3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers Winning the Battle of the Bulge

Old 02-07-2014, 05:46 AM   #406

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I didn't realize how much working in the storm and aftermath had taken out of me. I had my glass bowl of Minneola segments set out in front of me, and was snuggling with Mishi on the couch while basking in the warmth of our plushy throw and the fireplace - aka small propane heater . I fell asleep after eating about half the segments - one orange - and just went up to bed when finished the chores I still had to do after this nap. And then I managed to read a bit more of my book until I crashed.

The TV wasn't on while I was in the living room. I think I'm reacting to the TV the same way DH does. What is that Iggy Pop line - something about "hypnotizing chickens"? I fall into a kind of lethargic, trance-like state when the TV is on, unless it's something specific I've chosen to watch. I snack during this state without really tasting or appreciating what I'm eating.

I rarely spend any time in the living room alone during the evenings. DH is almost always there and he clicks on the TV as soon as he enters the room.

I think I will ask for one or two evenings a week without the TV.

Dagmar TGIF

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #407
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/<148

Height: 5'7.5"

Dagmar, I read (no citations, sorry!) that it's a good idea to cut out all electronic visual stuff (tv, kindle, iPad, smartphone, computers) an hour before going to bed - something about the light, frequencies, and stimulation disturbs sleep patterns. For me, this seems to be true the majority of the time. Snuggling on the couch with a willing furbaby sounds like a glorious way to spend the evening. Only thing better would be a willing human, LOL! Yeah, not going to happen at my house either.

silverbirch, the apple and cottage cheese combo sounds delightful! It sounds like you have a very good groove going and it's giving you some positive mental stuffs. Enjoy the number play - there is so much fun to be had in the world of statistics - regressions, trends, standard deviations, curve fits, correlations, hypothesis testing ... sorry, my inner nerd got loose!

Spouse gets home tonight after 10 days on the road. DS14 makes his first appearance back at school after being flattened for 3 days with a bug. I forgot to weigh this morning but some of the jiggles are reducing. No snow in the forecast; I think I can make it to the pool tomorrow morning!

And yes, TGIF!!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #408

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Still up a pound over last Sunday's low, but that's okay. I actually came in a little high in calories yesterday but my weight was the same as yesterday morning today so I'm okay with it.

DH also clicks on the TV the minute he comes home, too. While I don't find the TV causes me to snack, I do find that if I don't sit down at some time I will snack. The TV is in the family room which is part of the kitchen. If I'm in the kitchen with the TV on it often leads me to snack. But if I sit on the couch I am more likely not to snack. Weird, I know.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #409
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)158/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

151.6 this morning.

All performance goals for the year are set, thank goodness, after five hour-long meetings this week, one with each of my direct reports. I get my own with my manager next Thursday.

I should have a quietly busy day with my head down on the job today, until insanity breaks loose on Monday.

I find myself inexplicably depressed. Or maybe understandably depressed, since I've lived such a confined life all week, working from home, with two consecutive snow storms. Haven't been anywhere but the gym since Tuesday evening.

I need some kind of fun this weekend. Badly.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #410

I'm just glad to know dh isn't alone in his worship of the TV.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #411
in development

Height: 5' 6"

OK, darlings. I've been in this latest phase for a calendar month and I've lost 5.5lbs! I do seem to be in the groove and I'm delighted. I think I look thinner - or at least less fat. It's got to be good for my joints and I intend to keep going. Allison and I have some way to go by the summer and I feel sure we'll make it. That's right, isn't it, Allison?

Becky, yes, the apple and CC combo is a winner for me. @yourinnnernerd It means that when I get to t-distribution I don't need to eat that much. (To get this rather weak statistical joke, you have to remember that tea is my evening meal.)

Bill, I am so sensitive and allergic and everything. I have found that the sulphur in wine and the sulphur in apricots makes me flush and become short of breath. It's unattractive and anti-health. Anyway, I like the chewiness of the unsulphured ones and the beautiful variation in colour. I can't really see the point of adding this element to food so I avoid it. Ours do come from Turkey, as it happens. I don't think that Californian apricots make it over this far. Raisins do though. On that subject, I don't really like the way that paraffin oil is added to them. Rantity rant. I could go on.

Dagmar, I've also read the same stuff as Becky about not being visually stimulation by screens before bed.

Everyone else, keep warm and dry, please. We are doing our best here.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #412

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I find myself inexplicably depressed. Or maybe understandably depressed, since I've lived such a confined life all week, working from home, with two consecutive snow storms. Haven't been anywhere but the gym since Tuesday evening.

I need some kind of fun this weekend. Badly.
I have horrible cabin fever myself.

Ok saef, promise us that you will do something FUN!! What are you thinking?

Jen

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try I'll never know!" ~ Wicked ~

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said 'I just don't care!'" ~ Pink ~

http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/

My goal reached thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ncers-say.html
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #413

S/C/G: 178/124/125

Height: 5'5"

That's great news Birchie! I've been waiting with bated breath to hear of your loss!

