Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat October 21 - October 27

Haven't yet received the call for my new Ford hybrid plug-in. Perhaps the drawing was delayed. Or maybe DW was on the phone. I am not in denial.

We had two absolutely beautiful days here; you'd think summer had returned. I didn't get much done as I'm being kind to a sore back that's demanding TLC. Oh Well; it always comes round after some down time.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Good morning! It is definitely fall here -- highs in the low 60's, trees turning, etc. We took the girls to the park yesterday to have their photos taken by a pro, only to end up with C screaming her head off the entire time. Sigh. On the upside, they slept well last night.

I think we're finally starting to figure them out a little better. I feel more capable of recognizing when they're being overstimulated and need a nap now. DH and I discovered yesterday that they're pretty happy if you just put them down on a blanket with a single toy and leave them alone, instead of needing to constantly play with them or put them on the play mat with lots of toys hanging around. I got a nice video of DH playing with A and making her giggle too.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning!

We had a fabulous weekend as well. It was a tad hotter than we'd like, but nowhere near summer temperatures. We had a beautiful dinner Friday night with friends. Saturday DH and I tried a new pizzeria that was soooo good and we bought each other's Christmas presents. Sunday we went to see Captain Phillips (talk about edge of your seat experience!) and then followed it up with dinner under the stars with wonderful food, friends and music.

Glad you're figuring out the girls, Jessica! One thing you'll want to remember as they get older. Make clean up the toys each night a game. That way you won't necessarily step on toys when you get up in the morning and if it is a game, they'll love doing it!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #4  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
DH and I discovered yesterday that they're pretty happy if you just put them down on a blanket with a single toy and leave them alone
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #5  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Jessica, I'm 46 and still feel that way. A toy, a blanket, and left alone is just about as good as it gets!

Bill, hope your back gets the TLC it wants! I won't be in denial about winning the Powerball on Wednesday, either.

allison, sounds like a terrific weekend. I especially like the part about getting the Christmas presents out of the way,

Starting the week off with a somewhat broken schedule - I need to go to a funeral service today for a college friend who passed extremely suddenly and unexpectedly. I've been a little introspective over this, as I had been making an effort to reconnect with that group for several months. You just never know how much time you have left to do the things you want to do. And how much time you waste on things that others think you *should* do, yet have zero value to your own life.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Good morning! I am going to be all week I think. I clean forgot which moving company I hired and couldn't find any confirmation. Finally think I've got the name and will keep trying to call them to confirm. I am NOT panicking

ONE HOUSE! Gotta keep the goal in mind as we trudge forward. One step at a time and we will get there.

Dagmar but
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Becky-- sorry to hear about your old friend.

Jessica-- oh-- the professional photos-- I only had one at a time and they were always screaming-- could be pretty comical.... sorry! Glad to hear you are figuring things out otherwise.

Nice weekend for me albeit a quiet one. I spent it recovering from the book fair. I worked out twice Saturday and Sunday, shopped, did stuff at home, and started watching BREAKING BAD! Oh my! I'm hooked! I was trying not to binge watch so I would do a certain amount of stuff around the house and then watch an episode. I think I'll keep doing that-- my house should end up cleaner than ever! I *only* watched 5 episodes between Friday night and Sunday night so not too bad.

I don't want to jinx it but my weight is down some. I'm not changing my ticker yet. I won't be able to exercise as much during the week so it may shift up some but I'm crossing my fingers it won't!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #8  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

Shannon, we made it to the weekend! Now we have to start all over again, lol. Fall is finally really and truly here. The AC is off and the windows are open. BF did some work in the yard over the weekend and took old junk to amnesty day at the dump, after only 3 months of the old broken TV sitting in the living room and the old inoperable grill sitting next to the new grill on the porch. Now if he would just pressure wash the house and trim the trees and vines...

I went to the big city on Saturday to go to Hobby Lobby and thrift stores for play props and materials to make props. I had lunch with a friend who I don't see often enough consider she only lives 1.5 hours away. It was so nice so catch up with her, it made the long trip bearable in my stressed and sleep deprived state. I also picked up some items to craft my nieces' Christmas presents - trying to start early this year. Saturday there was a film festival in our little town and some friends had tickets. I was rather excited. We don't get much culture, lol. At intermission BF & our friends decided they didn't like it and wanted to leave. What? I was kind of upset. They weren't all the best films ever made but they were interesting, some were quite thought-provoking and well done. Sigh. Next time I'm going with my artsy friends.

I've been doing well eating mindfully until last week. I overate a bit, and knew I was doing it, but was too tired to care, and extra costume meetings cut some dog walking activities out. The busy-ness won't stop (just under 4 weeks to opening night! oh and that work thing too) but I will try to be conscious of remaining mindful. I'm taking 1/2 day from work today to work on things and try to preserve sanity, and am looking forward to making a yoga class for the first time in 3 weeks.

Michele, sometimes it's very nice to have a weekend to catch up at home, on workouts, etc. One day I will try Breaking Bad. I have to watch season 3 of Downton Abbey first.

Allison, great job being ahead of the game for Christmas! I'm trying to be better this year. I always get behind. Of course this year I think my Amazon prime membership will come in handy.

Bill, I'm certain they call about your new car any minute. But maybe you shouldn't cancel any appointments to sit by the phone waiting.

Jessica, I'm glad the whole family has gotten a little more sleep and you've had a good few days. There is a steep learning curve to parenting, or so I'm told.

Dagmar, you are nicer than me. I would probably "lose" a couple of my BF's 8+ year old boxes on that move after cursory inspection that they didn't contain birth certificates etc. You will get there, as you said, one step at a time. Hang in there!

