Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #466  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I've noticed that some people, even people on these board seem to think there is something wrong with being hungry. After not eating for several hours you should be hungry. I have pretty much scheduled my hunger , by eating at about the same times every day. I get hungry three times a day , every day.
I am down 1.6 pounds for the month of July, so far.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #467  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Bargoo, Saef, midwife, and dagmar, thank you! As horrible and sudden as this was, my family did agree that Patches taught us a lot about life as a bunny household. We concluded we have a lot to offer, and are looking into local rabbit rescue organizations. Might even consider a matched pair ...

Bargoo, congrats! 1.6# in a mere 8 days is a lot! I've noticed the same thing about hunger; I find it a good way to tell if I'm eating the right amount (note, I have a healthy BODY relationship to food - it's my head that takes me in the wrong directions!)

Saef, glad you were able to get your runs in. That must have been very strange to feel that way - to have your normal, sustainable intake seem so high. Try not to think about it too much; there are likely many friends and coworkers who observe what you eat and have the same wonderings! I wanted to also mention that I appreciate your updates over the months about the benefits of your weight training - for my being a virtual sofa spectator, you are building a compelling case.

Finally got on the scale this morning. 151.0. It's post -TOM and a reasonable place from which to go forward.

Last edited by ICUwishing; 07-08-2012 at 09:35 AM.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #468  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Hi chicks,

Becky- so sorry you lost your bunny. I know how sad it is to lose a furry friend.

Saef- fuggetaboutit...they have their calories in wine-- put that into food kcals, and you're prob even

Bargoo- congrats on the scale success!

Dagmar- I have been kayaking on the lake recently, love it!

Midwife- hola!

Allison and Michele- enjoy the vacations

Krampus and Megan- hi

Shannon- fence in yet?

I'm stable, scalewise and emotionally (for now )

happy summer
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #469  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

saef There is nothing embarrasing, to me, about being fit, active, healthy and hungry. I am hungry at least 3-5 times per day - it's just my body telling me to eat because I've used all my fuel.

And whoever meentioned the alcohol cals is right - your hosts probably took in MORE cals than you and they were mostly unhealthy ones.

Becky If you do decide to get 2 bunnies they will be lovely company for each other but I would suggest not getting 2 males together - tendency toward fights.

We are all a little worse for the wear here. The older ( he's 2 1/2) dog is now sporting a head cone, woebegone expression, and inflamed ear leaking serum. He suffers from this chronically so I am already administering aid and meds but he is not happy. No swimming next week so my entire schedule has to be retooled. I am sporting a lot of scrapes on my left lower leg - who knew that being knocked down in the sand would do that - oh is that why they call it sandpaper? I have the feeling my back is healing up though - two weird falls and it seems unaffected by either. Either that or the meds I'm popping 4X daily are masking the pain but but either way the show goes on.

DH, since his last day at the current job is Friday, elected to not go into work today (he doesn't get paid any overtime, ever) and I will join him for dinner. That'll be a nice change for us - I haven't seen him for dinner 2 nights in a row in 3 months.

Good evening all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #470  

I stumbled on to a really nice summer treat at the asian grocery. They make frozen fruit bars that taste really good, have a creamy texture, and only have 5-6 ingredients that are all normal foodstuffs (fruit, water, sugar, etc.)

And they have between 100 and 130 cals each, depending on the fruit used. DH likes 'em too - better than his chocolate ice cream now. He still has the tendency to devour the whole box of bars but there are only 4 per box so that puts his cal load at waaay less than with the litre of ice cream.

Dagmar
Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #471  

Question brownies for brekkie?

In the August print edition of "O" magazine there is an article about having what most of us would call "indulgence" foods with breakfast. Sorry, couldn't find an online link but it mentions things like brownies, cookies, etc.

They offer an explanation for their thinking and everything but I'm wondering how valid this all is? I personally would set myself up for a big crash about mid-morning if I had a brownie after my cereal and banana.

Thoughts?

Dagmar
Old 07-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #472  
Recovering Pantry Pest

I'm with you, Dagmar. Days that start with simple carbs, even cereal, just don't go well. Gimmee the protein! I might have a piece of fruit with it on occasion. Breakfast has become too important to be an "indulgence". As undisciplined as I am, I still see it mostly as a fuel stop.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #473  

A brownie for breakfast ? Are you kidding me ? There is no such thing as "A brownie" I would want to eat the whole pan of brownies, that is why I don't have brownies or cookies in the house, I can't eat just one. Who thinks of these things ?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #474  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Who thinks of these things ?
People who are obviously quite unlike me and did not spend several decades of their lives weighing more than 100 pounds beyond what's considered healthy & normal.

For me, breakfast is the easiest meal to "program" & the one for which I'm most likely to eat the same thing over & over & over. Which is, in my worldview, a good thing.

Also, I often eat my breakfast at about 4:30 AM, before heading off to very early spin class, & thus by the end of the day my breakfast is a distant memory, as though it happened the day before. That thinking would not help me with facing other subsequent indulgences.

Finally, I face enough temptations when I'm out in the bigger world, often at the urging of other people. So why do this to myself, when others will surely offer something?

This cuts both ways:
O. magazine is open to new ideas/ O. magazine chases every new fad & finding as though it's the way to salvation.

Last edited by saef; 07-09-2012 at 08:23 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #475  
Workin' It

Just got back here after a busy week last week.

Becky - I'm so sorry about your bunny. I was just thinking about him last week when I had an unexpected few minutes of downtime at home and my cat laid her head in my lap.

I do have my fence in! Yay! I ran the Peachtree Road Race on 7/4 and survived it, in record heat and condition red for the event. I'm back in my own office now, the catering manager I was covering for is back from vacation. Maybe I'll be able to get back to a little more normal.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #476  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Kitty, good to see you and that things are "stable". Good word - we like stable.

Dagmar, I'm checking out rescue orgs that spay/neuter every bunny they take. There are a few bonded pairs of neutered males, but most seem to be females with "husbuns" (isn't that a cute term?). I sent off one adoption inquiry this morning, a three page form. It makes me happy to know I'll be grilled thoroughly before I'm allowed to adopt! Hooray for weathering the bumps and bangs - sounds like you have your hands FULL. And best wishes for you and DH finding a path of least resistance; hope his job situation settles for a while.

Shannon, thanks. Yay for fence! And bravo for the Peachtree ... Most of us don't even like to breathe in that kind of weather!

I've finally found an emotion that kills my appetite: grief. But the teary episodes are getting farther apart and life will continue. I'm now in the "what could I do better?" place, and still wondering whether I could have done anything - sooner, different, etc. I miss his fuzzy little butt terribly.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #477  

Becky Dogs are about the only pets who will give us ample warning that they are in distress. Most other pets (including cats) are usually prone to hiding things until it's too late to save them. They don't want to give any indication of weakness lest they be eaten (it's all hardwired instinctually) so they don't exhibit any symptoms. I don't think there was anything you could have done differently for Patches - you took him in when he showed the first symptoms of stress.

Dagmar
Old 07-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #478  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Becky,
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Dh and I drove to Key West today as it was a rainy day. We toured Ernest Hemingway's house. Very interesting tour, but the highlight for me were all the kitties with extra toes. (Polydactyl)
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #479  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm so sorry, Becky. Losing any pet is difficult.

I have another (online) friend who has had turkeys and chickens and of course, dogs, and has expanded to pygmy goats and is now considering miniature donkeys. Sounds like a zoo to me!

I'm back from my rather stressful (at times) vacation but in the end the good outweighed the bad. We're still waiting for our luggage that may take up to 2 days to get to us (and we paid WHAT to check it?). But I'm swollen. I wonder if it is what I ate last night (enchilada soup and santa fe chicken salad from Chili's) or from sitting for the past, what 10+ hours. My feet, ankles and even my entire leg is swollen. And I never get this way.

Will post photos in a few days. I need to get my luggage, wash it, transport it to DD in Fullerton and fill out all the paperwork for the trip insurance.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #480  

Good to have you back , Allison. I think you are right about the swelling, sitting for hours plus the sodium in the Mexican food. I hope you get your luggage back, soon. I had mine lost before I ever got to the airport, somehow between my hotel in Dallas and the airport it was lost by the shuttle driver.

Last edited by bargoo; 07-10-2012 at 09:35 AM.