3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers Weekly Chat June 10 - June 16

Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #16

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I remember summers in elementary school and junior high when I "got" to mow the lawn. Seriously, it was fun when I was younger. After a while it did become a chore. These days we have a gardener who does it for us.

The new building we bought sits on a corner and we have grass--a LOT of grass. One of our employees owed us some money for some glass he bought from us and then couldn't pay back so DH offered him a trade--mow the lawn for x number of weeks and we'll call it even. That was great, but now he's paid up so we had to hire a gardener for that. At one point, we got some bids to take out all the grass and put in some desert landscaping (cacti, small shrubs, rocks, etc.). I'd really LOVE that (and it would cut down on our water bill), but it is so expensive! I think the low bid was $35,000.00! Maybe if we win the lottery...

Becky, no way would I be able to do any of those three things to anyone verbally attacking me! In hindsight of a situation like Dagmar was in, I'd certainly THINK of those things but could never actually do it! DH was at a job site the other day when the homeowner accosted him. He actually threatened to have DH killed. DH carefully explained all that was going on with the construction so the homeowner understood and the guy left the conversation with a comment more in line with "I'll just have them break your legs." I think that if I were there, I would have said something to the tune of "I don't know how you do business where you're from (New York, BTW), but we do it different here in the desert" and walk away from the situation. I'm glad DH has a cool head about him!

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #17
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/<148

Height: 5'7.5"

Allison, it depends on the day and the reason. I really have had it with uncivilized, stupid blowhards who learned their manners from the internet and reality TV, but yes, one does have to do a personal risk assessment on the fly. Some of these morons might indeed be dangerous. This is where it comes in handy to be able to smile, and say "Two words. I carry."
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #18

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I remember summers in elementary school and junior high when I "got" to mow the lawn. Seriously, it was fun when I was younger. After a while it did become a chore. These days we have a gardener who does it for us.

The new building we bought sits on a corner and we have grass--a LOT of grass. One of our employees owed us some money for some glass he bought from us and then couldn't pay back so DH offered him a trade--mow the lawn for x number of weeks and we'll call it even. That was great, but now he's paid up so we had to hire a gardener for that. At one point, we got some bids to take out all the grass and put in some desert landscaping (cacti, small shrubs, rocks, etc.). I'd really LOVE that (and it would cut down on our water bill), but it is so expensive! I think the low bid was $35,000.00! Maybe if we win the lottery...

Becky, no way would I be able to do any of those three things to anyone verbally attacking me! In hindsight of a situation like Dagmar was in, I'd certainly THINK of those things but could never actually do it! DH was at a job site the other day when the homeowner accosted him. He actually threatened to have DH killed. DH carefully explained all that was going on with the construction so the homeowner understood and the guy left the conversation with a comment more in line with "I'll just have them break your legs." I think that if I were there, I would have said something to the tune of "I don't know how you do business where you're from (New York, BTW), but we do it different here in the desert" and walk away from the situation. I'm glad DH has a cool head about him!
Allison, DH is a lot calmer than I would be. I do think this should be reported to the police, this guy sounds nuts enough to do some sort of damage, the police should have a report that he made threats,,,,twice.!!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #19

S/C/G: 178/119/125

Height: 5'5"

Someone tell me to walk away from the pastries.....
Multiple boxes of amazing looking bakery goodies have shown up in my break room. They are calling to me.... loudly.....

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
183/365 workouts
155 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Someone tell me to walk away from the pastries.....
Multiple boxes of amazing looking bakery goodies have shown up in my break room. They are calling to me.... loudly.....
Oh! Do I hear you. I am embarrassed to tell this story on myself but in case it helps someone I will. This happened a number of years ago when I was on one of my many diets. Someone brought in a box of donuts to the break room.I sanctimoniously announced I am on a diet, I can't have one. The next morning I was the first one at work , went to the break room for coffee, a few remaining donuts were still there, donuts that have been left out all night are hard and unappealing. I ATE ONE !!!!!I knew right then that I had a problem with sugar, that I was most likely addicted to sugar.I knew there was something drastically wrong the way I was handling food issues. Sadly, it was a number of years before I actually did something about this. I do recognize that sugar has a strong appeal to me. Sugar is still a problem for me, show me an apple and a cookie and I will take the cookie every time.This is something I have to guard against all the time, sometimes I win, sometimes I fail but I am always aware of this.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #21

Thanks for sharing Bargoo. I had to go to the bathroom and walk by the treats. I didn't take one but I sure still have the urge. The scale wasn't kind to me this morning so I'd hate for it to be even worse tomorrow-- and I'd know why....

2014 workout goals:

So far:
183/365 workouts
155 bikram yogas
Old 06-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #22
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

I'm having posting complications today. I think it is because I'm distracted.

I'm all up for virtual mowing and weeding. I have some weeding that needs to be done in my garden, too.

Birchie - it is amazing how much you feel after mowing tall grass. Seriously.

Allison - DH is very patient. Wow that would make me mad.

Michele - step away from the pastries.

Becky - I don't have a riding mower, so no mowing with a G&T for me, no matter how appealing it sounds. LOL

Last edited by Shannon in ATL : 06-12-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/<148

Height: 5'7.5"

The germophobe in me does a great job with helping me imagine a bunch of scenarios where folks who have been to the bathroom (or wiping sniffles) without washing their hands have been carefully selecting their pastry by touching each one ...

Last edited by ICUwishing : 06-11-2013 at 11:50 AM.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
The germophobe in me does a great job with helping me imagine a bunch of scenarios where folks who have been to the bathroom (or wiping sniffles) without washing their hands have been carefully selecting their pastry by touching each one ...
I see this in the grocery store where anyone can open the case including grubby little hands of children.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post

We sat out on the patio with scotch for a little bit last night trying to detox from the week, then get a call from DH's estranged father. Cancer. Lots of it. Probably not much time left. He wants DH to come up and bring DSS to visit. I'm trying not to be brutally angry on DH's behalf. This man ignored him for years - there are so many memories of DH waiting with his little suitcase by the door for the dad who never came to pick him up for whatever promised event. He finally had to let go and move on. They talk maybe once a year or so. Now dad calls and tells him about the cancer, asks him to come visit and says 'I might not have been father of the year, but you aren't a great son either'. I was so mad I almost fell out of my chair. DH took it pretty mellow and just said 'okay dad' and moved the conversation on. One more thing for this terrible month. Terrible year, it seems like.
I understand how you feel about this, Shannon but despite the cruel way DH was treated by his father, DH will never have regrets if he goes and sees his father now.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #26
Maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I understand how you feel about this, Shannon but despite the cruel way DH was treated by his father, DH will never have regrets if he goes and sees his father now.
Oh I know, and we will find a way to go. He lives several hours away from us, but we'll make it happen. It is the right thing to do. I'll have gotten past the mad by then I hope. I'm having a harder time with it than I should, I think I'm attaching everything else onto this thing and making it my rally cry in my head right now and that isn't fair, I know.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL : 06-12-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Oh I know, and we will find a way to go. He lives several hours away from us out of state, but we'll make it happen. It is the right thing to do. I'll have gotten past the mad by then I hope. I'm having a harder time with it than I should, I think I'm attaching everything else onto this thing and making it my rally cry right now and that isn't fair, I know.
Instead of being angry think how proud you will be of DH for being the bigger person and doing the right thing.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #28
Maintaining

I like that Bargoo. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #29

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
With this description, I imagine my DH. He has this HORRIBLE habit of wiping his nose with his finger/hand. He does it constantly. And even more when he seems to be a bit stressed. The absolute WORST is when we're standing and talking to a customer and he does it a dozen or so times and then shakes the guy's hand. Ewww. I've talked to him about it so often, too. He says his nose itches or whatever. For some reason he doesn't see it as something gross. Sometimes I think he has no idea that he's doing it. I kind of want to secretly video him doing it and then play it back later.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
With this description, I imagine my DH. He has this HORRIBLE habit of wiping his nose with his finger/hand. He does it constantly. And even more when he seems to be a bit stressed. The absolute WORST is when we're standing and talking to a customer and he does it a dozen or so times and then shakes the guy's hand. Ewww. I've talked to him about it so often, too. He says his nose itches or whatever. For some reason he doesn't see it as something gross. Sometimes I think he has no idea that he's doing it. I kind of want to secretly video him doing it and then play it back later.
They no longer look appealing to me!
They are somewhat picked over and I can imagine many hands have touched them.

I'm so sorry Shannon about dh and his father. He hopefully (your dh) can have some closure after his father dies. I had to care for both of my parents when they were dying. They were both horrible people to me most of my life. It was hard to do but I have peace knowing that I cared for them even if they didn't do the same for me.

I'm facing so many challenges food wise the next couple of weeks! So hard... dh came back last night from China. He loves to cook and I love his food. My childhood friend (from 3rd grade!) is here on business for two weeks. She assumed my dh would be out of town and suggested that she is available every evening. Well...no... dh happens to be in town. We are getting together for sushi tomorrow (after I do bikram!) and we'll see when else we get together. Thursday is my work party (tons of food of course) from 2-5-- not sure how/when I'll exercise. Next week I have a librarian party with food again and again with the times that makes it hard to exercise but I shouldn't miss either. Gotta stay strong and ignore my grumbly tummy!

When I'm having trouble staying focused (or the scale is being stupid) I try to remember some NSV's (non scale victories). I had a few recently in Houston. When looking at apartments with dd, two of the people showing us apartments thought we were friends, not mom and dd-- my dd thought it was amusing-- like her friend would pay her deposit?? Then at the airport, an employee asked dd if she needed help and she said-- no-- my mom is asking for help-- the employee saw me and went on and on-- no way that is your mom! You're kidding?! Really?! Almost embarrassing! Finally, yesterday at body pump, a new woman was asking me about the class. She couldn't believe how much weight I had on my bar. I don't really lift that much but compared to someone new, I guess I do. So, I need to remember those.

What NSV's have any of you had lately?

2014 workout goals:

So far:
183/365 workouts
155 bikram yogas
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.