3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers Weekly Chat July 1 - July 7

Old 07-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #46

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Chris, I understand about sugar. When I eat anything with sugar, my body says more, more, more !
Old 07-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #47

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Last night DS went with friends to dinner and a movie (Despicable Me) so DH and I decided to go out for dinner. We tried a new(ish) Mexican place not far from us. It was really good and I was very impressed at how fast they were. Normally we wait a good 5 minutes for drinks and chips and then another 20 before dinner arrives. Our drinks were ready in less than 2 minutes and by then we'd decided on our entree so we ordered and the food was there in less than 5 minutes. It sure kept the temptation of the chips at bay! And it was good, too.

I had decided to grill burgers for the 4th, but am second guessing that decision for two reasons. One, it's still hotter than bejeebus here and I don't relish the idea of standing over a hot grill out there when it is 115 degrees! Second, I've got a lot of fresh veggies for certain dishes that I really ought to use before they go bad. So tonight will either be summer lasagna (fresh tomatoes, zucchini and broccoli) or baked egg rolls (cabbage, sprouts, etc.) served with forbidden rice and edamame. Neither are particularly American dishes, but they may have to do!

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #48

I was thinking hot dogs or Sloppy Joes, neither one diet friendly.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #49
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)156/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Jessica, it's so good to see you surface from the mayhem of adapting to your twins, especially as they keep chug-a-lugging from you and growing & growing. That's their job for now. And yours is to serve as the Miracle-Gro, I guess. Good on you that you get to take a walk, not just so that you can move, but also so that you get a mental respite and can settle & think a little.

Jen, your plight is calling to mind the way Meghan talks about herself sometimes. She says of these occasions that Fat Meghan somehow broke out of the room where Meghan has locked her. These jail breaks are temporary. They are a reaction to the way we watch ourselves so carefully and live such planned-out lives. When we let ourselves offleash, boy, do we make a run for it. I think you're tired of running and you will come back again and willingly accept the collar & leash.

Allison, I don't care if I'm being un-American, I made a crockpot full of Moroccan chicken thighs. (Yesterday I got saffron threads at Marshall's, of all places. Marked down with a red sticker. Of course, I also picked up a pair of orange capri pants.) I was in the mood for them and the crockpot doesn't heat up the kitchen.

I feel like I'm going to have a good holiday and will catch up on two movies that I've been meaning to see for a couple weeks now.

Last edited by saef : 07-04-2013 at 09:21 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #50

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Silly moment for the day. I bought 3 kid's t shirts from LLBean in a colour they call "sprout". It's not yellow, not green, but it's bright and kinda like the "safety yellow" that is used on the jackets and vests of various civil service folk.

So I brought Doug the Pug back from his walk and popped into the bathroom to use the throne. There is a toddler in the house. I looked down to the left of the throne and saw the toddler's potty - exactly the same colour as my new shirts.

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Silly moment for the day. I bought 3 kid's t shirts from LLBean in a colour they call "sprout". It's not yellow, not green, but it's bright and kinda like the "safety yellow" that is used on the jackets and vests of various civil service folk.

So I brought Doug the Pug back from his walk and popped into the bathroom to use the throne. There is a toddler in the house. I looked down to the left of the throne and saw the toddler's potty - exactly the same colour as my new shirts.

Dagmar
I'm more intrigued by you wearing kid's T Shirts than about the color.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #52

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Thanks so much everyone for being there for me.

Today I'm calmer and more in control. It's always such a relief to know that others have been there done that and have come back from the edge.

I survived 2 things today - first was a barbecue. I was NOT perfect - had some chips - but otherwise had a hamburger with no bun, baked beans, and said NO to carrot cake, lemon bars and crappy *** store bought cookies. Then, since we had been camping, the cupboards were bare, so we had to get some groceries. The bakery department SCREAMED "BUY ME, EAT ME!" - for me it's always bread type items, not really sweets per se - but I stuck to only healthy things.

I also went for a 9 mile run this morning - stepped on the scale (which is always artificially down after a run) and was back "only" 3 pounds over when I left. And yes Michelle - that was part of my "punishment" - looking at the scale when I got home! Crazy, huh?

As always Saef, you hit the nail on the head. I hadn't thought of it in terms of being "off leash" but I did think of it as "The Grand Return of Fat Jen" who makes an appearance here and there, but has not had this much control over "thinner Jen" in a VERY long time. She is hanging in there for dear life, but for today, "thinner Jen" is pulling ahead in the race at least for today.

Dinner = Mahi Mahi, corn on the cob and a salad.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate it so much.

Jen

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try I'll never know!" ~ Wicked ~

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said 'I just don't care!'" ~ Pink ~

http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/

My goal reached thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ncers-say.html
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #53

bargoo The largest size of kid's t shirts (16-18 I think) fits me beautifully. The boys shirts are well made and last several seasons and they are much cheaper than adult's shirts.

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Old 07-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #54
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/127/125

Height: 5'2"

124.2 on the scale both on Wed. and this morning. That's 3 pounds less than before I left for Greece. Given that I couldn't lose an ounce on my home diet at 1200 cal/day for over a month, I consider this nothing short of miraculous. The biggest differences? Full-fat yogurt, lots of olive oil on/in everything and no snacks of any kind between meals. Absolutely no formal exercise whatsoever, and truth be told, on many days I didn't even get in a lot of walking (we did a LOT of driving, and took ferries between islands which would take a big chunk out of the day). Not sure what conclusions to draw from this "experiment," but maybe I'll start buying real yogurt and cottage cheese (instead of the fat-free kind) and not be so afraid of buying foods packed in oil.

Currently maintaining a semblance of calm.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #55

Andrea, congratulations on the loss ! Regarding foods packed in oil I always get tuna packed in oil, I think tuna packed in water is tasteless.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #56

Congrats Andrea! I'm not too afraid of fat either, maybe it's just cuz I'm not addicted to it so it doesn't trigger an eating cycle.

Whew Jen congrats to both of us for finding our way back on track. That's not easy but the support of friends here helps more than I can say.

I enjoyed a nice dinner last night with 1 1/2 slices of chocolate cake (not great but within reason for a holiday). Today I continue the weight loss pattern I've started to get back to my ideal summer weight of 185.

I think about how I started up all the negative dietary patterns again (secrecy, despair, compulsive eating of sugar/chocolate, not weighing myself, etc.) and how with a little support from y'all and I was able to eat more honestly again. I was reminded of a famous conversation with a monk. When asked what he and his fellow monks did at their monastery, he said, "We fall down, we get back up again, we fall down, get back up again..." Some of us seem to be able to styay very steady with maintenance, I'm more like that monk, but somehow I keep stumbling forward!
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMohr View Post
Congrats Andrea! I'm not too afraid of fat either, maybe it's just cuz I'm not addicted to it so it doesn't trigger an eating cycle.

Whew Jen congrats to both of us for finding our way back on track. That's not easy but the support of friends here helps more than I can say.

I enjoyed a nice dinner last night with 1 1/2 slices of chocolate cake (not great but within reason for a holiday). Today I continue the weight loss pattern I've started to get back to my ideal summer weight of 185.

I think about how I started up all the negative dietary patterns again (secrecy, despair, compulsive eating of sugar/chocolate, not weighing myself, etc.) and how with a little support from y'all and I was able to eat more honestly again. I was reminded of a famous conversation with a monk. When asked what he and his fellow monks did at their monastery, he said, "We fall down, we get back up again, we fall down, get back up again..." Some of us seem to be able to styay very steady with maintenance, I'm more like that monk, but somehow I keep stumbling forward!
I hear you on the negative eating patterns Chris. I think all of us probably do our "bad" eating in secret, yes? I know I for one, even though my DH is very overweight and unfit, would never, ever want him to see me scarf down a dozen of those huge cookies in 20 minutes. Nor would I want him to see me cramming sugar into my mouth from the bowl with a tablespoon. To me those things seem bizzare and crazy. But none of us are crazy - we just react to food differently than other folks. So it's good to come here and describe our "sins" because we know almost everyone else here has something they are ashamed of too. Helps to know we're not alone in our "food fetishes".

Dagmar

Old 07-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #58
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/<148

Height: 5'7.5"

Alrighty, I am finally getting off "lurk"!

Top moments from the Danube cruise, first:
1. Had a "top 3 lifetime" meal at a new restaurant in Budapest - they referred to themselves as "Hungarian experimental". I'll attach when I get it compressed properly. I had the trout, DS went with catfish, DH had wild boar cheeks, and my mom had the lamb. On a scale of 1-10, the experience was a 14.
2. Watching DS learn to waltz in the arms of a soprano from the Vienna Opera, after dinner at Palais Pallavicini in Vienna.
3. Listening to Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor played in private concert on the world's largest cathedral-based pipe organ, St. Stephens Cathedral in Passau, Germany, from the organ nest.

Like Andrea, I ate very differently and in greater amounts - and saw no scale punishment at all. I don't have a big sweet tooth, so I generally tasted the pastries to be polite. Sausage, however, made up a far bigger part of my meals. And gravlax, one of my all-time favorite foods, was consumed at almost every breakfast. Cheese also figured prominently. There are things to be learned from this.

When we got home, we found out that both of Paul's parents had had a health crisis while we were gone - his mom caught a nasty viral bug that led to 4 days of hospital stay, followed by his dad, one day after her release, experiencing a side effect of Coumadin that was unusual and serious enough that he was airlifted to U of M again. Two days later, he was out. And on Wednesday, my grandma passed away.

I've been having some trouble getting back in the groove too, since I got back. I seem to have had a rebound weight gain of some sort - was up to 155.5 this morning, which shocked me back into line. 4 pounds AFTER a cruise? Ahem.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #59

Chris, Dagmar I am a secret eater, too. I have known this for years. I learned this years ago at work, when I refused food offered by coworkers and when no one was around scarfed the same food offerings down. A couple of weeks ago I was at the grocery checkout line and of course staring at the candy display. They had Mounds Bars and Milky Way Bars on sale. Did I cave ? Yep. I went home and stuffed those things in my mouth as if I would get arrested if found in my possession. That is not an enjoyable way to enjoy a treat. I am definitely addicted to sugar and find it best to keep it at a minimum , sometimes I fail.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #60
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/<148

Height: 5'7.5"

Count me in on the "sneak-eater" club. My weight since 2008 is usually little more than a reflection of the frequency that I let it happen.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.