your good vacuum.

Golfing this afternoon after grocery shopping. DH is doing the Costco run and will get two rotisserie chickens to entice Chico to eat. He was off on Thursday night and Friday morning meals but seems to be back on track today, but he certainly is not gaining any weight which makes me sad.

DD and her fiancé are finally coming today to pick up her cats. Three weeks is just too long!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

We have a shop vac - never occurred to me to use an electrical appliance to suck up water. I got a mop and bucket and got the water up. Then went outside and determined how the water was coming IN. We are basically dry now but the house will need some waterproofing in spring, a different downspout disconnect, and a new eavestrough slant.

Tomorrow I have to spend $300 on an extension ladder. SIGH.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #66  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
At the risk of showing more of my craziness.…

The song "Chim-Chimney" scares me. I like it but in a way that hits me very intensely and it creeps me out. Ever since I was a kid.

It's very weird.
Well, it should, Jen. It is a wistful song, but as an aficionado of the 19th century, I can tell you that it ought to be even sadder, as "Mary Poppins" is a whitewash job on the late Victorian period. Chimney sweeps were basically child labor, mostly six-year-old orphans whom their masters took from a workhouse, and most of them died young from cancer, from breathing in coal dust and creosote fumes. Take that, twinkly-eyed Dick Van Dyke.

I just saw "Nebraska" today. A low-key, affectionately satirical little black & white gem. Glad I got out this afternoon in the all-day rain to the theater.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #67  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar, argh about the water. Home ownership - such a joy. We are taking our leaking shower offline, I think today - and will soon find out where the long-term leak(s?) originated.

I'm over my stress about the remodel moving up. DH and I have leapt off the cliff hand-in-hand, with the attitude of "well, it's just money - we'll make more". This project has waited wayyyyy too long to be done, and maybe it's a good thing that we have been forced to wrap it up. It will make living here much more pleasant. The doors and moldings are ordered and today I will start on the clearing/removal of all the stuff stored in the old sauna that's going to become part of our new closet. If I get as far as pulling out the bench, I will call that a very good day.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote