3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers Weekly Chat Feb 4 - Feb 10

Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #31
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)157/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
This morning I went to put my lunch in my lunch bag. The tupperware felt lighter than when I packed it, and it looked like there was something whitish on my leftover shrimp creole from the outside. What? Sure enough, BF ate it last night (with Ranch - the whitish stuff) and I'm stuck with no time left to prep anything else and eating the same pork for lunch and for dinner today.
Sorry, but this gave me pause: Your boyfriend put ranch dressing on top of the shrimp creole?

Why?

(Maybe I should be glad it wasn't ketchup?)

Somewhere Paul Prudhomme is quietly weeping, just one single lingering tear, like the Native American chief in the 1970s anti-pollution commercial.

Last edited by saef : 02-05-2013 at 09:10 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #32

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Sorry, but this gave me pause: Your boyfriend put ranch dressing on top of the shrimp creole?

Why?

(Maybe I should be glad it wasn't ketchup?)

Somewhere Paul Prudhomme is quietly weeping, just one a single lingering tear, like the Native American chief in the 1970s anti-pollution commercial.
That made me laugh! But I feel your pain, Megan. That stuff bugs the heck out of me, too. Like the time my SIL and BIL came to visit last month while we were on vacation? My MIL had made spaghetti and there was a large portion leftover--enough for three dinners and perhaps more. We were all eating dinner Monday night and MIL suggested I forget about cooking one more day and reheat the spaghetti for Tuesday's dinner. I loved the idea! Just toss a salad. Yeah, until I went to heat it up and there was less than two servings left. Apparently they (my SIL & BIL) had it for breakfast. After HER own mother told US to eat it. UGH. The only saving grace was that it wasn't the best (not MY marinara!) and there was some leftover lasagna so we heated both and made do with extra salad.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #33
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 225/138/125

All this talk of birds..and I all I get at my feeder are sparrows (and squirrels). Oh, and a pair of cardinals that I love but I rarely see them, since they come at dawn and dusk. My sister moved to Jacksonville a few years ago (and likes it, bargoo) and bought a house with an array of bird feeders, so she and her husband have become avid bird watchers.

Krampus, enjoy Key West! I looked into going there a few years back but life intervened. It sounds like a fabulous place and I'd love to see the Hemingway cats.

Jen, I went to college in Montreal for a year and drove by Watertown to get home to Syracuse. I'll never forget driving into a blizzard coming down Route 81, thinking I was going to die. Seriously the worst driving experience of my life.

I had a good day today as far as eating and exercise went. No word on what I thought was my new job, though, so maybe that's not going to happen.

I'm off to watch House of Cards on Netflix. I'm trying to limit myself to only 2-3 episodes at a time and not binge watch it. It's quite good!

Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #34
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

After I bought a chest freezer and $400 in groceries to pack into slow cooker meals for it last week the crock in my crock pot developed a crack along the bottom and started to leak. In trying to get the crock replaced (pot was expensive and less than a year old) I got frustrated and bought a Cuisinart slow cooker with anodized steel cook pot. It came in yesterday and then tonight we went to a movie. I'm pretty desperate at this point to make a meal in it, so we are having something slow cooker tomorrow!

I packaged and froze multiple full meals for the slow cooker meat, veggies and spices all included. Will just add liquid and any grain at cook time. We made 6 beef stew, 2 beef and peppers, 3 vegetable soup, 1 chicken and vegetable soup with kale, 3 chicken and vegetable for adding quinoa or rice for stew, 3 chicken curry, 2 southwest chicken, 2diced chicken and onion, and 2 plain diced chicken. (found boneless, skinless breasts for $1.98/lb). We also froze three packs of bone in chicken breasts, probably 6 meals worth - $0.99/lb. I have a 7lb pork loin to slice into roasts as well. We went to three stores to shop the sales. I'm hoping to maximize sales and coupons and keep the freezer stocked - having something ready to go in the morning will save time, and will make it easier to exercise at the end of the day. Here's hoping the new cooker works - it is a fancy one. You can brown and steam in it as well. I'm excited.

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #35

S/C/G: 178/119/125

Height: 5'5"

Let us know how the new cooker works! I love the ease of coming home to a slow cooker meal.

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
183/365 workouts
155 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #36

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Let us know how the new cooker works! I love the ease of coming home to a slow cooker meal.
"Out in a blizzard running after dogs all day? Come home to the tantalizing smell of dinner already made. Just slice up a baugette and dinner's ready!"

That's my (rather uncreative) slow cooker ad. I LOVE my cooker and am constantly experimenting with what I throw in there. I've done beef roasts, pork roasts, stews, fish dishes, vegetarian, and they all were good! DH has laughed many times coming home to find me standing in front of the slow cooker, gazing at it with relief and .

I usually do my grains/potatoes/whatever seperately though. Don't they get awfully soggy if they're in there for 8 hours?

I'm sitting the Australians tonite and tomorrow night. I love the microwave too - though I don't think the food made in it is nearly as good as the SC stuff.

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #37

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Krampus - it is an incredibly small world, isn't it! What are the chances?

Saef - thanks for sharing that story with me. It doesn't matter how many times I have seen bald eagles there, they still take my breath away. Hoping to get down there for the spring migration this year. We typically get there mid-summer when there are not nearly as many birds to see. Although last year for some reason there were a TON of different butterflies and I got some fantastic pics.

Steph - Welcome to my world ALL. WINTER. LONG. Is there any wonder why I want to move??

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change but 'til I try I'll never know!" ~ Wicked ~

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said 'I just don't care!'" ~ Pink ~

http://jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com/

My goal reached thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal...ncers-say.html
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #38

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
After I bought a chest freezer and $400 in groceries to pack into slow cooker meals for it last week the crock in my crock pot developed a crack along the bottom and started to leak. In trying to get the crock replaced (pot was expensive and less than a year old) I got frustrated and bought a Cuisinart slow cooker with anodized steel cook pot. It came in yesterday and then tonight we went to a movie. I'm pretty desperate at this point to make a meal in it, so we are having something slow cooker tomorrow!

I packaged and froze multiple full meals for the slow cooker meat, veggies and spices all included. Will just add liquid and any grain at cook time. We made 6 beef stew, 2 beef and peppers, 3 vegetable soup, 1 chicken and vegetable soup with kale, 3 chicken and vegetable for adding quinoa or rice for stew, 3 chicken curry, 2 southwest chicken, 2diced chicken and onion, and 2 plain diced chicken. (found boneless, skinless breasts for $1.98/lb). We also froze three packs of bone in chicken breasts, probably 6 meals worth - $0.99/lb. I have a 7lb pork loin to slice into roasts as well. We went to three stores to shop the sales. I'm hoping to maximize sales and coupons and keep the freezer stocked - having something ready to go in the morning will save time, and will make it easier to exercise at the end of the day. Here's hoping the new cooker works - it is a fancy one. You can brown and steam in it as well. I'm excited.
Shannon, I want to come to your house for dinner.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #39

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Bill, so what did you see yesterday?

I've never seen a harlequin duck, just by lack of luck. While living Upstate this past winter, I'd drive up to Oswego Harbor on Lake Ontario with my late father's Swarovski spotting scope and look at three kinds of scoters, two kinds of mergansers, loons, grebes, flocks of oldsquaws which made the weirdest keening noise, common goldeneyes and buffleheads -- and a stoic, motionless Snowy Owl who'd sit on nearby buildings or the breakwall, looking like a whitewashed post that a lot of cars had backed into over the years.
Now that's a fine set of birds to see. Your father had good taste - we do love our Swarovski spotting scope.

It was a quiet day on the Atlantic north of Boston. We did see one Common Loon (in winter plumage), the expected scoters and mergansers, one Long-tailed Duck (for those not in the know, that's the recent PC name for 'oldsquaw'), Red-tailed Hawk, lots of Harlequins and Buffleheads, and an unexpected Turkey Vulture. Cold with stiff wind, but we stayed warm using the many, many layers trick.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years

BillBlueEyes is off-web until Sunday, 21Sept2014
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #40

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

For you birdwatchers, I have not been to any bird sanctuaries lately but right here in town I have seen wild turkeys, one day I saw 5 of them walking on a lawn of a frat house and the other day I looked out my window and saw 5 strolling around my parking lot.
PS I love those loons, they have a lot of them in my home state of Minnesota. Lots of water in Minnesota.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #41

Ah, Key West... my first trip to the Everglades as a 19 year old kid with my buddy Marc and then to the Keys too... unbelievable. Roseat spoonbills are still my favorite birds. No big winter trips this year so I envy you vacationers a bit.

