Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #61  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

She is a black dobie.

On the well issue, DH knows how to do all this and we don't have the $5 or 6k to have a well company come and do all this. It's not that it's so complicated just a ton of labor. Dig new trenches, lay new water line, pull both wells, make the proper adaptations to equipment, electrical and hook up.

It'll be lots of exercise, in and out of trench, shovel this, scoop that, pack pipe, etc.

A pic of the foster dog. I was out in the garden, don't have a fenced yard, and since I'm afraid she'd take off, she is tied up, 10' swivel cable.

http://
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

She's a pretty girl. I used to do some pet sitting, one of my fvorites was a black, male dobie. His name was Jake and he was a sweetheart. I have some great stories about Jake.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Aww, she's a pretty dog! And it sure sounds like you've got your work cut out for you, Janelle! Good luck getting it done. Bovine anthrax--never heard of that one. Does it spread between the cattle--and does it get into our food supply (you know, like mad cow disease)?

Stupid me. I downloaded A Dog's Purpose and was reading it last night. I'm about 3/4 done but it made me cry so bad my eyes are all puffy this morning!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #64  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Anthrax is spread by spores that live in the soil. What's happening here is it's so dry, the cattle are grubbing what little grass there is down to the nubbins and disturbing soil that hasn't been disturbed in years. Then they breathe in the spores and get anthrax. For the most part it does not spread from cow to cow. It also does not get into the food supply as the cattle die within a few days, and the carcasses are being put in a BIG hole, burned and then buried.

We finally agreed for a name for the dog, Zeeva.

I'm off this Saturday, so time for a good, long workout!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Thanks Janelle--that explains it.

It's going to be a quiet day for me. I have only one errand to run--Trader Joe's and then the rest of the day will be leisurely. I may suggest that DS and I do a little back to school shopping. I know he needs a new backpack.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #66  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

My field work had been trickling off in the first week of August and I was starting to feel a little more human, then this past week was terrible. In the sun all day every day working, despite drinking tons of water and gatorade I felt like I'd been beat up. Back to "survival mode". This coming week should only be 2.5 days in the sun, unfortunately in a row, and I'm going to scream if someone tries to pile more field work on top of it. It isn't happening. It is August in Florida - it's really hot and humid!

Project "get the most nutritional bang for your buck" is going fairly well despite the insanity of last week. I did this crazy thing today and actually used the calorie counting app I had downloaded to my ipad a few weeks ago. I am trying to get a bit more familiar w it today since I actually have some free time, so it will be easier to use during the week. Unfortunately bringing my ipad on the boat/letting it sit in a hot car just seems like a bad idea, so it will stay at home for now, but maybe I can get better about calculating the night before, since I do usually plan and pack what I will eat anyway. My gym will also re-open on Saturdays after Labor Day weekend, which I'm very excited about.

My dog both wears tags and is microchipped. She tends to lose her tags and I just can't find a good ring/clip that stays on her collar to keep her tags there, and I know that a microchip isn't foolproof, but I figure I will go at it from all sides and hopefully something will work if she ever gets lost.

shcirerf, cute dog! I'm sure you will be able to help this one get socialized and find a good home.

Allison, I agree, you need to distance yourself from that landlord stat. I'm sure even if you got the space next to your rented (which is ridiculous that it is your responsibility), they will just demand something else unreasonable from you. I've rented all of my 20's and have learned it is amazing what a landlord will do for a tenant who pays their rent in full in a timely fashion. My current landlord has lowered my rent multiple times (actually not at my request! she just "appreciates" me), and has allowed me to get a dog even though the house was originally advertised as "no pets".

Hope everyone is doing well and staying cooler than me.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #67  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I feel not just low in spirits, but downright depressed today.

At the antique show, well, it was just an antique show. I came home with a few nice things, but nothing spectacular. And was reminded constantly of the two things that I just let my mother throw out, because of the cost of getting them restored. I came home feeling lower & lower, and even going to bed and sleeping it off didn't help. This morning, when I got up, after breakfast, I felt downright flattened. I went back to bed.

But I made it to the gym, though not till nearly 10 AM, and now I am back, showered, dressed. I'm in the mood to lie about with magazines and bad TV and lick my wounds.

Maybe I'll head back downstate a day earlier than planned. Maybe it was too soon to come back Upstate for a visit, just when I was precariously re-established. But I needed a break, and right now my apartment is less than comfortable and relaxing.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #68  

Thanks all for your encouraging words. I gained 3 pounds after going to a restaurant Monday, but now I've gotten back on the horse and am slightly below the weight I was the day before the restaurant visit!
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Aww, she's a pretty dog! And it sure sounds like you've got your work cut out for you, Janelle! Good luck getting it done. Bovine anthrax--never heard of that one. Does it spread between the cattle--and does it get into our food supply (you know, like mad cow disease)?

Stupid me. I downloaded A Dog's Purpose and was reading it last night. I'm about 3/4 done but it made me cry so bad my eyes are all puffy this morning!
Great Book! I loved it!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #70  

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I feel not just low in spirits, but downright depressed today.

At the antique show, well, it was just an antique show. I came home with a few nice things, but nothing spectacular. And was reminded constantly of the two things that I just let my mother throw out, because of the cost of getting them restored. I came home feeling lower & lower, and even going to bed and sleeping it off didn't help. This morning, when I got up, after breakfast, I felt downright flattened. I went back to bed.

But I made it to the gym, though not till nearly 10 AM, and now I am back, showered, dressed. I'm in the mood to lie about with magazines and bad TV and lick my wounds.

Maybe I'll head back downstate a day earlier than planned. Maybe it was too soon to come back Upstate for a visit, just when I was precariously re-established. But I needed a break, and right now my apartment is less than comfortable and relaxing.
saef, you had a cruel thing happen to you last year. I'm wondering, have you gotten mad, I mean damn mad where you scream, and yell, cry and stamp your feet and tear your hair. and yell it's not fair . Sure you have a newly renovated apartment and new appliances and antiques but this was not by your choice it was thrust upon you. Not giving medical advice but sometimes an old fashioned tantrum clears the air.

Last edited by bargoo; 08-21-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #71  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Bargoo, no, I haven't had a good tantrum at fate or the universe or global warming or the developers who paved over the wetlands further upstream or whoever or whatever force it was that caused that flood. Maybe I should try it.

I did tell my mother, in despair: "This just goes on and on and on ..."

She thinks one ought to be, not just stoical, but cheerful, no matter what.

"Think positive," she told me.

But I am the soul of negativity sometimes. And it has on occasion served me well. (After all, if I'd thought positively when Hurricane Irene was forecast, I wouldn't even have saved my jewelry and I wouldn't have been sitting in a motel room, rather than my apartment, when it filled up with water.)

It feels good to talk with other ground-floor residents who have also been displaced. They understand my feelings quite well. We all need group therapy, probably, but we've all got separate jobs and lives, which we try to keep going. And some of us aren't on the property as they are refusing to move back -- they're renovating but planning to sell, and staying in whatever places they moved into after the flood.

One piece of good news. My next-door neighbor, who shares the gas lines, knocked on my door to tell me tonight: ConEd may finally turn on the gas for our respective stoves next Monday. We've been waiting since July 5th.

All I want to do is roast a chicken in an oven. And a tray full of vegetables. And put something on a front burner. It's a fairly modest desire, no?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #72  

Janelle-- great name! Glad I'm not closer or I might be tempted to adopt her.

Saef-- I hope you're feeling less despondent. You will certainly enjoy the first meal you cook in your oven!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #73  

saef, if group therapy with your neighbors is not possible, how about a get together with those of you who have had this same experience? A potluck with your first floor neighbors or the chicken and roast vegies sounds yummy. Being with people who understand because they have gone through it might bring some relief.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #74  

Insomnia....sigh....
I can't take allergy or cold meds with "D" in them. I've been taking Allegra D 12 hour in the morning and not having any issues. I ran out and they only had the 24 hour Allegra D. I took it two days in a row and haven't slept in 2 days. I'm not taking it again! I took a Zyrtec today instead so hopefully that works.

This morning I have a staff retreat with teambuilding, breakfast, etc. Rather than going in so early, I don't have to leave until 8:15. I thought I would sleep in. I guess not.