Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #31  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Speaking of seasoning, Megan, I just got a bottle of Bragg's Aminos at Whole Foods. I'll report back on it. It's supposed to be like soy sauce, but lower in sodium or maybe it lacks whatever it is in soy that acts up on our female hormones. I forget what else is supposed to be so beneficial about it. But anyway, I've seen it advocated for umami flavoring. I still have to do a good Google on it to figure out how to start using it.

Bargoo, so. About the china cabinet. What did you end up getting? What does it look like? Pictures? I remember you talking about it here earlier, when I was also furniture-hunting. I myself am still puzzling out some furniture placement in the living room, which is not helped by the absence of two armchairs, one of which must be retrieved from a dealer in Arkansas who's supposed to head north at some point this fall.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #32  
Workin' It

Megan - I didn't make the run yesterday. Some stuff hit the fan at work and kept me here until after 6 and the weather was worse by the time I got out. I went home to dinner ready in the crockpot, had some wine and watched some amusing to me tv that I won't talk about due to the politics ban.

Lots of mammograms going around here it seems, Saef - I was imagining myself being posed like a robot during mine yesterday. I don't know if it made it worse or better. My tech was a tiny Indian woman - she would get me in place and walk away to take the picture saying "Deep breath, now hold it... don't breathe... don't breathe... don't breathe... you can breathe..." in a singsong voice, in a beautiful accent that cut off half of the word 'breathe' so it sounded like 'bree'. It was oddly soothing.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Hi all!

Doctor's appointment went well today. My boobs weren't mentioned at all LOL

All labs came back normal - thyroid, kidney, glucose. I was disappointed that my cholesterol was still 189. However, doc was not concerned at all - said that because my HDL is very high, my LDL is very low, and triglycerides are rock bottom, and I have no other risk factors, 189 is no problem whatsoever.

I don't exactly have heredity on my side - my dad dropped dead of a sudden heart attack at age 42 - HIS father dropped dead of a sudden heart attack at age 49 and my mother's father had heart problems....

Doctor said that with my muscle tone, he would like to see me no lower then 120. I was surprised. But he was okay if I instead stay between 115-120. My body seems to like 121 so maybe he is going to get his way! He did set me up to talk with a dietician - my insurance pays, so why not?

Blood pressure was 110/61 and "resting" heart rate was 54.

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #34  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

We missed the worst of Isaac, but the last few days and today continue to be overcast, windy/wavy on the water, and extremely humid. I'll take it over the alternative hurricane strike. The last few evenings it's been nice taking the dog out to the beach bc no one is here, so I can let her off her leash to run. She keeps sniffing all the seaweed washed up and chasing the sea foam, but my sunglasses get fogged by the salt spray in about 10 minutes. I'm having wishful thinking we're getting an early start to our fall weather, but I doubt it's really here yet. It certainly seemed dark when I got up at 7:00 this AM.

Confession: I feel really stuck in my fitness routine right now. I know I need to garner more intensity, but just can. not. push myself to do it. I should jog with the dog more... oh, I'll walk instead. Even if I can't do upper body things bc of my shoulder, I should be doing legs, glutes, abs... and am not. I am rather frustrated with myself right now and seem unable to change my behavior. I feel like I've been using mantras like "Just do it" for so long that they fall on deaf ears now.

Jen, great BP and HR! Good cholesterol #s, too. Glad everything went well with the doc. I am curious what the nutritionist has to say. After all, you seen to have the diet and exercise thing down pat.

Shannon, sounds like a nice evening. I don't use my crockpot often enough but love it when I do. Having the home cooked meal that requires no further work done when you get home, especially on a cruddy day, is so nice.

Saef, I've heard of Aminos, mostly as a sub for soy sauce in vegan cooking. Let me know how you like it. I do have a fair number of recipes that call for soy, and I use it liberally.

Have a good Thursday all.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Morning all,

Confession: I feel really stuck in my fitness routine right now. I know I need to garner more intensity, but just can. not. push myself to do it. I should jog with the dog more... oh, I'll walk instead. Even if I can't do upper body things bc of my shoulder, I should be doing legs, glutes, abs... and am not. I am rather frustrated with myself right now and seem unable to change my behavior. I feel like I've been using mantras like "Just do it" for so lon.
Megan, shoulda, coulda, woulda" I fall into that, too, in many areas. It's the old "I should, but....."
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Megan, shoulda, coulda, woulda" I fall into that, too, in many areas. It's the old "I should, but....."
Count me in as a "coulda, shoulda, woulda."
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Wow Jen! That is phenomenal. Amazing how you have turned your life around!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #38  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I'm also in the couldawouldashoulda community. It's reassuring to know I have company. The physics law is true - a body at rest tends to remain at rest. A body in motion tends to stay in motion. It requires force to get moving, and it requires force to stop - it's just rather unfortunate that the forces that cause stopping are the naturally occurring ones.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #39  
Girl Gone Strong

Megan, for me, exercise seems to be impelled by a feedback loop: I'm told that I look good, and I see and feel some results in the mirror & in the fit of my clothing, which is the positive reinforcement. And yet I'm not quite satisfied with myself and am aware this requires constant effort, so I know I'll have to work, and this motivates me to keep it up. I also know I need to change up what I do periodically and that I need aspirations.

Driving around aimlessly can be harder than heading toward a destination. Have you got a goal? Or an interest you're not pursuing?

Last edited by saef; 08-30-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #40  
Workin' It

Megan - I'm in that same loop with you. I've been telling myself, and DH, that I need to do this or that and haven't done it for so long that no one is listening anymore. I need to find a different way to communicate it.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #41  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I need to find a different way to communicate it.
Yes! Well put. That is exactly what I need to figure out how to do. If you figure it out first... let me know!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #42  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

saef, I have a good friend who swears by the amino acids and loves the flavor. He eats his on salads, and drizzled on baby potatoes, in BBQ sauce, on veggies ... he says it can go anywhere balsamic vinegar goes, only better.

shannon, kudos for finding a positive spot in the mammo. Wishing you a perfect outcome!

Jen, congrats on the great results! You have an absolutely amazing story. I'm guessing that you may be able to teach the dietician a few things.

megan, I love that fall tease. When I leave the house at 6am, there's just a bit of crispness in the air. A few trees are beginning to get some hints of color change. DS13 said it "would be a great time to start running again, Mom." Ugh ... and ... he's right. He offered to show me some of the parkour moves he knows. (google parkour if you haven't heard of it. )

We signed the re-siding contract last night and wrote the down payment check. Threw in a new front door and added an extra window too. What the heck, it's only money, right? I didn't sleep too well. It is comforting to know that the contractor regards this as a major project and can already give me names and phone numbers for the managers assigned, and that their most experienced siding crew (of 10 crews) will be used. I am not an anxious person, and I'm confident this will be done as well as it can be done ... but it's a major life event.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #43  
Girl Gone Strong

On the phone with Con Edison, wanting to cry, because I am so frustrated. Apparently the flood and my shutting down my service and the death of our apartment complex's metering system when it was inundated wiped out any records whatsoever of this address having had an account there. So I am trying to work with a representative to set up an appointment for an inspection at an address they say does not exist -- and never existed. Even as I am holding the last bill for it in my hand. (Glad I kept that, but it's not helping.)

I said, "Look, this apartment complex has been here since 1927. Over 400 people live here. We all use Con Edison. You've got to have records somewhere. The plumber said he has submitted his report that the gas line is okay. Sorry, I cannot get off the phone till this is resolved and I have an appointment set up and acknowledgment that the address exists and can get service."

It's been 30 minutes now on the phone and counting ... the service representative is very nice but having trouble locating the trouble ticket (or whatever they would call it) and routing my inquiry.

Last edited by saef; 08-31-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
On the phone with Con Edison, wanting to cry, because I am so frustrated. Apparently the flood and my shutting down my service and the death of our apartment complex's metering system when it was inundated wiped out any records whatsoever of this address having had an account there. So I am trying to work with a representative to set up an appointment for an inspection at an address they say does not exist -- and never existed. Even as I am holding the last bill for it in my hand. (Glad I kept that, but it's not helping.)

I said, "Look, this apartment complex has been here since 1927. Over 400 people live here. We all use Con Edison. You've got to have records somewhere. The plumber said he has submitted his report that the gas line is okay. Sorry, I cannot get off the phone till this is resolved and I have an appointment set up and acknowledgment that the address exists and can get service."

It's been 30 minutes now on the phone and counting ... the service representative is very nice but having trouble locating the trouble ticket (or whatever they would call it) and routing my inquiry.
Upward referral ! Ask for a supervisor, and if that doesn't help ask for their supervisor, in a very pleasant voice of course. I worked for a Public Utility for years and I soon learned that those who asked for my supervisor got action. The agent only has so much they can do, they are limited as to what they can offer. The manager is going to want it all to go away and will tell his subordinates "Take care of this".

Last edited by bargoo; 08-31-2012 at 10:40 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post

Dear God! Patience and calmness are in order, and I agree with bargoo, ask for a supervisor.

I think I'm going to take Misty to the vet today. She still isn't getting over her kennel cough and she finished her 10 days of antibiotics yesterday. I want their opinion on how she's doing. Meanwhile, I did get verbal confirmation that she is heartworm negative and she doesn't have intestinal parasites, so that's all good.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote