Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
House day! I'm so excited I can barely think. Going to take a cab to the lawyer's.

Dagmar
So excited for you! Have a wonderful day soaking this in!!!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #32  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar - very excited for you! Welcome to the slippery slope and money pit of home ownership! Kidding - kinda. You know how it's said that laundry is never "done" unless everyone in the house is naked? I think my house is like that, except that it eats more money instead of time. My before/after photo album is now 3" thick ... However, there's nothing quite as satisfying as making "home base" your very own. Congrats!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Congrats Dagmar!

Our money pit is not our home but our new building for our business. There were a lot of repairs we needed to do before we moved in but now that the summer heat has hit we've discovered that our office AC may not be up to snuff. With 105 outside and the AC set to 77 it actually gets up to 85 in the afternoons with the AC running full bore. DH used a gun that measures surface temperatures and the air coming in from the AC ducts is about 65 degrees, but it is not cooling the air closer to the ground (where we reside). The ceiling isn't that high, either--maybe 9 or 10 feet. So the AC guy is coming today and we'll discuss getting a bigger unit.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #34  
Workin' It

Happy house day, Dagmar! Woo!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #35  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Dagmar, try to hold onto your elation over home ownership despite the enormity of the to-do list that has just landed on you. I loved furnishing my apartment (which is a good thing, because the flood meant that I had to do it twice in three years). It's a creative act, to make an atmosphere, somewhere between a bird building its nest and the creation of installation art that rejects or celebrates aspects of your past & what you hope your future will be.

Bargoo, thinking of you behind a fencing mask, and glad you'll have the comfort & ease of a car service, & can slip into the backseat of something big, comfy & expensive-smelling when you transition from home to medical center.

Shannon, you ran in a 10K, I just realized this from our exercise logging thread. How did that go? Did I totally miss your account of it somehow?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

saef I think our home is going to be a bit more "rough and ready" than yours. I have pets and a man living with me so things are not bought that can't withstand some punishment. Couches have blankets thrown over them, rugs don't have fringes (Mudpie eats those), and no antiques (both Mud and DH are pretty rough on wooden furniture).

I do have a decorating plan, mostly incorporating everything we already have and adding some stuff. DH leaves most of that to me (though he does complain that he's got no input) as I pay for it so I get to choose. My theme is "Scando-Asian-curbside chic".

The decorating is the fun stuff for me. The reno has to be done first and will involve a lot of fighting, whining, and emailing back and forth. I have a plan for that too but DH has to be on board with it so it's tricky.

Life is a negotiation, yes?

Dagmar (still )
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
saef I think our home is going to be a bit more "rough and ready" than yours. I have pets and a man living with me so things are not bought that can't withstand some punishment. Couches have blankets thrown over them, rugs don't have fringes (Mudpie eats those), and no antiques (both Mud and DH are pretty rough on wooden furniture).

I do have a decorating plan, mostly incorporating everything we already have and adding some stuff. DH leaves most of that to me (though he does complain that he's got no input) as I pay for it so I get to choose. My theme is "Scando-Asian-curbside chic".

The decorating is the fun stuff for me. The reno has to be done first and will involve a lot of fighting, whining, and emailing back and forth. I have a plan for that too but DH has to be on board with it so it's tricky.

Life is a negotiation, yes?

Dagmar (still )
Don't forget.......you are the CEO !!!!!!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #38  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Dagmar, Is the house yours now? Did the closing happen? Been holding my breath all day.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Dagmar, Is the house yours now? Did the closing happen? Been holding my breath all day.
I handed over the money yesterday - yes, in one big lump (how weird is that - very). I get the keys Monday. Is it a done deal? I don't know but I am now calling myself the owner of the house.

I guess when DH and I do our quick walk through the empty house on Monday night it will be official. Maybe we should "mark" in the corners?

Dagmar
Old 07-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #40  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar !!!

Don't bother marking in the corners. The beloved furbabies will take care of that for you.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations ! When should we arrive for the housewarming ? I feel compelled to bring a carrot cake but will bring a fresh fruit plate, instead.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #42  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quickly, this is great news, Dagmar! I have to dash to get the Toronto flight. Will bring celery and cottage cheese.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #43  

The housewarming will be in November. I believe the food will be a little different then. I'll let you all know well in advance.

Should you all want to come to my current house now with all the cool juicy food you are most welcome. I do not like making salad, even though I enjoy eating it. Ditto fruit plates.

Dagmar
Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #44  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Screw it, I'm bringing a whole Cheesecake Factory cake! :P

Congratulations!!!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #45  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I have a wonderful white bean and tomato salad with rosemary vinaigrette - I'll bring a wheelbarrow full since I'm guessing there'll be a bunch of us.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote