Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #61  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Good morning! Glad to see people are sticking their heads in.

I'm up about an hour earlier than usual because I have some things going on tonight and this is my only chance to work out. My early morning workouts are never the best, but they get done.

This weekend I'm heading out of town to see my family - parents, sister, and her husband and two boys - and my mom wants to go to a hibachi grill all together. That should be fun, but I know it will be a calorie bomb. I won't eat the rice, just chicken and veggies without the sauce. I haven't been to a hibachi in years so I'm not going to stress about it, plus my nephews (who are 6 and 9) should love it, so I'll try to be more interested in the entertainment factor.

OK, I've delayed my DVD long enough. Off to let a perky blond woman yell at me for 30 minutes.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I hate those perky blonde women who yell at you this early in the morning! I can handle it in the afternoon or evening, though!

Anyone recommend a good yoga DVD?

I lost weight! I made a salad for dinner last night--organic baby greens, leftover rotisserie chicken and some golden raisins, glazed pecans and gorgonzola cheese. Quite yummy. I think that will be a staple at least one night a week this spring and summer. And I love that Costco's rotisserie chickens are bigger and less expensive than the grocery store. I'll buy two this weekend.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Yummy Allison! That sounds delish. I've never tried the Costco chickens... hmmmm....

My scale whoosh the other day boomeranged back. Oh well. I think my tummy issues have resolved though, so that's good.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #64  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Sigh...

It sounds like a few others may be in my boat - the "does the scale actually say THAT???" ship of horror. I was going to face the music and get a ticker that actually says it. But I can't do it. So I will quietly say it here.
(146)

It is the most I have weighed in six months.

Oh well, I am alive, somewhat healthy, and my sources of stress are things like my job, that other people might be glad to have. Until they actually started here!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #65  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
Sigh...

It sounds like a few others may be in my boat - the "does the scale actually say THAT???" ship of horror. I was going to face the music and get a ticker that actually says it. But I can't do it. So I will quietly say it here.
(146)

It is the most I have weighed in six months.

Oh well, I am alive, somewhat healthy, and my sources of stress are things like my job, that other people might be glad to have. Until they actually started here!
Oh, hugs! It'll get better, really it will.

But if you're saying it, so will I.
(156)

Ugh.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I hate those perky blonde women who yell at you this early in the morning! I can handle it in the afternoon or evening, though!

Anyone recommend a good yoga DVD?

I lost weight! I made a salad for dinner last night--organic baby greens, leftover rotisserie chicken and some golden raisins, glazed pecans and gorgonzola cheese. Quite yummy. I think that will be a staple at least one night a week this spring and summer. And I love that Costco's rotisserie chickens are bigger and less expensive than the grocery store. I'll buy two this weekend.

Rodney Yee has fantastic Yoga DVD's for all levels - I have 3 so far!!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #67  
Workin' It

JayZ, I have a ticker but am above it. So I'll say it with you and Allison.
(146)

Jen - I'll be exercising at 6:30 tomorrow morning. With a perky computer voice yelling at me to move my butt. Woo.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #68  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Jen, I consider hibachi food a bit hight in salt but usually very reasonable calorie-wise. Ours gives teeny, 2/3 c. bowls of rice with the huge portions of stir-fried veggies and about 6 oz of chicken or beef. Even with a tbsp or two of oil, I think the food comes out to way less than 600 cal. for dinner. Just sayin' you may have nothing to feel guilty about (unless you down 2 cocktails before dinner :>))

As for me, I'm back from Seattle. Got in a couple of good runs and I did some body-weight training as well. Since I also passed up most of the many indulgences my family consumed, I didn't gain any weight though by all rights I should have lost some. I'm beginning to think 126 is my new normal, which is absolutely unacceptable.

In Seattle, I took the kids to the local science museum, where they had a big exhibit on healthy habits, including diet and exercise. I was impressed how detailed the information was, and what a child-friendly format it was presented in. For example, plasticized kid-friendly food (a serving of spaghetti and tomato sauce; a glass of chocolate milk; whole fruit, etc) shown on both small serving-ware and big plates/bowls/glasses to demonstrate how easy it is to fool yourself into thinking you're eating less than you are if the plate is oversize. Or a trampoline that you can bounce on, which weighs you, counts your bounces and tells you how many calories you've burned, then translates the calories into fractions of a slice of pizza. They even had a section on how important it is to get enough sleep, with a short video of 2 kids sitting in a grade-school classroom, one of whom is drooping forward in his chair not paying attention and the other is enthusiastically learning about the solar system. My oldest DS, after wandering around for about 20 min. said "mom, how did you send them all your propaganda"? Gotta love those smart-alecky teens.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Andrea-- LOL at your son's comments! How old is he?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #70  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Kudos for that science museum in Seattle for backing up your "propaganda." LMAO at your "smart-alecky teen," Andrea.

My goal lately is to stop the minor over-eating at special occasions. I allow myself to indulge when encountering 'rare and unusual' foods - so I won't feel denied. Naturally, I use all trillion neurons to define more and more foods as such. Last night I passed on baked Camembert at a reception. I need a few thousand calories more of diligence.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #71  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Allison - I'll need to check out those rotisserie chickens next time I'm at Costco. I could freeze some in portions and use for my lunches at work. I like that idea.

Andrea - Thanks for the info about the hibachi! I would probably avoid the rice altogether anyway, so it seems doable. I did find out that I could order from the sushi menu, so I may play it by ear - do I feel more like hibachi or more like a rainbow roll?

Jen - I've seen the Rodney Yee DVDs and appreciate your recommendation. Does he give enough instruction for a yoga newbie?

Shannon - I exercised this morning, too, and only wanted to punch the instructor in the face once or twice.

Here's a funny image for you all - a little gift for your Friday. I did strength training on Wednesday and this morning my left glute is considerably more sore than my right. All I can think is that I definitely need to make sure this doesn't happen again or I will be sitting lopsided for the rest of my life.

Have a great Friday, everyone!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMusic View Post
Jen - I've seen the Rodney Yee DVDs and appreciate your recommendation. Does he give enough instruction for a yoga newbie?
I think so! Although so much of Yoga involves facing down or in other positions not designed to be looking at a TV screen, you might have to stand up and watch some stuff before actually trying it!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #73  
Workin' It

JenM - Rodney Yee is fantastic - some are more advanced without as much instruction, but many are beginner to intermediate with lots of info. I also like Tom Morley from exercisetv.tv and Jason Crandall from Yoga Journal. I have only been able to find their stuff on podcast, but it is out there.

Andrea - DS's comment made me snicker.

Bill - passing up the Camembert was a good call. It is that type of snacking that kills me, when I don't think about how much I'm eating because it is small and sometimes on a cracker.

Allison - I have never had the rotisserie chicken from Costco, I need to check that out.

I stayed up after getting breakfast and lunch ready for DSS and exercised. 25 minutes with my barbell, 15 minutes of hard kickboxing and 30 minutes on the elliptical. I had that 'legs collapsing under me' feel when I got off the elliptical, which is nice. I'm so much more productive when I don't go back to sleep on the school mornings when we have DSS the night before and I have to get him ready and I'm on a streak of staying up and exercising now the last three weeks. We only typically have him one weeknight per week, though. I imagine that if he were with us more I would fall back into bed more often. LOL
Old 04-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #74  

Thanks Jen! I have Rodney Yee's Yoga for Beginners on order from Amazon!

Weight is slowly going down. But at least it is going down!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #75  
Workin' It

My weight is very stubbornly not moving. For weeks. Even with better diet and exercise. Bah.
Closed Thread