3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Staying Slim for Summer Part II (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/258693-maintainers-staying-slim-summer-part-ii.html)

Megan1982 05-23-2012 09:20 PM

I need a little support, here, friends. I have been in such a better body mood since February. I started the NRLW program, loved the workouts, got out of my gym rut, felt like I've been eating healthy foods in proper portions 95% of the time and enjoying them. I knew I was weightlifting more, and told myself that I might not lose weight but would be making important other changes to my body. I even took measurements to see the difference there, if I couldn't see it on the scale. Are my pants looser? I've definitely gotten stronger at the gym. I always forget to take measurements but I did tonight for the first time since March. And you know what? I have not lost a single inch off of anything. I am really frustrated. :cry:

There have been a few weekends (bachelorette parties, weddings, etc) when I went out and drank alcohol, didn't stay POP food-wise. But I really don't think I veered off plan that far, and got right back to it after each weekend. I think I'm pretty aware of what goes in my body, and am honest with myself. Am I? Because I'm rather at a loss. I knew it would be tough to lost lbs while trying to build muscle, but I thought I'd lose some inches.
:shrug: :cry::stress::tantrum::sorry::frypan::halfempty:ti red:

Thanks for listening.

Krampus, that is great! It is ever greater bc it sounds like you're in a good place mentally as well. :carrot:

Saef, I think I live in one of those towns. At least we have a yoga class (is that a sign of new people moving in, too? come to think of it, probably so). Enjoy your facial.

Allison, glad your shoulder feels better. Rotator cuff injuries are particularly scary. We don't want any of those.

alinnell 05-24-2012 09:28 AM

Sorry you're not losing inches Megan. I know how frustrating it can be to work at something and not see the results you want. Hang in there. Perhaps the parties were the cause.

I survived my first spin class last night. It wasn't as bad as I thought! While I couldn't get out of the saddle as much as everyone else, I did my best (and my butt hurts!).

I've decided to add dumbbells to my want list. Actually, no, I'm going to go buy some this weekend or before. I think I saw some at Marshalls so they aren't too expensive. I've downloaded a list of dumbbell exercises, too. If I can get my butt to come home from work and do a workout before dinner, I think I'll do dumbbells and abs and then treadmill for at least 20 minutes. I will do this!

ICUwishing 05-24-2012 09:58 AM

Megan, :hug: - I'd be frustrated too! I wouldn't think a few parties would be all that bad, especially since you've been so active and 95% on plan. As a person quite susceptible to "puff", my only suggestion would be to wait a week and check again. I remember you've said that you add muscle easily, like I do - is it possible that you're changing composition without changing size? Can you feel a difference in your arms, legs, etc?

allison, yay for sore buns! I've started doing some very basic exercises, and I am surprised at how sore I am. It feels good, though - even though when I get out of my car or up from my chair, I kinda waddle like a duck til everything loosens up again. Lord knows, it can only get better from here, right? :lol: I'd think you have a terrific core from all the golf you play!

krampus, congrats on the low number! Like Megan says, it sounds like you are enjoying a mind/body/spirit peak - very cool!

saef, you and I have truly drawn some short straws on this cycle stuff. I'm down to about six days of peace and quiet between PMS kick-in and the end of the messy part. Aggravating! Lovely description of the difference between old money and new money; it's a pleasure to be able to see your world through your eyes!

I seem to have a seriously unbalanced body. There must be abs of steel under the soft stuff, because I threw the Navy Seal workout at them last night, and while I couldn't finish the Advanced level, I can't even feel it today. The rest of me ... oh, not so good. :dizzy: Fortunately, I'm amused instead of annoyed! :rofl: I took the time to write out what I want from myself, and something seemed to click about seeing "I want ..." I guess I finally want to be strong more than I want to be weak.

saef 05-24-2012 10:04 AM

Allison, when I first started using dumbbells, I found they were an ideal occupation while watching TV. Back when I was following the "Biggest Loser," one of my nights to do my dumbbell routine was while watching the show.

Megan, you probably know that I'm also experiencing the same frustration of having put in a lot of time at the gym and eating sensibly and wondering if all the effort is worth it. Unlike you, I didn't take any measurements beforehand, so I've spared myself that particular frustration. I suspect my arms are smaller, but can't confirm that. And I don't trust the accuracy of my perception of my body, because like nearly everyone on this site, I've been guilty of seeing myself as smaller or larger than I really am. But, like you, I know I'm stronger, and have upped my weights on all the exercises I do. I am feeling discouraged, too.

So what are our options.

We can quit working so hard, but that won't help, and I suspect we won't, because we're not quitters and because that's the definition of insanity, to stop completely before giving something a chance to work. The question is, how long till it starts working? We can push ourselves a little more, or do something differently, but I think we've both covered those options.

So that means looking at the food. As you know, I'm struggling with that, since I wrote my "Eat Lentils and an ENTIRE Banana If You Dare to" Manifesto. How much do I want to restrict? Should I start recording what I eat? Should I count calories? I have gotten this far not doing those last two things. That was a deliberate choice because of my obsessive compulsive & eating disorder history, which led me to extensive food diaries and remorse and ever-greater restriction. Could I use these tools now without abusing them? Do you have any similar options or issues that you can look at?

Finally, there's that third thing that could be affecting us, which is harder to identify. That's our state of mind, our stress level, the amount of sleep we're getting, our general state of well-being. I know I'm stressed and dissatisfied with the state of my life right now. I have been trying to work on getting more sleep. I'm sort of cut off from my regular therapist, but we do exchange email periodically. How are you doing on this? Are you okay with your life right now? I mean, really okay? I always have to bring up this third thing, because as I've said before, eating and food is rarely the cause with me. It's the symptom. I'm not surprised that I'm frustrated with my body because it's just one of a list of things that are frustrating me right now. My wheel-spinning on weight is suspiciously similar to my wheel-spinning in my life as I wait for my apartment to be completed.

We're obviously living very different lives, Megan, but maybe an inventory like this could help you work out what's stalling you.

I am also quite certain that we both can get beyond our respective stall-outs, given time and, of course, our putting some effort someplace, probably in the place we've been avoiding or putting off.

saef 05-24-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krampus (Post 4343911)
And there has been no starving, no binging on peanut butter, and very little feeling restricted.

[Just licking peanut butter off a spoon as I write this -- but it was a planned tablespoon full, along with a sliced-up Macoun apple, my mid-morning snack.]

See what we can do, without succumbing to the crazy?

With me, I am ever more certain that I just sublimated my crazy, and it's become an obsessive interest in exercise, rather than in bingeing or starving. But as long as I watch it, and don't get beyond two hours a day, I think it's a good substitution, akin to my substitutions of healthier food for unhealthy foods.

You're in a good place, Krampus, no? You have a boyfriend. You've got a new interest, which is hiking. You don't live at home. And your job, it goes well? Your life seems to be proceeding along apace, and perhaps your attitude toward your body and its health reflects that.

traveling michele 05-24-2012 10:29 AM

Megan,
Great advice from everyone, especially Saef. Sometimes I wish we wouldn't weigh or measure ourselves-- you were happy with yourself and your progress BEFORE you measured yourself-- that shouldn't change, but it does because of those darn numbers.

I've been stuck more or less at a weight for a few weeks that I don't particularly like. Not terrible, but not where I like it. I'm eating almost 100% OP, I'm exercising religiously, and the weight seems stuck. I'll go down for a day or so and think I'm making progress and then I shoot back up for no apparent reason. I'm definitely seeing the extra pounds (only about 4 but it makes a difference) in my tummy and my legs. I'm extremely stressed, tired, and busy. I'm trying not to be too hard on myself and just mostly ignore it until I get done with school for the summer in a few weeks. Then I plan on incorporating more Bikram Yoga back into my schedule-- only have been doing it once a week at the most due to time constraints. I suspect that will help rid me of the excess weight.

Great job Allison on the spin class. I remember being very nervous before my first class. I really like them now and need to incorporate them into my busy schedule too!

Woo Hoo Krampus on the low number! That is exciting.

saef 05-24-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICUwishing (Post 4345115)
saef, you and I have truly drawn some short straws on this cycle stuff. I'm down to about six days of peace and quiet between PMS kick-in and the end of the messy part. Aggravating!

And it's still not over with. And I still show the signs of hormonal fluid retention, with the puffy ankles that I can press dents into, even first thing in the morning, despite reducing my sodium intake to nearly nothing.

So we just wait it out, right, Becky? I mean, wait for the whole drama to end? There's nothing we can do?

This is what drives people to Internet searches and unregulated supplements and to remember things their grandmothers recommended.

How are you doing on vacating your current premises inside your head? Do you also have a contractor in there, holding you up? ;-)

traveling michele 05-24-2012 10:35 AM

So sorry Saef you are dealing with this. Must be extremely frustrating. Are you having hot flashes, etc. with it? Or just this lovely fun?

Exhale15 05-24-2012 10:47 AM

Hi guys, I'd like to join your group after mostly lurking for a while. While I'm happy to have 'maintained' my 20-or so pound loss, I, too, am trying to find a happy medium (pun?) between trying to knock off another 12 or so - to 'healthy' bmi, and incorporating healthful habits simply for the pleasure they bring. But I find it like walking down the block and 'not looking' at something icky. After a couple of days straight of enjoying my new attitude and doing 'well' and feeling good, I get on the scale expecting 'TaDa' and there's no 'TaDa'. And I panic that I can't do this forever. But I have to, and actually, would like to because it makes me feel good. As of late, I've been 'feeling' the fact that my body weighs less. There's a lightness to it. And the lines seem longer and smoother. What's not to continue ????

Anyway, :wave: Happy Thursday :)

alinnell 05-24-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

allison, yay for sore buns
. Um, not sore buns--saddle sore from the darn bike seat (they're made for people with more padding in certain areas).

Welcome Exhale15!!! Yeah, a happy medium, that would be nice.

I did notice some things while at the gym the past few days: I'm not the only one who isn't "in shape" so I am comfortable there; everyone is quite supportive there (one spin instructor was there just to take the class--she helped me with quite a bit and the instructor gave me good advice before the class started); and I really don't look as bad as I think I do (unless they have slimming mirrors--which I doubt). I know where I need to concentrate (can you say abs?). I'm really looking forward to buying my dumbbells!

bargoo 05-24-2012 12:19 PM

Great postings today ! I moved to this apartmment last September. On the day I moved I was exactly where I wanted to be for my weight. Ciuldn't have been happier about my weight. I am not sure what happened, stress, complacency, laziness, whatever, by the first of the year I had gained 19 pounds. The awful thing is that I saw it coming but seemed powerless to stop it. Everyday I got up with the intention of staying on plan and getting back to my ticker weight. Everyday I didn't do it. By the first of the year sanity had returned and I got back on plan Jan 1, by the end of Feb I was back where I wanted to be. I am now at a point where I am going through those days of up a couple of pounds , you know, gain two lose one. I am not at a terrible weight, slightly over goal but I want to be back where I was last September. I have been pretty much on plan with an occasional binge but my belief is that if you are old enough to earn you own living and you are not living at home hearing your mother say "clean up your plate", gosh darn it , you should be able to eat what you want ! That just doesn't work with me , binges are OUT !!!!

freelancemomma 05-24-2012 02:03 PM

<<Has anyone ever been or is a pescatarian? I'm debating going that route. The only thing I worry about missing is chicken. I rarely eat any other meats except for fish and shellfish. >>

Our family is pescatarian, but only at home. When we're eating at other people's houses, restaurants, or the cottage, we eat meat. This system is working really well for us.

F.

freelancemomma 05-24-2012 02:09 PM

Krampus, my model-pretty 16-year-old daughter has 34AA breasts. Anything I can tell her to make her feel better about them?

Freelance

traveling michele 05-24-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelancemomma (Post 4345532)
<<Has anyone ever been or is a pescatarian? I'm debating going that route. The only thing I worry about missing is chicken. I rarely eat any other meats except for fish and shellfish. >>

Our family is pescatarian, but only at home. When we're eating at other people's houses, restaurants, or the cottage, we eat meat. This system is working really well for us.

F.

Thanks for sharing-- that is an interesting method! I was thinking that I might have an issue on Thanksgiving! But I'm not a huge turkey fan anyway-- I usually just take a small piece-- so I can be meatless that day. I was also thinking about functions-- like weddings-- where I might not get a fish choice.

Megan1982 05-24-2012 03:41 PM

I haven't been thinking about my frustrations too much today, which is actually a good thing I think. I got up, got ready for work per usual, had a nice morning of field work... and was generally in a good mood. Perhaps this is a good sign, that I'm not focusing on my weight and measurements too much.

But I appreciate all the supportive words and advice. Saef, yup, sounds like we're in a similar boat. I've thought reading several of your posts the last few months "but surely she's tightening up and building muscle with this upper body training". Of course hormones can add a whole other level to the mix, and at 29 (and not pregnant, lol, before anyone asks) I shouldn't be going through unusual hormonal changes other than the regular monthly ones.

Option 1 is out - of course I'm not going to give up! At least I make a good maintainer, even if I can't get these few lbs to budge. I don't have a history of disordered eating, and I do log my food and count calories, but there are a few things I think I will try here. First, back to measuring salad dressings, nuts, and a few other things (used to measure, now sometimes I eyeball... you know how it goes). I might not be misportioning but I should check. I'm not sure exactly where I can cut more calories but I will try to cut a few more on non-lifting days. I can't deal with too much hunger but I will re-examine what I'm eating and see if I can tweak it. And keeping my eating clean means prepping dinners for the week. Every weekend. Coming home hungry from a long day and having to prepare food just doesn't work for me.

I definitely feel stronger - and I can lift more weight! So I know I'm changing something in body. I don't think I will make changes to my activities right now. I feel I've got a good balance of weights, cardio (including some HIIT), a little yoga, am really active, and can't just keep piling more on.

Mentally... ah such hard questions, perhaps you don't want to know all the answers. I have really been enjoying my weekly yoga practice I took up last fall, and trying to relax more. My sleep schedule has been good lately, plenty of that. I have been busier (in a good way) at work, there are some stresses but feel in a good place there. There is a voice in the back of my head that whispers that I'm almost 30 and have a job, not a career, and should do something about that. I also worry about my dear BF a fair amount, for reason I don't want to elaborate on, but he sometimes has anxiety and depression, and I worry about his career/job future as well. Yes, there is some stress there... so life is not perfect, but day-to-day I feel pretty happy. Last year I decided I would try to remove what stress I could and deal with the rest better. I've taken up yoga, am quitting the board I've been serving on for 6 years... I'm sure there are more ways I can try to de-stress and will keep thinking about this.

We will stick with it together, Saef!

Allison, it sounds like your gym visit has got you really excited about workouts! Yard sales and WalMart are a good place to look for weights, too. Maybe Craigslist but I think I've seen heavier weights and benches more there, not smaller hand weights... might be worth a look.

Exhale, I also struggle with the concept of healthy weight and BMI as I am also slightly above a "healthy" weight. It is hard to wrap one's head around, but ultimately, we are the ones who know our bodies best and can decide what is healthy for us. Sometimes easier said than accepted. :dizzy:

Bargoo, that doesn't work for me either. Phoey.

Becky, sounds like a seriously challenging abs workout! Good for you!