I'm pretty happy that my weight is down about 3 pounds since I started calorie counting. I started thinking about when I dieted unsuccessfully in the past. I used to "diet" for a few days and if I didn't immediately lose at least five pounds, I would declare it impossible. Now I know I have to stick with it for the long haul.

I know I have a challenge tomorrow-- dh wants to do "our" Italian restaurant which will undoubtedly spike my loss right back on. Another challenge on Sunday as I will be having a potluck at the book club. That challenge should be easier to handle as I probably just won't have anything.

Very grouchy at work today. It's raining so all of the (WILD) kids are here for recess. The classes I have had are all coming with subs and are extra crazy. I just wanna go home.

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
298/365 workouts
234 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #414

Default Rewards

I started thinking about rewards this afternoon. I find the carrot preferable to the stick - like most people I imagine. So why have I been rewarding myself by ingesting substances that make me feel sick, tired, and depressed? Habit. These things satisfied some need for me in the past and I'm still lapsing into consuming them, by habit.

So what would be a better reward? I don't want/need a lot of stuff, unless it's stuff that gives me a pleasurable experience, like books or CD's or DVD's. I spent the better part of a year and a half throwing out my parents' stuff and my own so I don't want to gather any more. One can only wear one pair of pants/shoes/sweater at a time and I don't need or have space for 20 of each.

So what should my reward - for getting through a h*llish day or staying OP or both at the same time - be?

Experiences. Like attending events and or/going out to dinner or a movie.

I'm going to start by taking DH out tomorrow to see the Guggenheim paintings that are currently on display here in Toronto, followed by dinner at a Mexican restaurant that Anthony Bourdain was raving about. This will be much more satisfying than sitting in front of the TV drinking beer and eating chips, or gulping down candy.

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Old 02-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #415

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Silverbirch - Thanks for your thoughts about Sulfur Dioxide in apricots. DW is on a new kick for us to get away from additives and pesticides; she wants our fruits and veggies to be as organic as reasonable. To that end, I just bought two quarts of organic strawberries for $5/quart while lusting for the conventional at $2.50 per quart.

The varied color and the varied, sometimes hardened, texture of the un-sulfured apricots was what turned me off in the past. Perhaps I can adopt your cheerful attitude and grow to like them.

Just checked the bag of my Trader Joe's California Golden Raisins that I absolutely adore. (The very raisins that got me into snacking trouble for which I'm trying to recover.) They're bathed in Sulfur Dioxide also. Yikes! I'm surrounded. Maybe I would benefit by buying raisins that don't so resonate with me.

And Congrats on that lovely scale drop for January.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #416
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quick note before bed.

Dagmar, have a lovely time tomorrow. You'll really enjoy the pictures.

Thanks for the congrats and support! It really helps.

Bill, you have either to be a bit rugged and channel your inner pioneer or plan ahead and soak the apricots. That's awful about the golden raisins (= our sultanas?). The SO2 is to keep the colour, I think.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #417

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Silver & Bill~you can always dry your own organic fruit. I've had a lot of success drying apricots. I think grapes would be bit difficult, however.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #418
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/137/130-135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Losing the battle of the bulge

That's it, in a nutshell.

I have the usual litany of excuses - overwhelmed with work and moving, dying pet - but there's always something.

There was a news article about the woman who won Biggest Loser, and they quoted her as saying that she went down to working part-time in order to go to four exercise classes each day. I HATED her when I read that. If you can work 20 hours a week and go to four classes a day then yes, it probably does greatly improve your chances of losing weight. What about those of us with 60 hour work weeks - do we just give up? I try to stock healthy food, but I can't keep up with 2-3 meals per day at work right now, and the kitchen in our new place is six feet deep in boxes so there's no cooking or storing food yet.

I'm so down that I want to cancel our wedding and just get married in city hall. We would be eating about $7K but I don't mind that. It's telling my mother that I cannot face doing. So, I am plodding along with the wedding plan while reconciling myself to wearing some garbage bag shaped garment and banning all photography.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #419

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
That's it, in a nutshell.

I have the usual litany of excuses - overwhelmed with work and moving, dying pet - but there's always something.

There was a news article about the woman who won Biggest Loser, and they quoted her as saying that she went down to working part-time in order to go to four exercise classes each day. I HATED her when I read that. If you can work 20 hours a week and go to four classes a day then yes, it probably does greatly improve your chances of losing weight. What about those of us with 60 hour work weeks - do we just give up? I try to stock healthy food, but I can't keep up with 2-3 meals per day at work right now, and the kitchen in our new place is six feet deep in boxes so there's no cooking or storing food yet.

I'm so down that I want to cancel our wedding and just get married in city hall. We would be eating about $7K but I don't mind that. It's telling my mother that I cannot face doing. So, I am plodding along with the wedding plan while reconciling myself to wearing some garbage bag shaped garment and banning all photography.
You are under a huge amount of stress JayZee. Of the major stressors in life - I believe there are 6 - you are experiencing 3 one right on top of the other. Your wedding will be about making a public commitment to the person you love, not about how much you weigh. I'm sure you will look beautiful in any dress you wear to everyone at the event. Give yourself a break.

Dagmar

Old 02-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #420

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Sending cyber-hugs to JayZeeJay
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.