Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #316  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Almost forgot to post!

No butter or peanut butter on Sunday or today (Monday). I'll put in today as I'm just off to bed to read a book. Streak is 27.

time, I think. We can get through this bit.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #317  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Hard day #2 done. Tomorrow it will again be minus a million degree wind chill but at least I won't be crying all day while driving in the blowing snow.

We decided to give Mud pain meds. Her distress seems directly linked to digestion and its end products - TMI. The pain meds made our other cat (Mishka) totally dopey. If they also put Mud into a semi-coma then it'll be time to end things.

I found a vet who will come to the house so it will be relatively peaceful and with Mud's own things surrounding her.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #318  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Dagmar, I'm so sorry. Please, if you are willing to talk about her, tell me how this cat came into your life and how she got her name. I've always been intrigued by you working with dogs but coming home in the evening to a pair of cats.

I'll see if I lose weight while Upstate, as I often seem to do, probably because I'm not seated at a desk all day and I'm out & about & not snacking as much.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:55 PM   #319  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Hard day #2 done. Tomorrow it will again be minus a million degree wind chill but at least I won't be crying all day while driving in the blowing snow.

We decided to give Mud pain meds. Her distress seems directly linked to digestion and its end products - TMI. The pain meds made our other cat (Mishka) totally dopey. If they also put Mud into a semi-coma then it'll be time to end things.

I found a vet who will come to the house so it will be relatively peaceful and with Mud's own things surrounding her.

Dagmar
Dagmar, I hope the pain meds make Mudpie comfortable and not too doped.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:31 AM   #320  

I will post longer about Mudpie tonite (if I'm still standing). We gave her meds last night, she slept through, didn't poop on the rug, and was there to greet me, take her thyroid meds, and eat brekkie in the morning. She seems quite alert.

She IS 17 1/2 (approx) years old so I know she won't have much longer. I just want whatever she does have to be comfortable. I think this might work for a couple of months.

Dagmar
Old 01-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #321  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Hugs to Dagmar as she comforts her kitty in her old age. Gosh, it is so hard when our fur babies ail.

Was OP all day and feeling really good about it and succumbed to DH's suggestion to have a whiskey. I had forsaken alcohol on week days all week last week and didn't miss it at all. Perhaps something still lingering and making me sad made me do it. Anyway, it wasn't pure destruction. I still ate well. And this morning I'm down again--all that sodium from Sunday is gone, plus more! That said, I will NOT succumb tonight.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #322  
Workin' It

Dagmar

I've been good with exercise for three weeks. No other 'streaks' I can brag on.

to those who are on track.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #323  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hugs to you Dagmar.
I saw an initial whoosh of two pounds on Sunday and now I'm slowly meandering upwards again. Sigh. On day four of no grapes. Yesterday, we had staff development (no students)-- the snacks were everywhere!!!! They had grapes and I was so tempted-- thinking I'm not having the popcorn, hot chocolate, homemade cakes, etc., but in the end, I didn't have any. I had a very low calorie day in fact so I'm kind of surprised the scale is up. However, I think it's time I see the chiro again as my back is killing me so maybe that's related??
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #324  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
I had a very low calorie day in fact so I'm kind of surprised the scale is up.
Ditto. Except I'm not surprised. Because nothing the scale does can surprise me anymore!!

My kitty was feeling pretty low last night, though she is eating some baby food and wet cat food. This is starting to worry me that it's more than just a dental problem, though it came on relatively suddenly as an abscessed tooth might. Her procedure is tomorrow so we'll know more then. She's drooling too - I woke up to a sticky wet patch in my armpit, she had fallen asleep with her head on my shoulder.

Yes please, how did Mudpie get her name? That's wonderful that she has made it to 17.5 years!!
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #325  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I think the cold and the white and the being shut in the house have gotten to me. I am having an "off" day, to put it mildly, and I'm just going to get it out of my system and start again tomorrow. Tomorrow, I don't care if it takes me four hours ... I am going in to work! And to swimming! (Becky's starting to lose it, folks).

Edited to add - the only thing that appears to be going right is that the scale is going down. Go figure. And my head's so far, um, in the wrong direction that I'm actually annoyed by that, because I don't "deserve" to be lower.

Last edited by ICUwishing; 01-28-2014 at 11:40 AM.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #326  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post

My kitty was feeling pretty low last night, though she is eating some baby food and wet cat food. This is starting to worry me that it's more than just a dental problem, though it came on relatively suddenly as an abscessed tooth might. Her procedure is tomorrow so we'll know more then. She's drooling too - I woke up to a sticky wet patch in my armpit, she had fallen asleep with her head on my shoulder.

