3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Winning the Battle of the Bulge (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/290659-maintainers-winning-battle-bulge.html)

saef 12-20-2013 05:49 AM

This morning, I'm 150.9, and sore from my treadmill running in a way that I'm never sore from spin.

Yes, I actually lost weight on the week before Christmas.

And I thank everyone for talking about what back muscles can do to the fit of clothes. Yesterday I put on a vintage Ralph Lauren blazer that I bought in March, and that just barely fit me back then -- bought it on eBay, based on the seller's measurements -- and found it was nowhere near fitting me. That made me sad. But what interested me was that it was tight in the shoulders and upper arms. That is unusual for me. In the past, when a blazer didn't fit me, the shoulders and arms would be fine or even loose while it wouldn't button across my breasts and stomach. This time, I knew it wouldn't fit the minute I shrugged into it, before even trying to button it. It's only a faint crumb of comfort to know that I didn't simply eat my way up one size; instead, I've exercised my way up one size.

traveling michele 12-20-2013 10:38 AM

Remember me buying some clothes online on Black Monday (or whatever it's called-- I'm operating on no sleep or coffee)? I tried on the three dresses I bought. Two are one size, and one is a size smaller. The smaller one and one of the larger ones fit great. The other one (larger size)-- I can't even pull it over my head. It's going back obviously.

As I was typing, a little girl came in to the library to give me a present. She said-- open it-- it's your favorite! Every year she gives me Toblerone. This year she also gave me Lindt truffles. Dh and dd's will be having very high quality chocolate this year!Hopefully I won't.

Dagmar-- I need to also get down some before the real holidays hit so I'm not even higher next year. I gained six pounds last year during the holidays and I've been battling them unsuccessfully all year. Not this year. No way. No how. (hopefully)

JayZeeJay 12-20-2013 11:23 AM

Hi all,

Sorry for being AWOL for a while. I fell into a pit of work craziness and personal craziness, but at least one result is that we finally bought a house! We've been trying for a while but the bidding wars out here have repeatedly crushed our hopes. I think being one of the few couples desperate enough to keep trying over the holidays paid off.

I also found that article about the nut metabolism etc. very interesting.

Re the clothes fitting - I've never had great luck with fitted jackets and blazers given my broad shoulders. Even when I weighed around 125 (for five minutes in college), my shoulders were very broad so I think it's just my skeletal framework.

I haven't weighed myself in a while, my ancient digital scale finally died. I had planned to get a new one soon, see how the two compared, then switch over. Too late now! I think I've probably maintained this month with little loss, but hopefully little gain too.

Shannon in ATL 12-20-2013 11:49 AM

Taryl - I just had the same thing happen, exactly. I ordered three new bras in the same size and exact style as the old, stretched out ones I'm currently wearing. Um, no. Not very comfortable at all. I think I have women weight lifter back, shoulders and thighs, all have increased in size. LOL

alinnell 12-20-2013 11:54 AM

Congrats on getting a house, Jay!!!!

I can never get the same bras twice in a row. I find I like a certain style, they start to look worn (even after just a year) and I go to order a new one and the style is gone. My last attempt had me order three (one in each of the three "normal" colors) and I tried it on, even tried wearing it for a while. The thing just HURT. So I took them back and ordered a different style (which I like a lot). Perhaps I should just go and buy three more and stow them away for next year?

BillBlueEyes 12-20-2013 12:14 PM

I couldn't take it - all this talk of sardines. So I ditched my planned standard peanut butter, banana, and pecan sandwich for . . . King Oscar sardines, in olive oil, double layer, cross pack.

So good.

Thanks for reminding me. I buy them then forget them in the pantry.

I've always assumed that a can is a single serving. I have no concept of putting a half can of sardines in the fridge - the delightful sardine smell would be much less delightful when it impregnated all the other foods.

Arctic Mama 12-20-2013 12:26 PM

I'm definitely not discounting some dimensional changes in my back and shoulders - that has been one of my primary focuses in my TTap workouts lately, since I tend to naturally round out my shoulders and hunch if I'm not conscientious of my posture.

And then there's the way-too-much-food thing, too :lol:

Probably a little of column a, little of column b. I have always been broad up top and a mesomorph, by body type. Strengths training tends to tighten me up and cinch me in, but in a garment like bras (especially while I'm still nursing) I could see even small dimensional changes feeling noticeable to me.

