Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat November 25 - December 1

It's Thanksgiving week here in the U.S. I congratulate our Canadian friends for having theirs early and getting it out of the way, LOL.

My goal for this week is to control snacking. I do OK at meals, but have been having trouble with open bowls of snack foods. The holidays abound with such.

We'll serve 11 on Thanksgiving, mostly family. Oddly enough, I keep lobbying for more food thinking the proper host offers uber abundance. DW resists thinking about too many leftovers. She controls the kitchen so she's winning so far.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Good Morning!

Yes Bill the Canadians take a break between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think your DW is probably right - turkey for many days can get a bit tedious.

I went to see "Catching Fire" - (Hunger Games part 2) yesterday with my cousin's wife and daughters. The outing was my birthday gift to the older daughter. We all enjoyed the movie very much. Jennifer Lawrence (the lead) has that quality that causes the viewer to look only at her when she's on screen.

I gave the girls a wad of money and told them to get whatever snacks they wanted. I made to mistake of having a large popcorn and drink - . HUGE! And the combo came with a bag of M & M's and a small plastic "Christmas" figure stuffed with even more candies. I saved that for DH and made considerable inroads on my snacks.

I'm not going to step on the scale until Wed. - I figure the salt and sugar bloat will be gone by then.

Good Luck to all the Americans during the start of the "Eating Season" this week!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm here at my mother's house in Upstate NY, at my laptop, where I'll be working all week training our new hires and attending meetings and trying to finish up some writing assignments before the holiday.

Having driven up from a snowless area, I forgot about intermittent snow squalls and how they can mess up the best-laid plans. Like this morning, when I thought I'd make a 5:45 AM spin class at a nearby gym. But the village plows haven't run through yet and the snowfall overnight is still on the ground. So I'm not going anywhere just now. I'll have to head to the gym after work, unfortunately, when it's at its most crowded.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Dagmar, I am not a gamer myself, but I think you can get Final Fantasy for PS3. I played one of them once and enjoyed it. If you're not 100% set on PS3, the xbox also can stream netflix and you can get kinect for it if you want to do fitness games.

It was not me who did the tough mudder, but someone on here did!

Bill, I also like to offer an abundance of food. If your DW doesn't want leftovers she can buy some cheap disposable tupperware and send the leftovers home with your guests! I am certainly hoping that MIL got a big enough turkey that DH and I can take home a lot of turkey meat. I love Thanksgiving leftovers and can never have enough. See the recipes sticky for my favorite turkey mushroom casserole!

Saef, good luck dealing with all the snow. We somehow managed to have our first snow of the season in early October, and then thunderstorms and tornadoes last week. Now it's just cold though.

Weekend was a mixed bag with the babies. We attempted a couple naptime things that didn't turn out so well (one was letting them cry for a few minutes, which totally didn't work, the other was putting A down without her swaddle, which also totally didn't work). On the other hand we got a good feeding schedule going, DH put up a piece of cardboard in their nursery window which blocks out the light really well so they can nap better, and they seem to finally be getting on board with the eat-play-sleep schedule. On the other other hand A was up very upset at 11pm the night before last and needed an extra feeding to go back to sleep, and then C was up very upset at 11pm last night and needed an extra feeding to go back to sleep. With the exception of last night though, C has been napping and sleeping very well. I think maybe A just needs to gain a little more weight to help her sleep, since C is half a pound heavier right now.

I think if we can get them into a reliable eating and nap schedule during the day this week, then maybe we can work on weaning off their swaddles. They're not rolling yet so it's not urgent that we stop swaddling, but they're outgrowing their swaddle sacks and they're already in the largest size they make!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #5  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Megan - I will be wishing good thoughts for Emma today; good luck at the vet's!

Jessica - hang in there! Cardboard sounds like a great idea - no molding damage, can go in and out easily, and with winter approaching, hey - anything that blocks a chill off a window is a good thing. I certainly was reminded of that this morning, with a wind chill of 7F ...

saef, I too have already had some plans interrupted by squalls. It further solidifies my ambition to be a "snowbird" when I grow up.

Bill, we run into the same problems with constantly open and available snacky items. I need to learn to leave a veggie tray out.

Dagmar, Wednesday sounds about right. I've heard enough about the Hunger Games movies to be inspired to Netflix the first one. I don't think I've been to a movie since ... yeah, could be ... the last Star Trek movie? Pretty sad, I know. Put me in the Xbox category too - the Kinect is a hoot!

Should be a fast week for me. Swimming tonight, tomorrow is the massive wreath distribution, Wednesday should be an early-out from work and more swimming, Thursday at the inlaws, and the rest of the weekend looks clear . Hard to believe that next Monday is December 2!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm on track with the Thanksgiving schedule. I made to-do lists for each day and tackled a few things yesterday which will allow me to relax a bit now.

It was Michele who did the Tough Mudder. There are other races out there that aren't as hard as the TM but still include mud and obstacle courses (and some have zombies).

We saw Catching Fire on Saturday and loved it! We went out and shared a thin crust pizza before so we didn't need any snacks.

I hope all goes well with Emma, Megan! Let us know what the vet says.

A couple of weeks ago I was really worried about Chico--thinking we'd be lucky to have him here for Thanksgiving and that it was probably going to be a sad Christmas. He was refusing food (even home cooked) and was acting sad. A few trips to the pet store and a huge and expensive order from My Perfect Pet and he's like a new dog! This food is amazing. Misty is really jealous that she isn't getting any. Well, I do give her a little as a topper and she gets to lick his bowl when he's done. I'm happy I found it although my wallet isn't!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #7  
Workin' It

Thanksgiving week already... Whew.

Bill - less leftovers are good. Unless they are high protein, turkey leftovers. Sadly, mine always end up being things like pie.

Saef - did you run your race?

It was Michele who ran the Tough Mudder.

Megan - thinking good thoughts for you and for Emma.

Allison - the egg and bacon prep seems odd to me. Hope the revision turns out well.

Becky - have you recovered from the food color yet?

Jessica - a little weight gain might help A, I agree. I hope so.

Dagmar - most RPGs are single player. Are you looking for something you can both play at the same time? How about some of the Lego games? They are two player, and lots of fun. Epic Mickey,

I'm tired and hormonal this week. Great way to start a busy holiday season. We did put our inside Christmas decorations this week - DH made the point that Thanksgiving is late this year, so waiting until afterwards shortens the pre-Christmas decoration celebrating by a whole week. So, decorations up a week early.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Megan, sorry I missed commenting on your post -- I am also thinking good thoughts for Emma. I know how tough it is to have your fur-baby unwell.

Shannon, it is a mystery to me how A gains any weight at all given that she basically seems like she spits up her entire feeding every single time!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #9  
Workin' It

Jessica - DSS gained weight as an infant, even with spitting up or refusing everything. Still gains today, wen he only eats about five different foods and we have to force those. I don't understand it at all.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I've somehow managed to create a busy holiday week even though the actual holiday part is at the sister-in-law's house. But I have a plan in place. Time to work that plan!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Indeed, I did run my race, in spite of the temperatures dropping to 23 degrees and some 8 mph wind blasts. Even in thermal running tights, the fronts of my thighs and my shins felt like they'd iced over. And the little paper cups of water froze into solid blocks on the table, except the one I picked up, which just had a film of sharp-edged ice on the top. Despite the cold, there were over 4,000 of us running in the Park. I did the four miles in 43:35, with a net pace of about 10:54 per mile. I'd been hoping to run a 10-minute mile or less, and maybe one day I will, but I didn't on Sunday.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #12  
Workin' It

That is great, Saef! I'd say getting out in 23 degrees is a victory in itself.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #13  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Saef - ditto Shannon! Iced-over cups? Good grief - I think you should get a medal just for getting out there!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Hi all!

Just wanted to stop in and say HI even though I don't have much to add to the conversation!

I am hurting for Megan and Allison - we lost my Rottweiller, Riker on December 1 a few years ago and so that anniversary is coming up. Plus, after just losing Ezri, any time I hear about a sick beloved pet, my chest just tightens up. I hope there is a miraculous rally coming!!

I will be running a Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning. Fortunately it is a short 5K, because they are calling for temps in the upper teens. YUCK. On the bright side it might get my fat butt running faster in an effort to get it over with!

Saef - welcome back to the frozen Northern NY. You might not have missed us, but we've missed you!

I am cruising along more at peace with myself then I have been since entering maintenance. My weight is exactly where I like it and I've been working on flexibility when it comes to my day to day schedule. I'm not there yet, but I'm pretty happy with where I am.

Happy Monday all!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #15  
Workin' It

I missed the registration for my 10k I've done the last two Thanksgiving days. I could register in person, but the race this year is apparently trying to beat some kind of world record for registration. I don't know that I want to hassle with that, so maybe I'll take the day off instead. LOL