Becky, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #9  

Quote:
Allison, great job being ahead of the game for Christmas! I'm trying to be better this year. I always get behind. Of course this year I think my Amazon prime membership will come in handy.
I don't know if it was good or not. It involved a jewelry store...and it really added to my American Express balance after DD just charged her tuition. Yikes! And it was technically DH's fault. He needed a battery changed in his watch. While one employee did that the other started showing him things...and then he chose! And I wasn't about to go out myself empty handed!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #10  

I spoke with the movers directly yesterday - that was a big relief. My "vintage" teak buffet and hutch were delivered to the new house last night. I cleaned out the fridge while I waited - it's a great fridge with all sorts of adjustable shelves - and did a load of "laundry" (dropcloths mostly) to check if the washer and dryer work. They do! The dryer is 20 years old so that was a worry. I can replace it if it breaks but not right now please! Have to still check the stove and dishwasher on the weekend and we're good!

DH continues to pack up his stuff and secretly (he thinks) drink beer in the downstairs. He is coping with a lot of stuff so I'm not nagging about the weight or other bad habits. He keeps saying "new house, new life" and I think I will hold him to that.

I'm finally packing one room at a time. Have slightly decreased my caffeine intake so was able to nap yesterday afternoon and then focus.

Dagmar
Old 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #11  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

It's gray and dreary here and my activities with our local middle schoolers science education program was postponed. I'm telling myself I *will* use the yoga ball under my desk to do some core during lunch, since it's unlikely the sky will clear out (although if it does, I'll go for a walk outside). I don't mind since the weather is still cooler and fall-like.

Actually I just switched to sitting on the yoga ball instead of my desk chair, since that's what it's there for.

Yesterday I took the afternoon off and devoted myself to my health (sanity? seems like the same thing). I did some play stuff, took a 1.5 hour nap, went to yoga for the first time in 3 weeks, then walked the dog 3.5 miles, followed by dinner, cooked a bunch of veggies, and almost 8 hours of sleep. Though I walked the dog over the weekend, I could feel how unused to moving my body was during yoga. Remember when I told myself I felt so strong after the end of field season, I would not get out of shape? That was only about a month ago. I can do this, one step at a time, and I am having a lot of fun with this play, which I lose sight of when I'm tired. It did feel good to get the rest.

Allison, it sounds like those salespeople are good at their jobs. Did you get something pretty and sparkly for Christmas?

Dagmar, way to make some progress. As you said, one step at a time.

Bill, did they call yet?!

How is everyone else doing this Tuesday?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #12  

Quote:
Allison, it sounds like those salespeople are good at their jobs. Did you get something pretty and sparkly for Christmas?
Oh, yes, quite pretty and sparkly. I don't wear a lot of jewelry. I pretty much dislike necklaces and wear them only on occasion. I like bracelets but don't have any special ones. I wear my wedding ring and a ring we got on a cruise in the Virgin Islands. Funny thing about that ring. When we bought it we really couldn't see the diamonds well as the lights in the jewelry shop were so glaring. Once they sized it and we got back to the ship I was showing it off and someone remarked "oh, ten diamonds for ten years" because we were celebrating our 10th anniversary. So Saturday I found a ring I liked (which probably won't be an everyday ring) and although I really need to double check my count with a magnifying glass (my close eyesight is still not "there") I think there are 25 diamonds (and this is our 25th year of marriage). It fits on my pinky finger and has three bands that are in an "X" design. I'll get a photo at Christmas and show it to you. DH got a Rado watch.

We're having newspaper delivery problems here. Last week I didn't get a paper twice. I sent in a complaint and asked what the "goal" was for delivery. 6 AM weekdays, 7 AM Saturday and 8 AM Sunday. Sunday was the ONLY day they delivered before they had to (but only by 15 minutes). Gona are my relaxing mornings reading the paper and doing the crossword. I leave for work at 6:30 and yesterday the paper hadn't arrived by then. So far today, not here either. I'll keep track and send in another complaint this weekend.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Megan-- your sanity afternoon sounds wonderful. Glad you could take the time.

Allison-- would love to see the ring! It sounds pretty!
What is a Rado watch?

Dagmar-- keep on keeping on....

My Tuesday will hopefully be a good one. One of my lighter days with classes so I can hopefully catch up on some of the work that got put aside for book fair. My weight is edging upwards again so I'm hoping to halt that somehow-- sheer willpower?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #14  

Michele~Rado is a watch brand. We each have one now and why he needed another I have no idea other than the sales lady was REALLY good! He now has four nice watches (well, will have four at Christmas!). Rado

I have to add that the diamonds on the new ring are quite small and my eyesight is still troubling me. I went to the optometrist to get bifocal contacts but he said they don't make soft bifocal contacts for people with astigmatism so he's having me do the mono vision thing again (one eye fitted for distance and one eye fitted for close). The distance is fine (it uses the dominant eye) but the close is bad and as I found the other night, driving in the dark with mono vision is horrible. I am getting bifocal glasses so hopefully when I get those I'll be able to read a bit better.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #15  

Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt are coming to TO in February - I LOVE these guys together - like sittin' in the kitchen with a couple of old friends, sippin' on the bourbon and shootin' the sh*t.

Going to take time out from my packing and worrying about plumbing chores to see if I can snag myself a ticket. DH does NOT like either performer so I go alone. I've seen Lyle 5 times and I like him more each time. I don't have any great interest in country music except for him.

And Massey Hall is one of the best acoustic venues in North America. This will be a real treat! I need something like this right now!

Dagmar