3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers Winning the Battle of the Bulge

Old 01-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #136
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/127/125

Height: 5'2"

Saef, I couldn't believe the amount of body "recomp" (trading fat for muscle) that I did when I went through the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. I'm told another good one is the "Lift like a Girl" program. Both of these plans use squats and lunges in various ways to achieve both core strengthening and shapelier butt/legs. I can't encourage you enough to give these moves a try, and to do a bit of reading to get a program that incorporates them safely and progressively. "Don't work out longer, work out smarter."

Currently maintaining a semblance of calm.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #137
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)154/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Saef-- You'll be down quickly. If I recall, it was an evening appointment and you always weigh more in the evening than the morning-- not to mention the extra clothes! Did you check to see if the recommended doctor is in your network?
Bargoo, you are wise in the ways of the scale,and you are right.

I was 151.6 this morning.

So what happened at the doctor's office on Monday afternoon? Must've been a temporary water retention from the weekend snacking. In particular, I really tore into a rather salty roast chicken on Sunday night after it came out of the oven, rendering it like an animal. It had smelled so good. This is when I'm sorry that I'm eating alone, since the presence of another person would have inhibited me & made me behave.

Today's was one of those weigh-ins where you think all week that you're bloated and heavy and imagine all sorts of bodily distortion, only to find that your mind has messed with you and your self-perception. When this happens, I'm relieved but also rueful: All that self-recrimination, for nothing?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #138

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Stepped on the scale this morning and was met with what looked like a time rather than a weight. Somehow my housekeeper managed to change my scale from pounds to stones! It took all my brain power (at 4:55 AM) to figure out how to change it back! It apparently also weights in kilograms.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #139

S/C/G: 178/119/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Stepped on the scale this morning and was met with what looked like a time rather than a weight. Somehow my housekeeper managed to change my scale from pounds to stones! It took all my brain power (at 4:55 AM) to figure out how to change it back! It apparently also weights in kilograms.
That's hilarious!!! I ordered a new scale that hasn't come yet. Not sure why I did as my scale is shockingly accurate but Jen posted it on her blog and it looked cool-- remembers your weight from the day before, doesn't have to be zeroed out, etc.

My dd leaves Sunday and I'm ready. I think she is too! She is grouchy with me about my working out. We talked about getting our nails done Saturday and yesterday she was whining that we should do them today. That would knock me out of exercise when we're already planning on eating dinner out. Hopefully we can just do it tomorrow and everyone can be happy!

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
183/365 workouts
155 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #140
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Stepped on the scale this morning and was met with what looked like a time rather than a weight.
Yes, that's what it's like. I hope your 'time' was earlier rather than later!

No butter or peanut butter on Thursday. Streak is 9.

Jen, I'm just doing it (!) but I think that I've probably been eating slightly more of other food. I've also run out of cottage cheese for protein which is a bit of a hiccup.

saef, lunges, squats and deadlifts are all excellent. There's lots of form to concentrate on in order to get them right (which I think is great).

Becky, are most labels in the US monolingual? As Britain is in the EU we often have different European languages on our labels and here in Wales we sometimes have Welsh and English. It's interesting to compare and contrast what they're telling the consumer - you can sometimes learn more from the info in a different language.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #141

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Yes, that's what it's like. I hope your 'time' was earlier rather than later!
I was over 11 stone. I should be just over 10 stone.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #142
in development

Quote:
I was over 11 stone. I should be just over 10 stone.

I should be around 10 stone too. I was 9 stone 2 (128 lbs) until I was 27.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #143
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/137/130-135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

This week has been so strenuous that I'm already celebrating the fact that it's over - and it's 8:30 on Friday morning! I started teaching a new course that I put together myself, so I've been up late every night writing lectures and a syllabus, trying to come up with a plan for the laboratory sections... My first lab was yesterday and unfortunately it was too hard for the students. I suspect I'll be hearing about that in my student evaluations later

Weight-wise, I've been hovering around 139-140. The frustrating thing is that I'm actually quite motivated right now to get in better shape, but life is throwing curveballs. Hopefully, once we close escrow for our new house and get moved, things will settle a bit. That's what people call "wishful thinking", I believe.

Re the squats and lunges: man, when I was doing boot camp last year, all those exercises REALLY got my bottom half in great shape. Right now I'm riding my bike a lot which helps, but the bulgy sagginess on the sides of my hips and below my rump is starting to come back. I signed up to start a boot camp at a gym near our new house. It's only a block away and I can do it at night so it'll be super convenient. Unfortunately everyone else is also motivated to shape up, so I'm on the February wait list and may have to wait until March.

I'm also supposed to be planning a wedding right now. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #144
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Buying a house and moving is one of those 'top-5' stressors, isn't it JayZeeJay? As is getting married. You've got a busy time coming up.

I'm feeling tired and congested today, and am very tired of feeling tired and congested. I'm hoping that getting back on good footing with food and such will help with that.

