Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
I've been working up a sweat on their elliptical machine each morning and I love it. It's a big purchase... But I think I'm going to get one. It's so convenient to have it right there.
I bought a used Precor over a year ago and have never regretted it. I keep it in my rarely used living room along with my other home gym equipment. The coffee table doubles as a weight bench. If you buy used be sure and ask how many miles are on it. Not sure if all ellipticals store that information, though.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #17  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Alison, my mother loved "Les Miserables" but I disliked it more than any movie I've seen this year because it was so in my face & so over-the-top melodramatic and because I felt like it was **trying too hard** to make me cry. I thought Anne Hathaway was good, but gone too soon. This movie never met a deathbed or dying scene that it didn't like. A mother dies, a child dies, a benevolent patriarch dies, singing all the while. I'd rather go to a good opera like "La Boheme" than a cheesy movie in which I have to hear Russell Crowe trying to sing a policeman's lines.

I'm hoping to see "Silver Linings Playbook" this afternoon but it is going to depend on the weather behaving itself.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Sorry you didn't like the movie, saef. I enjoyed Silver Linings Playbook. Kind of predictable, but then most movies like that are to some extent.

Megan~we have a LifeFitness treadmill and a (I think) Schwinn elliptical. The elliptical we got from Amazon and it was less than $1000. So far both work great! I can't imagine what a new LifeFitness (or Precor) machine would cost! We got ours new, but it was donated to an auction fundraiser and we were the only bidders and got it for $1000. Oh, wait, just Googled it--both are around $4500! Yikes!

At our annual Christmas eve party we were talking to some kids that recently graduated from college and heard that they are moving to Georgia (Marietta). While they're excited and scared all the same, they're quite happy to have found a 3 bedroom apartment for less than they've been paying for a one bedroom one in Long Beach. I can't remember where he said he will be working.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

DH and I will be digging out two big driveways today. He can use the snowblower on ours but there's no way to get it over to my other house. That'll have to be done by hand as the junker car in the garage is being towed away today. DH will be mightily sore tomorrow. I better stock up on the muscle pain meds. And go and do some stretching before I start on our patio.

The cats were hanging in the doorway this morning and looking at me with astonishment. They had forgotten about this white stuff. Mishi attempted to go on to the steps and sunk in past his belly. Mud turned and ran for the heating vent.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Hi all!

I have to work 1 day between Christmas and New Year's and today is the day! Bad luck on my part. We are getting nailed! It was an adventure getting to work for sure! We have about 18 inches on the ground right now and it's still going. Supposed to taper off so hopefully it won't be bad heading home.

I followed my plan for Christmas Eve and Christmas and ate WAY too much and paid the price. I am wondering if I have gallbladder issues. But after eating well and flushing my system yesterday, I weighed in not too badly today - under 120 which is my no-no weight.

I took a 4 mile walk with my dogs Christmas morning and it was so peaceful out. I want to re-capture that moment!

Hope everyone who is in the storm's path can hunker down!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #21  

We have just over 12 inches of snow here. I am thanking DH over and over again for purchasing the snowblower. We still have looong driveway #2 to do once he is done our place. I did shovel out the front and side walks and the patio (for the cats ) and my back was fine. Hope that holds out for driveway #2 - it all has to be done by shovel as the snowblower is too big to put in either of our vehicles.

Good day all. Those digging out take many breaks!

Dagmar
Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #22  
Girl Gone Strong

Perhaps as some slight compensation for Hurricane Sandy, we have no snow on the ground whatsoever this morning at my apartment complex. We have a damp, chilly wind that cut through my light winter coat. Time to bring out the down-stuffed jacket.

I saw my mother off, worrying a little, as she's heading right into snowy territory. She wanted to go, though. Her cat definitely wanted to be home. And to tell the truth, I was ready for her to go. At least she'll be traveling along the New York State Thruway, which is a well-maintained road with well-stocked rest stations. I'll be listening for her to call, to let me know of her progress.

I've gotta work today, too. Oracle bought something last Thursday and some analyst wants to write about it. There are other things I could get done, as well, though I have that holiday-related lassitude that makes me want to slack all day.

Last edited by saef; 12-27-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

tsaef, you mentioned coats . I got 4 for Christmas. My children had heard me talking about looking for a coat and they took it to heart. DS #2 said I am going to take you shopping for a coat for your Christmas present. This turned out to be a fun excursion, the last time I was shopping with him I was buying him school clothes. I had told him sizing was weird so he thought it best if I try them on and pick what I like. He soon learned what I was talking .I tried on smalls and they were too large and I tried on mediums and they were too small. I have learned from experience that this is just the way it is and I keep trying until I find something that fits no matter what size they claim it to be.I found two that I liked and that fit and was trying to decide between them and he said he was going to get both of them I objected saying I didn't really need two but he said this will give you variety and he bought both of them. Meanwhile DS# 1 ,and DIL had jaclets on their list for me. A month or so ago I was at the Hospital for my treatment and DIL was with me and I stopped in the gift shop, they had a jacket I liked like but was too big, later on in another store I found one almost like it but it was too big , also. I mentioned this to DIL in passing.My Christmas gift from them was a jacket almost like the one I had seen at the Hospital they also gave me a topper good for warmer weather. I am guessing they bought it because it is purple and they know I like purple. I will not be needing any new coats for quite some time.

Last edited by bargoo; 12-27-2012 at 11:55 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #24  
Girl Gone Strong

Bargoo, this is self-evident, but: Hey, you're back. Happy holidays! I know you went offline while visiting, and now I know that, like me, you are thankful for the pleasure of nice-looking clothing, which we didn't enjoy quite so much about 100 pounds ago.

I'm working online today and just got off a brisk phone call with my manager who wants to pretend there's no holiday holding stuff up. She wants me to call a meeting the day after New Years so she can present material to her own manager that Friday.

And I'm wondering how my mother's drive back Upstate is doing.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #25  

saef, I have often wondered if people thought I liked the clothes I wore when I was obese. Elastic waist pants for one. I think that those who design clothes for overweight women are men who hate women.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
saef, I have often wondered if people thought I liked the clothes I wore when I was obese. Elastic waist pants for one. I think that those who design clothes for overweight women are men who hate women.
I think a lot of the men who design clothes for skinny women hate us too - look at any layout in Vogue. I wouldn't be caught dead in anything they show there. I guess there is the "high fashion" garment and then there is the version that makes it into "regular" stores? I do like Ralph Lauren though - he seems to be the exception to all those male designers who make, to me, "silly clothes".

Dagmar
Old 12-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #27  
Chuggin' along...

All those unflattering fashions are why I like black yoga pants so much! I fear I'm one of those stereotypes who wears yoga pants very often. I put them on to walk the dog... and wear them all day.

I'm waiting for my flight at the Baltimore airport right now. After a day or two of being shy around me, my 2.5 yr old niece got over it and would read her dora books and do puzzles with me, too. I still don't have the magic touch w my 3 month old niece. When she 's happy she'll sit with me, but when fussy my mom is better at calming her down. I'll see my parents in March, but am not sure when I'll see my nieces, sister & co again. The trials of living so far away... I'm looking forward to seeing BF and my fur baby though, too.

Santa brought me a new iPod nano for my workouts! My old one is barely making it. He also brought me some amazon gift cards I will use for my new elliptical. I have my Schwinn model picked out and will order when I get home.

Bargoo, it's nice that your family pays attention to what you want. I've decided it is nice to have coat options and I'd like to get a few more. I hate to wear my big poofy ski jacket to a more formal dinner when a black pea coat would look nicer.

Saef, do you have to prep anything for the meeting or just call it? Hopefully just the latter. I'm sure your mom will get home ok. My dad is the same way. He'll drive in terrible weather.

Dagmar, hope you get all the snow cleared! The snowblower sounds great.

Jen, I hope you get home from work alright and stay warm!

Allison, I found a Schwinn model on sale for about $600, which is how much I'd like to spend. My BIL has a Schwinn, so I know I like it, and it's a bit smaller so will fit in my space better.

Better go check on my flight. Back home, back to normal, whatever that is. Have a good evening all.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm not a fan of Ralph Lauren. Everything is not soft enough, if that makes any sense. It also seems to wrinkle too easily.

And Vogue? It's not worth reading unless you want to spend $500 per piece of clothing! I don't do fashion magazines.

My magazine of choice is More. In fact, besides Wired and Popular Science, it's about the only one I read.

I guess my style of clothes is comfortable and stylish. And black. I really like black. I have a pair of black pants that are about 16 years old and still in perfect condition (and still fit!). A colorful top and I'm set to go.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #29  

I only buy pants in black, brown, navy, beige or white plus blue denims then no matter what top I pull out of the closet I know I have pants that will work with it.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #30  

I live in pants - mostly jeans in fall/spring (I have blue, black, and grey in various fits and styles but wear lower rise boot cuts mostly) and cords in winter. Yes I actually look good in corduroy - DH is always surprised by that. I have cords in mostly grey and black but I have one pink and one orange pair. All are lower rise boot cuts, to minimize my ***(ets).

I do have some beautiful dresses (and shoes and bags and jewellery) in my closet, which I pull out and admire whenever I'm dreaming of a different life. Sometimes I'll even put on the full monty - dress, heels, makeup, perfume, etc. - and go out to an occasion. But I have to go by myself. DH, now that he's "fat guy" doesn't have any clothes to dress up in and feels intimidated by my outfits.

I wish there was a "rent a date" thing I could afford that didn't involve hiring someone who expects to be "bedded".

I definitely need one of those gay men friends I keep hearing about women having. I could have a great deal of fun going out with someone like that!

Dagmar