3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers Weekly Chat Dec 10 - Dec 16

Old 12-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #46

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

LOL at "I wouldn't dare to ignore baklava." - Welcome Marrie Ann, and

We're guests tonight at dinner celebrating the Eight night of Hanukkah. Facing the notion of not wanting to appear unappreciative guests where there is going to be lots of food, with multiple choruses of "more, more, more." Gotta remember that it's not a display of anti-semitism to say no, LOL.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #47

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Dogmageddon has ended! My legs still hurt from the 9 hours of dogwalking I did yesterday. Glad that's done and that there is that extra money for Christmas now.

I'm going to buy some special cookies (shortbread covered with belgian chocolate ) for all the long-suffering people who are dealing with my father in palliative care. And I sent off 2 "mistletoe" boxes from Harry & David to both my cousins who have also been visiting and trying to talk him into going into long-term care.

I can now also donate my $100 worth of toys to the less fortunate kids in our area (something I couldn't afford to do last year).

Ah Friday. I think I will indulge tonite and have one really good beer.

Good day all!

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #48
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/<148

Height: 5'7.5"

I too tip 'em for good health, Chris. Dark beers and dark red wines, mostly. 95% of the time, it's just one glass. I like the differences in tastes and enjoy the hunt for inexpensive wines that taste good to me. Fortunately, my maintenance calorie allowance has some wiggle room and I don't yet have to make some of the more difficult choices.

dagmar, congrats on your survival and achieving a bit of financial peace. Definitely time to do something truly enjoyable for yourself!

Our remodel has a new project manager; not sure how much my gripe had to do with it ... but the new guy was out to the house, taking pictures of the work already done and the state of the material being staged. I had a warm fuzzy about him - Saef mentioned a while back about what it's like to be in the presence of calm competency, and that's how he came across. We had a good discussion - for a construction guy, he was an outstanding listener. Some of the work that's been done is going to be re-done, which may set us back a bit, but it will be to manufacturer's specifications.

DS13's choir has their first major concert tonight. It will be almost two hours of singing, all from memory. Rehearsal on Tuesday sounded terrific! I just found out yesterday that on Valentine's Day, they will be performing in a benefit with The King's Singers. Oh my!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #49

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've been listening to my Dad complain about the renovations being done to his basement. He's still not wanting it to be done and thinks he's going to have to pay for it all. He is not understanding that the insurance will pay for most of it. Anyway, he doesn't understand why it is taking so long. All it is is complain, complain, complain. Says the work has been going on since August. Um, yeah, the flood was in September. They started work in November. He thought rewiring the basement, a complete bathroom redo and putting up walls and ceiling would take a week!

And then once again he reiterated that he just doesn't like the hassle of flying. Yet he still wants to fly to his "girlfriends" house for her graduation party. He isn't going, though.

Enjoy the concert, Becky! I watched the link you posted yesterday. Very nice!

Glad you survived dogmageddon, Dagmar!

Enjoy the festivities, Bill!

Welcome, Marrie Ann!

Chris, I'm not convinced wine will stave off Alzheimers, but I'm willing to try! I love a good red wine. My new favorite is Malbec. I've found a couple here that are only $12 a bottle and both quite good.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #50

Alinell, Argentina has some great affordable Malbecs! (Talk about derailing this thread)
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #51

S/C/G: 178/122/125

Height: 5'5"

This thread does take some interesting curves-- wines, concerts, Hanukkah, injuries, Mormons, dog walking, and older men dating younger women-- and that's just on this page!

Saef-- I am also fascinated by my daughter's conversion. While we were not particularly religious, we did raise our girls Jewish-- they went to religious school, had their Bat Mitzvah's, they were both Madrichim (religious school helpers). She is now home for winter break and has asked about Hanukkah twice-- I keep reminding her that Mormons don't celebrate Hanukkah.

We have also been visited by the elders (the young Mormon men on their mission). I think now that my dd converted, they want to see if there's any more fresh meat at our house!! I was caught by surprise when they came last week and told them they could come back when dh was home (they said they couldn't come in if a man wasn't in the house). Once I talked to dd, she told me that I need to tell them nicely that we aren't interested in converting and they'll quit coming. They came back last night and dh answered the door. Rather than telling them nicely we aren't interested, he invited them back this weekend! WHAT?! He said they are just nice polite young men (which they are) and we should be hospitable to them. I will make sure when they come that we let them know we are not interested in converting!

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
298/365 workouts
234 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #52

Quote:
I keep reminding her that Mormons don't celebrate Hanukkah.
LOL! That made me laugh!

You're right, the missionaries are nice, young people (most are 19 year old men, but there are some young women out there, too). I don't understand how they choose where the kids go. I have a friend from high school who's daughter wanted to go to Africa. The family has been numerous times, the son didn't do a mission, but goes and spends months there doing charity work, building stuff, kind of like the Peace Corps. She got sent to Ohio.

``•Allison•``

Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #53

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

michele, I have had Morman neighbors and Mormon coworkers, they are the nicest, most polite people that you can imagine. On my last job I worked with a Morman girl, we had just enough downtime where we would chat about this and that. I learned a lot from our conversations, I also have visited the Morman Information Center in Hawaii and learned a lot there reinforcing some of the things I had heard and wondered about. Going from Jewish to Mormanism seems like quite a stretch. The most important for your DD is that she be happy with her decision.

Last edited by bargoo : 12-14-2012 at 12:20 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #54
Chuggin' along...

Yesterday was just one of those days when exercise wasn't easy. I got home and needed to take the dog for a walk. I didn't want to, but went anyway. Usually after a bit I don't mind it, but yesterday, my feet were like lead weights. I went 4 miles at a moderate pace anyway. Gotta fake it til I make it - and get some jogging in, too. But I do feel much better because I ordered all of the gifts I plan to order online, and all are scheduled to arrive by Christmas. I still want to do something crafty for my nieces, but the rest is done minus a few stocking stuffers. Whew.

I was out on the boat all day and it was windy, gray, and cold. I want nothing more than to go home and get in our friend's hot tub with a glass of wine. But I will walk the dog first, and maybe skip the wine bc I'm trying to be good. I do enjoy my 2 glasses of wine or a good beer, but see no point in drinking bad beer. I've gone without an alcoholic beverage many times when there is nothing available to my liking. I also have nursed drinks for hours, or dumped them, or got the bartender to make me a mocktail that looks like a cocktail to get people off my back when I'm being pressured to drink. In small towns like mine there isn't much to do besides going to the bar at night. (Maybe why I'm so into community theatre?)

Alison, at least your dad is no longer planning on going to the graduation party. Wasn't that the plan last time you posted about the situation?

Dagmar, glad you made it through the week and are in such good holiday spirits.

First Christmas party tomorrow night. Dun dun dun... it begins.

Have a great weekend all!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #55

saef, are you OK ? Are you working at home today ? I don't know where your office is in Connecticut but I am praying you are nowhere near where this senseles and tragic shooting took place.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #56
Midsize B%^$#*tch

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)156/(G)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Oh, Bargoo, this is horrible. What kind of person guns down 20 elementary school children?

I'm perfectly fine, thanks. Drove into Connecticut office at noon because I'll be meeting an old friend for dinner tonight.

Head office is quiet on Fridays usually but today ... CNN going in the cafeteria, everyone intently watching news reports on their laptops & tablets. Little cries of "Ohhh" coming out from the cubicles.

One woman in my department lives in Newtown and a guy with whom I've been co-presenting training & informational sessions also lives in Newtown. I can think of one of the most prominent analysts in our company who lives there, too, and also someone who leads our Web design team. And there are others, too, whose kids go to school in that district.

Miraculously, NONE of them have lost children. A bulletin went out around the whole company. I've emailed the two people with whom I'm closest, very briefly.

But both think that their children have probably lost friends ....

This workplace is going to be a very different kind of place this coming Monday.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #57

So tragic. Senseless.

``•Allison•``

Old 12-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #58
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

I was thinking this same thing myself earlier bargoo, and wondering about you Saef. I'm so sorry for your coworkers - though they didn't lose anyone personally, their kids have lost something they can't fix today. It is so sad.

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #59
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

While I've been absent from posting here, I am still maintaining, and have been reading as time allows.

I have no words that can express how I feel about what happened today.

3+ year maintainer.
The human body is capable of amazing things! But without the mind, it is nothing. Get your mind in gear and the body will follow!

Be selfish about caring for yourself, you deserve it!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #60

janelle, good to hear from you, I have missed you,,
Yesterday's event are too tragic to understand.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.