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #145
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/156.6/<148

Height: 5'7.5"

Kinda in a hide-out sort of mood. I ate better yesterday than I have for about a month. TOM arrived on schedule for the first time in what might be literally years, which I hope to heck is why the scale went up again this morning. I am going to pretend I didn't see it and just keep on doing what I know works. It can't stay up there forever.

Shannon, it certainly can't hurt anything to feed ourselves better, right? Rah-rah. I empathize with you, without the stuffiness.

JayZeeJay, oh, I can relate to wanting to do stuff and having life get in the way! Sounds like you're burning the candle at both ends and the middle. I will bet that the boot camp wait list will cycle faster than you thought.

silverbirch, yes, food labels are definitely monolingual. Might see a spattering of Spanish, but that's about it. I like to browse the imported foods ... even if I can't read the ingredients, the list tends to be a lot shorter.

allison ... I keep seeing in my head the meme shot of the "Office Space" manager guy going, "10 stone? Yeah, that'd be great." 140 sounds so far off right now. Plodding on ...

michele, She should know better by now than to get between you and your exercise!

saef, "Viking Night" with the chicken, eh? There is nothing quite like the smell of freshly roasted chicken to arouse the savage. I suggest that if you feel lured by it again, vow to eat it with no hands. You'll be laughing too hard to eat much, I promise!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #146

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I once had "Viking Night" with a BBQ chicken in my car. It was in winter and I had forgotten my lunch. I had been walking a great many dogs that day in a very cold blustery wind. I finally pulled into the grocery store parking lot around 3:30 p.m. I was so hungry that I'd been eyeing the dog chewies in my waist pouch for their food potential.

The deli counter is just inside the store entrance. Staff had just taken the chickens out of the rotisserie and they were piping hot. And the scent -

I bought one, intending to drive home and eat part of it there. I got it to the car and the scent was too much. I ripped off the cover and dove in. I think, hanging out with dogs so much, I have developed some doglike habits. As I ripped the chicken apart with my hands and stuffed it into my mouth I also paused for a second and just held a piece up to my face, inhaling that wonderful odour.

Immediate hunger sated I carefully licked all of my fingers. Remember, I'm in a grocery store parking lot. I looked up from the chicken carnage, still licking my fingers. There across the lane were two of the cart collection people, looking at me with a mix of fear, disbelief, and God knows what else on their faces. And beside them was a guy in a parka, laughing so hard I'd bet he was almost p**ing his pants. Turns out he was the store manager.

I see these people almost every day. They still recognize me as the lady who savaged the chicken in her car.

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #147

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
I once had "Viking Night" with a BBQ chicken in my car. It was in winter and I had forgotten my lunch. I had been walking a great many dogs that day in a very cold blustery wind. I finally pulled into the grocery store parking lot around 3:30 p.m. I was so hungry that I'd been eyeing the dog chewies in my waist pouch for their food potential.

The deli counter is just inside the store entrance. Staff had just taken the chickens out of the rotisserie and they were piping hot. And the scent -

I bought one, intending to drive home and eat part of it there. I got it to the car and the scent was too much. I ripped off the cover and dove in. I think, hanging out with dogs so much, I have developed some doglike habits. As I ripped the chicken apart with my hands and stuffed it into my mouth I also paused for a second and just held a piece up to my face, inhaling that wonderful odour.

Immediate hunger sated I carefully licked all of my fingers. Remember, I'm in a grocery store parking lot. I looked up from the chicken carnage, still licking my fingers. There across the lane were two of the cart collection people, looking at me with a mix of fear, disbelief, and God knows what else on their faces. And beside them was a guy in a parka, laughing so hard I'd bet he was almost p**ing his pants. Turns out he was the store manager.

I see these people almost every day. They still recognize me as the lady who savaged the chicken in her car.

Dagmar
BEST. STORY. EVER!!!!!!!

I think I just peed a little I was laughing so hard!!!

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try I'll never know!" ~ Wicked ~

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said 'I just don't care!'" ~ Pink ~

http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/

My goal reached thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ncers-say.html
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #148

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

LMAO at "the lady who savaged the chicken" - wearing a dog stained coat.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 6 years and 11 months
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #149
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/156.6/<148

Height: 5'7.5"

Dammar, ! Yes, you would have been a great Viking. . I think it's good to occasionally reach back for our primal goodnesses (autocorrect tried to make that "good messes" and I like that too). It really cuts to the basics of hunger/ fuel and strips away all the baggage we put on food. Wonderful story!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #150
in development

No butter or peanut butter on Friday. Streak is 10. This makes me sound more virtuous than I feel. I'm eating more of other things, I regret to say. Or at least it feels like that. I'm succeeding in avoiding cakes, biscuits and pastries which don't cross my field of vision much but are there. Weight is a tiny bit lower than when I started.

What?? Just a tiny bit lower?? It should be quite a lot lower!!

Sorry about that. I get a bit het up sometimes.

Moving on to ....

Dagmar, the Lady Viking. One to watch out for at the supermarket!
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.