Help! How do I STOP losing weight?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Last week I reached my target weight of 100lbs (well I overshot actually and weighed in at 99) so I decided to start maintaining. I cut my exercise down from three sessions to one session a day and added 100 calories to my daily intake because I heard you should start eating more slowly. However I weighed myself this week and I've lost weight without even trying! I now weigh 95.7lbs which means I've managed to lose 3.3lbs in the last week. How can I begin to stabilize my weight?
  • My honest opinion? I read ur blog, you seriously DO NOT eat enough. You need to eat double the amount of calories or even triple the amount.. you are practically living on green tea and carrot sticks. Just my two cents, not trying to sound harsh.. but youll continue to lose weight with that diet.
  • By eating more than 500 calories per day. But you know this already, don't you? Please take our advice and see a doctor about your nutrition.

F.
  • You are only 14. You are still growing. I don't know what happened in your life to make you think that you need to lose weight, but you are on a VERY dangerous path. Please, talk to a nutritionist.
  • Many people on 3FC worry about "starvation mode". It almost never applies to anyone...

...except you.

You are starving yourself, my dear. Eating 300 calories per day and exercising enough to double the meager amount you do eat, is incredibly harmful.

You are young, and odds are, your body is good at compensating for the destructive things you are doing to it. This won't last forever and you will probably start losing hair and damaging your bones and organs...for life.

I pray you get help soon. Good luck.
  • I hope you take the previous advice to heart. At your height, you should weigh closer to 120. You are young and honestly, not eating enough at this age can have long term negative effects on your health. You can stunt your growth along with other things. My overall advice would please seek advice from a doctor.
  • You need to show your mom your blog and let her take you to a doctor. Your well into an eating disorder. I don't feel comfortable offering any more advice then that..
  • Quote:
    You need to show your mom your blog and let her take you to a doctor. Your well into a eating disorder. I don't feel comfortable offering any more advice then that..
    This. If you feel you can't talk to your mom, try a school counselor, parent of a friend, teacher, or other trusted adult.
  • Please seek professional help...

Eating disorders are potentially fatal...
  • I wholeheartedly echo the other advice given. Your BMI is 16 and you are risking your health and your life.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/44...s-a-bmi-of-16/
  • Yeah, I'm not one to preach BUT I'm in total agreement with the others who said you're underweight, underfed and overexercising. You should minimally weigh 115 if not 120. I'm 5'6 and weigh 127 lbs. just as an example. I'm surprised you have enough energy to walk around eating so little. Please talk to someone about this. I hope I haven't offended you but your blog concerns me.

ETA: I've been maintaining for several months now at 1800 calories a day and on workout days, 2000-2100 calories. I've remained at the same body fat too. I eat double what you eat all day for breakfast. Just my .02 cents.
  • I lived for a while as you are doing, trying to go below 100 pounds. I also exercised two or three times a day, couldn't even sit for very long & tapped my foot nervously when I tried to settle. I couldn't sleep very well, either. And I had superhuman strength for someone who was subsisting on a starved prisoner's calorie count. I saw myself as fat. I felt I still jiggled even though my ribcage and hipbones were visible. By the time I went to see a therapist, because part of me sensed I was really losing it and this kind of life was not sustainable, or even making me happy, no matter how low I got, the therapist took all of a few minutes to diagnose me as anorexic and potentially bulimic. I was using the exercise to burn off any calories rather than purging, as everyone thinks an anorexic does. I'd told myself all along that I was NOT anorexic because I wasn't throwing up or using laxatives.

Anyway, it took me the better part of three years to recover, and I was told that because I'd gone in sooner than some people manage to -- after my period stopped for 18 months but before my hair started falling out and before I did much damage to my bones -- more was salvageable & I would not need hospitalization.

From someone who's been there & back, and sees something of her former self in you, please listen to those others posting here and talk with someone in real life about what you are going through, preferably someone who knows about eating disorders.

Please.

I'm going to be thinking about you all night and I hope you do check in, but you need a real-life person with you far more than anyone on this message board.
  • Please. Please. PLEASE listen to what everyone on here is saying to you. I too have struggled with body image since I was 11, and was always willing to do crazy things to get the weight off.

First of all, you are ruining your body for the REST OF YOUR LIFE if you dont seek and obtain professional help. I heard a statistic once, (now i cant remember it exactly, but you'll get the jist of it) that for every month that a girl is anorexic, it equals like 6 months of infertility. Something like that. That probably doesn't mean much to you now, but in the future you are making your chances of ever having a family hard. The POINT of this is that if you continue with this like before mentioned, you will start to lose your hair. Your teeth will be so messed up. You might not be able to have your own children. And if you continue like you have been, YOU WON'T BE ALIVE.

If that isn't enough incentive to talk to your parents and seek out PROFESSIONAL help, then I dont know what is.

Please, please, PLEASE listen to us. Your life is on the line. Don't throw it away.
  • I completely agree with everyone else. While BMI is only a guideline, at 5'4" you're "supposed" to go no lower than about 108 pounds. At 114 you were perfect, a mere 6 pounds above the minimum which is really nothing at all.

Your caloric intake is incredibly, incredibly low. You are killing yourself. You're still growing, you're at a point when nutrition is vastly important, and you are denying yourself the nutrients you need in order to look emaciated which isn't even attractive so whoever may have told you/suggested that it is was either lying or needs serious mental help.

Please, increase your calorie intake. If you were back at your old weight, you'd need to eat about 1700 to 2000 calories a day to maintain a 114 pound frame at your age. To maintain 100, we're talking about the same amount. You're currently burning about 1700 calories a day but you're taking in less than 1000, way less. Mathematically, it makes sense that you're still shrinking. 3500 calories equals a pound and you're burning 1000+ a day. In one week, that's way over 3500. 1000 a day means 7000 a week which comes to 2 full pounds from starvation and obsessive exercise.

Your poor body is starving to death. You may think this is just fine and dandy but the amount of damage you are doing to yourself is high. You are so young...in the long run, you will regret this if you don't stop.
  • I can't add much to what everyone else has said... except to say that it made me really sad to read this in your blog:

Quote:
    As you can see I managed to eat next to nothing at Christmas dinner. Go me!
    I used to think that way, like I was being "successful" if I could avoid eating as much as possible. I have completely changed my perspective - and learned so, so much - from reading the posts here.

Spend time reading all you can around this forum. Even if people disagree on some specifics on eating plans/exercise regimens, there is consensus that you have to consume enough calories to supply your body with what it needs and you have to treat yourself well if you want to have a body that functions (you can get away with a lot of abuse now because you are young, but it catches up with you surprisingly fast). Please take what people here are telling you seriously. You can save yourself a lot of future problems if you educate yourself now. You have such a great resource here at 3fc as a place to start, to ask questions, to find others who have gone through what you are...