!
I'm sure it's her tooth. They feel miserable when they have dental issues. She'll be back to her old self soon!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #327  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Dagmar

I've been good with exercise for three weeks. No other 'streaks' I can brag on.

to those who are on track.
Never occurred to me to count exercise as a "streak". I've done exceptionally well there - probably had at least a 36 YEAR streak of exercising at least 4-5 times per week for about 30-45 minutes each session. I even still kept walking the winter I broke my wrist. I had a scarf wrapped around the cast and was hiking around 2 days after it happened.

If you want to make me don't let me go outside. After more than one day indoors I start craving being outside.

Dagmar
Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #328  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

No butter or peanut butter on Tuesday. Streak is 28. I had a good session at the gymn - movement-based flexibility with dumbbells and one-legged toe touches and squats. I think my tummy is looking smaller.

Good luck with Mudpie tonight, Dagmar. Fantastic exercise streak, by the way!

JayZeeJay, hope all goes well at the vet's.

Love all round. Sad news today about Pete Seeger. The world is a poorer place for his passing.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #329  

Default My cats - yes there are two

I rarely talk about Mishka, our other cat, as he is quiet, timid, snuggly, and never does anything wrong. He is a sweet guy and I enjoy cuddling with him on the couch. He is going to be 16 in April and his legs are really bad. He has arthritis and some nerve damage in his back due to rough handling by a VET years ago.

Mudpie is the extroverted adventurer of our household. The rest of us are kinda shy, anxious, and a bit neurotic.

Both Mishka and Mudpie came from a cat rescue that picks up strays in the Kensington Market area of Toronto. http://www.kensington-market.ca/Default.asp?id=home&l=1

We got Mishka first. He was still a kitten, although almost a teenager. He is a grey tabby. He was very muscular and graceful, and always posed himself with his paws, tail, and body just so. We named him in honour of Mikhail Baryshnikov https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...60157871,d.b2I

Mudpie came a couple of weeks after Mishka. She was an adult female tortoishell who turned out to have long hair (she looked like a short haired cat before we started grooming her). The cat rescue people had found her in a parking lot, inside a cardboard box where she'd given birth to a litter of kittens. All of her kittens had been given home when we picked her up or we would have gotten one of them as well.

We met Muddy at the foster mom's home. There were 3 of her own cats present. We got out a package of cat treats and started making friends. The foster mom went to look for Mudpie as she wasn't coming forward with the others. Mud was in her kitchen, on top of the stove, trying to fish one of the wieners the woman was making for dinner out of the pot boiling away. She was quite miffed at being thwarted in this but, when seeing that DH had treats, she ran up to him, jumped in his lap, and bit him in the thumb!

I think it was love at first sight (or is that bite) for both of them. We immediately said that this cat was the one we wanted, much to the foster mom's amazement.

After getting her home and having her around for a few days we still couldn't agree on a name. I wanted to call her Ember because she was black and orange and had a tuft of bright orange fur on the end of her tail. DH snorted every time I said this.

He finally came up with the name Mudpie for two reasons. First, her colouring is a bit like the dessert "Mississippi Mud Pie". Second, she is a bit of a slob - always has been. She is pretty indifferent to grooming and will often be found walking around with kitty litter on the end of her nose. She has "bed head" at least two or three mornings a week which I comb out for her. So DH thought that "Mudpie" was the perfect name for her. I agreed and from then on that was her name.

She has lived up to it over the years. She is rowdy and cheerful and playful - I call her the tortie labrador retriever. She likes to chew the furniture - yes CHEW - and has left her mark on this house by gnawing the corners of the teak sideboard. She will eat anything - tortilla chips, olives, raw meat and fish, walnut crullers, grapes, etc. She still rarely "combs" her hair and when she lies down it looks like she's been dropped from a great height and splattered, rather than gracefully posing like Mishi.

During her over 16 years with us Mudpie has amused and charmed us. She has exasperated and alarmed us. She is a one-of-a-kind larger-than-life character and an amazing creature. She has loved us with every ounce of her now 7 lb. furry self, loudly and exuberantly. And we have loved and still love her back.

She is my little "Stefania" and my heart will break into a million pieces when she dies. I hope I can let her go when she is still comfortable and still knows that we are with her and love her.

Dagmar
Old 01-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #330  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Oh, Dagmar, that is a wonderful story! A beautiful tribute. I can just see her now.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote