Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat November 18 - November 25

Celebrating the last week before Thanksgiving week. It's a long way away and I'm already worrying about stuffing - both the noun and the verb.

I've decided that the failure to be notified about winning my Ford Hybrid was a blessing; now I want a Toyota Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicle just a soon as it becomes available. Such neat technology; who cares if there aren't any hydrogen stations yet.

Sending supportive thoughts, Jen, as you process the loss of your kitty. Yes, I'd include her in the Christmas card.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good morning!

We went to see an exhibit of David Bowie memorabilia yesterday at the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO). I found it most interesting as I used to be a fan, from early days up to and including the "Heroes" album. I don't think DH was there with me, at least not mentally or emotionally. He did complain about the headsets cutting in and out but I think that was the nature of the beast - snippets of songs to accompany various visuals.

Interesting too that the most people were gathered in rooms showing video. It seems we have become a culture that responds to a screen best.

Speaking of screens DH wants to give me a gaming system for Christmas - so that we can use Netflicks and the like. He also wants to buy a bigger screen TV.

I am resistant to both as it will encourage him to watch even more TV. This was supposed to be the "new house, new life" where we made a concentrated effort to not watch TV. If I go upstairs to read or suggest we both do so in the living room he is very resistant. SIGH.

I'm hoping his work situation is somewhat resolved today so that he will start to live again, rather than vegetating in front of the TV while numbing himself with food and alcohol. He's done that for 8 (!) years now and it's not working for him any more. I am truly afraid for him sometimes.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #3  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,
I'm so happy and so tired at the same time. The show was a great success and we have wonderful, big audiences who really enjoyed the show. The cast & crew party was last night and I handed out my gifts and thank-you's. Other than having the blanks for the starter pistol for gunshot sound effects go missing, and all the photo printers in a 60 mile radius being broken, both pretty minor things, the weekend was a success. I'm looking forward to sleeping, yoga and long dog walks, and cleaning my poor house before I leave on my Thanksgiving travels in a week.

BF has been taking care of the dog a great deal. Starting today he's working 12 hour days servicing fire equipment for the next week, and now I'm back on doggie duty. That's just fine with me since I miss my fur baby and we both need some exercise. Her symptoms haven't cleared up so I brought a sample into the vet's this morning to test. This could be a good winter job for him since the charter business is dead this time of year, so we're hoping this turns into a few months of work.

I'm rather proud of myself despite business and stress I managed to lose 3 lbs during the course of this play without trying. I had a handful of days where I wasn't eating vegetables and ate out a handful of times, but overall I did a decent job of making sure I ate healthy meals. My healthy freezer burrito and leftover soup stash was much appreciated. Exercise did wane these past 2 weeks and I need to get back on track with that. I've been fitting into a few clothes that were a little snug. I feel like I'm in a much better place going into the holiday season than I have been in years.

Michele, were you able to get to the chiropractor to check your back? Let us know how your aches and pains are.

Dagmar, did DH ask you if you wanted a gaming system, or did he tell you that's what he's getting you? Because you could just say, "that's a present for you, not for me. I would like XYZ for me." BTW you can buy "smart" TVs these days that have wifi. BF bought me one for my birthday (which I did want, lol, and it didn't increase my TV watching) and we can access netflix or amazon directly. It is hard to watch someone we love be destructive towards themselves but you can't make the choice for him.

Bill, ooh, I'll start looking out for giveaways for your new car of choice.

Jen, how are you and DH doing?

Have a great week all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Megan, I'm so happy that your show went off so well and you've got the memory of last night's cast & crew party to get you through Monday.

I was fuming in traffic this morning, which made me a little late for meeting two new hires in the lobby at my office this morning. I don't like leaving people clock-watching on their very first day at work. Now they're getting oriented on their new ThinkPads & I have a slight breather before I start my continuous flow of talk that's part of their training. I'll be coming in early and getting home late. Fitting in the gym will be a challenge. Fitting in anything else may not be possible -- I'm even strategizing when I'll have a minute to fill up my gas tank for all the driving I'll be doing.

And oh, yeah, there's Thanksgiving or something happening soon, right?

And Dagmar, rather than attending the parade, I'd recommend going to the Upper West Side on the night before Thanksgiving and watching the balloons get blown up. That is really more fun & the thing to do.

Last edited by saef; 11-18-2013 at 10:00 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Kudos on the play Megan!! And losing 3 pounds without really trying!!

My chiro apt is Wednesday afternoon. I'll report back after.

I had a nice weekend (albeit alone). I got tons done-- shopping, errands, workouts, reading, Breaking Bad, DVR catching up.... I think when my family comes home I won't know what to do with them! Dh comes home Friday (just for a week though) and both girls come home for T-Day.

Saef-- I was also grouchy this morning when Dewey woke me slightly before my 5 am alarm by puking in my bed. Why?!?!?!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We have a new hire today at work. Wow, the paperwork that goes with that!

Chico didn't want to eat his food this morning so I decided to make him a dog food sandwich. He liked that, thankfully. But the food I have for him (canned) is a bit sloppy for a sandwich so I think I'll go out and get some of the pate style canned dog food to put on a sandwich for him. I think he likes the sandwich because he thinks it's my food and he's getting a treat.

Our golf tournament that we were supposed to do this Sunday was cancelled and I'm quite thankful for that! Five or six hours at that would put me seriously behind on Thanksgiving preparations. Instead we'll do our short course Saturday morning and then I'll do my final shopping in the afternoon.

Glad the play went well, Megan!

How big a tv does DH want, Dagmar. I swear my DH keeps wanting newer, bigger, better on ours and I think we have a 65 inch! Of course it would be nice to have the LED screen as it uses so much less electricity and doesn't heat the room up like the one we have now.

It's cooling off here. We finally closed all the windows and DH lit the fire Sunday morning! The cats sure liked that.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #7  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm back at this after a week of experimenting with the way I used to be. Yeah. I don't want to be an overeater, anymore. So many bad effects and consequences. I'm avoiding the scale right now, but I've got a food plan and I'm putting all my other routines back in place including my new habit of posting here.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Good Monday morning, all!

A HUGE congrats Megan on the rousing success you had!! If you're anything like me, you can expect a CRASH in the next couple of days! But then I'm sure it will feel good to get back into a normal routine!

DH is still really upset about losing Ezri. He wrote a very long tribute to her on his blog - he is a man who doesn't express himself verbally very well, but it was clear that this is effecting him even more then I knew. Yesterday I headed out on my long run - and he knew I was going for a long run. I even texted him at about 8 miles in during a *cough* pit stop to let him know that I was doing great and would see him in a while. I got home and just as I was stretching he pulled in the driveway - he had gotten worried and was out looking for me! I think his anxiety is just up.

Speaking of my running, I did my longest run yesterday - 18.10 miles. I'm pretty proud of getting that far. But I am WIPED today.

I am looking forward to getting through this week and am excited about Thanksgiving!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #9  
Workin' It

I have to admit that I'm very fond of a large tv. Ours is a 65" I think? We don't really watch it all that often, but when I do watch I like to be able to see everything. But yes Dagmar, if you don't want it then it is really a gift for him and not you.

Glad the play went well, Megan! You get some rest now. Hope the job works out for BF.

Michele - it is always easier to get things done with no one else around, isn't it? I know it will be nice to have everyone home, though.

Allison - yes, a golf tournament would have probably made it hard to get your turkey day ready! I love that Chico will eat a sandwich but not his regular food. Sweet puppy.

Saef - traffic here was unpleasant as well today. I really wanted to still be on vacation.

Bill - we'll keep our eyes open for your Toyota and a hydrogen station for it.

Jen - great run!

Joy - routine is good. I'm getting back to mine this week, too.

Oh I don't want to be back here today....

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 11-18-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #10  

Oh, dear.

Last week I read where there is a stomach virus going around the valley.

DH came out of his office about an hour ago stating he had body aches and he didn't feel good. He went home.

Just a second ago, one of our guys came back from the jobsite--aches and pains and fever. He's going home.

I wonder how many of us will come down with it? I hope I don't! I don't have time for it!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #11  
Workin' It

Oh no, Allison. Stay healthy!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Nothing happened at DH's work yesterday so he was super b*tc*y when he got home. I tried to hang artwork last night and he immediately started interfering. Funny how I got this job done at 2 other places but he has to supervise here.

I think he formed a real attachment to the house when he was working on it and now is resentful that I'm "imposing" my decorating ideas.

I have not uttered the words "it's MY house" and will not do so. I find if I use Bill's strategy of silence DH comes and apologizes a couple of hours later and is then very affectionate. I realize this is out of fear , not love .

He's still afraid I'll throw him out. SIGH. We all still have a lot of adjusting to do.

Fortunately mine doesn't involve overeating. That is happening due to lack of sleep - I now habitually wake up at 3:30 (dang daylight savings) or so and am ready for bed at 8 p.m. Does not make for any sort of life.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #13  
Chuggin' along...

Happy Tuesday everyone. Yesterday I had sort of a post-play post-partum depression going on. I could have gone to a yoga class, but felt I should hang out with my poor neglected (not really) pup. I was dreading being home alone all evening. BF came home from work around 7, earlier than expected, so instead we got to spend time together in which we were actually both awake and conversating. We haven't done much of that for weeks. Emma & I also walked 3 miles, and I was able to cook up healthy lunches for the week and get 8 hours of sleep. All this normalcy feels strange...

I'm starting to get very excited for seeing my family and my nieces next week! My nieces are 3 and 1 now. My BIL just sent an adorable picture of the older niece holding younger's hand and leading her towards an airplane display at a local museum. So cute.

Emma's samples came back negative for parasites. The vet is going to try a prescription Royal Canin high fiber food for 2 weeks, that should be here in a few days. She says the next step will be steroids. From the start of her UTI this has been going for 2 months and yesterday I got really frustrated and sad worrying about my fur baby. I'm sure that contributed to my feelings of moroseness.

Dagmar, I guess with your free early morning time you could hang pictures at 3:30 AM. Then when DH wakes up, the job will be done.

Allison, could you cut rounds or make little patties of the wet food and bake them a bit to remove some moisture? That might create better burger-type patties for Chico's sandwiches. Did anyone else get sick yesterday?

Jen, have you considered running a marathon? With those kind of distances I'd think you're almost ready for one. Great job on the run! Poor DH. Can you stick your cell phone anywhere in your running gear so he can call you?

Michele, that sounds like a great weekend to get caught up. Did Dewey seem ok after he threw up, or is this part of a larger illness?

Saef, did you make it through your busy day? Did your new hires seem like good additions to your office?

Gardenjoy, it still surprises me how bad my body feels when I overeat. I forget I don't like it, then I realize how puffy and gross I feel... and try to remind myself for next time. It works more now than it used to. Maintenance is about recognizing these events before they go too far. Just get right back into those healthy habits.

Have a good Tuesday everyone.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #14  

I stopped by the pet food store yesterday and bought a food recommended by someone on my Labrador chat board called My Perfect Pet. It's human grade food cooked and then frozen into patties that resemble a slice of meatloaf. Chico loved it this morning! I also have a can of tripe that everyone says smells disgusting but dogs love it.

Sorry about your post-play depression, Megan. It's pretty normal to feel that way after putting in so much work for something like that. Glad you're back to normalness though!

Dagmar~I don't know what to say. I'd be pretty miffed if my DH interfered with decorating like that.

DH is feeling "a little better" today and is off to work already. I don't think he had the same stomach virus that's been going around because everyone says it is the worst they've ever experienced and they all thought they would die. DH just had nausea and fever.

Everyone have a great day!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm glad Chico likes his yummy food. I may have to venture into trying some new things for Jozi. She eats dinner most nights but refusing breakfast about half of the time.

Megan-- that is so frustrating regarding your fur baby. Poor thing. I wonder what's going on with her. I hope you figure it out soon. Dewey seemed fine yesterday but this morning at about 4:30 he started making weird noises in the bed which woke me in a panic. He seemed fine but I was up then!

Hang in there Dagmar-- literally and figuratively!

Only 3 more nights without dh.... He says that after the beginning of the year his travel should decrease for awhile. I sure hope so. My girls are getting excited about coming home-- older dd wants to watch the new Hunger Games movie with me :-)
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote