Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

It's just great that this thread can talk about food at anytime and about shorts when we're all longing for warmth, LOL.

Me, too. I felt terrific walking to gym yesterday without warm-up pants over my gym shorts. Just like life oughta be.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #17  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I drank water with lemon wedges for part of yesterday, and thought of Megan and Michele -- until late in the day, when the water became Coke Zero with lemon wedges.

I'm at the office on a day when I usually work from home. This makes me grumpy, and worried about keeping to my workout ritual -- but I'm doing what's smartest politically, because there are a lot of onsite meetings at which I can meet and chat with people who I usually just speak with on the phone and through email.

My mother will depart from my apartment today to visit her sister in Pennsylvania. My mother arrived last Wednesday and fell upon my rooms and belongings with great spring cleaning zeal. When she's unhappy, she cleans furiously. Fritz's death led her to clean her house thoroughly. When she was done, she came to see me. I was looking forward to it, as I hadn't seen her since Christmas. But I wanted her to settle down. Impossible: She is unstoppable. Yesterday she was washing my outside windows. I wish she could just lounge with a coffee & the Sunday Times, but she is just not that kind of person.

It's still in the 30s here, so I'll wear long pants over my bike shorts on the way to spin class and weight training tonight. I can hear robins in the early morning darkness and see hyacinths poking out of the ground, but we feel a few weeks behind the season. Still I am starting to believe in spring.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #18  
Workin' It

Yesterday was lovely here, and today seems like it will be the same way. Now I need to find out when my tomato plants are going to ship!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #19  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Jen, I doubt you'll need any good luck for the surgeon's followup, but do tell us what he thinks of the belly button! Totally with you about "where the heck is spring?"

bargoo, hope everything went well for you yesterday and you weren't bored to tears!

Megan, I am very ready to get outside and start cleaning up the yard! I have two flower beds that need major rehab this year and I have to look at one of them every day from my dining room window. This weekend may be in the 50's - could be my turn to get dirty!

allison, I signed DS up for his last level of "intro" golf lessons. I am really hoping that all 3 of us can get out on the links a lot more this year. Re the See's chocolate, I bow down to your control.

michele, welcome back! Those extra lbs will be off soon, now that you're back to the routine. Will send positive thoughts for DD and the right job connection!

jessica, take a little comfort from knowing that you won't be at your hugest in the heat of the summer! Sounds like Carter's a sweet softie - I bet he's going to make a terrific doggy-brother to the babies.

saef, any chance your mom wants to come out and spend some time in Michigan? DH used to clean furiously whenever we'd get into a fight, but he seems to have gotten over that.

shannon, DH has 8 flats of seedlings going under the lights. Including 24 () tomato plants! He and DS planted two replacement cherry trees and 3 new grape vines over the weekend - in ground that's barely thawed! I hope they do okay ... we were all surprised that Stark shipped them so soon.

Cold but sunny here. According to the forecasts, the breaking point might be Thursday for the below-normal weather. Bring it!!!!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm so jealous of all of you with vegetable gardens. I did have a tomato plant this year, but the tomatoes were just meh. I had to keep it in the front yard to keep it away from Chico, and once he came out with me to check the mail and I caught him licking one of them! Today the last tomato was found on the kitchen floor (darn cats) with a split in it, so Chico got a treat.

Becky~I've never had a golf lesson myself and count myself lucky that I do as well as I do. This month and next DH and I are in charity golf scrambles with a friend's husband and son. I hope I don't embarrass myself!

saef~so funny about water with lemon. I will drink water with lemon if it is served to me (often in restaurants it is). My SIL won't drink water at all unless she can squeeze three or four wedges into it first--she always has to ask for a plate of lemons at restaurants.

Good luck to those of you looking for capris. I actually wore shorts to work yesterday but am back to pants because the office is really cold in the mornings. I was quite uncomfortable, but didn't want to turn on the heat as the temperature was supposed to get up in the 80's yesterday. I have decided that I can't wear white shorts to work like I did yesterday. Culley escaped twice into the warehouse and when he came back in he insisted on sitting in my lap so I ended up with dirty paw prints on my white shorts.

Tonight I'm baking two spaghetti squash and serving them with homemade marinara. A nice, healthy, low calorie dinner!

Last edited by alinnell; 04-02-2013 at 09:45 AM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Weight down a little.... gives me hope... but still so far from where I was....sigh....

Dd is putting all her eggs in one basket for one of her interviews today. It looks exactly like what she is looking for. Trying not to stress too much about it for her!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

saef Could you send your mother on north to Toronto when she's done with Becky's place in Michigan?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #23  
Workin' It

Becky - I tried seedlings this year and they failed miserably. I might build a stand with a grow light for next year.

My plants are shipping this week! Woo! Right in time for me to have no time to plant them with a full weekend of stuff planned. LOL

Allison - I can never wear white pants. Or black apparently. My gray/black/white cat seems to shed whatever color shows on whichever pants.

Saef - I wish I was a cleaner when I was stressed instead of an eater. Sorry about your disrupted schedule today, but it was probably a good idea for the face time for the meetings.

Michele - hope DD's interview goes well!

Dagmar - I've used Duluth Trading - if they ship to Canada they are fantastic.

Jessica - I suspect that you might spend a lot of the late summer and fall in whatever comfy clothes you can find. Pajamas sound great. LOL

Megan - I hate capris with a burning passion.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #24  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Michele, yes, we are expecting identical girls. We haven't quite finished picking out names yet but we're down to about 10 names to choose first and middle from, with three frontrunners for first names. We probably won't announce their names until they are actually born in any case.

Bill, reading your post makes me miss the days when I was in grad school and I walked to the gym on the way to or from school.

Saef, well, at least you got a clean apartment for free, right? My mom does dishes when she's at our house but that's about it. MIL has on occasion offered to send her housekeeper to our house. I can't help remembering the time that DH was shocked to learn that many people vacuum once a week, because he had no memories of vacuuming as a kid. Obviously, because he had a housekeeper to do it for him! We only vacuum once every month or two. I am a terrible housekeeper. I've been noticing lately how dusty our window treatments are, but the idea of doing anything about it is overwhelming and I don't really care that much.

Becky, sounds like your DH and DS have spring fever for gardening! DH used to be super-into gardening but had a couple years of disappointing yields and decided it was too much work. Plus, the room that he grew seedlings and houseplants in has been turned into our nursery. I suggested to MIL that if she wants to help out around our house once the babies are born that she could do our yardwork (she is also big into gardening).

My best luck with capris has been in the petites section of Ann Taylor Loft. Non-petite capris are just too long for my short legs and end up looking more like I bought pants that were a couple inches too short. You can't really hem them up because then the proportions are wrong.

My dog's fur shows on black and on white, but I never wear white pants in any case. I've avoided them ever since a somewhat traumatic incident with white pants and unexpected TOM when I was 12. I occasionally will wear a white skirt but they get dirty so quickly it doesn't seem worth the bother.

My coworker has a candy dish that has been empty for months and therefore not tempting. Today he's filled it up with leftover easter candy. Too bad I have to walk by it to get to the fridge and the water fountain.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #25  
Workin' It

Paid off a credit card today, my eighth since September. I need to keep telling people every month as I make progress so I continue to feel warm and fuzzy about it. Like posting an exercise log. LOL
Old 04-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Paid off a credit card today, my eighth since September. I need to keep telling people every month as I make progress so I continue to feel warm and fuzzy about it. Like posting an exercise log. LOL
Paying off debt is so freeing, don't you think? It just feels so good to not be under a pile of debt.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #27  
Workin' It

Allison - I have until November 2014 until I'll be totally free, but every month feels just a little lighter. It was jarring when I really put together how much I was paying in minimum payments and accruing in interest each month.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Allison - I have until November 2014 until I'll be totally free, but every month feels just a little lighter. It was jarring when I really put together how much I was paying in minimum payments and accruing in interest each month.
Congrats Shannon. Years ago we had accrued tons of credit card debt. We had great credit and could pay the bills, but we were getting further and further into debt. Once we paid them off, we only charge per month what we can pay off. We use a debit card and AmEx so that makes it easier not to let the bills pile up.

Dd's interview went well. They would like her to come back later in the week to see the classroom, meet other people, etc. Crossing fingers!!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #29  

I rarely use any card but my American Express (for both personal and business). There are a few places that don't take AmEx, so I have a MC for work and another for personal, but of course those two don't get used very much and they're always paid in full each month. I get points for AmEx and use the points at Amazon so I get a lot of free stuff that way! One thing that I don't really like is that AmEx (personal--not business) does allow you to carry a balance. I have to pay good attention when I pay that bill because the default payment on that is the "minimum" rather than "balance." I found that one out the hard way once!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I'm back from the surgeon's. It went really well. He said that everything looks fantastic and that he doesn't need to see me again. It's weird. I met him a year ago, but he was such a huge part of this transformation that it actually feels strange to think I might never see him again.

When he first saw my piercing, he made a face, but then I realized he was unhappy about the belly button itself - the man is a TOTAL perfectionist, so he is not thrilled that the belly button turned out so bad.

He kept saying how "tiny" I am and said "look at those abs" which was embarrassing in a flattering way. And then he pulled out the GIANORMOUS photos of my "before" pics and kept shaking his head and saying "LOOKS AT THAT!" I was like "Trust me! I remember!"

He said that he thinks my arms look great and he doesn't know that he would ever want to remove the skin there, but he pulled on the skin on my thighs and I could see how much better they would look if I got the skin removed there. But I can't justify the expense for those babies as it really would be cosmetic. The skin on my stomach was a functional problem.

He also has been kind enough to laser my large port wine birthmark for FREE! So he lasered it again today and this should be the last treatment and it will be GONE!

It looks horrible when it is first lasered!

Jen

Last edited by CherryPie99; 04-02-2013 at 06:09 PM.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote