3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintenance & cockiness do not go well together (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/279822-maintenance-cockiness-do-not-go-well-together.html)

lin43 04-17-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayzee (Post 4709182)
And now, I am extremely nervous about the summer. It's by far my "weak" time.

Interesting that you should say this. I think most people believe that summer is an easier time to lose weight because of all the fresh fruits/veggies around, more grilling, and more opportunities to get outside and move. However, I'm the same as you with summer being more challenging. I teach, so I have summers off, and that extra time makes me more focused on food. Also, ice-cream is one of my top five favorite desserts, and I obviously gravitate toward it more during the summer. I've decided, though, that I will think of some strategies to get me through; I won't succumb to more weight gain.

lin43 04-17-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by workingmom1008 (Post 4709166)
I'm starting my 5th year of maintainence & it's always been hard. I'm 5 ft 3 too & I'm only 4 lbs over my ideal weight of 134 but & it bums me out my favorite skinny size 6 black jeans are very snug. Thankfully I got down from my redline weight of 140 lbs - something I swore I'd never ever want to see on the scale ever again 5 years ago but it finally happened this year.

Since I reached my maintenance weight it's been very challenging - largely due to injuries (runner's knee, baker's cyst, ankle sprains, vertigo). Each time I've been injured I've had to adjust (e.g. stop running/start walking more, avoid my favorite lower body exercises like squats/lunges & find more knee friendly exercises, learn to eat better versus eating whatever I want & burning off the calories later). I've even had to adjust my maintenance weight upwards because my body just couldn't do all those high intensity workouts anymore since my injuries - a few pounds was just not worth it.

Now I'm battling tennis elbow so I can't lift weights - which was my favorite type of exercise & probably contributed to this injury. I went into a mini depression & ate more than I should've this past weekend. However, I woke up Monday & I asked myself what is the alternative? Gain back the 30 pounds I worked so hard to lose? I made an appointment with a sports therapist next week & went on-line to find some tennis elbow exercises to help relieve the pain until my appointment. I drank a lot of water (I was so thirsty from eating so much salt during the weekend) & ate a lot of fruits, veggies, & lean protein the rest of the day & I felt so much better about myself.

But I have become complacent too - I'm finally back on tracking calories on Fitday.com (something I stopped last year). Complacency sneaks up on you slowly. I used to have only 1 cheat meal on Saturday & Sunday but I then I also starting having one on Fridays too. I used to check the calorie count for restaurant meals so by the time I reached the restaurant I knew exactly what I would order & skip dessert. Now I realize I would just go to the restaurant & order whatever I wanted along with dessert.

However, I have a plan - I envision myself fitting back into my skinny black jeans & buying a nicely fitted top once I reach my goal. I'm aiming for the June at my daughter's birthday party surrounded by jealous relatives who have been waiting for me to gain back the weight for years - I'm determined to feel good about myself not to give them the satisfaction.

Sorry for the struggles you're having workingmom. I admire you, though, for pushing through. I have a tendency to give up when something doesn't go as I've planned. You're an inspiration!

Bayzee 04-17-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Interesting that you should say this. I think most people believe that summer is an easier time to lose weight because of all the fresh fruits/veggies around, more grilling, and more opportunities to get outside and move. However, I'm the same as you with summer being more challenging. I teach, so I have summers off, and that extra time makes me more focused on food. Also, ice-cream is one of my top five favorite desserts, and I obviously gravitate toward it more during the summer. I've decided, though, that I will think of some strategies to get me through; I won't succumb to more weight gain.
I have the summers off too. I love the summer because I typically shop a couple days at a time for fresh foods and make amazing recipes because I love to cook and finally have the time. I NEVER eat "brown bag lunch foods" in the summer. I'm so sick of them, I can't even stand them in the house.

With that however, comes the extra calories...apps, cocktails, desserts, baking etc....that I would not typically eat when I'm working. We entertain a lot outside in the summer as well, so there seems to be snacks galore in the house. Plus, we travel more, so we eat out or on the road more often than usual.

Oh...I can relate to the ice cream. I actually bought an ice cream maker so that I can master a healthy coconut ice cream that will actually taste delicious. It's my summer goal!

And who the heck can workout when they are well into happy hour? LOL!

I haven't figured out how I'm going to maintain this summer. I'm maintaining now because I'm watching closely during the week and letting go on the weekends. If I let go all week... the results from last summer will be the same. I know one thing...I have to workout first thing in the morning or I won't end up doing it. I'm still trying to figure out how I will manage calories.

Moving Forward 04-18-2013 12:43 AM

Oh boy. I just hit my goal weight this weekend and have NO idea what my plan is for maintaining. Like the last few posters, I also have summers off. I initially started my weight loss in September after porking up from my summer festivities. I am usually a planner and am able to execute what I plan. So far, I have not decided to start eating maintenance calories, mainly because I have no idea what that should be and I'm afraid to start gaining. I guess I have a little fear of failure going on here. Thanks for sharing all of your experiences, good and bad. Looks like I need to do some research here. Any advice would definitely be appreciated.

traveling michele 04-18-2013 10:17 AM

Congrats on hitting goal Moving Forward!! I'm also in the Bay Area. There is no harm in having a little fear IMHO. You can certainly keep eating your maintenance calories for awhile and see what happens. If you keep dropping lower than you would like, you can slowly increase them. Most of us have a "redline" or a weight you don't want to go over. Mine is 125. If I hit that, I focus more on restricting my calories, etc. This morning I was 127.6 so I'm definitely in that mode now. My "happy" weight is 118-120 but I haven't seen that lately. I was dismayed when I looked at my log for this time last year and saw that I was in my "happy" place. Maintaining is really trial and error. Make changes slowly. Stay focused. Keep coming here. Post often.

Moving Forward 04-18-2013 11:22 PM

Thanks traveling michele! That sounds like sound advice. It's nice to see a fellow Bay Area girl on here.

bargoo 04-19-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moving Forward (Post 4710642)
Oh boy. I just hit my goal weight this weekend and have NO idea what my plan is for maintaining. Like the last few posters, I also have summers off. I initially started my weight loss in September after porking up from my summer festivities. I am usually a planner and am able to execute what I plan. So far, I have not decided to start eating maintenance calories, mainly because I have no idea what that should be and I'm afraid to start gaining. I guess I have a little fear of failure going on here. Thanks for sharing all of your experiences, good and bad. Looks like I need to do some research here. Any advice would definitely be appreciated.

Welcome ! I lived in South Bay most of my life but moved a little farther North about a year and half ago.
Congratulations One thing on making goal ! I see you are a planner, I have found that planning is key in my diet, loss and maintaining. Learning what will work for you may take a little trial and error, there is no one plan fits all, Sorry ! One thing I do is weigh every day, if there any changes , up or down I want to know about it. Good luck !

lin43 04-19-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moving Forward (Post 4710642)

Congratulations on reaching your goal! When I reached my goal, I just kept adding in calories until I stopped losing (e.g., one week at 1700, next week at 1900, next 2100, etc.). Best wishes!