3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintaining Momentum through the Holidays!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #16

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Dagmar, no, this book is about physical, visceral fear over very immediate causes, like strangers in parking garages and situations you'd encounter if you were out running alone.

It's not about that bigger, almost existential fear that I suspect you're talking about, and with which I am also very familiar: My anxiety about being wrong, failing, falling, or being reprimanded or laughed at, which leads to my reining myself in, not working at full potential & living a smaller, more constricted & less joyous life.

Now that book is definitely out there, because I know we're not the only ones who think we are holding ourselves back. But I don't know what it is. If I ever find it, I'll tell you.
Thank you saef. I'll do the same. I was curious and did a search on Amazon for books on overcoming fear. Most of the titles the search came up with involve religious belief. Interesting and quite surprising, for me.

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #17

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Ward, bless you and you friend for staying and doing what you could. Too many people are afraid to "get involved ".
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #18

S/C/G: 178/122/125

Height: 5'5"

I don't know if I'm gaining momentum-- perhaps in the wrong direction.
Weight is going up and up again. Puts me in such a foul mood.

I couldn't exercise yesterday due to trying to pick up the mini cooper-- it taking longer than expected coupled with bad traffic-- plus I ache all over....

I was late getting to work today because I kept changing outfits because nothing looked good. Bah Humbug.

Better get my arse with it today!

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
298/365 workouts
234 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #19
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/156.0/<148

Height: 5'7.5"

Michele, I hear ya - I was there earlier this year, and couldn't get it turned around until July. I don't know if what I have is "momentum" - it's more like the way a glacier moves.

I've read excerpts from "The Gift of Fear" and it sounds like a great book. I am currently working on "The Places that Scare You" by Pema Chodron, trying to get past my own stall points. It's a hard read for me and going slowly, as the message is very simple but I don't have much context to attach it to. Martha Beck also addresses fear in "Finding Your Own North Star", which has become one of my favorites. The exercises in it have caused me both incredible discomfort and truly shattering paradigm shifts.

146.5 today. I updated my weekly average graph and since July, my trend is about a pound down every five weeks. Definitely not a best-seller type of plan!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116/this is fine

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Ward, bless you and you friend for staying and doing what you could. Too many people are afraid to "get involved ".
I never understood this. How can you live with yourself knowing you turned away from someone who needed help desperately? It's not hard to call 911 and say where the incident is.

Fortunately there aren't many emergencies in my direct path, but when they do happen (domestic disturbances, homeless people lying comatose on the sidewalk, etc) I don't really consider ignoring it an option.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/krampus
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Michele, I'm completely gaining momentum in the wrong direction.

Ward - I'm glad that you guys didn't leave a little earlier! I have a friend who was jogging downtown a couple of years ago and an SUV jumped the curb and crushed him between it and a retaining wall alongside the road.

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #22
Maintaining

Did I kill the thread? Eek.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #23
Recovering Pantry Pest

It lost momentum. Momentarily.

I overdid the 'nog a bit last night - had to get the first 3 and innermost strings of lights on the tree, and needed something to kill the pain. Actually, I've finally found a great pair of leather gloves, and they took the brunt of it. My forearms still look I stuck them in an ant nest, but hey, it's Christmas, right?

The siding project starts/started today. I don't know for sure, I'm not home. Hopefully if there were an issue, the phone would ring! My nosy neighbor will give me a full report later, I'm sure.

I really need to schedule a massage. This whole month makes me hyperventilate. No holiday should require a month of preparation for "meeting the standards."
Old 12-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #24
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116/this is fine

Height: 5'5

MMMMM 'nog. I had it (spiked) for the first time last year. Going to pretend it doesn't exist save for maybe one evening this year.

Last night I went out to sushi, had my share (1 block of cold tofu, 2 modest sized rolls of 6 and 8 each) and found myself inhaling my boyfriend's leftover beef donburi and then eating 2 servings of ice cream (two different kinds - but one was freeze-dried so it doesn't count, am I correct?!). Today I intend to take it a little easier - go to the gym, cook dinner, and work on Christmas cards.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/krampus
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #25

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Freeze-dried ice cream? What the heck is that?

Ah, 'nog. Can't go there.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #26
Maintaining

I've had freeze dried ice cream, it is the little pellets right? Though I think they can make it in different shapes. Space Dots or something?

I love eggnog. My ex-uncle used to make it homemade. We were all very upset when he and my aunt got divorced because we lost the eggnog hookup.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #27
Recovering Pantry Pest

Never understood the allure of the freeze-dried ice cream, but I think I tried it when it first came out - didn't register as something worth eating. Now, eggnog, different story! I have reduced my quantity over the years, but upped the quality. It has to be a premium organic brand with full fat (or home-made), must be spiked with dark rum, and must have fresh nutmeg grated on it. Indulgent? Ohhhh yeah. And so rich, it's safely self-limiting. I am a full-fledged eggnog snob!

Last edited by ICUwishing : 12-05-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #28
Maintaining

I have bought silk nog the last few years - I think I've finally realized that isn't worth it. This year I tried the Horizon Organics lowfat eggnog, it is pretty good. I'm somewhat craving the full fat, though. I do put ground nutmeg and cinnamon on top of any I drink, even the silk nog. My dad used to spike his with white lightning - I have fond memories of drinking that with him.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #29

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
No holiday should require a month of preparation for "meeting the standards."
Screw the standards, I say! I've been working on this my whole life, and it's liberating to realize you really don't have to keep up with the Joneses or anyone else. Some people love decorating for holidays, but I don't -- so I don't do it! Same goes for holiday parties, sending out cards, and spending extravagant sums of money on gifts for the neighbour and her dog. For me and my family the holidays are short, simple and intimate. Everything I need to do will get done in the 3-4 days before Xmas.

Some of the world's most interesting people swim against the tide. The only standards worth meeting are your own, IMO.

F.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #30

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Last night I went out to sushi, had my share (1 block of cold tofu, 2 modest sized rolls of 6 and 8 each)
I would knock you out of the park in a sushi-eating contest! Right now I'm facing a dilemma. We're going out to our favourite sushi place on Friday to celebrate my son's 15th birthday. At the beginning of the week I weighed in at 144 lbs, which is over my red line, so I vowed to order only a couple of small items from the menu. This morning I was down to 140 lbs, so the all-you-can-eat option is beckoning... What to do, what to do?

F.
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.