Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Becky, praying that your grandma will have a full and complete recovery.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #17  
Workin' It

Wow Becky, 97 and they think she is even strong enough for hip replacement? That is awesome. I'm sending positive thoughts for you guys, hope she does well with whatever decision she makes.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Prayers for your Grandma Becky!

Dagmar-- are the AC units at your new house? Are you in already?

Great news!! My older dd was offered and accepted a teaching position yesterday. We are so relieved. They offered her the job after two phone interviews-- not even meeting her yet! It's in Katy (a suburb of Houston) which is where she wants to move. When we go there next week (she has to take the Texas test to teach there), instead of stressing and interviewing, she will get to go meet everyone at the school and then we can spend time looking at apartments, cars, the area, etc.

Great news for her so why did *I* want to celebrate by going out to eat?! I didn't, but that's always where my brain goes-- let's celebrate by eating a large fatty meal! Ugh.... it took all my will power to cook a healthy meal at home. And she's not even here (she's in Washington and I'm in California)...
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Michele, great news for your daughter ! I don't think it all surprising that you wanted to celebrate with food.....I would have thought a hot fudge sundae would be appropriate.....dream on !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #20  
Workin' It

Congrats to DD Michele! Woo!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #21  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Sending supportive thoughts for Becky's 97 year old grandmother. May the healing happen.

And super congrats for the job in Katy, Texas for Michele's DD. Love the thought of eating over any good news - don't know how many years it will be before I lose that desire.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #22  
Workin' It

I always want to eat over good news. And bad news. And middle of the road news. And no news. Etc....
Old 05-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I always want to eat over good news. And bad news. And middle of the road news. And no news. Etc....
This is so me. I always say that I'm an emotional eater. Doesn't matter the emotion-- good, bad, happy, sad....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #24  
Workin' It

I'm tired today. Tired tired tired.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #25  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
I have to admit, I'm kind of scratching my head about the wisdom of replacing parts on a 97-year old, but only because I had a conversation with this lady about the very same topic not long ago, and she found the idea ridiculous and wasteful. I hope she has changed her mind, although this particular family matriarch does so very rarely.
Oh, I like her already. In my family, after a woman reaches 80, she's allowed to say whatever she wants, whenever she wants, to whomever she wishes to say it to. It's one of the few things about aging that I'm looking forward to. Best wishes to her, Becky, and do forgive me for remarking on the family resemblance regarding the ability to calculate a cost/benefit analysis, even on personal stuff.

Michele, yes, I understand your wanting to eat. Seems to me that I like my emotions to remain within a certain range, like, practically flat-lining. Whenever they start zigging or zagging, whether it's up or down, elation or sorrow, I start to believe that putting something into my mouth is going to even them out. Maybe it's the meditative focus of chewing. Or the distraction of a piercingly strong taste. I don't know. But it's a relief to know that others feel the same way. I know you're a worrier, particularly on behalf of your daughters, and when the pressure valve is allowed some release, it must feel incredible.

BTW, I'm still thinking of that funny Bikram yoga story, the guy trying it out, suffering and putting his mat up on Craigslist. What fascinates me is that he thought he could smell peoples' most recent meals in their sweat. Is that true, Michele? I can imagine smelling asparagus or curry but I wondered about other stuff.

I ought to be at the local Zoning Board meeting tonight, silently sitting in a painfully hard oak pew for three hours while the matter of our flood wall comes up again. We first brought it to a hearing in February. Every month since, it's been dismissed and moved ahead. Now it's May and I've heard that it may be dismissed again. I can't stand it anymore. I didn't go. I know my neighbors will be reproachful, but I also know that my particular presence in the room will not make the vote go either way. Besides, a lawyer in the complex who was chatting with me the other day told me that no matter the decision, the losing side is likely to sue and once again bring matters to a standstill. Thus I'm here in my apartment, feeling stoic and resigned, and contemplating an early bedtime.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #26  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

Dagmar, you have visitation rights for the new house? Those 2 hours will fly by as you start making plans. I hope you enjoy this exciting time.

Michele, such great news about your daughter! And I too understand the impulse to use any emotional event as a reason to eat.

Becky, good luck to your grandmother.

saef, your flood wall saga sounds draining. It seems ridiculous that such things can take so long to get resolved. I think you've earned a pass - not everyone needs to go to every hearing.

Shannon, I'm tired today too. I'm actually thinking about going to bed. I've been trying to get to work early so I can leave a little early on Fridays, and that means getting up by 6:15 - which is oddly easy to do on Saturday when I want to get to the flower market, but much harder during the week.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #27  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

I sooo did not want to go to the gym today. DH saved me by offering to go with; we went from 7:30-8:30 (way later than I usually work out) and it wasn't the most vigorous activity I've ever done, but so much better than just sitting on the couch surfing the net for that hour (or worse, raiding the pantry).

Michele, what's in an acai bowl (acai berries, obviously, but what else)? Is it frozen? Where do you get them? I'm intrigued, although I don't think there's anything like that here in mid-Michigan.

Shannon, me too. Both on the tired, and the "anything is a good reason to eat" thing. Requires constant "mental surveillance" to correct the mindset.

Bill - I love watermelon too, and every other "red" fruit :>) Summer is great for that - almost makes up for the heat and humidity.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
BTW, I'm still thinking of that funny Bikram yoga story, the guy trying it out, suffering and putting his mat up on Craigslist. What fascinates me is that he thought he could smell peoples' most recent meals in their sweat. Is that true, Michele? I can imagine smelling asparagus or curry but I wondered about other stuff.
While I can't say that I smelled anything that anybody ate while at my one and only Bikram class, I did smell myself! They said not to wear perfume, so I didn't. No makeup either, which is a good thing--even mascara would have run all over the place! But I did wear anti-perspirant. Not a good idea. It basically melts the first 2 or 3 minutes and then the scent lingers. Not that it's a bad scent, but it was strong enough that someone could have pointed a finger at me stating I was wearing perfume!

My social calendar is clearing up and I can see blue sky ahead! What that means is I'll have more free-time to myself. I can do whatever I want on the weekends and I'm so looking forward to that! I bought that darn yoga DVD a couple months ago and I've watched it to get a base knowledge of what the poses should look like but I have yet to actually DO it. I want to do it! Soon!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Hey all!

Been at a training. The training material was good, but rather then hold it at a hotel meeting room, this one was in a large auditorium at a college and the seats were uncomfortable and restrictive to sit in ALL DAY.

I DO NOT travel well at all. I was tired and cranky and made some bad food choices. Even when I think I am doing well. We ate Monday night at Ruby Tuesdays - I got the salad bar. Good choice, huh? Not when you eat your BODY WEIGHT in sunflower seeds and croutons!

I did take our lunch break yesterday to run - felt sorry for myself as everyone else was eating in a nice air conditioned restaurant while I was in 86 degree heat in 90% humidity. BUT, I was Sooooo glad I did it!

Slept well last night - looking forward to being back in my normal routine today.

Becky - I hope everything goes well with your grandmother! My father-in-law is 94 and has needed a hip transplant, but they will not do it because he is considered too high risk for surgery. He is sharp as a tack and it is terrible to see his body fail him.

Sounds like a lot of great things are happening for maintainers and their families! We are long overdue, so high five everyone!!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #30  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Good news yet again - because Grandma has been very active all her life, there was plenty of good strong bone still present, and they were able to use a couple of rods and screws to put her back together. She will be back on her feet today (for a bit), and has already commented that she's looking forward to physical therapy. That's my gram! I am so incredibly blessed with fabulous genes from both sides ... and for my fellow 3FC'ers.

Michele, congrats to DD on winning the teaching position!

Andrea, I'm in mid-Michigan too (Fenton) - and am also curious about the acai bowl. Closest I've come to something like that is dark chocolate-covered acai berries, which are just a little too good to be able to keep around the house!

saef, yes, Grandma is a remarkable woman and epitomizes the "Queen Mother". As she ages, she is definitely loosening her filters on the things she says, and it does cause some serious friction at times. However, none of it is untrue and she remains extremely perceptive, making her a very interesting meal companion. There can be harsh but helpful lessons ... Best wishes for some sort of resolution on the flood wall. It seems that every important thing is being strangled by somebody's need to be right; we are losing the art of compromise on major issues that could at least take us a step in the positive direction. Instead, we stagnate and nobody benefits.

dagmar, I love the concept of the visitation with your new house. Sounds like a great opportunity to take tons of "before" pictures!

shannon, I started falling asleep about 10am yesterday, after two nights of sub-par sleep. Last night was a little better, and hopefully tonight will be better yet. It is SO hard to function when tired - nothing works right! Hoping you're back on your game today!

Bought a new toy yesterday after running with my training group. It's called "The Stick" and I'm betting more than a few of the runners here already have one. Its purpose is to locate and destroy muscle knots, in a simple, painful, and highly effective way. I am determined to loosen my hamstrings!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote