Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Steph-- I think you're right about the not drinking vs. the healthy eating..... even my dh tells me I'm no fun anymore! I can't tolerate alcohol-- like an allergy but according to the doctor no one is allergic to alcohol-- but I feel horrible if I even have a few sips, so it isn't worth it. Makes me a great designated driver. It sounds like these ladies may go all out with the cooking which will make the temptations hard for me.

My dd is again thinking she wants to transfer to BYU next year. Dh is traveling her way next week on business and will see her to have a heart to heart. I'm not sure about my feelings one way or the other. It would be a lot cheaper for us so that is a plus anyway!

My weight is slowing moving downward (I hope).....

I decided to go "old school" and buy a pedometer. I was thinking back to things I did when I was actively losing and the pedometer seemed to motivate me to move more.

Dh comes home Saturday and leaves Sunday so I'll have 24 hours (actually less) with him. He asked if we can get sushi Saturday night instead of Italian. I told him there was no way I was getting Italian so I'm glad he suggested sushi!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
Jen Careful with the t-band...I ignored some hip pain thinking it was muscles (internal conversation was "you can work this out") turns out it was bursitis in both hips and I had been running on it for months. Got so bad that I couldn't climb stairs (this is where I stopped running), kept thinking it was muscles so stopped running and started going to massage. Just got a cortisone shot last week and I'm not entirely 'happy' with the results but I AM going to start to 'walk' to see if it's better. A friend gave me a book (she's a fitness guru) "running injury free". I know your a super duper runner so maybe you could check out that book if you have never heard of it. (I've seen none of Walking Dead Season 3 either so no spoilers here!)
Thanks for the advice! This is TEXTBOOK IT Band problems. The good news is I worked legs HARD last night including lots and lots of squats and neither band pouted about it. I hope your hip problems clear up. I looked up that book and it looks like I can buy a used one from Amazon.

In other news, my friend never contacted me yesterday. The funeral is tomorrow so I'll be going to that - I hate funerals in general and especially this will be a Catholic funeral so it's bound to drag on (sorry to any Catholics here )

Weight inched down a LITTLE this morning, but I'm still well above where I would like to be. We are dealing with freezing cold this morning and icy sidewalks so I'm feeling sorry for myself to have to be relegated back to the treadmill.

Thursdays are my absolute busiest days and my case manager's kid has pink eye, so I'm suffering through alone today. I'm pouting about that. So glad I have a 3 day weekend - this has been a crappy week!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #63  
Chuggin' along...

My BF has been on a diet for 3 days. In our 7.5 years together, I have never known him to go on a diet. He wants to lower his BP (which he does need to do), and reduce his beer belly (he does have a little one, but is skinny everywhere else). I think he's the type to cut out beer for 2 weeks and immediately drop 10 lbs. I tried to reassure him that the food I make is healthy anyway. I do hope he exercises more. I think that is what will be key to him reducing his BP. We'll see how long this lasts...

Steph and Michele, I'm sometimes in social situations where I'm the only one not drinking alcohol (ETA - to clarify, I do drink sometimes, but choose not to at other times). I will avoid alcohol for caloric & health reasons, or of course if I have to drive home I won't drink much. Sometimes I'm with people who don't care/never mention that I'm not drinking, but often I get a lot of peer pressure to drink something. I have a bazillion responses and deceptions ready for the pressure-ers, but it can be really annoying. Do I need alcohol to be fun? I don't think so!

Jen, hang in there. Hopefully you will get to relax and de-stress during the long weekend.

Mmm, Michele, enjoy the sushi!

Ishbel, good for you and your fiance! Sounds like you've really made the lifestyle change together.

Saef, please keep us updated with P&Z's decision. I hope it favors your complex and you get your retaining wall.

Welcome, Sunny!

This work week is creeping along. Sigh.

Last edited by Megan1982; 01-17-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Another non drinker here and I find nobody really cares after I say"No, thanks."

Last edited by bargoo; 01-17-2013 at 01:59 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Ishbel, happy 9 months of maintaining! As you're well aware by now, that's an awesome achievement. I like your VIP's response to the potato question. Right back there with you in school and weighing 162--my doctor said I wasn't fat, but gave me little round pills that kept me up all night. I got into the 140s, but without the pills I couldn't stay there.

Michele, is the reluctance for BYU because it's too far away? Glad the IT band didn't bother you with squats. I had an IT band issue when I was running. It must be the runner's curse.

Megan, good for your BF to work on lowering his BP by diet. I'm trying to get my DH to do that. It's super annoying, though, when men give up one thing and drop all the weight in two weeks what it takes me five months to lose. Ah, well.

Jen, icy sidewalks are the worst. We're warming up to 39 next Tuesday after weeks in the 20s for highs. I hope the "thaw" will remove some of that stubborn snow pack on the sidewalks.

Got back into my regular jeans today after spending too much time in my "fat" jeans. So the holiday weight is slowly coming off, with emphasis on the word slowly. Off to lunch at a Greek place today where I'm getting one dolma and a cup of lentil soup. Going to concentrate on conversation--my friend has a new BF that I haven't met so I'm eager to learn what's been going on with her.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #66  
Chuggin' along...

Oh yes. I remember with dread the days when the whole class had to go, as one, and weigh in at the nurse's office. I was definitely one of the heavier ones in my class and was always so embarrassed by that number the whole class could see. What torture!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #67  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

Thank you shcirerf!

Ishbel - Congratulations! I can not wait to be able to say I'm 10 months in.

Megan1982 - Wow that's great about your BF! Sounds like you are giving him great inspiration!

bargoo - I'm moving away from alcohol myself. My fav. drink has around 500 calories in it. So not worth the calories!

Sheila53 - Glad to hear the holiday weight is coming off!

My first big test is coming this weekend. Hockey is back so I'm going to have to really watch the snacking! Hopefully I'll be back with a "I did great" report!

By the way....I was looking for a introduction section in the sticky area and didn't see anything, however I just found it on another page. Sorry for derailing the thread earlier!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #68  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

In general I've enjoyed a glass of wine or a cocktail with dinner here and there, but I've never been a heavy drinker so it's never really been my problem calorie-wise. This is probably a good thing too since it was extremely easy to give up alcohol for pregnancy. (Also, def. the easiest way out of being offered alcohol in a social situation! Nobody would offer it to a pregnant woman!)

I'm struggling with what to do with my cooking club meetup group right now. The guy who was supposed to host our January meetup next weekend is in the hospital with double lung pneumonia. I'm torn between offering to host it ourselves even though we hosted the last one in Nov., or cancelling it. I don't really want to cancel since we have some new people signed up (new year's resolutioners) and we haven't gotten newbies in a long time. Sadly our group has diminished and we don't have many people available to host. Then I feel bad for worrying about this when I should be worrying about the guy who is in the hospital! (He's had a tough year -- his wife had a terrible infection and was hospitalized for a while, then his mom has been on the decline, and now this. I think he's about 65 or so.)

In other news, my laryngitis is resolving and I can actually talk today. Yay! Also went for another ultrasound this morning which showed two healthy babies, and they were able to identify that they are girls! Apparently they want to do US every two weeks. I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the doctor's office.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #69  

Two girls , Jessica ! How exciting. When is their due date ?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #70  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

Twin girls - think of all the cute clothes you can buy!! Not that you'll have to buy much, if the few baby showers I've been to are any indication.

megan, I dreaded being weighed in school too. I'm in my 50s so it was a long time ago, but some of those embarrassing memories haunt me still.

Sheila, good news on the jeans. I hope you get a thaw. We had a couple of warm days that got rid of the last bit of snow we had, although I'd rather have snow than ice. I'm so afraid of falling! I got some of those yak trax things and they help some.

Jen, I hope your weekend is restorative even though it's starting with a funeral.

I've got a job interview next week, about which I am optimistic. My new job just isn't what I want and I'd like to move on quickly. I feel like I need to be settled job-wise to get back to eating right. I have such a low tolerance for anxiety.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

"Dogmaggedon" is only 12 hours from being over - I get an hour break, dinner and then I go dogsit until Sunday night. Next week will be "normal" .

Except I'm starting with a rescue dog who is from Turkey! I should have guessed that a dog named Bulut (Cloud in Turkish) would not be coming from Canadian lab rescue. The woman who is fostering her gets her Wed. night and then has to be in meetings all day Thursday. So Bulut will spend most of the day with me on the doggie bus.

I saw a video of this dog. She is a female mutt - very mixed but definitely some sheperd-like features. I am going to look at a house (to buy) tomorrow. I know I have to wait until Mud and Mishi live out their lives (they are too old and fragile to be joined by a dog) but I'm really liking what I see on the video.

Hmmm. I've been searching for dogs in Canadian rescues. Maybe I should look father afield. I really want to get a "mutt" mutt - not some crossbreed that's been engineered to be 3 parts something and one part something.

SIGH. No new house 'til I sell the family home. No dog until the cats have passed and until I have my own home. Sometimes I feel like my life is at a standstill. Just work, eat, sleep, repeat.

But there is a much brighter future coming and I'm SO looking forward to it.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #72  

dagmar, what kind of dog do you reccomend, a small, apartment dog ? Doesn't have to be purebred ? I like big dogs, actually prefer them but my apartment will only accomodate a 25 pound or so dog. I had a cockapoo, he weighed about 19 pounds he was just the right size.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #73  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

It was so windy yesterday that I tried and failed to walk the dog more than a mile, which was both of our planned exercise for the day. It has calmed down a lot so we'll go a lot further today. It was literally gale force winds. I don't know how Dagmar does it. I give up too easily on the "hard" days. I have a 3-day weekend from work through Monday. Tomorrow is a big cookoff fundraiser that a friend is organizing. BF & I want to go support her and the fundraiser, but I'll probably eat lunch before I go and skip most of the food. I know there will be fried things, butter, and cream abounding, it's inevitable and I don't want to get there hungry. A friend is also doing a BBQ w ribs on Monday. I'll probably bring some chicken to throw on the grill for myself, and maybe a non-mayo coleslaw side to share. (Anyone have any better ideas for a guilt-free BBQ-type side dish?)

Jessica, congratulations! I agree, there is sooo much "girl" stuff that is just so stinkin' cute! Very exciting. Why not offer to host for your cooking club, but ask to do potluck idea so you're not left with all the responsibility? It sounds like you would regret it if the meeting was missed. Suggest you make a plate of samples and have everyone sign a get-well card for the member in the hospital (but get a non-pregnant volunteer to deliver it).

Dagmar, Bulut sounds like a really well-traveled dog. How did he get from Turkey to Canada without a permanent owner?

Steph, GL on your interview. Let us know how it goes.

Sunny, I think sports snacking has a lot to do with who you're watching with. Some people want the snacks, others don't care. Stay strong!

What are everyone's plans for the weekend, besides watching hockey?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #74  

Megan, for your side dish, a plate of assorted raw vegies and a dip, maybe a dill dip. I have found that even the non dieters always like this.PS, the dieters can skip the dip.
I forgot, here is a delicious and very attractive salad, served in a glass (pyrex) dish to show off it's beautiful colors.

Cherry tomatoes.
An equal amount of Mozzarella balls.
Marinated artichoke hearts, cut in half
A few sliced black olives
Vinaigrette dressing.
The proportions are up to you but keep tomatoes and mozzarella about equal the olives are mainly for color, my opinion.

Last edited by bargoo; 01-18-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #75  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Bargoo, they are due June 28th but are expected to arrive around 36 weeks, so probably the beginning of June.

I am definitely excited about buying cute clothes to dress them up in. On the other hand, right now I'm stressed out about figuring out how to buy the right kind of cribs, car seats, strollers, etc. I want to just snap my fingers and have the "hard" shopping done so I can do the "fun" shopping.

Steph, good luck on your job interview!

Dagmar, I find that the most likely place to get a real mutt of a dog is the local animal control. Animal controls are almost always full of mutts and pit bulls, as opposed to rescues which are usually breed-specific. Then again, we got our lovely mutt Mr. Carter from a rescue, but it wasn't a breed rescue.

Bargoo, if you are looking for a dog for yourself you probably want to think about how high-energy you want your dog to be and things like that first, before the size. Terriers can be kind of nuts if you don't get them lots of exercise, whereas other small dogs (like pugs) are happy to lay around the house. Think about what the dog was originally bred for -- was it bred to hunt vermin? Or was it bred to be a lap dog?

Megan, I usually bring a vinaigrette-style slaw to those sort of events, or else a nice big salad. I prefer vinaigrette slaws to mayo slaws in any case. As for my meetup group, all of our meetups are potlucks, so it's just a matter of coordinating and cleaning up the house rather than having to cook a lot of food.

Yesterday DH and I tracked my protein intake. I made it to about 145g, thanks to a late-night protein shake. We'll see how I do today. I'm skeptical that I'll ever be able to make it to 175g without protein shakes, so we're going to go to Whole Foods this weekend and see about buying pregnancy-safe protein powder.

I am back in the office today. First order of business: wiping down my entire work area with Clorox wipes and setting some hand sanitizer right in front of me. Hopefully I will avoid picking up anything else. I washed my hands three times while putting my food in the fridge and getting a cup of tea in the break room! (Maybe I should get some hand lotion too...)
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote