Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #436  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm sorry you've been dealing with so much Andrea. I hope Loki can bring some peace and happiness into your life.

My post T-day feast weight is up .4. Not too bad but I barely ate dinner and didn't eat all that much at the feast so I'm hoping it's sodium. Still a tad over my red line so I need to get moving on it.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #437  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

michele - 0.4 after a Thanksgiving feast?!?! That's unheard of. Definitely a maintenance win.

Andrea - If I had known it was your bday I would've sent a card
Old 11-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #438  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
michele - 0.4 after a Thanksgiving feast?!?! That's unheard of. Definitely a maintenance win.

Andrea - If I had known it was your bday I would've sent a card
Andrea-- me too!!

Krampus-- I agree, but if you saw how much food I passed up and how little I took, you'd be a little grumpy too. I didn't take any potatoes, bread, stuffing, meat, etc. Then I went to Bikram Yoga, so you would think I would have burned off any extra calories.... oh well...
Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #439  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Loki, the fire god? Is he ruddy or flame-colored?

And you look great in your profile picture, Andrea. Like you're surveying a view on a pine-covered mountain-top, after a good long hike. Like you own or are exhilarated by whatever you're surveying.

I have a love/hate relationship with birthdays now, but if no one noticed that I'd had one, at all, I would be invisible and unloved, and resentful, for lavishing time on other peoples' birthdays and for their apparent belief that I didn't have one and just came from Zeus' head or something.

I'm still struggling here. Up about two pounds, as I regain my ill-gotten losses from the storm.

Missed out on a friend's party last night, with the admission proceeds going to another friend's charity.

Missed my workout this morning due to inertia, low energy & depression.

Heard from my manager that a colleague is unhappy with me arbitrating a problem for her this past week with an analyst, and she is going to set up a call next week for the three of us to hash this out.

Have a tedious but important job to do today, transcribing a conference session and making it into a document.

Life just seems like one dutiful slog without many light-hearted or bright moments.

Last edited by saef; 11-16-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #440  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I thought Loki was the Trikster God.
saef, reading your job problems reminds me why I am glad to be retired. I was a manager and and have plenty of unfair complaints from disgruntled employees.
Reminds me of a plaque I saw once. The picture is of a train with a train employee ( supervisor) beside it and the saying goes....(will be bleeped out)

They don't let me drive the engine.
They don't let me ring the bell
But let the Gosh Darn thing jump the track
And see who catches ****.

Last edited by bargoo; 11-16-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #441  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loki

For some reason a lot of people seem to think "Loki" means wolf - don't know what language. I know a number of siberian huskies named Loki.

I am happy that Billie's owner has found a job (until 2015 at least) and sad that Stella will be moving to a part of Toronto that I can't include in my dogwalking service. The two labs are also good friends and Stella won't play with anyone else (she's 10 years old) so she will really miss Billie.

Stella has been with me for 6 years - I will miss her! Now I need to find a couple of other dogs soon - DH is pretty sure he's going to lose his 2 days a week by Christmas SIGH.

Dagmar - (and getting poorer by the minute)
Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #442  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Dagmar, thanks for the Wikipedia entry. I named him Loki after the "trickster" god of Norse mythology because (a) our family enjoys mythology and our boys are fans of the stories and (b) his former owner (who had named him Patches) told us that he liked to play tricks on people, like taking a small object you have just set down in order to watch the human play "fetch." We weren't big fans of his prior name, and our friend the dog trainer assured us that he would learn a new name fairly quickly.

Michele, I hear you loud and clear on the T-giving eating. Nothing makes me feel sorrier for myself than going to a party, eating literally 1/3 of what everyone else does, and knowing that it's STILL way more calories than I can afford to eat and still maintain.

I've been starting to feel more normal again, day by day. I swear, antidepressants are as physically addicting as cocaine. I think I had 2 weeks of withdrawal-induced hyper-emotionality. I will find out over the next few weeks/months if I actually still need that kind of drug or if I'm "over" it. In the meantime, I've hit my red-line (right before T-giving of course), so it's back to weight-loss mode this week. Breakfast was 1/3 c. oatmeal with artificial sweetener and some dried cherries, lunch will be chicken breast with copious amounts of salad, and dinner will be veggies, 1 c. whole grain and a turkey burger. I can do this.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #443  

Andrea, I am of Norwegian descent and have been to Norway so knew about Loki being the trickster God, I think it is a great name for your dog. Some people give their dogs name that are so ridiculous.
I eat oatmeal for breakfast sometimes and can eat it without sugar but I must have half and half on it. I can drink nonfat milk and actually like it but cereal must have half and half. If I have to have sugar on my cereal I have found I can get by on half a teaspoon, that is 25 calories.No matter what, maintenance never ends for me.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #444  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm half Swedish and the other part is mostly Norwegian!

So this "maintain through the holidays" thing seems to be working as I'm at the lowest weight since summer. Weird how when you kind of "give up" but are still conscious of what you eat you can still lose.

Golf this afternoon. I have to do the huge pre-Thanksgiving shopping this morning as there won't be much time to do anything unless it's after work and stores are more crowded after work. Can you tell I don't like crowds?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #445  

Have you all seen the skinny Matthew McConaughey? He lost weight for a role where he is depicting someone with AIDS. He said it was hard to get down to each "decade" but then the weight came off-- like it was hard to get to 160, but then easier to get to 150, etc. He is now 143. He said he has 30% less energy. He looks terrible. It has to be bad for these actors to gain and lose extreme amounts of weight for roles.

Pouring rain here. I feel somewhat better. I'm wondering if I had a delayed reaction to the flu shot I got last Sunday?? Dh comes home later today and I'm excited for him to be surprised by my bathroom paint job. I'm terrible at keeping secrets so I'm proud I didn't tell him. I think I'll be gone when he gets home so I'll see if he finds it before I return!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #446  

I saw a picture of Matthew McConaughey and he does look terrible. Tom Hanks did that once, too several years ago.
I feel very gloomy, too with the rain, it is also very windy here. I have a hard time getting going when the weather is like this. I am much more cheerful when the sun is shining.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #447  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Where is my will to get stuff done this week? I must really, really need a few days off. Every few days, I've been blowing off my extra gym sessions, just doing the daily minimum of about an hour. I'm reclaiming a few hours a week for my life, only not spending them in particularly worthy ways. Which sounds normal, except that I'm not eating less to make up for it, and also, I worry that the next step is cutting back even further. Also, because I was once so very heavy, probably I need to exercise more than the average person keeping off a slight regain. It's a slippery slope. I am worried but also feel tired by the whole enterprise.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #448  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

"I'm reclaiming a few hours a week for my life, only not spending them in particularly worthy ways."

Actually, sleeping would be a worthy way to use those hours. So would just sitting and breathing. It is not necessary to make every action of every day into a worthy enterprise with a goal of improvement! But when someone has a chance to slow down, it's sometimes hard to remember what things are simply enjoyable. And thus, the sitting and staring.

saef, do you remember a discussion on here long ago about "joyless striving"? And how that's no way to live?

I agree that you could use some time off, and not time off to "catch up on work" or "go to the gym more." Any way you could manage that? I think you probably could... after all, you managed to put your whole condo into storage during Superstorm Sandy and then get it back out again, so why not use your force of will to go on a getaway?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #449  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

michele, I just looked up skinny Matthew McConaughey and wow, that is terrifying. You can tell he's not "supposed" to weigh under probably 180 for any reason. I would say most people's "ideal" weight is the weight at which their face shows definition - but there is still life in the eyes and some fullness in the cheeks.

saef - seconding bargoo's suggestion of a getaway. Do you ever do the spa thing?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #450  
Workin' It

Good morning everyone. I'm back from a week of vacation and then a Monday of catching up at work from said vacation. Our anniversary was last week - we always take some time off and go to a cabin in the mountains for a few days. This year we decided to save money and hibernate at home. Well, that turned into what a stay at home vacation often does - logging into work, running errands, taking DSS to the doctor, etc. So not much in the way of vacation. DH has more PTO than me and is off today and tomorrow with nothing to do but enjoy the time. I'm bitterly jealous. I'm in the end phase of a major project at work so couldn't take additional time off, even though technically I have a week left to take by the end of the year or I'll lose it.

We did have a nice dinner for our anniversary. I exercised consistently last week, though ate way too much. Trying to get back in this week.

Catching up on some things that caught my eye from last week...

Andrea - I'm so sorry that no one acknowledged your birthday. I didn't realize you had a birthday last week or would have put something here. Congratulations on Loki - I hope he helps give you some peace and focus on something other than the bad that has happened the last few weeks.

Allison - I've had Siggi. Yummy, but expensive. Did I see that Trader Joe's had a version of the Iceland yogurt last time I was there?

Saef - how much do you have to exercise to feel comfortable? Is it a realistic amount or is it just pushing yourself too hard? I ask because I was exercising 1.5+ hours a day there for a long time and I just couldn't maintain that level of activity, for a lot of reasons. I slid into blowing off workouts several days a week because I was so stressed and felt like I was failing before I even started so why bother? I'm still working to find a good balance, but I know I can't let myself go back there.

Michele - glad that you are feeling better!

Dagmar - sorry for the money troubles. Is it hard to find new clients where you are?

I'm sure that there were more things, but I didn't make notes and now I can't remember. good day everyone!

Edit: I remember the other one in my head! Sheila, I'm looking at the strength standards you put up. I have to try to look at myself today instead of how I was a year ago. I've lost some strength. The turning 40 this year helps though - I move from novice to intermediate on the bench press. Somewhere between Intermediate and Advanced on the squat. Haven't looked at the rest yet. Interesting.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 11-20-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Closed Thread