Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #346  
No description available.

Kitty! to you and your family and all the people you take care of! I was reading about NYU Hospital! What a nightmare.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #347  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Glad to hear you are well, Kitty! I need to jump to another board to find out how the many people there are doing.

Weight this morning 152--not unusual for a weekend blip, hoping it is just a blip. Although I'm sure my dinner last night had something to do with it (spaghetti). I haven't had pasta for a long time, and although I did use more sauce than pasta, it was still a large meal for the week day.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #348  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Kitty, so glad you have checked in and that somehow, your house wasn't one of the ones chosen by a falling tree.

No idea what my weight is, but amazingly, I did not nibble all through my vigil. My mother did, and I would have joined her once, but I did not.

I can see my abs pretty well, except for the usual loose skin, so I'm doubtless at one of my lower weights. But you know what? This is so very low on my list of concerns today ...
Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #349  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

kitty and saef - thanks for letting us know you are okay!

It is good to know there's something a little more important than what the "random number generator" comes up with.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #350  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Well, at least I have a functioning sink in The Bathroom That Will Not Finish (Die). The plumbers managed to lose the decorative sink overflow screen during their cleanup, and the toilet supply line has a slow, weepy leak which will require a second visit - which was after they finished cleaning up the torrential leak caused by the apprentice hooking it up wrong the first time. If nothing else, I now know for sure that the flooring seams are indeed waterproof. Oh, and the toilet seat is missing the installation hardware - a package that costs about $2, is not stocked ANYWHERE, and apparently can't be shipped for less than $8 in fees.

Clean, sensible eating was nowhere in sight, and neither were the lower scale numbers. Live, learn, move on.

While I was looking at my tiny irritation of a water event, I wondered how/if I would react to something much more devastating, like two major storms a year apart. Very hard to think about, and yet it's hard to think about anything else. I hope the cleanup progresses quickly.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #351  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Well, at least I have a functioning sink in The Bathroom That Will Not Finish (Die). The plumbers managed to lose the decorative sink overflow screen during their cleanup, and the toilet supply line has a slow, weepy leak which will require a second visit - which was after they finished cleaning up the torrential leak caused by the apprentice hooking it up wrong the first time. If nothing else, I now know for sure that the flooring seams are indeed waterproof. Oh, and the toilet seat is missing the installation hardware - a package that costs about $2, is not stocked ANYWHERE, and apparently can't be shipped for less than $8 in fees.

Clean, sensible eating was nowhere in sight, and neither were the lower scale numbers. Live, learn, move on.

While I was looking at my tiny irritation of a water event, I wondered how/if I would react to something much more devastating, like two major storms a year apart. Very hard to think about, and yet it's hard to think about anything else. I hope the cleanup progresses quickly.
So, tell me where did you find The Three Stooges Plumbing Firm ?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #352  
Recovering Pantry Pest

bargoo, It's been a good experience working with all of these different contractors. It's taught me a lot about putting things in writing up front, being clear about what I want, and I've gained a lot of confidence in my own skills to handle these jobs that we have spent a godawful amount of money having done. You know, I *expect* to screw up certain things when I take it on myself, and I build in that extra time to the project. What I am learning is that the PROS are doing the same damn thing, only they're charging me 90-120/hour to do it. Sure, they may have a lot more experience, and they may be able to get all the right parts to the job on the first try, but they're going to end up going back and doing stuff over just as often as I do - or even more, because they are overconfident and not obsessively careful. It's the f'ing ATTITUDE that's driven me bananas - neither the plumber nor the electrician listened when I described what I wanted or looked at the components that I'd purchased ahead of time.

I could keep ranting, but it's more productive to explicitly journal the Things Gone Right and Things Gone Wrong. Once we financially recover from this and the siding project, we will have to tackle our much larger master bathroom, and I need to make sure I don't block any of these memorable moments.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #353  
Girl Gone Strong

Finally got on the scale, as part of my project to resume a normal routine, even if I must do so within empty rooms.

I'm at 140.4, which means five pounds down in less than five days.

I would not recommend undergoing a historic natural disaster as an eating and exercise plan.

I know the weight will come back on, anyway, as I dropped low during our salvage operations last August.

I guess I'm recording it as a curiosity, and as a reminder that when I have a lot to think about, am under major stress, and don't eat much, my weight goes down. When I am under the usual constant, day-to-day tension, I eat, and my weight goes up.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #354  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Saef, Congrats on the scale .... but what a hellish way to do it! I hope things return to normal for you quickly.

Anyone have a reset button I can borrow? I'm having counterproductive tendencies and need a swift kick. Please?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #355  

saef, what you have been through the last two years I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
Congratulations on coming through stronger than ever.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #356  
Girl Gone Strong

Bargoo, thanks.

139.9 today, which is my low for the year.

Furniture movers just returned nearly all my stuff to my apartment. A few things are still missing, like my Aeron chair, which probably got mixed in with my neighbor's stuff in the storage unit, and my vacuum and the TV set, which a friend came by & took when I was desperate since my mother's van was full.

Just waved goodbye to my mother. She'll stop in Pennsylvania to visit my aunt, who had a stroke three weeks back but bounced back rapidly, though with bouts of high blood pressure.

I should feel relieved. Even elated. I don't. I feel sick. I can't remember how long it took me last September to regain some sort of equilibrium after I actually was flooded out. My home & belongings were not devastated this time but -- I am trying not to be dramatic here but I want to speak the truth -- it feels as if I had been. Though not certainly compared to the drowned & burned-out neighborhoods. But still, it feels like it.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #357  

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Bargoo, thanks.

139.9 today, which is my low for the year.

Furniture movers just returned nearly all my stuff to my apartment. A few things are still missing, like my Aeron chair, which probably got mixed in with my neighbor's stuff in the storage unit, and my vacuum and the TV set, which a friend came by & took when I was desperate since my mother's van was full.

Just waved goodbye to my mother. She'll stop in Pennsylvania to visit my aunt, who had a stroke three weeks back but bounced back rapidly, though with bouts of high blood pressure.

I should feel relieved. Even elated. I don't. I feel sick. I can't remember how long it took me last September to regain some sort of equilibrium after I actually was flooded out. My home & belongings were not devastated this time but -- I am trying not to be dramatic here but I want to speak the truth -- it feels as if I had been. Though not certainly compared to the drowned & burned-out neighborhoods. But still, it feels like it.
Of course you feel like you have been through **** because you have. You are not belittling anyone else's tragedy at all, you have your own to cope with. You have done remarkably well , in my eyes, I don't think I could have handled it nearly as well.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #358  
Girl Gone Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
saef, what you have been through the last two years I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
Congratulations on coming through stronger than ever.
Okay, I actually thought about this & who was writing it, and why I didn't immediately respond affirmatively.

Wait a minute ... what **I** have been through?

**You're** undergoing chemo. And so is Gary.

My fears are all about stuff. Stuff, and my much-clung-to routines that make up my life. Though this all came under threat, I have it all back, pretty much.

My life was vaguely imperiled, well I suppose, if I hadn't made motel reservations last Thursday, and I'd gone out during the storm (which I would never do, not if it wasn't a medical emergency) and if I'd been simply unlucky about being near a large tree. That's a big stream of ifs. I was scared by that awful wind which sounded like a train coming through but I was in a good place to weather it out.

In the grand scale of things, I am so much more fortunate than these people I was seeing on TV & reading about in the Times.

Bargoo, let's just say at Thanksgiving there is much to give thanks for.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #359  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Let's just say it's not a contest to see who is more deserving of compassion... we all are deserving, and we all have reasons to be grateful.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #360  
No description available.

Saef, you might be a little PTSD-ish from Irene. It's ok to contemplate your stresses. It does not diminish the respect and thoughts you have for others' stresses. Although it is also good to count your blessings at the same time. Don't you love all of the free advice around here?
Closed Thread