Maintainers Weekly Chat August 26 - September 1

You're on Page 6 of 6
Go to
  • Quote: Jen, that's awesome!!!!!

I have a couple of race questions for you. I will be doing my first half next month but am planning on walking/running so I know I'll be slow! Is it ok to have music for the race? Also, when you carb load, is that the night before? I rarely eat carbs now, but I'm thinking it would be smart.

Thanks so much! This was a nice course and I actually had fun and relaxed running it!

In our race they "strongly discouraged" wearing headphones. But I did and so did MANY if not most runners. Most people need that, especially in a long race! Just make sure that you are alert so that you can follow any directions for course changes or problems along the route!

I have been doing a TON of research about carb loading and found out it's pretty controversial and not at all black and white. Here's what most people are saying - You should start increasing your carbs -especially complex carbs 3-4 days before the race. You don't need to STUFF yourself with carbs, just get a more then normal good amount in. The afternoon or night before the race then eat a carb enriched, but not LOADED meal.

I started eating more carbs then normal on Wednesday and had whole wheat spaghetti last night. Not sure that it all can be attributed to that, but I felt strong.

Can't wait to hear how your race goes!

For anyone that is interested in my mind numbingly long race report, it's on my blog.

Jen
  • Sending supportive thoughts, Dagmar, May you find a way to stay your path during the pain and emotions.

I send this from Oregon where I'm off-web, but they do seem to have wifi around and about. I've been out here three days and have seen Gray Whales off shore on each of those days! You just go to the ocean and look. They need air so the blows of steam are easy to spot.