3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers Weekly Chat July 22 - July 28

Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #16

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Today is my brother's birthday. I told him while I am proud to be his sister I do think it is a bit much to have the Future King of England born on his birthday.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #17

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Thanks to everyone for your comments about my 10K! I don't think of myself as a fast runner - I don't do speedwork and typically don't try to go fast. I did push myself this race, though, just to see what I could do.

Allison, I never really "got it" about warm winds and wildfires because in this area, wind = cold. But last week in the weird weather I was running and there was a tremendously strong and warm wind like I have never experienced. It was bizarre and it helped me understand how these fires spead. Hopefully they have it contained now.

Becky - sounds TOTALLY worth blowing the "to do" list off!!

Silverbirch - how did you make out? Last year we made our annual trip to the wildlife refuge and there were a TON of butterflies but we saw hardly ANY unusual birds. This year,the exact opposite - unusual birds galore and not a butterfly to be seen!!!

Bargoo - you are in my thoughts daily...wish I could offer more..

Dagmar - Picture me giving you a huge, uncomfortably long hug of excitement. I hope this new adventure opens up a whole new wonderful chapter in your life!!!

Jen

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try I'll never know!" ~ Wicked ~

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said 'I just don't care!'" ~ Pink ~

http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/

My goal reached thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ncers-say.html
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)156/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Checking in from my second night in a motel room in the Berkshires to say, see Jen run, run Jen run. When you were at your highest weight did you ever imagine you'd do that??!!

I was running up Route 7 in the Berkshires, unfortunately downhill first and then, after 2.5 miles, uphill. Ended up walking at the end. How do you all do this? I can climb that Stairmaster, I can do spin class with high resistance, but running is really hard.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/<148

Height: 5'7.5"

saef, I completely agree with you - running IS hard! There has never been a point in my life, even as a kid, where I just ran without thinking, "gee, this kinda sucks." Biking - no biggie, swimming - bring it on ... heck, I would rather attempt a 3 mile swim right this minute than I would a 3 mile run. Real runners amaze me; the Kenyans who show up to this 10 mile race and finish it in about 45 minutes look like they are floating, and finish like they could do another 20 miles without batting an eye. Not me!

Dagmar, I am very much looking forward to virtually watching your nest-feathering endeavors. Congratulations on getting the keys!

Nothing exciting or different going on this week for me. I need to make a number of social-type phone calls that are backed up in the queue. I make the mistake of trying to wait until I know I have undisturbed time to truly enjoy the calls, and that results in my being consistently tardy in returning them. I am a crappy multi-tasker, and my phone is (gasp) hardwired. So, it means sitting at the dining room desk and devoting my full attention to my call for however long it takes. Ah, balancing acts ...
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #20

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Checking in from my second night in a motel room in the Berkshires to say, see Jen run, run Jen run. When you were at your highest weight did you ever imagine you'd do that??!!

I was running up Route 7 in the Berkshires, unfortunately downhill first and then, after 2.5 miles, uphill. Ended up walking at the end. How do you all do this? I can climb that Stairmaster, I can do spin class with high resistance, but running is really hard.
Are you kidding? Forget about my highest weight - May of 2011 - after I had lost about 140 pounds - was when I ran my first mile outside. It took me 16 minutes.

I said on my blog that there is NOTHING in my history that indicates that I should be able to run at all, let alone take first place in a 10K!

I don't like running hills, so I sympathize, saef! DH would run hills all day long! Me, a long flat stretch, please!!

Jen

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try I'll never know!" ~ Wicked ~

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said 'I just don't care!'" ~ Pink ~

http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/

My goal reached thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ncers-say.html
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #21
Eat Big to Stay Small

S/C/G: 160+/116/114

Height: 5'5

Chiming in - hills are the worst. I just...don't do hills training, ever. For me putting the treadmill at a 1.5 incline is akin to torture.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/krampus
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #22

S/C/G: 170/120/125

Height: 5'4"

haha, no hills for me either - running or biking!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Jen, it went well, thanks. This was a so far unsurveyed square kilometre with a variety of habitats (hedges, grazing, potato field, road verge, a few ponds, outskirts of a town). It was 26*C, 20% sunshine, SW wind (3 on Beaufort scale). We did two transects and recorded 7 species and 32 individuals. It's part of a British survey which is building up the pattern of butterfly distribution. Also those of moths, dragonflies, damselflies etc. A good time was had by all (that's the DB and me), despite a lot of stinging nettles and some biting insects. We'll resurvey in August.

And it turned out our neighbour was surveying the plants of a salt marsh yesterday! #AllNaturalistsHere
Old 07-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #24

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Fly by - crazy week with 3 houses running. Am watering #1 and going to go open windows @ #2 now - arctic conditions here with a north wind blowing strongly will air out the paint and mold smells.

Good week all!

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #25
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Woo Jen! Great run!

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #26

Funny, I'm a hill addict! I've climbed 1000 mountains, and in Denver Karen and I ride our bikes up a 900-foot ascent five times a week (to Mt Carbon and back, 7.6 miles each way from our front door). Now that we're in the mountains most of the summer, 2000-5000' hiking ascents are common, and bike rides with 1600-4200' ascents are almost daily occurrences.

What's torture for me is running. Kudos to all of you who are good at that. But I love biking and hiking. And the discipline of it is easy because I love exercising with Karen!

As for maintenance, I have been fighting and fighting. Still no weight loss but no gain either. However, a couple days ago I gave myself some time to really experience my depression over the loss of my wedding chapel business. This depression has been a heavy weight on me all the time, and it's almost impossible for me to lose weight as long as I am in this funk. But as I went deep into the feelings of loss, I heard this quiet little voice almost whispering in my ear "It's all OK, you're going to be fine, you have no idea how OK everything is," etc). Not those literal words, but more a deep feeling of reassurance, peace, surrender to what is, etc. Connecting that deeply, my craving for sweets and chocolate have gone way down for now at least, and I have chosen to use this gift to cut back on the sweets and not use them to numb out...
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #27
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)156/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

On the sixth day of my vacation, I actually slept in just a few minutes past 6 AM. I've got a session at a day spa planned, and it's a sunny but cool day in Upstate NY. This day may turn out to be pretty okay, if I handle it carefully.

These summer vacation days are so precious and few that I find it hard to relax into them. I worry I'll "waste" them in some way.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #28

S/C/G: 178/119/125

Height: 5'5"

Chris-- I'm sure you're going through all the phases of grief. Hopefully, you have experienced the worst. How is your wife doing with the loss?

Saef-- I'm glad you're on vacation! I must have missed that you were going! Are you by yourself or with your mom?

I have to share what my doctor told me yesterday at my physical as you all will "get" it. We see a husband and wife doctor team and we all prefer the husband-- much better bedside manner-- takes the time to ask about the family, etc. However, I had my annual appointment with the wife-- she is very matter of fact and blunt. I talked to her about my weight gain-- according to them I had gained 4 pounds since my last visit. She said-- "Well, you're still okay, but I wouldn't gain any more if I was you." Really?!? Great advice! Then she preceded to talk about where I was on the BMI scale and again told me not to gain any more weight. She said I'm gaining due to my age and to cut down on carbs. That was her great advice. I already barely eat carbs. I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing the husband next year!

My weight was down a pound today. I feel like calling her and telling her that thanks to her great advice I'm already losing weight!

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
183/365 workouts
155 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #29
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

LOL at your doctor story, Michele.

Enjoy your spa day, Saef. I get the fear of wasting a vacation day - I tend to then overschedule everything and feel like I had no vacation when I get back.

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #30
Eat Big to Stay Small

S/C/G: 160+/116/114

Height: 5'5

Jeez. I feel nauseated thinking about how much $ she makes for spending 15 minutes with patients telling them stuff they could just look up on the internet and learn more about.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/krampus
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.