Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My SIL said that the whole house smells of mold. We're all happy Dad called the disaster clean up company because he mentioned that he was just planning on getting the pipe fixed and letting it air out itself. The disaster clean up company said it will take a minimum of four days to dry the basement out with fans and they also have a special filter fan upstairs to help with the mold spores being blown around. I'll mention the need to test for mold once everything is dry.

My old dishwasher lasted less than 8 years before it started leaking. I think it was just 6 years old. My refrigerator, however, was the one that has caused the most damage. It leaked through the wall to the living room which is behind it--it was the wet carpet that alerted me there. Lord knows how long that had been leaking (and it was the 2nd time it had happened).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

My aunt, who lived in an expensive condo building on the 19th floor, left her dishwasher running one morning and a hose burst. She came home to 2 feet of water in her condo (all the wall-to-wall carpet ruined, floors buckling, etc. ) and to two very irate neighbours who lived in the units one and two floors below. Both of them had damage because of the water in her unit. She left the water damage on all the legs of her antique wooden furniture as a reminder to never, ever do that again.

Our dishwasher here runs like a tank. Despite the noise I will not leave the house while it is running. I do leave while the washer is going as it's in the basement and located right next to a drain on a sloped floor.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #63  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

When I took some 19th century oil paintings to a conservator to get an estimate on their restoration, the conservator, a lovely wise gentleman with the air of someone who LOVES his work, said something I won't forget: "Water is the most destructive & dangerous element."

Fresh from salvaging stuff after the flood, I believed him. I didn't bring up fire or insects or sun fading.

All these stories I'm reading just affirm what he said.

Lately I hear that old Ann Peebles song going through my head a lot: "I Can't Stand the Rain."
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #64  

Default my new website

This is what DH and I came up with in about a week - our "baby"

http://dagmarpetsbf.com/

I know none of you have any business use for this so I felt comfortable posting it here (and in Chat). It showcases a lot of pets - my own, some from the past, and some currently on the bus. And it shows the first ever full length pics of me seen at 3FC.

Dagmar
Old 09-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #65  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

What happy looking dogs - and dog walker. Seems pretty special to get a walk/swim three times a week.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #66  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

What a shock, Dagmar. Seems that, in my mind, I've always pictured you as a yawning black tortoiseshell cat. And actually you're an adult person. ;-)

It's good to see all the animals as well. They are like stars known to me through a long-running TV series.

My only suggestion would be to get someone to take even more pictures of you handling the animals, rather than showing the animals by themselves. You have a really good one, but I want more. Show yourself at work. Display your services.

If you put in some case studies, that would work, too: A picture of you & an animal, and a description of how sessions with you benefited that animal. I know you do a lot of work with your dogs and are actually training them and improving their behavior as well as exercising them. Really, you are selling yourself short if you don't talk about that: "After six months, XXXX showed these improvements."

Last edited by saef; 09-15-2012 at 08:39 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am going to a tea this afternoon. Dainty little sandwiches, fancy cookies. petit fours........all about 500 calories a bite. I will have to do a lot of guesstimating and resisting.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #68  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I only have one experience with water - we have (had) a hot tub in an unheated 3-season room off our living room. One evening after a particularly nice long hot soak, DH and I were on our way back across the house, and I heard a strange noise downstairs. Went down to investigate, and discovered that the supply pipe had failed. Fortunately at the time, that end of the basement hadn't been finished off. Suddenly we'd developed an in-house waterfall! Needless to say, the rest of the night was NOT relaxing!

The electrician has completed his rough-in on the hall bath. Next step is reinforcing the studs where all the accessories get attached (towel bar, paper holder, robe hook, wall-hung vanity), and then it's time for the drywaller. On the siding, we are now just waiting for the computer renderings to be done so that we can double-check our intent on the trim color and accents. Not sure what's up with the patio doors - the distributor is bending some rules with the warranty, and I think they are being a bit quiet on it to allow me some "plausible deniability." I have ordered my new porch light fixture - and now am trying not to crave this doorbell to go with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kenroy%20Home-70286SL.jpg (14.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 021DB0040_BP2-Rapids2_COPPER__17168_zoom.jpg (36.8 KB, 7 views)
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #69  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
What happy looking dogs - and dog walker. Seems pretty special to get a walk/swim three times a week.
They all love it. My minimum is 3 times per week. I have one dog (Max the poodle) who comes out 2 times per DAY with me and most of the others are 5 times per week.

Even though I whine about the job I do love it and the pets. DH is right when he claims my job description should read "ran away and joined the circus"

Dagmar
Old 09-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #70  

DH and I went golfing this morning. DS had his alarm set for 8 AM, but was wakened by Misty who first put her head on his bed in an attempt to wake him up. When that didn't work, she went into the kitchen and "howled mournfully" as if she were missing me. He finally had to call her into his room and coax her onto his bed so he could get a little more sleep!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #71  
Chuggin' along...

Evening all,

Did I mention I love that my gym is open Saturdays again? That's rhetorical, I know I have. I started the morning with a long walk with the dog, ending on the beach, then went to the gym and did a nice weights leg workout. Emma and I have been chilling and cleaning up a bit this afternoon, and now we're roasting lots of vegetables. I'm still planning on going out with friends on the boat tomorrow so I must roast my veggies for the next several days today. I've got lots of fruit and am going to mix up a batch of trail mix for this week.

Nice website Dagmar! I agree, your charges look very happy. And they are all so cute!

Allison, is Misty still getting used to her new place and developing a routine with you guys? Sounds like maybe she isn't settled in quite yet. How old is she again?

Bargoo, it's probably too late for your tea, but I was going to tell you to just think about those jeans you just got back into. How did you do at the tea? Had a nice time with your companions, I hope.

Becky, glad to hear renovations are coming along and don't sound too painful.

I think my plans for tonight are to curl up with some Netflix or "Gone Girl" and cuddle with my dog. Such an exciting Saturday night. I enjoy staying in sometimes.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #72  

Megan~Misty is about 6 years old. I think she's settling in. Quite used to the routine at least. She still hasn't figured out the dog doors, so remembering to put her out a few times a day is an addition to my routine. Chico seems to understand that she's here to stay and I think he realizes she is feeling better as they have been playing together the way dogs do (bitey face is what we call it). He allows her to lick his face and he was actually licking her ears (his all time favorite thing to do) the other day. She is also a bit more playful with me.

Gone Girl is a great book, you'll love it!

So my day has been busy! Golf, Trader Joe's, home to put away groceries and hard boil eggs before showering. Then errands to the Vitamin Store, Sports Authority, Petco and the grocery store before picking up lunch. After lunch, DS and I scoured his closet walls, doors, drawers and carpet. He then sifted through ALL the crap that had been peed on and decided what needed to be chucked, etc. while I shampooed the carpet in my bedroom to get rid of as much of the phlegm spots from Misty as I could. Then water plants inside and out and work on several loads of laundry. I just finished making spinach and ricotta calzones for dinner and am taking a short break before feeding the dogs and making a salad. I think I need (deserve) a nap!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #73  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Thanks everyone! I am now officially old (30). I spent yesterday at an all-day outdoor career fair doing recruiting for my company and it was super exhausting. Good thing someone brought sunblock!
My birthday is the 12th, I am now 53, I have kids older than you!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #74  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Happy belated birthday Janelle, my birthday twin!
Like!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #75  
15th year in maintenance

S/C/G: 285/172/170

Height: 5'11"

Happy Birthday(s), you guys!

We once lived in an old dilapidated farmhouse that had suffered leaky plumbing in the past. I had to crawl under the floor more than once, jack it up and shore it up with blocks. Not fun! Swore after that, I'd never live in a house without a concrete foundation. We have though. When/if we ever build again that will certainly be the case.
JohnKY is offline   Reply With Quote