3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers Weekly Chat June 3 - June 9

Old 06-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #16

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Happy Birthday, Jen!

Andrea, we're in the desert of So Cal, so yes, we do get outrageously hot temperatures. But our winters are divine! I'm not sure I could handle living near the coast here--the marine layer makes everything gloomy until midday.

We went to see Into Darkness the weekend it came out. Great movie! I loved the references to the old series.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/<148

Height: 5'7.5"

Happy birthday, Jen!

Bill, I hear you on the heat. And the cold, and the humidity, and the bugs, and the bad pavement, and the stinky roadkills ... I've raised making excuses into an art form. Nike's right - Just Do It!

Dagmar, welcome back home! A 2lb loss is a nice benefit. I feel DH's angst about the social event. We have DS's 2nd-to-last private school function tonight (yay!) and while they're a long way from being agonizing, it's just not my "space". A lot of it does come from overthinking things, and I do find that a medicinal shot beforehand does grease the social rails quite a bit.

saef, it must be a lot of fun to be somewhere that there are seasonal, fresh trends in dress. Here in MI, we are simply swapping out our Red Wings jerseys for our Tigers ball caps! My galpal, who moved back to MI after spending 7 years in DC is having a little trouble with the adjustment.

Allison, great job with the treadmill! I wonder if I could find a way to set up my iPad so I can play Bejeweled on the run ... I should seriously explore that.

krampus, hope the dinner with the landlord went well, and he hears you out. Unless there's a major drop in rent that goes along with it ... I overdo it like you did about once every 5 years; I think it's some sort of weird need to see if hangovers still suck. The bad news is that as far as I can tell, they get exponentially worse as I age.

Michele, glad to hear you're enjoying TX and your time with DD!

I've been buried in DS's school year wrapups. He's finishing 8th grade and moving to high school next year; there's all sorts of "graduation" activities on top of the usual annual programs. He decided to bite the bullet this summer and do the morning (7-9am) 5-day/week swimming workouts with the gold-level team; it'll give him a chance to meet some of the high school swim team and the coach. I just have to figure out the driving stuff (as always!).
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #18

Becky--a strange thing happened the first time I tried to read my Kindle on the treadmill. I set the kindle up against the control panel of the treadmill and suddenly the treadmill lit up with the results of the last workout. And then it wouldn't respond. I had to unplug the treadmill to reboot it. And then when I tried to turn on the kindle, it had turned itself off (I rarely turn it off--just black out the screen as it takes so long to boot up). I wonder what the relationship of the two electronic systems did to each other? In any case, no way could I play Bejeweled on the treadmill--too much concentration on the game. I have to pay a little more attention to the actual treadmill as I have this Louie cat who watches and has decided lately to take a ride with me. Yesterday I almost stepped on him as he whooshed down the tread! That said, I have found a placement of the kindle so that it stays put without having any electronic malfunction and I can easily "turn" the pages.

``•Allison•``

Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)156/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I have to pay a little more attention to the actual treadmill as I have this Louie cat who watches and has decided lately to take a ride with me. Yesterday I almost stepped on him as he whooshed down the tread!
The cat was on the treadmill? Yow!!! What did his face look like?

In my effort to relax my rigidity a little, I said "yes" to an email invitation to stop at a tavern yesterday at 6:30 PM. It was 25-cent chicken wing night, which didn't delight me as much as the other people on the email. I worried about this. I ended up eating dinner at home, rather quickly, at 6 PM, before heading out. I drank seltzer with lime, which no one questioned, and discovered a valuable piece of information: The tavern has a steak & portobello mushroom salad that looks absolutely delicious, and would have made a fine dinner for me. This once again suggested that I ought to let providence hold sway, and provide for me, when I go out into the world without any plans. Oh, and I had an okay time. Not wonderful, but the fact that I showed up means something. Also, the chicken wings weren't that tempting because they turn into a pile of unsightly bones.

I'm trying ... I'm trying ...

Last edited by saef : 06-04-2013 at 12:56 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #20
Chuggin' along...

I'm rather tired/cranky today because the dog has been up and down all night, a lot, lately, waking me up and needing extra bathroom trips around 2 AM. I think it's probably got to do with our later walking schedule (we come come from our 1+ hour walk around 8:30 PM and then she drinks water because it's hot outside, and in cooler months our walks are a few hours earlier) but I'm really not enjoying it! I feel like a mean person taking water away from a dog, but I guess I can give her some without letting her drink a half a bowl that late at night. I'm not sure if it's just the dog or I'm having trouble sleeping for other reasons, but am pretty restless at night despite being tired. Maybe it's the change in season.

Jen, Happy Birthday!!!

Dagmar, I would gladly send a few degrees of warmth your way if it were in my power. It is hot and muggy here. Blech. Good luck being social tonight. It is hard to make small talk when you feel uncomfortable, I know.

Saef, I hate that. When I eat a healthy dinner at home, and discover there is something healthy-ish and appetizing available after all. Maybe your friends will want to go to the same place again (is wing night a weekly thing?) and you will know about their menu now. Good for you for going out and accepting a last-minute invite!

Krampus, did your landlord just decide to move in out of the blue? Good luck and let us know how that conversation goes.

Becky, maybe you can take turns carpooling with someone who lives nearby for those early swim practices.

Michele, enjoy the time with your BFF! Sounds like fun!

Allison, Becky, I love to read on cardio machines. I have a good gauge of how much cardio I'm doing on the machines by how often I have to visit the library. There are clear plastic book holders like this that fit over most cardio screens that keep your book or reader secure. So worth it! Allison, did your Kindle have bluetooth enabled when you set it on the treadmill? Weird.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
The cat was on the treadmill? Yow!!! What did his face look like?
Impossible to determine as the whoosh was quite fast! The previous day, he did the same thing, but behind me, so all I got was a bit of ruckus as he was catapulted (pun intended) off the end of the machine and he took off running in embarrassment to the bathroom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Allison, Becky, I love to read on cardio machines. I have a good gauge of how much cardio I'm doing on the machines by how often I have to visit the library. There are clear plastic book holders like this that fit over most cardio screens that keep your book or reader secure. So worth it! Allison, did your Kindle have bluetooth enabled when you set it on the treadmill? Weird.
Hmmm, not sure that the kindle has bluetooth. I know the wifi was turned off. I usually have nothing extraneous turned on so that the battery lasts longer. There's nothing worse than being deep in a chapter and have the low battery warning boop go off!

``•Allison•``

Old 06-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #22

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Thanks everyone for the b-day wishes!

I usually can eat massive amounts of food without having a sugar crash, but I think that's what is going on today. I feel groggy and pissy - not a good combo!

And the scale was up - wait for it - 7 freaking pounds this morning!

Been 100% on plan so far today and am having salad with turkey breast on it for dinner tonight. I'm in a :NOT FAIR - I want to eat like a pig and not have any consequences" mood.

Jen

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try I'll never know!" ~ Wicked ~

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said 'I just don't care!'" ~ Pink ~

http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/

My goal reached thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ncers-say.html
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #23

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default schadenfreude

Saw the aggressive belgian sheperd who almost took out my eye dump her owner on her *** this morning. Over a concrete traffic pole no less! Chortled with glee and then looked over and saw her other dog standing there patiently, head lowered slightly and tail tip wagging, waiting like the good dog she is for her owner to get up and collect herself. I felt so sad that this good old dog has to endure this sort of sh*t day to day. Felt like swooping out of my car, grabbing the good old girl, and driving away with her. Then I just drove away.

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #24
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

I've been working our catering office this week and am worn flat out. Also planning a gigantic baby shower for Saturday. We invited 69 people. I'm figuring 40 will show. And lamenting the fact that none of the other friends wanted to help with this behemoth. I have been great with food this week, though.

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #25

Shannon~that's a HUGE baby shower! Wow. Good luck!

Sorry for the weight issues, Jen. But I can totally understand. A month ago I decided I needed to really get into this loss thing again (even though I've been trying for over a year). Four weeks later, I've gained 2 pounds. Every morning I weigh higher despite my best attempts. While I did skip my workout yesterday due to a late arrival at home and no time before getting dinner going, I have already decided to go home early today and not only do my workout, but I'm going to add at least 20 minutes of HIIT either on the elliptical or the treadmill (thinking it'll be a bit easier on the elliptical).

Meanwhile, DH and I have gotten back into our DVDs of Breaking Bad. We finished season 3 Monday night and we're about half way through with season 4 (four episodes last night--stayed up past my bedtime!). And I just ordered the first half DVD of season 5 (the second half starts in August--right after we return from vacation).

``•Allison•``

Old 06-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #26

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Down 3 of the 7 pounds this morning and have been drinking water like a maniac to flush my system.

Feeling better today, both mentally and physically.

Your story Dagmar, about the Belgian Shepherd made me laugh and also made me so sad.

I don't normally run on Wednesdays, but today is National Running Day, so I decided to run today rather then tomorrow. I went my normal route and all of a sudden 4 dogs that I have never seen before went after a guy walking his Rat Terrier. Fortunately there was a lot of yapping and barking, but no fights. I ran around the whole thing and about .25 later, as I just about forgotten about it, this 4-5 month old Dalmation was under my feet. I almost went a$$ over tea-kettle but was able to regain my footing after (accidentally of course) kicking the poor dalmation in the side. I'm not sure who stood there more shocked - me or the dog!!

Allison, DH and I also watch Breaking Bad on DVD. Last season's ending (NO SPOILERS) was literally the first time in my life that I started screaming out loud at the TV and rewound and watched it at least 6-7 times. What an incredibly awesome show!!!!

Jen

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try I'll never know!" ~ Wicked ~

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said 'I just don't care!'" ~ Pink ~

http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/

My goal reached thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ncers-say.html
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
Allison, DH and I also watch Breaking Bad on DVD. Last season's ending (NO SPOILERS) was literally the first time in my life that I started screaming out loud at the TV and rewound and watched it at least 6-7 times. What an incredibly awesome show!!!!

Jen
Oh, wow! I can't wait! We should get the DVD on Friday. I think we'll finish season 4 tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

``•Allison•``

Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #28
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)156/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Jen, belated happy birthday wishes to you ... and you are a better woman than I am because you were able to face an unfair 7-lb overnight gain without becoming suicidal. I know that would make me feel like giving up utterly, and I'd be in danger of a relapse. But you got back on track, continued with your good habits, and dropped more than half of it, again overnight. Now that is what maintenance is all about.

I had six meetings in CT yesterday ... yes, six ... and had to publish two documents quickly. At the end of the day I sat there, feeling a little shell-shocked, scrolling through eBay compulsively, with my mind shut off. I did that for nearly an hour. Had to make myself get up and leave at nearly 6 PM. Stopped at the grocery store but fortunately bought only what I'd written on my list. Ate dinner and then was in severe danger of bingeing. So I went to bed with a David Sedaris book. I still had a restless night.

Today, unsurprisingly, even after a morning session on the elliptical, I still feel not quite tip-top, in spite of this ravishing weather of sunshine and coolness. I can't believe how much a day like that seems to take out of me. This time it feels like I'm paying attention.

This week is all about paying attention, trying to be mindful. I know I can't live like that forever, but I'm seeing whether being more aware helps.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #29

Happy birthday Jen! And BTW I saw the new Star Trek (I've seen them all) in IMAX 3-D; my only complaint was that this volume was so high it made my ears ring. That actually means hearing damage. Wish I had known, I could have brought earplugs.

I've been overwhelmed with work preparing for my opera premiere in New York and then post-production presentations. Wow. Now I have time to post here again!

To summarize my first winter as a maintainer (and winters are when I always gain weight)... In my life I have lost 40 pounds twice, and 30+ pounds maybe three other times, including last year. Until this time, every time I would lose a lot of weight, I would gain it ALL back within a year. This time, with a lot of support from y'all, I lost 30 pounds, gained back ten over the winter, and am now easily in the process of losing that ten pounds. Not absolutely ideal, but way better than ever before.

Karen and I did a bike ride which was a 4200-foot ascent to the top of Independence Pass the day before the road opened for cars. Awesome views! A very tough ride. At the top, above timberline, there was six feet of snow and a paved road plowed right through the middle of it aqll (they use a lot of dynamite to open this road). I've done the bike ride before, always at the beginning of the summer because that's when it's before the road opens to cars for the season. That's also when I'm usually in my worst physical condition so it's extra-tough. This year it was a grunt but not nearly as hard to do, simply becauise I weigh 20 pounds less than when I did it last year! Now we are routinely biking up 1700-2600-foot ascents, several times a week. Them calories they is a burnin'!!! Not bad for two people about to turn 60. The only disappointment is that Karen got sciatica and can't take long hikes, but at least she can bike, amazingly enough.
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #30

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Wow ! Chris that is some bike ride. I haven't been on a bike in years.
I have some Asian neighbors, they either walk or ride bikes to get around. They also do not eat many sweets. Are they slim and trim ? You bet.....sigh.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.