Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #76  
Workin' It

Hey there saraphin and kisskiss! Good to 'meet' you guys!

I made the healthified broccoli cheese soup last night, and it was fantastic. I learned that it is hard to peel broccoli stems, but not nearly as hard as I made it into. It took me a little over an hour from beginning to end, but I didn't have a good flow. Next time will be better. DH has already eaten leftover soup for breakfast today.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #77  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I learned from Julia Child, I think, to peel the broccoli stem from bottom to top. Mostly it goes faster because where ever the peel breaks is where I stop -- anything above that I consider too small of a stem to worry about.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Hey there saraphin and kisskiss! Good to 'meet' you guys!

I made the healthified broccoli cheese soup last night, and it was fantastic. I learned that it is hard to peel broccoli stems, but not nearly as hard as I made it into. It took me a little over an hour from beginning to end, but I didn't have a good flow. Next time will be better. DH has already eaten leftover soup for breakfast today.
Ditto on the hello's!

I'll have to look for the recipe now-- it was 21 outside today as I was driving to work and I know that isn't cold for some of you, but I'm a huge wimp!

Couple that with my weight creeping up all week and not being able to find warm clothes that looked decent on me this morning, and I'm a tad (ok a lot) cranky today.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'll be making soup tomorrow, but I can't say it'll be healthy. I need to use up a quart and a half of heavy cream and decided to make clam chowder. Then on Sunday I'm using up the mashed potatoes I "found" in the fridge and making a shepherd's pie. The mashed potatoes were definitely a discovery. When I fixed leftovers on Sunday I got everything out of fridge #2 and heated it all up and there were no mashed potatoes, but everyone said there was enough of everything else and not to worry about it. The next morning, while searching for something for breakfast in fridge #1, I found them. Then I remembered MIL putting them in there. Since they hadn't gone through the reheating I decided not to toss them with all the rest of the leftovers and decided to make the pie. Both the soup and pie will be good for this cold snap we're having.

DH and I are supposed to go down to Menifee on Saturday for a golf tournament. DH is starting to balk because it's not going to be warm at all. I'd still like to go. I'm even planning on doing my grocery shopping tomorrow night so I'll be prepared for a whole day away from home.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #80  
Workin' It

Joy - I watched a youtube video on peeling broccoli stems from a man who posts a lot of stir fry recipes. His technique worked well - he cuts the bottom off the stem, leaves about 1/8 inch, or just to the edge of the skin on one side, and uses that piece to peel up the length, then peels all the way around from the cut edge on the bottom. The only thing I will do differently next time is start the subsequent strips with a small knife instead of my thumbnail - the peel was thick enough that it cut under my thumbnail. It was much easier than I expected, and I also just stopped when the peel stopped.

Michele - it is 71 here right now. In December.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #81  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

saraphin. I work in kilos sometimes (we're kind of bilingual in GB) and I think gardenerjoy does too (for other reasons).

Michele and Shannon - extraordinary temperature differences!

kisskiss, bargoo's right that many maintainers will say to keep on doing the same thing as when losing and it seems to work for many. It doesn't work for everyone, though, especially when something changes in their lives (hormones, moving, relationships, something unknown perhaps etc etc). That's when it becomes very difficult. Neurodoc's been wrestling with this over on the 5-10 thread.

On that note, after my tedious and non-sufficiently-productive clothes shopping trip I'm back to having apple and cottage cheese for morning and afternoon snacks. What seemed to change for me was getting injured and not being able to get back into lifting in any serious way.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #82  
Workin' It

Birchie - I'm sorry about your clothing trip, I hate shopping for clothes in the best of situations. I've been chatting with Steve Troutman lately, a personal trainer I know, about writing me a training plan. I felt like I wasn't going in a positive direction, and was interested in having him write me an exercise routine or something. After several back and forth about my goals, my diet, my knowledge base, my comfort level with programs here is what he said:

"Everything I would recommend to you in a program would be summed up into the following:

Get your nutrition under wraps since everything else matters very very little if this part isn't aligned. And the distant second would be the exercise, which, at your current height and weight, is going to require a much larger emphasis toward strength training rather than conditioning... so essentially the opposite of what you're currently doing.

You seem to be focusing primarily on the exercise part which honestly becomes an exercise in hairsplitting once the primary fundamentals are accounted for. There are endless ways of packaging the fundamentals and everyone wants you to believe that they've found the best way, which is total bs. But again, none of this matters a whole heck of a lot if the nutrition isn't consistent and appropriate. If you cleaned that up, did some basic strength training 3 days per week or so, and did some basic conditioning work as needed, I think you would head in the desired direction."

It was interesting to hear him say out loud that I needed more strength training and diet control and less cardio. In our discussions and reading some of his articles on his site he said that resistance training was especially important to 'women over a certain age' (he tactfully didn't say what that age was, but as I'm 41 I'll say that over 40 is what he meant... ) I thought about this when you talked about not being able to do much weight lifting after your injury. Are you able to do any yet? Or are there any mods you could make?

I'm trying to eat more intuitively, while still tracking calories. Trying to let go of the several mini meals and snacks a day plan I was using back when I was more heavy in the weight lifting forum. Pushing protein, limiting carbs. You mentioned adjusting your mini meal plan, has it helped any?

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 12-05-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #83  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

ICUwishing:carpet in a bathroom? lol never seen a bathroom with carpet, but it sounds a little bit unique, even charming.

Megan1982: winter concerts sound fun! you sing or play an instrument? I've also just purchased a groupon for Yoga but I have yet to go. I've had some back issues, so not sure if I should wait until I'm 100 % or if yoga can help me in the process of getting better...any suggestions?

Jen: are you a marathon runner? Or you run short distances? I joined SRLA and had fun (even ran a 10k ) but I had to stop because I pulled my back I was looking forward to running the LA Marathon but don't think I'll be able to do it until the next next one.

bargoo:
thanks, that's good advice! I figured I'd still always count calories, just wonder how much I should be upping them to if I decide to call this goal (still think I might go for 5-10 more pounds).

traveling michele: it was about 45 out in Los Angeles today and I was freezing!! So, I think I might be more of a wimp!

silverbirch:
Thank you for the advice. The good thing is I've been counting calories and exercising for the last 3 years, so it's kind of a habit that I don't see really leaving me. Hopefully.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Y'all are a fast talking group! It's awesome. I had to go through the thread and have no idea how such a wide range of topics was covered in less that a week! lol gardening, cromwell, broccoli soup, t'aint? had me very entertained

I'm getting my credential in elementary educatoin...someone asked, but I can't find that post now.

Last edited by kisskiss; 12-05-2013 at 12:27 PM.
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisskiss View Post
Jen: are you a marathon runner? Or you run short distances? I joined SRLA and had fun (even ran a 10k ) but I had to stop because I pulled my back I was looking forward to running the LA Marathon but don't think I'll be able to do it until the next next one.
Hi kisskiss and welcome!!

I run about 30-35 miles a week. I run during my lunch hour and run 7 miles 3X per week. On Sundays I do a "long run" which is typically in the 10-15 mile neighborhood. The longest distance I have ever run is 18 miles. I have run 2 1/2 marathons. My favorite distance race is 10K. I got first place female in 2 of those this year and 2nd place in another one.

I don't see myself ever running a marathon.

Can you run at all right now?

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #85  
Chuggin' along...

kisskiss, I sing in my local choral group. I am sort of trying to learn guitar but haven't gotten very far. Re: yoga, I personally find that if I'm a little sore it can be good for me. If I'm hurt, it's too much and I skip class or sit out some moves. My teacher also practices hatha yoga and is very good about watching us and reminding us not to push our bodies too far or to stop if something hurts. I've been in other classes where a teacher can't pay attention to everyone, doesn't ask if people are new or expert, and starts doing advanced poses left and right. That type of class might not be good for your back. Maybe you could call the yoga studio and ask if your groupon includes beginner classes or what they would recommend.

IMHO yoga can be great to strengthen your core including back muscles to help prevent future back troubles, but you don't want to try to strengthen when you are hurt. It's not going to work and it will just hurt more.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #86  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Read the first few pages, will catch up more later. I'm choosing NOT to learn the new vocabulary word, since I was scarred the last time I looked one up... LOL

paperClippy my DH was raised as a conservative Jew, I was raised as a non-practicing Jew. I wish my boys had a stronger religious upbringing than they do, but I left it in DHs hands, and, well, you see where we are. We light the candles on Chanukah and recite the blessing as a counterbalance to all the Christmas out there, but that's about it. It's more than I was raised with, though, and I figure I turned out okay...
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Morning all!

For anyone who is interested, I was interviewed by someone a month or so ago for a podcast and he has now posted that...

http://podnova.com/add.html#url=http...bsyn.com%2Frss

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Shannon-- I'm percolating on what the trainer said to you. Food for thought indeed (pun intended). What would be considered conditioning? Cardio? Since I do bikram yoga most days and supplement in some other exercise, I'm not sure if I'm doing what's best for me (as I'm also at that age!).....

The dumb scale isn't cooperating either. I'm trying not to give in and pout (and eat). We are about to have a baby shower for 4 babies at school (3 teachers-- one with twins). Our school pops babies out like nobodies business!! I'll avoid all the sweets and temptations.....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #89  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

CherryPie99: That's so cool! I'm listening, now!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I tend to agree that weight training is better for weight loss and fat loss. I understand the need for cardio as well, but didn't see great results when doing just cardio. That said, long distance runners tend to be the leanest people out there, so that just goes against everything I just said. So really, who knows?

As for the discussion on religion, DH was raised Mormon and I was raised Lutheran. Being a Lutheran in a predominately Mormon state was difficult and it really put a bad taste in my mouth. DH and his family stopped going to church when he was a teen. I never wanted to go to church but got dragged anyway (especially on the big days). DH and I didn't place a lot of importance on church and never took our kids (although both were baptized as Lutheran at my parent's church). At one time, my DD decided she "needed" religion and went to a couple churches to try them out. All it did was get her on a couple mailing lists that send her copious amounts of literature she no longer wants. She now believes she is atheist (although I think agnostic is more the way she feels). DS doesn't seem to feel one way or the other.

DH and I were supposed to golf tomorrow in a tournament and they're predicting cold, rainy weather. Both DH and I are borderline fighting a cold (slight sore throat, slight cough, slight runny nose) no "real" symptoms but enough for us to decide to bag the tournament. In lieu of that, I'm hoping to get out early Saturday to finish my Christmas shopping and then come home and get it all wrapped. I have a couple boxes that I'll need to ship so I need to get those ready as well.

If all goes well, I can even get some Christmas decorating done on Sunday and perhaps DH will string some lights outside.

I started listening to the podcast but had to give it up--too many interruptions here at work. I'll try to find time to listen this weekend.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote