Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I wonder if, since implants seem to be the new "big thing" in dentistry, dentists are recommending them to get some practice installing them? Maybe good to ask for second and third opinions before springing for something that expensive?

Dagmar
Old 09-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #212  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Thought I'd check in. And officially change my profile weight since I'm finally reliably back under my redline (yay).

Life's been challenging for the last few weeks. I had repeat surgery on Sept. 7th (same surgery as last year, which didn't take) and spent 2 weeks at home recovering. At the same time, my parents were in town (ostensibly to help me, but also requiring great amounts of attention and not a little stress), and the Jewish High Holy Days occurred, with all of the attendant planning, child care and eating (believe it or not, for a day of fasting, Yom Kippur usually involves a lot of calories before and after). Phew. Finally back to work and feeling better although I'm not allowed to exercise strenuously for another few weeks.

And speaking of exercise, there's this: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...r-weight-loss/

Saef, I especially thought of you when I read this article. Could it be that by pushing yourself as hard as you have, and eating intuitively, you are unconsciously compensating for all those calories you burn? If reducing daily exercise to 30 min. a day allows you to cut back on portions without causing you to feel like you're starving, you may end up ahead, calorie-wise.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #213  

Interesting idea re moderate exercise vs hard. I can't change the amount of exercise I do - work is mostly my exercise and it is pretty constant. I found that, when I was trying to stay under 1500 cals per day, I was starving all the time and binge eating more often. When I upped that to 1800 the binge eating mostly stopped and I lost a bit of weight. Same sort of idea as the blog - moderation tends to produce better results.

And in the midst of all this drama with my father I have been under red line for 2 weeks. That hasn't happened in over a year. I think part of it is that I'm so stressed and exhausted in the evening I'm falling asleep before I get a chance to eat in front of the TV. Silver lining and all that . . .

Dagmar
Old 09-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #214  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

That article was very interesting. I walk for exercise during the warm months. I go for an hour at a moderate pace. Running messes up my knees, in addition to other problems. That's what I did for my exercise when I lost weight. But around here it's cold between October and April, and at some point during the winter I always quit. I've tried exercise videos but I just can't stand them. I like to push myself to whatever is the maximum I can do that day vs what other people are doing. I really like my walk because once I get out the door, I don't have to worry about motivation (aka staying on the treadmill) because I have a loop route and I just follow it until I'm done.

During the warm months I take my kids with me - the youngest in the stroller and the older two on bikes. When it's cold, I can't take the kids along so I have to go first thing in the morning. This morning it was 41 degrees when I left for my walk. I wasn't cold while I was out there. In fact, I shed a few layers once I got going. Then when I got back I took a hot shower. But then I was cold, just cold, cold, cold. I hate that. I drank some tea and seem to be fine now, but I remember being cold for what seemed like forever when I tried walking first thing in the morning. Later in the day, I simply don't have the energy (or opportunity).

So now we're facing winter again and I'm pondering what I'm going to do for exercise. I don't want to buy some kind of machine or join a gym. I have accumulated clothes that keep me warm - that was a challenge when I first lost weight. But I just dread winter because exercise becomes such a challenge. Maybe I'll just focus on 30 minutes of something, even if it's weight lifting and no cardio. Then during the warm months I'll do more cardio.

Again, I think I need to let my standards down a little. Do some form of exercise even if it isn't as much as I *think* I need.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #215  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
Saef, I especially thought of you when I read this article. Could it be that by pushing yourself as hard as you have, and eating intuitively, you are unconsciously compensating for all those calories you burn? If reducing daily exercise to 30 min. a day allows you to cut back on portions without causing you to feel like you're starving, you may end up ahead, calorie-wise.
I read this also and wondered the same thing, Nuerodoc. After an hour with weights, and cardio, there is this ravenous hunger that comes on me a few hours later. It's real and impossible to ignore. I feed it with protein. I joke that I could tear a whole rotisserie chicken apart with my bare hands at those moments.

There are two complicating factors for me.

One is that I'm one of the "reduced obese." I was more than 100 pounds overweight for almost 20 years. Does that modify permanently one's metabolic workings, even after one has lost weight? I have seen reports elsewhere that reduced obese are a special case in some respects and have to put in (quite unfairly) twice the work in physical exercise to keep their weight down. I wish I had citations for you. I don't want to shift the onus from me and my current efforts onto my condition, but that may account for something here.

The other is that I may not mind the slight overweight as much as I used to because I don't think all of it represents fat. I've had some muscle gains. It's hard for me to see, looking at myself all the time as I do, but those who see me at the gym after my absence say it is visible in my back, shoulders and arms and the shape of my legs, and also a bit in my butt. The scale isn't saying anything about that. Also I find my aesthetic ideal has changed a little. I look at women whom once upon a time, I envied, and find them thin, yes, but weak-looking. And they labor visibly with weights in my circuit training class that I think are easy to handle. So my goal has been modified by all this exercise and exposure to heavy exercisers. The scale is really important to me but I waver back & forth over how I feel about it.

I may be sanguine today because I've got a nearly three-pound drop in weight from Wednesday. Almost surely this has to do with my snacks -- of which I've been deprived to some extent while not working from home -- and the timing of digestive and elimination workings, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by saef; 09-28-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #216  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Flyby today.

I have had a whoosh - 1.6 down from last week. That gives me an average of about 1/3 of a pound per week, over the 12 weeks. Now, as always, the challenge is to maintain that loss. It seems to be working, so I'm not going to change anything up, food wise.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #217  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Becky, if it works don't fix it.
saef, I am a believer if the scale goes down, that is a good thing, doesn't matter why.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #218  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I hope everyone is faring well. I am heavier than I want to be but also stronger and I am turning into one of those people who flexes in the mirror at the gym and LIKES it. I'm sorry for falling behind with personals but I have been following everyone.

My uncle had a psychotic episode and turned himself into the police, and was placed in a state psychiatric facility for six days. No one was surprised but I can't say we saw this coming either. He was present when his father committed suicide and did not try to stop him, so my dad thinks he has been suppressing strong feelings related to that for a while. I am glad the stigma of mental illness is becoming less and less - imagine a time when something like this would bring shame to a family and near damnation for the individual?! Now we are all just level-headedly hoping he can get the help he needs and no one is whispering.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #219  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Oh Krampus. That does sound hard. You are right about there being so much less stigma these days. I know the mental illness issues of many of my co-workers and friends, and years ago it would have been hidden.

I grew up in an abusive household with a mentally ill mother. I know that many of our neighbors and my friends parents had a good idea of what was going on. No one ever called CPS or did anything that I'm sure would have been done today.

And by the way, Krampus-- I'm so proud of you for stopping smoking. I'm glad you have been able to stick with it-- how long has it been?
Old 09-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #220  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Thanks so much michele - 3 months but I still vape e-cigarettes at night most nights so I feel like I am "cheating" at quitting.

You have made what sounds like a great life for yourself coming out of a tough start - turning the other cheek to something you know is wrong is kind of the same as accepting or condoning it. Having a more open society raises some issues but I think overall it's leaps and bounds better than everyone being hush-hush and pretending problems don't exist.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #221  

krampusI hope they can help your uncle and I'm glad he was able to recognize his problem and act on it positively.

Mental illness is a really hard thing to overcome. Most people don't regard or admit that certain things - depression for instance - are mental illness for fear of being stigmatized. This can mean being denied a job, housing, tuition, etc.

It is getting easier these days to recover from and admit to having a mental illness. My cousin's wife's twin sister had major major depression for several years. She was tried on at least 70 different types of meds before finding the combo that worked for her. She was out of work for those years but was able, thanks in part to strong advocacy from her family, to find a good job after recovering.

In the past she probably would have wound up in a facility or even out on the streets.

Dagmar
Old 09-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #222  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

I think it's great that society is kinder to those with mental illness. I've been treated for depression a couple times, but it is mild enough that I've figured out how to treat it on my own, which I might not have been able to do were it not something people were willing to talk about. I hope your uncle recovers now that he's been able to address the issue, krampus.

Well, the scale has held steady for me all week - 157.8, 157.6, 157.4, 157.6...but this morning I checked in at WW and "lost" 6.6 pounds since I checked in last Saturday. Granted, I did take off my sweater and my shoes before weighing in, and I hadn't eaten breakfast yet. But it is always nice to have some encouragement, especially when the scale at home has stalled out. I need to lose 1.6 pounds before next Saturday in order to not have to pay for a full-price monthly pass. I've been good for four days now, and it's the weekend when I use my extra points so I have a respite. The plan is to get back OP Monday and do so all week. I've found that using my extra points on the weekends is just as important as staying OP during the week. Hopefully that strategy still works and I can loose those 1.6 pounds before next Saturday. I was wearing jeans this morning, so I have room for losing a little there. But with fluctuations and everything I won't rest easy until I drop 4 pounds on my bathroom scale at home. My work is still cut out for me, and once I accomplish this goal, it will be on to the next.

In other news, dh answered a trivia question about his favorite sports team on the radio yesterday and won tickets to a tailgate party today. I was hoping he would take a friend so I wouldn't have to stare at food for three hours. My thought was that they could go to the tailgating party and then watch the game at a bar (he doesn't have tickets to the game). But it's a night game and he didn't want to have to fight his way through traffic after the game at 11 p.m. on a Saturday night, for which I don't blame him. So I found someone to watch the kids and I will be going with him. I have no idea what they will be serving, other than beer. It's the Miller Lite tailgate party, right next to the stadium. Don't laugh - I am taking my knitting so I have something to do with my hands besides stuff my mouth. I don't care if I look weird - I'd rather have bad looks for knitting at a tailgate party than bad looks for the fat that is rolling over the top of my jeans. Just sayin'...

Last edited by pageta; 09-29-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #223  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Good luck with the Tailgate Party. Sounds like fun but calories will be rampant, I am sure.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #224  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Well, shoot. Came in right at about 12,000 for the week. I did kind of splurge yesterday. Since DS was away for the day, DH and I went to our favorite little French cafe for lunch. I had the "usual" seafood crepe with a small side salad. And a glass of wine.

And then I made the most amazing soup for dinner. I carefully figured in all the calories in the ingredients and decided that it served 8 instead of 6 so each serving was about 300 calories. Probably rather high in fat, but it was super yummy. Spinach Artichoke Soup
Old 09-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #225  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I survived.

We were invited to a meet & greet for a candidate for city council. Walked in the door to a dining room table loaded with petit fours, mini eclairs and cream puffs, huge cookies, fudge, bowls of M&M plain and peanut. I ate two M&M peanut ONLY and had a couple glasses of ice water. I survived!
Closed Thread