3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers Weekly Chat Feb 4 - Feb 10

Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #46
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Saef - that sounds fantastic to me, I've not used many of the Indian spices, though I own them. And the chopping is the longest part. That is what I'm hoping to avoid by prebagging all of these meals - one day given over to chopping and prepping to save time later. I got the idea from a blog post on mamaandbabylove, though I didn't use her recipes.

Jessica - my beef stew recipe says to brown the meat and onion first but I don't do that. Never noticed the difference. I don't like to have to add things in the middle - I need it to go in, cook for nine hours and then be done. LOL

Allison - I never ate beef stew as a child so don't know the flavor, but DH says the one we've come up with makes him think of his grandmother's. We add red wine (two buck chuck usually), potato flakes for thickening, worchestishire sauce and lots of black pepper. And some allspice, which made more of a difference than I expected. A few other spices, but those were the main ones. Thyme, bay leaf, a little ginger. More black pepper.

I'm interested to see how the browning works in this pot though - supposedly I can brown right in the pot and then switch to slow cook.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL : 02-06-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #47
Eat Big to Stay Small

S/C/G: 160+/116/114

Height: 5'5

We decided to splurge on a hotel for the last night in KW after two nights of tent camping - we are going to stay at The Inn at Key West - that POOL! Now I'm even more excited, esp given I'm watching snow fall out my window at work...

Shannon, you should host a Maintainers Slow Cooker dinner party!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/krampus

Last edited by krampus : 02-06-2013 at 12:09 PM.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #48
Maintaining

I'm going to need to host that dinner party at that hotel, Krampus! That pool looks lovely. I have sunshine outside my window rather than snow, but it still makes me dream of the beach.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #49
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Sorry, but this gave me pause: Your boyfriend put ranch dressing on top of the shrimp creole?

Why?

(Maybe I should be glad it wasn't ketchup?)

Somewhere Paul Prudhomme is quietly weeping, just one single lingering tear, like the Native American chief in the 1970s anti-pollution commercial.
Oh, Saef, you have no idea. The man loves ranch and srirachi. He puts them on EVERYTHING. I'm actually so used to it I didn't even bat an eyelash at adding it to the shrimp creole until you pointed it out. I get so irritated sometimes when I've cooked a really delicious somewhat gourmet meal (IMHO, naturally) and he puts ranch on without even tasting it first. Yes, I have flipped out on him occasionally. He does eat whatever I choose feed him without complaint (he just might put ranch or srirachi on it), or if I don't feed him, he also doesn't complain. I've trained him to eat "exotic" things like tofu and kale. And he doesn't put ranch on the kale. He is surprisingly not a big ketchup fan, though. So I just deal... the things we do for love.

Krampus, gorgeous pool! You'll have a great time!

Jen, beautiful monarch picture!

Shannon, I'm going to hop in the car. I'll be there in about 6 hours. Enjoy your new slow cooker! I love your prep ahead foods. Sounds like you've got plenty of easy, delicious, and healthy meals ready to go.

Speaking of all of these slow cooker recipes, we do have a recipes sticky at the top of this forum. Anyone care to share? I'm always looking for new recipes. Hint, hint.

Last edited by Megan1982 : 02-06-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #50
Maintaining

Oh a sticky would be a great idea. I have a lot of slow cooker recipes I've used already with much success, and once I tweak these cut ahead and freeze ones I can post those as well. That would be awesome. We can share our healthy slow cooker recipes, as so many out on the web are not healthy at all. Can I start one or does a Mod need to do it?

Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #51
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

ooh, that inn looks gorgeous! Nice gym, too!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #52

S/C/G: 178/119/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Oh a sticky would be a great idea. I have a lot of slow cooker recipes I've used already with much success, and once I tweak these cut ahead and freeze ones I can post those as well. That would be awesome. We can share our healthy slow cooker recipes, as so many out on the web are not healthy at all. Can I start one or does a Mod need to do it?
Looking forward to these. I also like the recipes that you toss it all in the slow cooker in the morning, come home in the evening, and dinner is ready!

I was thinking that I would change my avatar to my picture since many of you do that. I started looking through all of my photos and found one I liked, but my computer got so bogged down trying to upload my photos, that it froze. I'll try from home later.

But.... looking through years of photos made me realize something. The extra pounds I have put on in the past year are very noticeable in the recent pictures. I much prefer the pictures from a few years ago. Everyone says they can't tell that I've gained a few pounds, but I could really tell in the pictures. Rather than be depressed about it, I've decided to be empowered to get back to looking like those photos.

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
183/365 workouts
155 bikram yogas

Last edited by traveling michele : 02-06-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: typo
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #53
No description available.

Maintenance Crock Pot Recipes

Ask and ye shall receive!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #54
Maintaining

Thanks, Midwife! We'll start filling that thread right up! Actually, I got my first crock pot recipe from you when you told me to put in chicken breasts and cover them with salsa and cook all day. I made that just last week (it was the dish that revealed the cracked crock....)

Last edited by Shannon in ATL : 02-06-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #55

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Midwife was one jump ahead of me , my suggestion was to post them on our own site so they are readily available. Midwife has taken care of that. Suggestions to other sites are good but may not always be available.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #56

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I have this darn cold that keeps beating me up. It has been really weird--never with any terrible symptoms, but it just won't go away. Yesterday I had a good day and I was really thinking it was on it's way out, but I woke up all stuffed up in the middle of the night. Stuffed up and runny at the same time. Weird. I couldn't sleep the rest of the night because I couldn't breathe and then all day today I've been sneezing despite taking pills that should curtail such activity.

I had intended on taking the dogs for a walk this afternoon as I was getting off of work early to take Chico in for a heart worm test. Instead I ended up on the couch with my Kindle and promptly fell asleep for about 15 minutes. So much for exercise.

So I'm getting ready to make dinner and I need something more than just water to drink and I reach for a glass of orange juice. I don't normally drink any juice, by the way. I finished the glass (about 10 ounces) and was immediately struck at how sickly sweet it was. Ewww, gross sweet. Yuck. And to think I used to drink this regularly (and my DS does daily). Usually I accompany it with equal amounts of champagne and then only on Christmas morning. I think I'll just remember that!

I'll see what I can come up with for crockpot recipes although I rarely use my crockpot. For whatever reason, I'm always afraid to leave it on in the house, so I tend to plug it in at the grill in my back yard!

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #57
11th year in maintenance

S/C/G: 285/172/170

Height: 5'11"

Hey everybody,

Been away for a while. First covered up with work, then traveling a bit to dodge some winter for my health. Now finally equipped with a more dependable internet connection. Stayed on track through the holidays and have been ramping up the exercise as weather allows.

Used to love the slow cooker meals. We do the off-grid thing these days and can't leave a such a high load appliance plugged in for that long. The location of our home sort of demanded it. Is there any love for the pressure cooker? We use one a lot to speed-cook a soup or stew, or sometimes just a chicken. Anybody have any good PC recipies to share?
JohnKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #58

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome back, John. My mother used a pressure cooker a lot, I had one but always felt like it was going to blow up. I have a crock pot but use it mostly for keeping things hot at potlucks and such, I am retired now so usually home all day, I don't use the crock pot much as I have this uncontrollable urge to take the lid off and stir, not a good thing with a crock pot. I did get a great suggestion, though. Use it at night, all night, I am pretty sure I won't get up in the middle of the night to peek and stir. There are a lot of good recipes on this forum , not necessarily for crock pot or pressure cooker. We have some great cooks on this forum.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #59
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/postpartum/135

Height: 5'4"

Allison, I wonder if your cold is related to the flu virus that's been running wild around here. It seems to last about a month when all is said and done, even though the worst symptoms are over in a week. Not everyone gets the bad symptoms either -- DH had a stuffy nose, cough, and headaches, I had all that plus a fever and laryngitis. I'm still sniffling and waking up at night with a sore throat and it's been weeks, though DH is fully recovered from his now.

It's possible that the leak in our upstairs shower wasn't a leak at all. We took off the shower caddy and cleaned out the shower head, and haven't seen any water this morning. DH is thinking maybe the clogged up shower head was just spraying in crazy directions, resulting in the water bouncing off the items in the shower caddy and running down the back side of the shower stall to get behind the trim at the floorboards. Since the back side of our shower just goes to our walk-in closet, we're considering cutting a hole in the wall anyway just to make sure and perhaps installing an access panel instead of closing it up again.

I admit, it's kind of frustrating to not know how to do this stuff. I mean, in general it wouldn't be, but the fact is that my dad knows how to do all this and used to do these kinds of home repairs a lot when I was a kid. I wish he would have had me watch and learn while he did it back then. I wonder if he'd had sons instead of daughters he would have taught them this kind of thing. (That's not to say I think he intentionally didn't because I'm a girl, more that I think it may not have occurred to him that I might want to learn.) It's also possible that when I was a kid he tried to get me to watch him do it and I wasn't interested, so who knows? Or he tried to get my sister interested and failed so didn't bother with me? (FWIW, I've always been pretty good at handyman-type tasks, whereas my sister is not.)

Last edited by paperclippy : 02-07-2013 at 08:40 AM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #60
Chuggin' along...

Thanks, midwife! I'm looking forward to everyone's healthy slow cooker recipes. I have a pea green slow cooker that's probably from the 1970's. It works ok, but would be nice if it had one of the inserts that comes out to store leftovers in the fridge or for easier washing. I told myself if I use it more often, I can ask for a new one for a birthday or Christmas. I'd like to get one of the programmable slow cooker/rice cooker combos so I could get rid of two appliances and replace them with one.

I have a recipe for no-soak slow cooker black bean soup I'll try to remember to post when I'm at home. Thanks for the thread, midwife!

My friend is hosting a "preservation party" in a few weeks. I think it's more geared towards preserving extra veggies or fruit from the garden, but the pressure cooker was mentioned. If I get any good meal ideas etc I'll share. Shannon, I'd love to see your freeze ahead slow cooker recipes. That would be right up my alley for when I'm extra busy involved in a theatre project, etc. I try to do a healthy food prep day every Sunday but my enthusiasm waxes and wanes. I've been better lately, but in the summer usually just hate cooking.

I'm in total agreeance re: extra steps for the slow cooker. I don't mind up to one extra step, like sauteing veggies first. More than that, why bother. It's a slow cooker, it's supposed to make life easier.

Alison, my dad drinks tons of OJ and must have it in whatever house he's staying in. I don't normally buy it, but am drawn to it when he's here/I'm there/etc. It is so, so sweet. I usually dilute with water (but I still want to drink it - like many sugary things, that's why I try not to bring them into my house). About once a year I want to make mimosas, and that's the only time I buy it for myself. I bought a few Publix light yogurt cups a few weeks ago and have found them sickeningly sweet, too. I still like sweet things so sometimes I forget this, but my tastes have changed in some ways.

Wardhog, I love your new picture!

John, welcome back!

Have a good Thursday, all.

Last edited by Megan1982 : 02-07-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.