Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #16  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

krampus, better late than never! It will feel really good to know that all the work is done and you don't have to wonder about it any more.

Dagmar, how's your wound healing? You sound upbeat - like spring is finally reaching you!

michele, I've watched the Insanity infomercial several times with a sort of fascinated horror. Much as I love to imagine what I could gain from doing it, I know I have a long way to go before I could carry out that kind of exercise commitment!

bill, too true about grubbiness and nibbling!
Jessica, congrats on having the babies at home! I think your strategy with the parents is a great one - tell them what you need and would appreciate the most. All parents remember the experience of a new baby, and we know how incredibly busy those first months are, and how grateful new parents are for any sort of help!

ds, maintenance has its ebbs and flows. The only constant seems to be the lack of constants!

iris, agree with you that being on track is a huge mental leap ahead!

We're getting ready to leave tomorrow night for Europe and there have been a lot of things to do. Originally my mom was handling all the details, but with my grandma in hospice care, she's obviously spending a lot of time there. I'm starting to get really geeked up.

We logged 9.65 miles last night. The weather couldn't have been more perfect, so they pushed an extra mile and a half on us. Today ... oh, my, I am feeling it! Sitting on an airplane for 8 hours actually sounds good at the moment!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

becky Have a GREAT time in Europe! Enjoy all sorts of excellent beer!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Sorry Krampus but you need to take good care of your teeth! My mom lost her teeth at an early age and it has scared me to take good care of my teeth-- I floss (almost) daily, brush multiple times a day and always go for cleanings!

I did the insanity video on Sunday and my calves are still super sore!! Wow! Not sure when I'll try it again! I'm hoping that is partially the cause of my weight being up more than usual.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #19  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I really wish I hadn't waited so long. Turns out I'm not afraid of the dentist and they're not out to ruin my life or anything. I already scheduled my next cleaning in 6 months.

Weather's finally nice and I had a really weirdly low WI this morning (121.2 after gym and a decent BM) despite having what felt like a maintenance calories day yesterday. I also checked myself out in the mirror and saw the faint shadow of ABS - they went away once I drank water, but still...
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #20  

Just bought a rug for the new place - like this but in red! I was going to actually GET the yellow but the decor worked out differently. I'm going for a vibrant scando/asian feel. A very colourful train wreck is probably what I'll end up with but it'll be a fun house!

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/HAND-KNOTTED-...qDhw~~60_3.JPG

I didn't have much usefor interior decorators - until now. This stuff is hard! Spoke to one of the other dogwalkers who is just in the process of redoing her living room. Her decorating tastes sound quite a bit like mine - turquoise couch and eggplant walls for her place. No beige or gray allowed!

I do confess I will probably have gray curtains and a gray ottoman, just to provide a bit of relief from all the vibrant colour and to have a neutral throughout the house.

DH will kill me if he finds out I bought a rug without carefully measuring the space and charting it out on graph paper. I have a great spatial sense, both in 2 and 3 dimensions. I can take all the furniture that is supposed to go into a room and have it arranged in a functional yet pleasing way in about 15 minutes.

Another largely useless skill, along with spotting spelling mistakes, being able to match colours to things in the back of my closet I haven't seen in 2 years without looking, hanging art without having to measure, etc.

Dagmar
Old 06-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #21  

Karen and I have been running a very successful wedding chapel for 17 years now. But business is way down this year, so much so that we are selling the building and going out of business. Not fun news at all for a guy who's six years away from retirement. We've both been depressed, scared, uncertain. I have managed to maintain my winter weight and not go even higher, but the goal of losing that last ten pounds again is eluding me. I'm self-medicating with chocolate chip cookies (in a controlled way at least) but that's no way to lose weight. Bummer.
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMohr View Post
Karen and I have been running a very successful wedding chapel for 17 years now. But business is way down this year, so much so that we are selling the building and going out of business. Not fun news at all for a guy who's six years away from retirement. We've both been depressed, scared, uncertain. I have managed to maintain my winter weight and not go even higher, but the goal of losing that last ten pounds again is eluding me. I'm self-medicating with chocolate chip cookies (in a controlled way at least) but that's no way to lose weight. Bummer.
Sorry to hear that Chris. I too "run my own show" and it can be difficult at times. I hope there is work that you enjoy still in your future and that you will be able to retire comfortably.

Now step away from the darn cookies! (I say this in my nicest tough love voice)

Dagmar
Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

So sorry about the business Chris. It is difficult to be a small business owner and having to deal with the economy and uncertainty.

I haven't heard much more from DD regarding her wedding plans. I don't think she felt well yesterday so probably didn't "work" on it much. I do wish she'd come home for a weekend so we could talk about it all rather than doing FB or Google chat.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #24  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I am sorry about the business, Chris.

Wedding planning via FB is no fun!

Ugh - came home from a swim meet at 11 pm last night to no A/C upstairs. A repairman will be here sometime between 1 and 4 so we wait. I am dreading hearing what the cost will be.

Not to mention that DH's car has been in the shop for a week. He is driving a rental. The car rental place was all out of "normal" cars so he has a mustang. I have been chiding him all week about his "muscle car".
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm sorry to hear about your business Chris. Do you have other plans now, or can you retire early? As you know, food is not the answer (I need to tell myself this on an almost daily basis!).
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #26  
Chuggin' along...

Summer busy-ness continues around here. The sea turtles on my island are laying nests like crazy this year. It's good for them but I'm sure tired! I can feel my body getting into better shape from all the field work. The heat is really wreaking havoc with my appetite. I'm trying to just listen to my body for when I'm hungry. I mean, why force food? Though it's strange to me because I'm not one of those people who can usually just skip a meal. BF's new sailboat is also doing a booming charter business and he's exciting this idea seems to be working. He works 7 days a week and gets home at 9:30 PM when I'm close to passing out from his sunset cruises so we don't see eat other much, but that's normal for this time of year. This is his season to make money, he's got to take advantage! Our never ending bowls of kale salad and romaine salad in the fridge, combined with larger batches of various proteins cooked with leftovers in mind work well for both of us. All of this is good for my body and my weight!

I found a place sort of nearby to pick blackberries, so I'm going with a friend later today. I hope to freeze a bunch. I've already frozen one batch of blueberries from a pick-your-own place that uses no pesticides. Of course I eat as many as I can fresh, too! I've got to eat as many berries while I have the chance! I love berries and summer fruit.

Dagmar, sounds like you're having a great time making this new home your own. Love it! Glad you're having so much fun.

Chris, sorry to hear about your chapel closing. Can you retire early or do you or Karen have any prospects? Will the building sale give you some cushion? Is your opera and music stuff able to provide you with some income? in this difficult time.

Insanity sound crazy to me! There is one time I might have been in good enough shape to do the workouts. I sort of lament that, but the amount of workouts that took may not have been sustainable for me. Michele I'll bet you're sore! Good for you!

Iris, wow. Medical school is HARD. Enjoy your well-deserved break! Good to see you here, too!

Becky, I hope you have a great time on your trip.

Jessica, the girls are so precious. I love the Ctrl C & Ctrl V onesies. Sounds like a good idea to have your dad do some home repairs. I'm sure your parents just want to be helpful without being too in the way.

Allison, congrats to your DD! How exciting. If you can afford it a wedding planner would probably be really helpful. There's nothing like having a local who knows the resources available.

Hi to everyone else. Have a great weekend everyone.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote