Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #31  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Woot Woot for that house sale, Dagmar. That's FAST!!!

Two days of above freezing temps have reduced the snow problems a bit. But the mounds remain so that another storm would be a major issue.

My goal now is to remember that snacking every hour between shoveling isn't valid when not shoveling, LOL.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Jacksonville, here are additional facts re : DS moving to Florida. Tax Breaks ! Florida has no State Income Tax. It is warmer in Florida, DIL is freezing to death in California. Housing is cheaper.No problem job wise as he is self employed as long as he has a computer he's good. The change in time zone will be a benefit for him.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Congratulations on the sale of the house, Dagmar!

bargoo, yes Florida is warmer than up there in California, but it is also humid. I prefer the desert heat. And yes, housing is much cheaper.

Off to work to do more moving. We got huge equipment moved yesterday as well as three empty desks (we have 8 desks in all and are keeping only the four best as that's all we have room for). We'll have to consolidate a lot of stuff or build more storage in the small warehouse. Cully was rather concerned yesterday watching stuff move out the front door where his carrier resides. He came in to inspect the fact that "his" desk was gone (when I'm not there with the dogs, he comes in and likes to sit in the chair at that front desk!). I also need to direct FIL to go to Home Depot and purchase some cabinets and get them installed for where we'll place our copier and fax machine. Right now it's just a blank wall and we need a good cabinet there. So much to do!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #34  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

CONGRATS, Dagmar!!! Check that one off your list!

to everyone - I've been lurking while I get rid of this cold/flu/whatever bug. I'm really annoyed that it caught me, and now I'm sulking. I will be back when I'm over myself.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Congrats on the house Dagmar!! That's awesome!!

Bargoo-- are you slightly happier about their decision now, or do you still feel it is a mistake? We are definitely not planning on retiring in California-- the taxes are killing us....

My weight is down ever so slightly today but I'm still quite sore. My exercise will be a little different today most likely so I hope it all works out. I usually go to yoga at 4:30 but I have a work meeting that will last till about then. So, my plan is to come home briefly to take care of the dogs, and then go to the late yoga-- it is from 6:30-8:00-- my issue with late yoga is trying to figure out what/when to eat dinner. So, I'll likely have an extra snack before and a very small dinner after unless I'm starving.

So glad it looks like the ordeal with the cop killer in California is over.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Congratulations on the sale of the house, Dagmar!

bargoo, yes Florida is warmer than up there in California, but it is also humid. I prefer!
Oh, yes I am aware of the humidity. My cousin moved to Florida, I said "Isn't it buggy and muggy?" She said "Yes , but I don't mind it".
I was at a show in Las Vegas one time, Las Vegas is desert and hot but dry. At the show I was sitting next to two ladies from New Orleans, they were going on and on about Las Vegas weather,"OMG, it is so dry my skin is drying up like a prune." I prefer the hot and dry over hot and humid., myself.
Michele, not sure how I feel about the move. DS said he would prefer Mountain View or Sunnyvale, Ca right in the heart of Silicon Valley and sooo expensive. I still live in California, I am in a college town (UC Davis) and it is not cheap either. California is expensive no matter where you live. I don't plan on living anyplace else, though, but I will visit Florida.

Last edited by bargoo; 02-13-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #37  
Chuggin' along...

Here is a Floridian who hates the heat & humidity. It is true we have no state income tax. Bargoo, I will say that the Jacksonville airport is a pretty big hub and you can find fairly cheap flight into/out of it relative to smaller airports. It should be easy for you to visit. Jacksonville Beach & St. Augustine are lovely, too.

Michele, my yoga class is 5:30-7:00, and I don't get home until 7:30, so I also have an awkward meal time. I usually do as you suggested, have a snack before I go to class and have dinner ready to go immediately afterwards. I'm trying to get a friend to come to class with me tonight. I saw her Monday and she said she needs to relax and unwind, and has been trying to do yoga 2x per week. I told her, "great! I'll pick you up at 5:00 on Wednesday!"

Becky, I hope you heal quickly.

Dagmar, what a relief! I hope all goes well with the closing. for your furry friend.

Krampus, sounds like a great vacation! Glad you enjoyed it!

Steph, sorry about the job front. That's really frustrating you haven't heard much. Hang in there.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #38  

Funny the things you find when you're going through stuff. I found a stash of keys. All with tags marked "file cabinet" or "new file cabinet" or "lateral file". Funny how NONE of them fit any of the file cabinets we have!

I also found some mono-color laser print cartridges for a laser printer. We've never had a laser printer. And legal sized hanging file folders and legal sized printer paper. We utilize standard size stuff--not legal! I did find a home for those things with the office next door who were happy beneficiaries.

As for hot and dry vs hot and humid: I really prefer mild and slightly humid--aka Hawaii! I appreciate not having to wear moisturizing lotion and like the more normal temperatures. The extremes we have to endure here are not that fun.

bargoo~my DS applied to UC Davis (he hasn't heard yet). I asked him why Davis as it is my understanding that they're best knows for veterinarian training rather than computer science which he wants. His #1 is still Berkeley (he hasn't heard on that one, either).

In other news, DD's boyfriend left on Monday for his 10 weeks of basic training in Jackson, South Carolina. Of course he doesn't know where he'll be stationed after that, but his MOS is cryptology. Hopefully it'll be a job that keeps him in the US rather than being shipped overseas. DD is coming home in about 3 weeks or so. I'm hoping she holds up.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #39  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Dagmar, congrats on the house sale! That was really fast! My MIL is still trying to sell DH's grandma's house and it's been months. Sorry about your lab friend.

Having grown up in SoCal and then lived in RI and IN, I have mixed feelings about dry vs. moist heat. On the one hand, I really hate that sticky sweltering feeling when it's hot and humid and you have to put on sunscreen but it just drips down your face. I also hate having to use bug repellent. On the other hand, since moving away from CA I no longer have cracked, dry skin and lips. Also, the number of sweltering days during the summer here is far fewer than the number of 100+ sunny days back in LA. I get far fewer sunburns here (and I do use sunblock regularly in summer no matter where I live), and I appreciate being able to go do outdoor stuff in the middle of the afternoon in August. Back at my parents' house if you want to do anything outdoors in summer you have to do it before 9am or after sunset, otherwise it's just too hot.

They live inland a bit though -- it is much nicer on the coast in SoCal. Probably why it costs $$$$$$$$ to live on the coast!

Allison, that is funny about the filing cabinet. I think Davis is probably decent for CS, one of my friends went to grad school there. When I was applying to colleges for CS the UC's I picked were Berkeley and San Diego (I didn't go to either of them though).

Becky, I hope you feel better soon!

DH and I went to our first childbirth prep class Monday night. The instructor and the other students seemed nice enough. I'm not entirely sure about relaxation practice -- the key point seems to be "find a comfortable position" and then relax, and there is basically no position that is comfortable for me at this point. I also thought it was funny that to visualize a safe and relaxing place, her examples were like "the beach" or "the mountains" or something like that. DH and I both thought of Carter's doggie bed by our back door where the sun shines in. That dog has the right idea, it's the nicest spot in our house!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #40  

[quote=alinnell;4631903

bargoo~my DS applied to UC Davis (he hasn't heard yet). I asked him why Davis as it is my understanding that they're best knows for veterinarian training rather than computer science which he wants. His #1 is still Berkeley (he hasn't heard on that one, either).

quote]
Read in the local paper that UC Davis has 70,000 applications for fall 2013. I believe that years back they were known mainly as an agricultural school. GO AGGIES ! That has changed over the years in addition to the ag school they have a school of medicine, a law school, a school of veterinary medicine in addition to others.
My brother is a grad of UC Berkeley as is my nephew. GO BEARS.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

OMG! I little girl just brought me a wrapped present. It was huge-- looked like a big board game. I thought that surely it can't be a box of chocolates. It is. A giant box of Russell Stover chocolates (30 ounces). I'm going to put it in the break room. It is 8:01. I'll see how long it lasts!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
DH and I both thought of Carter's doggie bed by our back door where the sun shines in. That dog has the right idea, it's the nicest spot in our house!
Jessica, I love that! I always envy my cat's ability to find the smallest bit of sunlight in the house, curl herself up and nap for hours.

Michele, good thinking on taking the box to the break room.

Allison, that's funny about all the keys. And I'm with you on Hawaii--the perfect blend of heat and humidity. At least in the winter when I go there. I wonder how it is in the summer?

I grew up in Seattle and lived most of my life in the Northwest. My sister and I had facials in Santa Fe a few years ago, and the first thing the aesthetician said was "you're not from around here, are you?" When I moved to Idaho, the skin on my elbows and feet started cracking, and my face felt like all the moisture was being sucked out. Now I slather on moisturizers twice a day. But I still prefer doing that to living anywhere on the East Coast in the summer!

Happy Valentine's Day!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #43  

Sheila, the only times I've been to Hawaii have been in the summer. Although I know it can get hotter, we've been there over the 4th of July and temperatures were mid 70's to mid 80's which is perfection in my book!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #44  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
OMG! I little girl just brought me a wrapped present. It was huge-- looked like a big board game. I thought that surely it can't be a box of chocolates. It is. A giant box of Russell Stover chocolates (30 ounces). I'm going to put it in the break room. It is 8:01. I'll see how long it lasts!
well? Did it make it until noon? Or were there some left with a bite taken out and then put back?
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #45  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I'm in a good mood bc I had a really good day at work! Today I worked with some school groups at the art show I mentioned last Friday, doing science outreach for them and relating it to the art. I don't have any teaching experience so didn't know what to expect, but the pessimist in me was worried. It was actually quite fun! And the K and pre-K groups that I was most worried about making this relatable to were really fun and asked the best questions.

Jessica, I guess "to each their own" for comfortable spots. Dogs and cats are good at finding them. My dog loves soft things like the couches, bed, blankets, and also loves basking on the porch in the sun. Sounds good to me.

Alison, I love/hate it when one moves and finds all types of random stuff. There are the things you've been looking for, the things you don't need anymore and forgot you had, and the worst, the things you aren't sure what are, but don't want to get rid of them in case they are important.

Michele, good for you for giving up the chocolate. How long did it last?

Happy Valentine's Day all.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote