Hi All -
Ever since registering on 3FC I keep getting stuck in this forum. You all really motivate and inspire me. I feel that learning from people that have successfully lost the weight and kept it off (some of you for years!!! AMAZING) is my biggest motivation.
That is the reason, why I wanted to post this here and get your opinion/help. I am sure some of you have people in your life that just make losing weight difficult.
My MIL lost like 30 lbs and is stick thin now. She is very focused on her weight but eats everything, just VERY little. She picks at her food and eats tiny portions. All this is not the problem. The problem I have is, that weight/food are a very important part in my in laws house. A few examples:
- She mentioned that my friend must have liked her food since she had a second plate (I NEVER pay attention to how much other people eat).
- "Wow person ABC ate a lot, you only had half a chicken breast and me too - but she ate a lot"
- My SIL gained weight and she told me (180 lbs!) that she ballooned up and weighs 155 now (I would take that weight in a heart beat lol). She also mentioned that she had dessert at her house (a brownie AND ice cream on top - DRAMA) and seems to eat more now.
- her daugther was chubby and she commented (behind her back) after a lunch that she was happy, that she aimed for a salad and not a sandwich
- we were watching Dancing with the Stars and she commented on almost all girls that they were "chunky".
So my problem is, that I feel constantly monitored, I can see her checking me out when I come in (did she lose/gain). Whenever I lose weight my in laws mention it right away and congratulate me (which makes me feel uncomfortable - it just doesnīt feel like a compliment, but rather like "thank god you are finally losing weight again").
Every time we meet she mentions if somebody lost weight/gained weight, what people eat (Person ABC is gluten free for example), she comments on peoples portions (i.e. "I gave you this much since you usually only eat that much" or "Whatīs wrong you usually donīt eat that little.").
She also told people, that I am easy since I ate ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. I am so embarrassed when people hear that...
I donīt know how to handle this anymore. It drives me crazy and one of my friends even noticed it. I always have to go out to dinner with them and see her checking my plate when I finish eating. I always only get salad in front of them.
Do you have people like that in your life? How do you handle it? How do you react when the weight is always a topic? Do you eat differently in public?
Do you ever discuss your weight/diet? Would you confront her?
So many questions...