Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #376  
Workin' It

I've managed to not buy GS cookies this year. I've passed two tables of girls selling them, but didn't have cash on me to get any and didn't ask about writing a check. Last year I made it all the way til May and bought some outside of Walgreens where I had taken a friend who had just had surgery to get a prescription filled. So, that was the second week in May. This is the first week of March. Did cookies come out at the same time last year? I need to remember this May when I'm weakened by the overload of seeing them everywhere that the boxes are several months old by then, maybe that will help.

We visited my uncle in the hospital last Monday night and they had a box of thin mints in the windowsill. I'm pretty sure I stared at it every three minutes the whole night.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 03-04-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #377  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I've managed to not buy GS cookies this year. I've passed two tables of girls selling them, but didn't have cash on me to get any and didn't ask about writing a check. Last year I made it all the way til May and bought some outside of Walgreens where I had taken a friend who had just had surgery to get a prescription filled. So, that was the second week in May. This is the first week of March. Did cookies come out at the same time last year?
Shannon, I'm pretty sure they did - I got mine last year and this year from a co-worker who lives in Acworth and has a daughter in school there. But I don't remember it going until May! Wow!

Last Monday's weight was 125.0, today's was 125.2. I'm not that sad, actually. Sure, I would love for the direction to be down a little, but I'm dealing with monthly bloat and I know that affects things. Plus, most of my clothes are starting to fit again. Woohoo!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #378  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

What are the cookies of which you all speak?

Me, I've picked up four pounds that might or might not be real weight from a weekend lying around my apartment pretty much, feeling wiped out. Despite the usual rigorous weekend workouts, I probably snacked too much on nuts & apples & drank too much soda & chewed too much sugarfree gum, which always makes me retain fluid.

Oh, I did cook one thing that was interesting. I made Kalyn's Kitchen recipe for mock kale lasagna with turkey sausage. You cook the kale leaves first, dry them, then lay them flat in the pan, in place of the lasagna noodles. This was okay but I would not serve it to anyone who regularly eats "regular" lasagna.

Last edited by saef; 03-04-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #379  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
What are the cookies of which you all speak?

Me, I've picked up four pounds that might or might not be real weight from a weekend lying around my apartment pretty much, feeling wiped out. Despite the usual rigorous weekend workouts, I probably snacked too much on nuts & apples & drank too much soda & chewed too much sugarfree gum, which always makes me retain fluid.

Oh, I did cook one thing that was interesting. I made Kalyn's Kitchen recipe for mock kale lasagna with turkey sausage. You cook the kale leaves first, dry them, then lay them flat in the pan, in place of the lasagna noodles. This was okay but I would not serve it to anyone who regularly eats "regular" lasagna.
I wonder if there are palatable replacements for pasta? DH loves ' pasta but I'm always aware of the high calorie counts when serving it. It's really hard to cook 2 portions despite having the measuring gizmo. The noodles just don't roll around in the water properly.

I'm really trying but I can't seem to acquire a taste for kale. I've managed to pick up a taste for spinach (which I used to dislike) and for leeks. But the kale remains bitter, undigestible seaweed to my palate.

I am now on day 5 of being OP. I can't remember the last time this happened - it's been so long .

But for me. I seem to have reached some sort of inner peace with the binge eating and eating in front of the TV. And I have no logical explanation for it.

It was just time.

Dagmar
Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #380  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Dagmar, yay for 5 days OP!!!! And peace with food in front of the TV- very impressive.

saef - I will have to try that recipe. I love kale, and my taste buds have changed so radically from what they once were that I now find things delicious that I once would rejected outright. But I'll make it for myself solo, first. No need to subject others to my experiments.

I have an event at school today and made a 9x13 pan on blondies last night. My strategy for baked goods is to make only things where a missing piece would be obvious - cakes, pies, pans of things. It's too easy to justify "testing" a cookie otherwise. The entire pan made it into school this morning.

Tonight I have a dinner to attend with a friend. We live on opposite sides of the metro area and only get together once every couple of months or so. Well, we bought discount tickets to a fancypants dinner "supper club" thing at a local bistro. Included (for two) is a glass of wine, shared appetizer, salad, entree, and shared dessert. Oh, goodness. I'm feeling anxious. I'm a person of extremes - either completely OP or blowing it out of the water. I would love to eat like that theoretical "normal eater" and leave some bites on my plate, savor each course, yadda yadda, and not push my calories for the day sky high. I can go a little over without going nuts, right? I mean, my mouth and brain and stomach can cooperate on this?

Have a good day everyone!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #381  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Jen-- I love your baking strategy! My problem is always taking them out of the pan. I need to leave them in the pan! Good luck with your supper club tonight.

Way to go Dagmar! That is impressive. And with all the stress you have going on now.

My weight is stupid. But not surprising. I was up 3.6 pounds over the weekend, ate OP yesterday, and up another pound today. But I did body pump (weights) yesterday which usually shows a gain on the scale. So, I'm trying to stay focused. I'll go back to bikram today and hopefully sweat some stuff out!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #382  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Dagmar~I have used the tofu noodles from the grocery store a couple of times. They are a good substitute for pasta, but you need to rinse them several times otherwise they have a bit of a fishy smell and taste. I also bought a box of Miracle Noodles from Amazon which my DD really likes but I have yet to try them.

I'm bummed. My weight is up and isn't budging. My ticker will be updated soon. I think the culprit is too much snacking. I think I can get away with it, but that is not so.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #383  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I'm PMSing so badly that half an hour ago a male friend asked if I was on my period. That made me so mad that I brainstormed a long list of personal attacks and am still fuming. I hate that this happens every month!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #384  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Re: kale. The place where I buy it increased the price from 98 cents per bunch to $2.48 per bunch. Yikes! Since I'm moving from my house with raised beds, I'll have to try it in containers.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #385  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I'm PMSing so badly that half an hour ago a male friend asked if I was on my period. That made me so mad that I brainstormed a long list of personal attacks and am still fuming. I hate that this happens every month!
It does end. Generally in your late 50's if you have kids. Mine ended at around 47 - I have not missed it - ever.

Dagmar
Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #386  
Chuggin' along...

Sheila, I've grown kale in my raised bed garden during the winter for 2 years now and it's done very well, produced abundantly, and is very low/no maintenance. I had a hard time finding seeds or seedlings anywhere, though, so I did have to order the seeds online. Even with shipping they've paid for themselves many times over.

Dagmar, kale is pretty earthy. Maybe try collard greens instead. They have that sturdier texture but not bitterness. Or if you like spinach, what the hey, go with that.

Of course, I love kale. I made two trays of kale chips last night as my veggie accompaniment to dinner. I can't believe how 10 cups of kale just wilts away to nothing. Does 10 cups of kale "chipped" in the oven still have the same fiber content of 10 cups of kale raw?

I'm focusing on making small, good food decisions right now (eg waiting until after rehearsal last night to make kale chips, instead of diving into a chocolate bar before rehearsal, when I discovered BF had eaten all the salad and put the bowl back into the fridge with 3 leaves remaining). Exercise is mediocre. Scale is unknown. I really need to get more sleep.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #387  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Sleep ! I didn't get any last night, or very little. I need to go grocery shopping today and do laundry if I can stay awake.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #388  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Small, good food decisions. I like that Megan. I had a horrible day at work yesterday. It got comical because so many things kept happening. I don't drink but I was seriously considering it. I badly wanted to dive into something BAD to eat. I allowed myself an indulgence-- you'll laugh at this one-- I usually have 1/2 a small container of low fat cottage cheese for a mid afternoon snack-- I ate the whole container (320 calories). Then I went to yoga. And felt much better afterwards. The scale was actually down rather than up this morning so no harm done.

Unfortunately my lululemon clothes are still a distant dream since I allowed my weight to go back up with my birthday festivities.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #389  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Michele, I probably wouldn't have done as well as you on a stressful day. Those days just cry out for a Hershey's Bar and sometimes I give in. If I can hold it to one I think I have been successful.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #390  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I must say, I don't know **anyone** who gets enough sleep -- except my mother's cat, Fritz.
Closed Thread