Either way - I'm not going to stop my workouts and I DO need to stop my unplanned snacking issue in the evenings. I'm giving myself permission to undermine my goals, and that's not cool at all.

Last night, for example, I was doing great. And then I made gingerbread icecream. What was I doing even perusing a dessert blog, low carb or no? While I'd rather have an on-plan treat on hand so I don't dive into a pile of fruitcake, it would have been wiser to wait until today, when I was hungry and had the calorie and carb budget to spend, to make that batch. Little things like that have added up over the fall and those are the areas I want to put a concerted effort into adjusting.

bargoo 12-20-2013 01:15 PM

Excuse me, folks, I am off to the pantry to see if I have any sardines.

bargoo 12-20-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverbirch (Post 4902469)
Devilled sardines on toast are very nice.

How do you make these ?

krampus 12-20-2013 02:05 PM

Sardines are actually one of a very few foods I can't stand! More for you guys.

Bulge alert - my usual range of 118-121 max is now 120-123 max. Definitely holiday pounds - exercise hasn't been amazing of late and there have been lots of sweets (and chicken wings) finding their way into my belly.

My bra size is something ridiculous like 34AA. The bra-fitting police are skeptical, but I really am that flat and that jacked - lots of lat pulldowns, pullups, chinups, the works.

Shannon in ATL 12-20-2013 02:22 PM

I've never eaten sardines, ever. How should I try them first? I find them a little intimidating. :)

silverbirch 12-20-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bargoo (Post 4903042)
How do you make these ?

I mash them up (bones an' all) with a little bit of paprika or possibly chile powder. Toast the bread on one side (under the grill). Turn over. Pile the mashed sardines across the other side and grill until hot. Eat with a little something green, perhaps watercress. I have been known to prepare a clementine or something like that and arrange the segments nicely on the plate.

Note: I think that 'grill' is 'broil' in American. I'll just go and check. ... Yes, under a source of direct, dry heat.

It's an ideal small and comforting lunch. The secret, I think, is not to let the toast burn at the edges.

Arctic Mama 12-20-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes (Post 4903005)
I couldn't take it - all this talk of sardines. So I ditched my planned standard peanut butter, banana, and pecan sandwich for . . . King Oscar sardines, in olive oil, double layer, cross pack.

So good.

Thanks for reminding me. I buy them then forget them in the pantry.

I've always assumed that a can is a single serving. I have no concept of putting a half can of sardines in the fridge - the delightful sardine smell would be much less delightful when it impregnated all the other foods.

I'm pretty sure the can is single serving, sardines are delicate and spoil easily. I always just record the data for the whole can and enjoy every bite :)

Arctic Mama 12-20-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krampus (Post 4903072)
Sardines are actually one of a very few foods I can't stand! More for you guys.

Bulge alert - my usual range of 118-121 max is now 120-123 max. Definitely holiday pounds - exercise hasn't been amazing of late and there have been lots of sweets (and chicken wings) finding their way into my belly.

My bra size is something ridiculous like 34AA. The bra-fitting police are skeptical, but I really am that flat and that jacked - lots of lat pulldowns, pullups, chinups, the works.

You have a really broad ribcage! Mine is also a 32-34, I'm just forty pounds heavier than you :). Women come in all shapes and sizes, if you've measured properly and have a well cut bra, there's no problem being smaller in the bust. It's just a different aesthetic than a larger bust, and arguably a heck of a lot easier to clothe! I'm a 32I in us sizes right now, and a 75H from this particular manufacturer. Most clothing is cut way too closely in the bust and having broad shoulders and a broad back just worsens that.

In my wedding pictures to my husband, all fat aside, I look like a linebacker :o. He is tall and slender, I'm short and broad. Oh well!

Arctic Mama 12-20-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL (Post 4903080)
I've never eaten sardines, ever. How should I try them first? I find them a little intimidating. :)

If you're lazy like me, I pop the can, drain lightly, and then squirt on some yellow mustard. Fork is optional :D

Hot sauce is also an excellent sardine topping, as are capers and lemon juice. Salt may or may not be useful, it depends on what brand of sardine we're talking about.