Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #31  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Okay, so Dagmar, I tried the inversion pose just before going to bed last night, and was surprised at how well it worked.

And in the morning, an alternative explanation for all the fluid retention in my legs: Yes, I got my period again, after skipping it for four months.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Suffice it to say that the food choices I made this weekend were horrible and I'm paying the price for it this morning. I still have not begun to tally it all up but I know it's not going to look good.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #33  
Girl Gone Strong

Allison, I didn't even dare a weigh-in today, since I felt so unhappy and low-spirited and seeing that I had my period was enough to tell me it wasn't going to be good.

So you're not alone in your temporary scale-shirking.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I did weigh but wasn't happy with the results.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

My weight was actually down a bit today-- 124 from 125.2 yesterday. Considering all of the exercise and sweating I did, I'm not surprised.

But I did look back at my journal where I track my weight. I was wondering the last time I was under 120 which is where I prefer to be. One day in May I was 119 and then almost all of April I was under. Not since. So.... I'm trying to evaluate why that is. Dd graduated in June and we had lots of events leading up to that and a lot of travel this summer. I also quit working for Weight Watchers in May. Hmmmm.... maybe not as diligent? I had been (mostly) staying under 120 for at least a year or two so this bump up is relatively recent but seems to have "stuck". I have to decide if I care enough to try to shake it up as that probably means less food for me. I'm already getting tons of exercise so that isn't the issue.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #36  

I went back and figured calories as best as possible. It's a lot worse than I expected so the figure on the scale is right. ((sigh)) Three day weekends where we 1) go out to dinner, 2) have friends over for dinner, 3) go out for lunch (everyday) and 4) go to a holiday barbeque DO not bide well for dieting. I don't even think that keeping it at 1200 a day for the rest of the week will get me under 12,000 for the week.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #37  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Allison, I don't think I'm going to make it either. I ate some stuff over the weekend that I don't even know how to start tallying. 149.5 as a result. I think what I'm going to do is wipe the slate clean, and target 1500 per day through Friday ... and press the reset button on the 12000 on Saturday morning.

saef, perhaps the next one will be six months out? Good to know that there's a tool in the yoga box for swollen legs - I bookmarked the link. Thanks, Dagmar!

michele, your situation is the one that scares me. You and saef work so hard and are so strong ... if life were fair, you should be able to eat like teenagers. I wonder sometimes if I resist adding in significant exercise because then cutting calories won't work - it's twisted logic, I know. Maybe stress is playing a big part for you?
Old 09-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post

michele, your situation is the one that scares me. You and saef work so hard and are so strong ... if life were fair, you should be able to eat like teenagers. I wonder sometimes if I resist adding in significant exercise because then cutting calories won't work - it's twisted logic, I know. Maybe stress is playing a big part for you?
But it is partially vanity for me. I could weigh 135 and be a perfectly healthy BMI. That was my original goal but since I was able to go lower, I've wanted to stay at that lower weight. I didn't exercise much for the beginning of my weight loss journey-- the first 25 pounds or so. I do exercise most days but I do what I enjoy-- many days it is a dance class-- so I don't consider it too awful.

Yes, it would be nice to eat whatever I want without gaining. Sadly that isn't the reality and never has been for me. I was a heavy child, a heavy teenager and a heavy adult. I'm bound and determined not to be heavy again.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #39  
Workin' It

Michele - I stayed in the same range you are in for a while and I loved it, then I added some muscle weight, so I was able to be as high as 132 and still be in my size 4 clothes and look slim. Where I am now isn't a happy place. I know I've slacked off on exercise the last few months, but my diet hasn't been horribly different. I'm pretty down on myself over it.

Saef - that inversion pose is wonderful. Glad you enjoyed your hotel break! That sounds lovely.

Allison - my three day weekend was hard, too.

Dagmar - welcome back!

Andrea - I struggle with the 'eat this, not that' but do pretty well with only eating half and boxing up the rest for home. I don't feel as cheated that way.

to everyone else!

Weight up this morning - forgot to weigh, I can just feel it.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 09-04-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #40  

Sheesh...

-3158.4 Saturday
-1847.8 Sunday
-1512.9 Monday
=5480.9 (which equates to about 1300 per day for the rest of the week.)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #41  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

michele, thanks for the clarification. I don't begrudge anyone their "vanity" - there is a lot of joy and confidence that comes from being the best you you can be. Vanity for yourself is different than perfecting an image to show other people (IMO), as there's no way to "win" with the latter. It's like every other venue - there will always be somebody smarter, faster, prettier, thinner, funnier, stronger ... yadayadayada.

shannon, humans are omnivores. We can get by on lots of different types of food. Some fuel the machine more cleanly than others. Don't beat yourself up - things are cyclical and this pendulum will swing back too.

148.5; the weekend is firmly in the rearview mirror. I only hit 858 calories yesterday. Sometimes after a few days of dietary debauchery, I just don't feel like chewing any more. Yesterday was that day.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #42  
Girl Gone Strong

Yes, I did weigh in this morning. I'm up to 149, which I hated to see but accepted with some grace, as some of that is clearly fluid retention due to hormones at work. (That would be a great sign to stick by my desk at work, BTW: Caution: Hormones at Work.) My ankles were a bit less puffy last night. I need to make time for the yoga inversion pose before bedtime as I can see that it does me good.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #43  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Hi y'all! Anyone remember me?

I am stepping out of lurkdom because I have been a bad maintainer. I went to my 30th high school reunion in June and then *bam* gained 10 pounds in the span of about a month.

I am ready to recommit to my SEC diet (stop. eating. crap.) and would love to join you guys again. :-)

ps - We adopted a dog since I was here last. Is this the thread where I can talk about her, or is that the general chat?

eta - When I posted that I saw that my ticker says I weigh 129! Uh, yes, it has been a while ...

Last edited by WardHog; 09-05-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: added something
Old 09-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #44  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardHog View Post
Hi y'all! Anyone remember me?

I am stepping out of lurkdom because I have been a bad maintainer. I went to my 30th high school reunion in June and then *bam* gained 10 pounds in the span of about a month.

I am ready to recommit to my SEC diet (stop. eating. crap.) and would love to join you guys again. :-)

ps - We adopted a dog since I was here last. Is this the thread where I can talk about her, or is that the general chat?

eta - When I posted that I saw that my ticker says I weigh 129! Uh, yes, it has been a while ...

Of course we remember you!! (And we're friends on FB!)

Sorry you had to join us here, but hey, it happens to the best of us, right? I swear I thought you were a lot younger than I am, but I just had my 30th last summer! Maybe it's because your kids are younger than mine.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

WardHog, Welcome back ! I would love to hear all about your dog come on over to Maintainers Weekly chat and tell us all.
Closed Thread