3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Weekly Chat July 8 - July 14 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/284494-maintainers-weekly-chat-july-8-july-14-a.html)

BillBlueEyes 07-08-2013 05:14 AM

Maintainers Weekly Chat July 8 - July 14

Let saef's quote start the week:
Quote:

Originally Posted by saef (Post 4788102)
some abstemiousness and health back to this thread

Walking in the heat gives a false sense of accomplishment as the sweat streams off. We're in our hot spell that happens about twice a summer before it returns to New England's milder weather. Spent extra time watering our community garden that suffers under the heat.

New Jersey blueberries are now selling for $2 a pint. It's such a delight to indulge pretending that each berry carries enough antioxidants to make me live a day longer. When I'm indulging in blueberries, it's easy to ignore the repeated, consistent studies that show this not to be true. Belief can rise about science, LOL.

Mudpie 07-08-2013 05:27 AM

Good morning!

Salad! there, did that take everyone's minds back to a healthier place? :p

It is 3H here - hazy, hot, humid - for the 4th day in a row. DH and I were going to kayak yesterday but thunderstorms held us back. Ditto for the biking we decided to do instead. Just got the tires pumped up and everything checked out and it started POURING rain. SIGH.

But we did find something to do indoors. :devil: No, it did not involve anything with a Dutch name. :p

DH is really having problems with his knees now, due to what I think is arthritis. He won't go to a doctor. We are regularly having the discussion about weight loss, exercise, and increased health. And less stress, therefore probably less pain, for his knees.

He actually asked me what the point of it all was - what was the end goal? :(

That's so sad. It's been so long since he's felt healthy that he's forgotten what a major satisfaction it can be for us to know that we are strong, ready to face each day, and that we will be able to do something other than sit and stare as we age.

Speaking of which I am going to go strength train now. I can squeeze in 3 sets this morning as my work start is going to be at 11 a.m.

I'm having the joyous experience of both a mammogram and an ultrasound right before work so it will be a relief to take the dogs out afterwards. I think I'll be eating lunch in my car today but that's OK.

Good week all!

Dagmar :strong: :yoga:

WardHog 07-08-2013 08:40 AM

Good morning! I don't want to say anything about our weather for fear that I will jinx it, but there seems to be a strange bright thing in the sky ...

ICUwishing 07-08-2013 10:00 AM

Thanks all, for the kind words about my grandma. She was a force to be reckoned with - a steady presence of practicality. In my last conversation with her, I told her that I never needed to consult "WWJD", because I had a living mentor for civilized behavior. All I needed to consider was "WWGD" (What would Grandma do?) and when I aligned with that, I never regretted it. I got a big smile for that one. Saef, she would have been a great tough-love consultant around here, kind of like Lori Bell. I think Nike decided on their "Just Do It" logo after somebody who worked for them met my Grandma. I will miss her ... but she has left an indelible legacy of strong values, independence and critical thinking.

I am still recovering from DS14's birthday party on July 5th. I had 8 12-14 year old boys for 24 hours. I made major "mom points" on that one, although I suspect I shortened my lifespan. :D I requested two of my close friends, whose sons represented 50% of the attendance, to sit on me and pummel me into unconsciousness if I ever suggest doing such a thing again. No one got (seriously) hurt or arrested, which apparently means a successful party.

Hoping for a quiet, normal, predictable week.

ChrisMohr 07-08-2013 10:02 AM

Hi all,

Yes, the very word "salad" helps me think healthy! I may be a chocoholic, but I also REALLY enjoy fresh salad and consider the day incomplete without lots and lots of it.

Since my business is going under, this is a time of very low confidence. I can't seem to stop my mind from telling me that I can't succeed in my efforts at maintenance, just like in the past. That stress and my low emotional state guarantee my utter fasilure in this as in business.

The only answer I have to that voice is to eat well and lose my "winter weight," now. It's a "just do it" time where psychology and affirmations etc don't seem to help. The only other thing that seems to help is my maintenance allies right here, receiving support from you all.

Last week I switched from weight gain to maintenance gear, and in the last three days I am switching from maintenance to weight loss. The self-confidence will have to come later, I guess.

bargoo 07-08-2013 10:07 AM

Chris, I am sure there is a great new future ahead for you. It may be different to what you have done in the past but with your creative mind I know you are going to find success.

saef 07-08-2013 11:31 AM

Chris, I've never owned my own business, only worked for huge corporations, but I suspect that the issue is how closely you identify your job with yourself, and that you identify more closely than a lot of us. But the job & the way you make a living is only a part of you. You remain yourself at your essential core, unchanged, with all your good qualities. Still, I suspect what you are doing is mourning a loss of a kind, while also preparing to undergo some big change. But your weight loss must've taught you that you are able to initiate change and benefit from it, and respond well to it, that it takes patience, but that it can bring a new & better life. So I am hoping that helps you, and that you know you can continue to take good care of yourself despite what you are dealing with.

I was just thinking this morning that, this time last year, I finally stepped into my newly renovated apartment right after July Fourth holiday. All I managed to do with my mother's help on that first trip downstate was get the kitchen stuff put away, hang curtains and set up a bed. Thus began July 2012, when I alternated driving downstate to bring some things in my mother's minivan & camp out for a few nights, then returned upstate to live in a fully furnished, air-conditioned & comfortable house. I didn't really move in fully till the end of August. I am in a better place now ... if the tropical storms & hurricanes of this season will hold off. The kind of rain you all are having down in Georgia would be freaking me out. I don't like heat waves much but like snowstorms, I can sit them out. I have my own resources. But rain & flooding is another story.

alinnell 07-08-2013 12:11 PM

I'm back at work after a 4-day weekend. The paperwork really piled up and I'm busy, busy, busy! It was really nice having the extra long weekend. We relaxed a lot and went to see FOUR movies (as a way of staying out of the heat).

I sure wish some of your rain would head our way.

Just two more weeks until we leave for our vacation. I'm getting a little antsy.

Shannon in ATL 07-08-2013 01:11 PM

I'm at one of our outlyling locations (Dawsonville, for those in the know of the geography around these parts) today, about 1:15 away from my office, working on the time clock. The father of one of my coworkers (one I work with in my offices every day) passed away Friday and they are having the service today. I wanted to go, but it is 3 hours away from my office in the opposite direction from where I am now. Our Controller was able to go, but I'm sad that I couldn't be there, too.

I made my planned exercise every day last week, finishing the week with 5.25 miles at the park. The scale says the same as last week, but the pants I have on today are loose and they weren't the last time I wore them. I'm going to go with Dagmar's suggestion and take that as a reason to cheer. :carrot:

Ward - I'm trying not to jink the weather myself, too. I was thinking this morning I need to buy a sunlamp.

Saef - the rain down here is freaking me out. I'm not in a flood zone, but friends and family are. I looked today and it seems as if we are currently at 125%+ of our average rainfall.

Chris - the confidence will come back. I agree with Bargoo, you are too gifted and creative to not settle on something fantastic soon.

Becky - brave woman with the birthday party. I have a hard time with two boys in the house, much less 8.

Dagmar - hope the tests go well today.

Bill - I love blueberries. I'm going to go with faith in their effectiveness, too. :)

Good day everyone. :wave:

Mudpie 07-08-2013 04:59 PM

totally non maintenance

but I'd like some feedback from people I trust. And I trust you guys and I think most of you are homeowners.

I am going to have to buy a furnace. For me that's kinda like selecting a yacht - no clue as to how much it should cost or what brand I should get. It's going to be a high efficiency gas one. I'm looking at Bryant, Trane, American Standard, and Carrier.

Anyone got any of these? And what do you think of them? Model # and some specs - variable speed blower, dual heat exchanger, and AFUE rating are all factors.

thanks!
Dagmar

alinnell 07-08-2013 05:27 PM

Homeowner here! We have combo furnace/AC units (gas). Three of them are made by Lennox and the fourth (AC only for the garage) is a York. We didn't choose them. When we built our house the guy we felt was fairest in installing them said that Lennox was the best and we trusted his input. When DH decided he needed AC in the garage (we keep it at 85 year around) the previous guy was too busy to help us so we went with a different contractor that suggested York. I can't tell you that it works any different.

You've obviously done your homework. Have you interviewed contractors/installers to get their input? Granted they usually have ties to certain brands but if you get an "old guy" who has been around and has seen the good, the bad and the ugly and is willing to share with you, I'd trust his input.

Also keep in mind warranties--how long and what all is covered.

iriswhispers 07-08-2013 07:19 PM

My grocery store has blueberries on sale and I bought a bunch as well... love them fresh or frozen (or in a pie...)! Even if they're not total superfood miracles, I'm sure they're pretty good for me.

As for salad - and veggies in general - I need to eat more. I've been doing some travelling (to the beach and then to NY to visit my boyfriend for the 4th of July) and I'm pretty sure the arugula on my sandwich was the only real veggie I had in almost a week...

bargoo 07-08-2013 07:54 PM

I eat blueberries year around. If a store has them I buy them, no matter the price. I like blueberries.

Shannon in ATL 07-08-2013 08:13 PM

Dagmar - I have a Trane, and have had to replace two condenser coils in five years. Everyone says that is abmormal, and both have been warrantied. We've 'only' paid labor to the tune of $600 per time. The unit itself is good. Don't go zoned, I can say that clearly. :) like Allison said, pay attention to warranty. Lots of attention. LOL

traveling michele 07-08-2013 08:28 PM

I currently have an excess of blueberries and cherries in my fridge! I have tons of other fruit as well. My fridge is full of healthy food!

I don't know anything about my furnace except we bought a furnace/AC unit when we bought our house 7 years ago. Our house was built in 1980 and had no AC when we bought it! That wouldn't have been fun last week when it was 105 degrees multiple days in a row.

I don't remember if I mentioned the issues my dh had trying to fly to China? He usually leaves on Saturday and his flight would have been taking off around the same time that the flight crashed there. He planned to leave Sunday instead and I dropped him off at SFO at 9 am (news crews EVERYWHERE!). His flight was due to leave at noon. First it was delayed till 12:30, then 2:30, then cancelled! They put him on a China Air flight that was supposed to leave at 2:30. It kept getting delayed and finally took off at 8 pm!! He arrived safely but his bags apparently are still here at SFO in lost baggage. We'll see when they make it to China!

Older dd and I have a flight to Houston on Saturday. Not sure how that will go as the one runway is shut down indefinitely.

I had a lovely lunch today with three wonderful parents from my school-- they have been my volunteers and we've all become friends-- I had a healthy salmon salad with the dressing on the side. Ignored the bread basket. Success.

Not so successful was my trip to the dentist. I have an old crown that needs replacing. I hate the dentist. I'd rather go to the gyno and have 5 mammograms (which by the way I have a mammo this week to) than go to the dentist. Plus it's $$$$. Sigh.

My afternoon gym session also got nixed. I was at the gym. I had gotten my pass for body pump. Then dd (younger) texted me that she has a migraine and was throwing up. So, I left the gym and went to take care of the doggie that she is pet sitting for. She just got home from work and went to bed.