Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat May 6 - May 12

It was brilliant weather to be out in western Mass to climb one of small 'mountains.' Clear views in all directions. Wildflowers believing in spring. Not many birds in the air.

The best part about being out all day is that snacking is easily under control. I am so ready for summer.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Good Morning all!

I might be finalizing the deal on a house in the next couple of days - depends on how the building inspection goes and what my DH's boss (contractor) says about moving some stairs.

It's a detached house with a yard and parking. Beautiful garden all ready to go, deck with walk out from large living room, etc. And it's within walking distance to the subway - sorta.

There are positives and negatives and I'm hoping the positives outweigh the negatives. We shall see. I forsee lots of reno in the future but that's the only way we get to have a house with some space and privacy so we'll take it - I think!

We are also waiting to hear back about Mudpie's tests. She will probably need surgery and I hope she survives what's ahead. She is still a great cat, even @ almost 16. It would be very sad to lose her but I think she'll pull through this - she has the spirit of a bengal tiger!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Oh, sweet weekend, where have you flown, and why did you leave me so soon?

Dagmar, I'm remembering Fritz's last few days while reading about Mudpie, and wishing your cat the best and that the test results show something treatable. Also good luck on your house negotiations.

I'm hearing stuff about our Zoning Board variance request that depresses me to no end. You'll recall we submitted material on it in January. Since February, it's been repeatedly adjourned into the next month. One of my neighbors, a lawyer, says this signals the Board plans to reject it but wants us to give up & go away first, to avoid a confrontation which would look bad. She also says she feels that "the fix is in" because of local politicians that live in nearby neighborhoods and the historically dirty politics of the city that we live in. Also, if the variance is approved or not, either our lawyers or our neighbors' lawyers will sue afterward. All the other side wants to due is delay, delay, and they are winning because they have delayed us for more than four months.

This is a day with three meetings, the most difficult of which will happen about an hour from now. I'm anxious now, but I know, I'll be a different woman when it's over, having somehow gotten through a negotiation on behalf of one of my direct reports.

Last edited by saef; 05-06-2013 at 07:58 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #4  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning!

Congratulations on the house, Dagmar!

There are only a couple more weeks left in the school year, as I am reminded every day. Must cram it all in ...
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning!

There was an odd bird on the golf course this weekend. I tried to take a photo so someone could help identify it, but it flew away. Maybe it'll still be there next weekend.

We went to see Iron Man 3 yesterday. Such a fun and funny movie.

Great news on the house, Dagmar! I hope Mudpie will be okay. It's so hard when our pets ail.

Sorry about the zoning board problems Saef. We're experiencing some strange goings-on at the RV park where we own a lot. There seems to be a lot of infighting on the board between the old guard and the newbies on the board. It has caused resignations and other stuff. Normally during the summer we open our lot to renters and they handle it all in the front office. Now we're being told we'll have to find our own renters and the company that has been renting and selling in the front office for 16 years suddenly found their lease terminated with no warning. It really makes me mad, but not mad enough to run for a board position!

Tonight are the school awards for DS. We'll see how many he winds up with. He didn't make the top 10 in his class (knew he wouldn't--he's usually around #13). But we do know at least 5 of the top 10 kids! Graduation is just 3 weeks away, but AP tests this week and next will consume DS's time. Then it's time for all the senior fun--Disneyland, the beach trip, special meals.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Wishing you good thoughts all around Dagmar!!

And for those of us getting through the last weeks of school-- Hurrah! We're almost there!!

Dh came home yesterday but he leaves tomorrow morning to drive to Arizona to pick up dd from college. I was depressed when I figured out how little I'll actually see him this trip before he leaves again for China in less than two weeks. Sigh. Should be a challenging couple of weeks. We go up Friday (after work) for older dd's master's graduation. She is doing great in her weight loss efforts so we are going to try not to derail her with too many splurge meals while we're there.

Another busy week at work for me. I only have classes coming to the library for three more weeks, then I have to start preparing for inventory.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hi everyone,

I grossly overate all weekend (visited friends in NYC and ate bagels and burgers and the like) and drifted into "am I binging?" territory yesterday at a party. Going to focus on making choices that don't make me feel gross. I look forward to not feeling so oversalted my fingers can barely type.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #8  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone! I know I was here for a few weeks and then went MIA for, like, months. That's cause I totally fell off the wagon and went into a binging period and gained some of the weight back. Blah. But this nicer warmer weather is helping me get back on track! I'm still above where I need to be but I feel like I'm making much better strides and will get back down to my happy weight and finally figure this maintenance thing out!

I knew this part of my journey would be difficult but I was completely unprepared for HOW difficult!
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Tudor Rose, welcome back and good luck. You have done a great job and I am sure you will make it the rest of the way.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Tudor Rose-- welcome back....

Krampus-- hydrate and don't beat yourself up!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #11  
Workin' It

Dagmar - good thoughts on the house, and on Mudpie.

I'm thinking I'm finally recovered from the stomach mess I picked up from DH last week. It beat me down hard, him too. Both of us were pretty much worthless for close to 7 days. I still feel tired and bloated today, but have been mostly able to keep food down. I'm ready to feel rested and healthy again. I haven't exercised in over a week, and just don't have it in me today either. Had to get up at 5am to go teach a safety class to our catering drivers at a location over an hour away from my house, then had to drive back in morning rush hour traffic to volunteer at the charity golf tournament that my company co sponsors. In a great splash of irony, they relocated the tourney to a new golf club this year after 12 years in the old place that was about 40 minutes away from me. This year it was five miles from my house. SO. Of course I had to start the day with a 50 mile drive one way to teach and a 50 mile drive back within four hours to spend the day 5 miles from home. I'm worn out.

Had to punish DSS all weekend - four nights in a row he was at our house for the first time in months, grounded all four. Hit someone at school last week and got suspended.

Our annual Mother's Day luncheon was this past weekend, at a restaurant in the town where they film The Walking Dead. We saw the 'Woodbury Town Hall' and some other notable places, and had our choice of such pasta dishes as 'The Lori' and 'The Walker Stalker'. I don't watch the show, but my SIL who does was greatly entertained. I had a fried green tomato BLT for lunch and had my first ever pimento cheese, with Mississippi Mud Pie for dessert. All while wearing a prissy dress and drinking fancy soda with all the women I love in my life around me. I told my family that I finally feel appropriately Southern. I even drawled a little when I got home just for effect.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 05-06-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Sounds like a fun Mother's Day luncheon, Shannon! Sorry to hear about the continued trouble with DS. And I'm glad you're feeling better.

Tudor Rose~we all fall off the wagon from time to time. If you need help getting back on, check out the Maintainers Springing into Summer thread. It's for those of us that need that extra uumph to get back on track.

I'm so proud of my DS! Last night was the annual awards night at his school. While we knew he'd get high honor roll and the cords for 4 years in a subject with better than C grades, we got a couple unexpected surprises. The first was his inclusion in the National Honor Society. None of his friends got in! I think there were only 15 or so seniors that got that. Next was the Math Department award. One senior is chosen for department awards each year (Math, English, Foreign Language, Science, etc.--just 7 or 8 given). The Valedictorian got the science department award and one of DS's friends got Foreign Language and one other that I don't remember. I think the only thing he didn't get was to be one of the top 10 in his class. We think he's about #13.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #13  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I'm lurking; there just hasn't been much to report. My ticker's accurate, I'm on day 15 of alcohol-free (19 to go) - other than that, I simply have my head down and am focusing on making it to the end of June.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Allison, congratulations on your sons achievements , not only a smart boy but good parenting.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #15  
Workin' It

Congrats to DS, Allison! That is awesome!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote