Weekly chat August 27-Sept 2

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Dagmar's on vacation, I think maybe Bill is too? So good morning everyone, here is a new thread! Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone's toes creating it.
  • jessica, nope, no toes! Thanks for starting it (and reminding me that it's a new week)!

allison, Misty looks very happy to have a new, loving home! Congrats on your new addition!

michele, thanks for the update on Jozi. I'm guessing it's not too hard to convince a Lab to gain some weight. Older dogs definitely have their absorption issues. We used to put a big ole stripe of the high-calorie paste across our 14-year old Gordon Setter's dinner each night.

Megan, good luck with Isaac!

Dagmar, have a great vacation!

Big week for me - Tuesday is DS13's physical (probable confrontation with his doctor about why I didn't bother getting the cholesterol test done from last year), an electrician is coming in to quote our hall bathroom work, and Thursday we sign our contract for residing the house and get the first load of color samples. I still have to take DS shopping for school supplies too ... and decide if the re-siding job is going to include moving/adding windows on one of the shorter sides of the house, in our master bath (which also needs a major overhaul). Retreating to the potato chip bag is NOT an option!!! (repeat as necessary, about every 5 minutes).
  • Good morning!

I gave Chico his oral chemo today and am having him stay home with Misty today so I can run errands after work. Now that we're back to 2 dogs, I need to stock up on dog food!

Misty continues to be a nice addition to the family, but I do hope she gets over the kennel cough soon. She hacked up so much phlegm this morning!

You're right about older dogs not being able to absorb as well and weight gain is an issue for them. I forgot about that! Buddy was getting terribly thin as he aged, but I attributed that to him getting sick over and over.

First day of school for both my kids today and DD is coming home for the weekend. I wonder how Misty will like her cats!
  • It's definitely Monday.

I have two hour-long training sessions with a recent hire -- one in the morning, one in the afternoon.

I'm expecting ConEdison's inspectors to stop in with the superintendent, to turn on my gas stove. (FINALLY!)

I've got an appointment at 4:30 PM with my therapist, resuming our weekly sessions. Which I need. This will likely become a standing appointment.

Also, I've decided I need to check in with the furniture restorer sometime today, as I have left him alone for two weeks now. The last time I made contact, he promised to bring me a small table on the following day, then, when that day came, never showed up, and never called to say he wasn't able to make it. I am steeling myself for that call. I need to be pleasant but firm.

I've also got a busy Wednesday, with two medical appointments on the same day: My mammogram in the morning and my yearly physical in the afternoon. Also, sometime in the middle of that day, I need to fit in yet another training session with that recent hire.

What this all means is that I'll be grateful for a three-day weekend by the time Friday arrives.
  • Hi everyone!

Hope you don't mind a newbie jumping in!

I seem to be holding pretty steady at 119 which was my original goal. However, I would like to drop a couple more as a buffer zone. I am still trying to figure this maintenance thing out, especially how many calories to eat.

I see my doctor this week. I had my blood drawn last week and am anxious to see what the labwork says. Last June when I saw him, I was about 75 pounds heavier and my cholesterol was 200. So I'm hoping for better numbers this time!!

Hope everyone has a great Monday!

Jen
  • Jen, welcome ! We are at about the same place I am at 119.8 and want to drop just a few more pounds. My weight loss is not nearly as dramatic as yours, though. Keep coming back !
  • Welcome Jen!

Wow! What an accomplishment! 226 pounds! You look great!
  • Hi all!

I'm holding steady, was down to 125.4 this morning after hitting the gym for the first time in a few days. This afternoon will be a tearful goodbye, seeing my good friend off on her way back to Japan for who-knows-how-long before we reunite. Followed by grocery shopping at Trader Joe's.
  • Welcome Jen!

Allison, congrats on the addition to your family!

I hope everyone's busy weeks turn out okay and that anyone in Isaac's path is staying safe. We had a relatively busy weekend -- went to a car show thing, met up with some friends, helped clean out DH's grandma's house. My city got named #1 best place to live by Money magazine! http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL1810342.html
  • Hi all. Just a quick hello from me today.
    We have a teacher inservice today and the kids return tomorrow, so much to do to get ready!

Jen-- I suspect your bloodwork will be phenomenal!!
  • Welcome Jen.
    Allison congrats on the new dog.
    Saef, I think I need a therapist!

The foster dog did not work out, way to animal aggressive. She was fine with people but wanted to kill anything with 4 legs.

After she attacked my best bud last night, all bets off, can't trust her. She was a Sheriff impound and we euthanized her this morning.

Not a road I wanted to go down, but, sometimes it just is what it is.
  • Glad to see other animal lovers on here. Janelle, I can't imagine how traumatic that was for you!

We recently rescued a starving mother cat and her 4 kittens. Hanging around her was another kitten about 3 weeks older then hers. We had a hard time catching that one and when we got him in we found him to be really disturbed. He absolutely refused to be tamed - both DH and I have tons of experience with animals and I have never had a cat - especially a kitten - actually go after me viciously like this kitten did. We found homes for 3 of the kittens, kept 1, and finaally found a home for mama cat last week. But I couldn't in good conscience give the psycho kitten to anyone. So he is now a barn cat at a relatives. Not the greatest life but...

We now have 10 cats - yes we are crazy - and 2 Boxers. Plus 9 chickens and a rooster!
  • Janelle, I am so sorry about the dog . it sounds like the situation was completely out of your control.
    CherryPie, you have a zoo, don't you? Don' t feel too bad about the barn cat, he will get all fat and sassy taking care of the rodent population.
  • Janelle-- I'm so sorry to hear that. Was your pet hurt?
  • Well, I still don't have a working stove. When the superintendent knocked yesterday, I let in the plumber, who'd reported the gas line issue so many months ago, when construction on the apartments was still ongoing. The super pulled the stove away from the wall and the plumber checked the valves & etc., then went off to write up a report to Con Edison. This report has to travel through the company, and THEN we can call to make an appointment to get the gas turned on. "They don't like to mess around with gas," the plumber said. Well, of course not, it's explosive.

Still. When construction ceased and I first checked my completed apartment on July 5th, little did I know that so many weeks later, I'd still be waiting.

We have our certificate of occupancy now. I'll need to start paying maintenance again in Sept.