Maintainers Winning the Battle of the Bulge

You're on Page 18 of 34
Go to
  • Quote: mars, have we said hello and ? I'm not sure we have. It's good to have you around!
    Thanks silverbirch! Somehow I missed the intro thread, coming here via google. This forum/thread has become an angel on my shoulder as I go through the day and confront my eating challenges.
    btw love your avatar.
  • I'm with neurodoc - apologies on the lack of posting! Things have been busy here, and somewhat stressful. I'm equally on and off track, it seems, with some good days and some major overeating, though it is of on-plan food. I am trying some new things in terms of food timing to see if that helps the overeating situation. Much of it just seems to be plain laziness in the evenings.

(I was also just diagnosed hypothyroid, so I began Armour this morning. Hopefully that helps some of the hunger issues, fatigue, and ridiculously slow losses even when I'm 100% on plan)
  • Quote: I'm with neurodoc - apologies on the lack of posting! Things have been busy here, and somewhat stressful. I'm equally on and off track, it seems, with some good days and some major overeating, though it is of on-plan food. I am trying some new things in terms of food timing to see if that helps the overeating situation. Much of it just seems to be plain laziness in the evenings.

(I was also just diagnosed hypothyroid, so I began Armour this morning. Hopefully that helps some of the hunger issues, fatigue, and ridiculously slow losses even when I'm 100% on plan)
    Hopefully the Armour will help. I'm on a combo of Armour and Synthroid myself.
  • Saef - it was interesting that you mentioned the being home and sneaking into the kitchen every 1/2 hour. I had that epiphany last night - one of the reasons that it is so hard right now is I feel just trapped in the house. When it's nice weather out, after dinner I'm outside playing with the dogs or gardening or something productive. But when it's -20 degrees, I'm just sitting there at the computer and I feel compelled to travel to the kitchen continuously. It always just picking here and picking there, but it adds up!

So last night after dinner I emptied the master bathroom, got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the heck out of all the ceramic tile. It looks great and I did something productive!

Of course, the other reason that my weight is up is that for every single bite of peanut butter that silverbirch has resisted, I have shoved down my throat. So it's partially your fault, Silver!!

Yesterday I ate perfect and had an awesome exercise day. It seems only fair that one day like that should erase 20 days of not so much!!

Jen
  • No butter or peanut butter on Tuesday. Streak is 21.

Quote: for every single bite of peanut butter that silverbirch has resisted, I have shoved down my throat. So it's partially your fault, Silver!!
    Jen, I'm very sorry about this. I must have got the spell wrong somehow. I thought I was putting the peanut butter deep into the mid Atlantic but I must have overshot and it's ended up with you in New York State. I'll cast the spell again tonight but you might have to put the 'fluence on it your end too!

Dagmar, I do like the sound of restorative yoga. Btw, cleanliness is over-rated, I'm sure! Sorry about the alcohol streak.

saef, I hope you're out of the kitchen. Kitchens are also over-rated places. Can you hang a 'SHUT UNTIL 6PM' sign on the door? (That's not possible here, unfortunately, as you have to walk through it to get to the loo.)

Allison, you're going to be on a roll very soon (and I'm going to be slipstreaming)!

Rita, 600lbs is a lot.

mars, glad you like my avatar. I think I've grown into her over the years!

Taryl, re the Armour.

to everyone else!
  • Taryl, I'm on Armour too. I have been ratcheting down in dose about every year and I'm now on the smallest dose made. I am really hoping that my spring followup will be the end of it; there seems to be an increasing frequency of little things that make me think even the tiny dose is now too big. Sadly, none of those events are weight-related, darn it! I found it did wonders for my sleep quality, mental sharpness, and the constant cold feeling though.

saef, I've also caught myself staring wistfully into the pantry or fridge way too many times when working at home. Just "checking", I guess. As far as I can tell, nothing is created/disappears/reproduces behind those doors when I don't check - it's always the same.

dagmar, the restorative yoga sounds terrific! You do need something selfish to look forward to. I thought about attempting the no-alcohol streak, but a glass of wine can keep me out of much bigger snacking trouble in the evening. I've resorted to a mental checklist: Am I sure I want it? Would a glass of water or tea be just as good? Can I rationalize the calories? It helped me talk myself out of a few glasses, so I'm calling it good.

Andrea, ! Good to see you again. I lost my first long post just the other day and had a similar reaction. Grrrr!

Hi, Lisa, welcome!

allison, congrats on the drop ... you are on your way!

apo9, I watched a couple episodes for the first time recently. I don't know how to explain it well, but I don't think I'll watch any more.

Jen, I wish your formula of 1:20 were reality - that would be great!

Not much to report on my end; my results equal my effort (minimal). I'm definitely heading to the pool tonight, unless the roads get crummy from the latest snow.
  • Apo9, I'm with Becky (ICUWishing) - nothing good has ever come of voyeurism, and that show is guaranteed to trigger a whole bunch of associations around eating, none of them desirable. Stay away!

I went from Synthroid to Armour a couple of months ago, because T3 levels were low despite normal-range TSH and T4. Like everyone else I suppose, I was avidly hoping it would make a difference to my metabolism. Sadly, it has done absolutely nothing on the weight front. I'm generally warmer this winter, but I attribute that to an extra 10 pounds of fat, not to the Armour.

Saef/Jen - I also feel the call of the kitchen on days off. I admire my DH, who works from home and seems able to resist the kitchen's lures except for mealtimes.
  • I see how it is Silver- you're working out, getting strong, and overthrow your mark and I pay the price !!!

2 days of rigorous calorie control and intense exercise and I'm already over it. Makes me wonder how I ever lost weight in the first place!!!

Jen
  • Hi all. I caved and had half a piece of cinnamon quick bread but put the other half back. You are all right. I do fine all day when I'm busy but come evening the kitchen calls my name.
    Weather wise it's freezing again and snowing again. I'm so ready for spring.
  • Quote: Thanks silverbirch! Somehow I missed the intro thread, coming here via google. This forum/thread has become an angel on my shoulder as I go through the day and confront my eating challenges.
    btw love your avatar.
    Welcome and good luck!
  • Going offline more often after work (whenever "after work" is), is a good thing.

Getting to bed even 15 minutes earlier is a good thing.

Chewing less sugarfree, gas- and bloat-causing gum is a good thing. In fact, abstinence from it for two days straight is a truly remarkable thing.

Now breathe. And remember to put on lipstick for the WebEx presentation I'm giving this afternoon. It's just 15 minutes. That's all. I can live through that. If I can live through a 15-minute treadmill sprint, or 15 minutes on the StairMaster, I can live through that. I will come out the other side of it. Even if I bumble, even if I can't pass the presentation privileges to the co-presenter adeptly, I won't die. I'll just look awkward on the audience's monitor for a few seconds. Which doesn't result in instantaneous death.

Oh why is humiliation so awful that it seems worse than death? Any former fat girl ought to understand humiliation up & down & be able to get past it. I fear it so very much, though. I am terrified that I might be considered completely inept.
  • saef, I really hate talking to groups, no matter the size or if they're live or over a web telecast. Imagine me, president of a charity group having to lead meetings twice a month, being interviewed on television and emceeing a huge gala. Torture. But I got through it and you will, too.

I ate a little more than planned yesterday but my weight remained the same as the day before so I call that a win!
  • Good luck Saef! You'll rock it!!

I am a formerly severely shy person who could never speak in front of anyone. In a work situation if we had to introduce ourselves my heart would pound out of my chest. I find it interesting that somehow I've managed to come out of it more or less. I read to classes all day long-- granted they are kids which makes it easier but there are always adults watching and listening as well.

I asked to speak at my staff development day on Monday about our upcoming Read-a-thon. I immediately got a huge case of the nerves just thinking about it. There will be at least 50 teachers plus my admin there. The other wrinkle is that I have a dermatologist appointment right before, so I will A. be late and B. my skin might look terrible? (I'm having extractions done for acne-- I know TMI). Not sure if I can put makeup on before I go or not.

Very unhappy about my weight and my lack of progress. I keep telling myself before I get on the scale "The scale does not define me". Now if I just believed it.
  • Quote: Going offline more often after work (whenever "after work" is), is a good thing.

Getting to bed even 15 minutes earlier is a good thing.

Chewing less sugarfree, gas- and bloat-causing gum is a good thing. In fact, abstinence from it for two days straight is a truly remarkable thing.

Now breathe. And remember to put on lipstick for the WebEx presentation I'm giving this afternoon. It's just 15 minutes. That's all. I can live through that. If I can live through a 15-minute treadmill sprint, or 15 minutes on the StairMaster, I can live through that. I will come out the other side of it. Even if I bumble, even if I can't pass the presentation privileges to the co-presenter adeptly, I won't die. I'll just look awkward on the audience's monitor for a few seconds. Which doesn't result in instantaneous death.

Oh why is humiliation so awful that it seems worse than death? Any former fat girl ought to understand humiliation up & down & be able to get past it. I fear it so very much, though. I am terrified that I might be considered completely inept.
    "break a leg" saef!
  • Forgot to mention that it looks like my school will be forming a team to do the Ridiculous Obstacle Challenge! Looks like a blast so I'm sure I'll sign up though I'm not sure if I can do most of the challenges!
    http://rocrace.com/obstacles/