Interesting how sometimes when I really really overeat (as I did on Super Bowl Sunday), for the next two days at least it is very easy to get back on track. It's actually harder to recover from a minor slipup than reovering from a major blowout, at least in terms of the cravings. But I also notice that at my age, my body does NOT enjoy the aftermath of a blowout. It's like a hangover, so I certainly would like to keep them to a minimum.
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #42
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Bargoo - come on over, I have plenty of food!

Chris - my body doesn't love the aftereffects of a major food blowout either. I hadn't thought of it like a hangover, but it does seem to feel the same way.

Dagmar - I have had to trial and error potato and rice in the slow cooker. White rice and white potatoes often end up a soggy mess. Red potatoes and brown rice or blends do fine. This rice blend is brown rice, wild rice and daikon radish seeds, all which have a little outer husk on them that protect from the cooker I think. I've never done fish in mine, what do you do? I'm looking for a fish stew recipe, though I have burned up shrimp in the slow cooker so I'm nervous about that.

Jen - that picture is lovely!

Steph - I've seen House of Cards listed on netflix but haven't watched it. Might check it out.

Saef - your comparison to the Native American commercial from the 70's gave me a very clear picture of the Paul Prudhomme image from the cover of the cookbook I just received standing looking out over the horizon. You have such a way with words, I wish I could do that.

Megan - I hate it when I plan on a thing for leftovers and they disappear. And I also don't understand the ranch on the shrimp creole. Not at all.

I know nothing about birdwatching, though it seems so peaceful. I do stand at my office window watch the geese as they cross the road between our restaurant and the movie theater parking lot across the street often. They are so intent on what they are doing, and I love that one stands and directs traffic for the rest.

I have the chicken, veggie and kale soup in the cooker today. It smelled wonderful already when I poured it out of the bag into the pot. I've never made this recipe so I'm hoping it turns out well. The pot is fantastic - it is rectangular instead of the oval crock pot shape, and it is uniform size from top to bottom where the crock pot crock was narrow at the bottom and wide at the top. I just have to remember no metal utensils on it. Which I didn't use on the crock either, so should be easy.

We saw Les Miserables last night - lovely.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL : 02-06-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #43
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)157/(G)142-138

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
Saef - thanks for sharing that story with me. It doesn't matter how many times I have seen bald eagles there, they still take my breath away.
Jen, here's an official account of the bald eagle restoration effort at Montezuma, which, I was interested to find, jives with my memory from childhood onward. Memory has a way of smoothing things out into a better story to tell others, but this is one occasion where it matches up.

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/montezuma/...onProgram.html

Shannon, I've envious of your crockpot. I've used mine on & off but I seem to choose recipes where one has to cook things separately & then put them in the crockpot. But last week, I discovered that I could add green beans, a few redjacket potatoes, thinly sliced carrots, some previously roasted eggplant chunks, some cauliflower & lots of onions & garlic, throw Trader Joe's Indian simmering sauce on it, and make a tasty dish after cooking the melange for a while. I doctored this up with some cumin and garam masala. At the very end, I tossed shrimp through it and let them cook for just a few more minutes. This was great and I'll probably do it again, as I keep frozen shrimp on hand but haven't been using it as frequently as I thought I would. Cutting up all the veggies was most of the work.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #44
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/postpartum/135

Height: 5'4"

Now you guys have me thinking up ways to utilize my slow cooker! Actually DH bought a frozen rabbit at the butcher shop a couple months ago and we have been meaning to stew it somehow. I'm thinking the slow cooker may be the most efficient way to do it to guarantee that we don't screw it up. Anyone have any ideas on how to cook a rabbit?

I'd also like to be able to adapt my mom's beef stew recipe for use in the slow cooker, but I'm not sure how to do it. I hate slow cooker recipes that involve things like pre-sauteeing stuff and adding things halfway through cooking -- totally defeats the purpose IMO, I might as well just cook it in the oven or simmer on the stovetop. If I'm going to use the slow cooker I just want to dump all the ingredients in, leave for work, and eat when I get home. My mom's stew recipe I've always made on the stovetop, but it involves thing likes browning the meat and onions, adding a whole bunch of stuff halfway through, and at the end making dumplings in the stew.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #45

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I agree--slow cookers were made to have everything added raw at one time and have it all done when you get home from work.

Here's a rabbit stew that you do all at once in the crock pot: Rabbit Stew. The only thing you do at the end is put in flour to thicken it up. And another one: rabbit stew.

I've never found a good beef stew recipe that reminds me of when I was little. I just can't get the right taste.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.