Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Michele~right after I read your post I saw this article: http://desertstarweekly.com/2012/11/...tario-airport/. Although not exactly the same as a guide dog, service dogs should be trained to deal with airports as these dogs are.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:14 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

The continues. Now they are planning to discharge my dad from palliative care. But maybe not. They can't seem to decide how much his cancer has spread. Aren't there scans and/or x rays to determine that? Or am I missing something here?

I am weary. And getting heavier.

SIGH.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
The continues. Now they are planning to discharge my dad from palliative care. But maybe not. They can't seem to decide how much his cancer has spread. Aren't there scans and/or x rays to determine that? Or am I missing something here?

I am weary. And getting heavier.

SIGH.

Dagmar
Of course there are scans for that very reason. My oncologist orders a bone scan for me about every six months. A PET scan
would also tell of any advance.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #19  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Yes, my father had scans that told us the chemo hadn't worked and his tumor had grown.

The storm predicted for the coming week is going to stay out to sea, which is a relief, particularly for the more devastated areas around here, which are still engaged in cleanup.

I am in low spirits today. I got dressed this morning but didn't make it to the gym. I'm full of remorse over not making it to a friend's birthday party at a bar last night, where my admission would have gone for charity. It was just too much. I'm not fond of late-night weekday events, and I was wiped out. Also, I found out a colleague is upset with me for the way I tried to handle a problem for her this past week.

Today has to get better as it goes on.

Last edited by saef; 11-16-2012 at 09:24 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #20  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I had a PET scan on Monday that showed the cancer in my stomach was gone but the tumor in my esaphogus evidently isn't ready for surgery, why I did another round of chemo on Wednesday. I get injected with a radioactive dye and my scan takes 25 minutes in the tube.....another minute and I'd freak! Good thing I have just a slight issue with claustrophobia. I know this scan is quite expensive. Thank God for insurance and their ok for the scan.

I know your health care is differen't there Dagmar, could be a money issue maybe.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Gary It sounds like your situation is improving - glad to hear it!

I'm not sure what is and is not covered by OHIP (our universal health care system). I think most things related to serious illness are covered but there is my dad's age to consider. We have long lists of much younger healthier people waiting for scans.

I still would like to get some clearer idea of what exactly is wrong, even if it's just to facilitate an easier transfer to a nursing home. I do appreciate that geing shuttled around from hospital to hospital is hard for someone so old. It would help if he'd be the least bit co-operative. or even admit that he belongs in a "place for old decrepit vegetables" - his words for the nursing home.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Saef-- sorry you are feeling blue today.

Gary-- is that you as a boy scout in your avatar? Glad you are feeling up to getting on the computer a bit.

Dagmar-- hugs.

I'm not feeling at all well and am very cranky about it. Dh comes home Saturday and we are planning a Napa trip on Monday. I cannot be sick. I felt fine until yesterday evening when I started getting very achy and feeling like I have rocks in my throat. Went to bed early but still feel achy and with the rocks this morning. Many people at school have colds now but it doesn't feel like that. I had a flu shot a week ago but no reaction then..... I almost stayed home from work but couldn't do that to my classes. So, I'm here and praying I make it through the day.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #23  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Yes Michele, that's when I was a Cub Scout, about 47 years ago....when I had hair lol.

Love Napa! My niece works at a winery there.....have fun...get well!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It is cold, gray, rainy and gloomy in Northern Cal with more of the same predicted this afternoon and tonight. I want in the worst way to bake something. This kind of day seems to demand something baking in the oven. Not gonna do it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
It is cold, gray, rainy and gloomy in Northern Cal with more of the same predicted this afternoon and tonight. I want in the worst way to bake something. This kind of day seems to demand something baking in the oven. Not gonna do it.
It was raining here this morning. Made me think of soup more than baking something. Go grab a mix of beans, some meat of some sort and a can of crushed tomatoes and fix a nice hearty soup instead!

Glad to hear your chemo treatments are working, Gary. Hopefully this will be the last and you can get your surgery!

Dagmar, my knowledge of Canadian and British healthcare is that the tests and surgery are encouraged for the younger population and stridently discouraged for the elderly. My Dad was a pen pal of a relative to A.A. Milne (was it his son or a cousin, I don't know). Anyway, in the late 70's he was in failing health in England and was unable to get the treatment he needed and was bluntly told that those things are reserved for the young. Sad that that is the ideology. We have Canadians that come here every winter and they know our system. If they need treatment all they need to do is show up in the ER complaining of heart pain and they are treated without any determination of how it will be paid--that's the law here.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote