3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Weekly Chat June 18 - June 24 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/261240-maintainers-weekly-chat-june-18-june-24-a.html)

BillBlueEyes 06-18-2012 05:57 AM

Maintainers Weekly Chat June 18 - June 24

The plants and trees believe it's summer, which makes it so pleasant to sit on our patio and savor our small, city-sized yard. However, the temperatures of late have been unseasonably chilly; so much so that dinner last night was prepared on the charcoal grill outside - first time for the season - and eaten in the warmth of our kitchen.

We could still look out the window and see the American Robins using the bird bath.

Mudpie 06-18-2012 06:59 AM

Good Morning!

The SUP board is finally at the club. :yay: DH even helped me replace a part that had gone missing and installed the skeg on the board for me. I go out on my first paddle next Saturday around 7 a.m. - can't wait!

Hazy, hot and humid here this week. Lots of BBQ and salad dinners - easy for DH to eat leftovers when he rolls in.

Good week all!

Dagmar :dance:

saef 06-18-2012 09:44 AM

It's overcast today after a truly glorious weekend, which must have been a real gift for graduation parties and Father's Day cookouts. But I am fine with the slight grayness because it's like a period of rest when you're allowed to be inside, rather than mowing the lawn or gardening or running or basking or whatever.

Here's the little desk that I bought over the weekend. (It's only 28 inches wide.) Right now it's in my mother's garage with an old tablecloth over it, to spare it from dust.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/ANTIQUE-EMPIR...7DhQ~~60_3.JPG

Underneath the three drawers, you'll see the top board is very thick. This is true of all antique furniture: Thick, unlaminated boards because of the plentiful trees and lumber. This actually pulls out and becomes a writing surface just wide enough to hold my laptop.

This was probably made for a particular lady back in the 1840s. She would have used it in her bedroom or in a sitting room. She would not have been poor.

krampus 06-18-2012 10:29 AM

I'm going to try and keep up this week. Been falling behind.

Today is colder than the flawless ~80 F weekend. My boyfriend bought fancy oatmeal stout beer for my dad for Father's Day, which is sort of ironic/funny/sad because his dad is in AA (and brought us to the "sober club" once to see a weird 12-step-touting band with a super flamboyant female singer).

saef, that desk is amazing!

alinnell 06-18-2012 10:37 AM

The heat has descended on the desert. I believe we're looking forward to 113 today and it won't let up for the rest of the week. Yesterday we switched from our evaporative cooler to our A/C which means I got a horrible night's sleep. Even with the thermostat set fairly low (76), I got too hot and yet it wasn't warm enough for the unit to kick on so I couldn't sleep. And of course when it does kick on, then I get too cold. Fighting an upset tummy that the bad night's sleep brought on.

We barbecued steaks for dinner last night per DH's request. It wasn't fun being out in that heat and then being subjected to the heat of the grill as well.

We attempted to go see Moonrise Kingdom yesterday but there was a power outage and the theater was involved. I do hope to see that before we leave for vacation.

traveling michele 06-18-2012 11:03 AM

Good morning all.

Saef-- that desk is beautiful. I can only imagine the lady who must have used it (before you that is!).

Allison-- I can imagine how you feel. I got a crummy night's sleep Saturday night after our 106 high-- it never cooled down-- it got cool enough for the AC to stop (I had it set at 80) but no lower. I have the window cracked but there was no cool breeze. Last night it got MUCH cooler so I think our heat wave has abated for now.

My weight has been so wonky lately and I'm really trying to decide if I'm just making excuses-- it's so hot I'm retaining water, I'm so sore from working out, etc. I've got to just eat when I'm hungry. Easier said than done for me. I put away way too much fruit yesterday-- I tell myself that it is fruit so it's healthy, but it was still way too much. Still-- I exercised HARD for 5 hours over the weekend-- Bikram Yoga for 90 minutes Saturday and Sunday, plus Boot camp on Saturday and Zumba on Sunday. I would thought my weight would be down. Plus no treats other than the excess fruit. Sigh....

And today of course I face a food challenge-- and tomorrow too for that matter. Today I'm meeting a fellow librarian/ friend for lunch at an amazing bakery. I'm planning on finding something healthy to eat (salad probably) and not order any baked goods. They sometimes have samples out and I may take a sample but that's it!

Tomorrow is our librarian pot luck. I haven't decided what to bring but it will probably be fruit! It will also throw off my workout plans as my UJam class is right in the middle of it, so I'll have to workout later probably....

I have three more official days of work before my summer break so I better get busy!

bargoo 06-18-2012 12:14 PM

saef, that is an amazing desk, I am sure one those drawers held m'lady's fan just in case of the vapors ,you do have a fainting couch, don't you ? Speaking of things antique or at least old. I had two egg beaters , one was mine, one had been my mother's. Very nice egg beaters, I don't need two so I donated one to a fund raiser flea market at my church. I was also helping at that fund raiser. I was standing at a table with the egg beater and other household item, I wish I had a video of the young couple trying to figure out what that strange object could be. They had no idea what it was and what it could be used for.
These were not children, they looked to be at least 30 years old.

Mudpie 06-18-2012 05:21 PM

A cat on a diet is a sad thing indeed. :p Mishi is now lying with his little head (the only little part of him) on his placemat, very forlornly looking at me and gently licking the outside of his dinner bowl. I would be more open to his plight were it not for the fact that he's bigger than a breadbox! (another item that a lot of people under 30 may not recognize bargoo)

I had a really slow day today and got home early to tackle the ever growing mountain of laundry. Two loads down, two to go. DH bought a bunch of new clothes and I'm washing all of them.

Dinner alone again, which is the norm now. I think DH and I physically see each other in the evening only on the weekends now. I'm generally in bed by the time he gets home. SIGH. This is supposed to end in September. :dunno:

Good evening all!

Dagmar :halfempty

alinnell 06-18-2012 08:32 PM

I haven't had to put our cats on a diet, although Ringo did (inadvertently) lose weight over the past 5 or 6 months. Now I think he needs to gain at least one pound. Anyway, after his bout with cystitis, I changed him to completely canned food. He (and Louie) get one large can a day--give or take. The other day I decided to try an experiment to see if we could get Louie to sleep in past 3 AM, so I gave them each half a small can of cat food more than usual for their evening meal. Wow! What a change! No begging! No waking us up early! So I inquired at the pet food store and they said that if you don't feed dry, typically you have to feed a bit more.

Feeling a bit better this afternoon, thankfully. But I'm not up for anything strenuous.

ICUwishing 06-18-2012 08:48 PM

Saef, that little desk is gorgeous! Crafted with love and skill, clearly - I hope it gives you as much joy as the artist envisioned it might!

Mudpie 06-19-2012 07:40 AM

I think I've just found a "fill-in" dog for the 8 weeks the doodle I walk will be away. :woohoo: I've been really worried about our finances for the summer and now it looks like my workload is picking up. :yay:

Dagmar :D

Megan1982 06-19-2012 12:30 PM

Hi all,

I've decided to take a break from trying to actively lose weight. Treading water and trying to maintain my weight is taking everything I've got right now. Work is so busy, and it is so hot outside that my temper is short and my patience is nil. Getting in structured exercise is a real challenge, especially when I'm already hot, sweaty, sunblocky, and sandy I really don't want to go to the gym after work. I'm still going to try and adapt a few things - carry some shower stuff and go ahead and shower at work before I go to the gym (otherwise I will never get there), bite the bullet and try to get up before 6 am and walk the dog earlier, to keep the activity going. My food intake isn't as clean as it could be, either, but just fighting with my body to eat something relatively balanced is all I can do, let alone cut calories to "losing" levels.

Does anyone else find they eat less protein in the summer? Lately I have been craving carbs at dinner. I used to roast a big hunk of meat on Sunday, like a pork loin, and eat it with salad for a few days' dinner. This just doesn't appeal to me much right now. A pita pizza or some pasta with pesto, with the salad, sounds so much better. I made a big quinoa, chickpea, and veggie salad over the weekend to eat this week and am loving it. I know these things have some protein, but I usually eat higher amounts. Maybe my body is telling me something? I'm going to try and see if listening to my body gets me further than fighting it this time.

Dagmar, glad to hear about your new dog to walk. BF and I tend to see each other a lot less in the summer bc of his busy work schedule, too. It took me a while but I accepted he wouldn't be home for dinner most nights when I'm ready to eat. Mostly we just appreciate the time we do have and figure once winter rolls around we'll be back to seeing more of each other. I try to recognize that he is working, not just choosing not to spend any time w me for no good reason. Hang in there for a bit until DH gets into a more regular schedule.

Allison, sorry to hear about your illness. I hope you're feeling back to yourself quickly.

Saef, what a beautiful piece for your apartment! It is unique and obviously carefully crafted. I love the color and luster of the finish.

Bill, what a nice evening! I love summer grilling.

Michele, sorry it's belated but congrats on DD's graduation.

Have a good week all. :)

traveling michele 06-19-2012 12:45 PM

Megan-- I can understand you not wanting to go to the gym after all of the exercise and activity you get during the day. It makes sense to me!

I've had too much coffee this morning and am MULTI-TASKING! I usually just have green tea at home and then a mug of coffee at work, but this morning I couldn't go in until 8, yet Dewey still woke me at 5:30. So, I had the green tea and coffee at home and am having more coffee at work. I am definitely buzzing!

Please keep me in your thoughts/prayers if you will. I may share later but I'm praying very hard today about something positive that will hopefully happen soon.

My dh said two things to me recently that have really got me thinking. I have always been painfully shy but have really tried to come out of my shell as I've gotten older. He told me that I'm something of a loner. I don't like the sound of that, so I'm making an effort to be more friendly-- at the gym, at work, etc. I would love to have more close girlfriends, especially now that both girls will be out of the house and dh travels so much.

The other thing he said is that I'm always standoffish when he comes back from a trip for a while. Like I've got to readjust to him being home. I had never thought about it, but I think he's right. So, I'm going to work on that regard too. He travels so much that I get used to him being gone and then I have to get used to him being home.

I made my appointment for my bone density scan. I had my first one two years ago which showed osteopaenia. Though I am young for it, my mom had severe osteoporosis. So, I've been on fosamax for two years, and continued my calcium supplements. I'll be very curious to see the results as I do weight training, strength training, yoga, etc. One of my hips continues to hurt though so I am worried about what the results will be. I have to go to the same center so they can compare the x-rays-- it was within a retirement community and I was the youngest one there by at least 30 years! I remember being the ONLY one looking at my cell phone-- I doubt the others had cell phones.

See.... the coffee is making me ramble-- better get back to work. I have a potluck to go to this afternoon. I'm bringing fruit and my friend is bringing a veggie tray, so I know I'll have at least two options. I'm planning on not staying too long so I can hopefully go to Bikram yoga as I'll miss my usual Tuesday U-Jam class.

BillBlueEyes 06-19-2012 12:48 PM

Happy Tuesday all.

saef - That's one neat desk. Even neater thinking that you sit at the desk handmade for a lady of means of a few centuries ago. Maybe you know one of her descendants.

I have to go get some exercise. Sitting at a computer makes me want to snack. And I'm capable of telling myself that dried figs are good for me - even by the handful. DW calls them sugar-bombs which is accurate. There aren't any in the house right now (guess where they all went, LOL), so I'll have to use Sugar Snaps as sugar-bomb substitutes.

alinnell 06-19-2012 01:11 PM

Michele~I can certainly relate your DH saying you're a loner and then feeling standoffish. We don't socialize very much--usually only when the in-laws are in town and then with their friends. And when DD comes home for a few days, it is a big adjustment to having another body in the house (and the mess that accompanies it). I wish I lived closer! You could haul my butt to the gym!

Bill~while I don't know that I've had a dried fig (except what's in a fig newton), I'm sure I'd like them. I had the same problem a few years ago when I picked up a huge tub of dried dates. Yum! But sugar bombs for sure!

Megan~you're job sounds so much more active than mine (I sit at a desk all day and get up every now and then to move papers here and there), and even then, I don't feel much like going to the gym after work, either. I'm sure you'll do fine maintaining for the summer.