Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat April 23 - April 29

Went to bed with a foot of snow predicted for the East Coast!!! Woke up to heavy rain, that is most welcome, although that part leaking into my basement less so. Don't know who got the snow, but wasn't us.

I'm doing well with meals but have repeatedly reached for larger snacks than needed during the day - like a reversal to pre-journey behavior. Ouch. I need to whack myself upside the head and get back on path.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Good morning!

We are having a high wind day here so that means big waves and blowing sand at work. I have not washed and stored my parka and will pull it on today. I always wait until the end of April to finally say goodbye to it for the season.

I am holding at 138 lbs. Better than gaining. But frustrating.

I don't sleep enough at night due to early morning caffeine cravings. I drink too much caffeine during the day to keep going and then, when crashing at night and craving more energy I turn to the carbs. Lotsa carbs.

The only way I see to break this cycle (which has been going on for years) is to quit work for a month and stay home resting. I have a better chance of flying to Mars than doing that.

I have to keep Calm and Carry On.

Oh and DH and I had our yearly spring "break-up" chat yesterday. Same time, every year. I don't quite know that we agreed on anything, except that we are both treating each other with contempt and should replace that with respect. Will see when it comes time to renew the lease on this place.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I ran out of Advil PM and therefore didn't have the greatest night sleep last night. I wish I didn't rely on sleep aids, but the fact of the matter is, if I don't take some I'll either not be able to fall asleep (that was last night) or I'll wake up at some un-godly hour and not be able to fall back to sleep.

No snow here! High yesterday was 104--one degree less than the record for the date.

Anxiously awaiting news on my dog's mass today.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Bill-- I'm with you..... I am just not as focused as I should be. I'm hopefully going to be good as gold this week. I'm wearing my tight jeans on purpose-- to remind myself to stick to plan!

I'm running behind today-- got to work 15 minutes later than usual-- hopefully I don't feel that way all day.

Dh is gone again-- this time to Brazil. Dd has a weird school schedule this week.

Just trying to stay focused....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #5  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hitting the ground running this week. Big going away party for my roommate Friday night, drove him to his new home in Montreal Saturday, stayed the night (eating and drinking merrily), got home at 10 PM Sunday night, working all day, and trying to squeeze in the gym between work and a Passion Pit concert tonight.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #6  

I think I forgot to tell you all. DD has decided not to graduate. She finally got some answers from CGU and she totally understood their decision (by accepting a person with no psych background into a psych grad class they degrade the degree). She asked if taking a year of psych, possibly getting a second degree in psych (but no guarantee she can do all that in a year) and reapplying next year would look better and they said yes. That, with the 65 page research paper she did for her Honor's Thesis at CSUF should make her look a lot more favorable.

So that meant I had to scramble to obtain a 6th ticket to go see The Book of Mormon next November (done, thankfully!).

And it means a lot less stress on my part with her not having to move for another year AND when she moves next time, it's local--Fullerton to Pasadena area. Much easier to find a place as she can drive up and personally look at places before making a decision.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

You know who got the snow? Us. Yes, when I went out to the car at 5:15 AM to drive to spin class, sleet kept spitting into my face and the car's windshield and rear window needed a few swipes with a brush to get rid of the slushy stuff covering it. Several hours later, driving south to Pennsylvania, we found the snow increasing gradually as we drove down Route 81 into the southern tier of New York State. I believe Cortland probably got close to four inches. The crab apple blossoms were heavy with snow. I nodded off in the car and when I awoke, at the Binghamton crossroads, there was no snow anymore.

Down in Lancaster, it's all green, growing, and sodden with rain. The skies are leaden here. We dined at an inn built in 1756. I can feel myself stirring a little, though I often feel like those skies.

Last edited by saef; 04-23-2012 at 08:21 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #8  

My Chico baby has cancer. Specifically sarcoma--malignant. Pathology didn't say whether it is synovial cell sarcoma (the better of the two) or hystiocytic (sp?) cell sarcoma (nasty). Next step is chest x-rays to determine if it has spread to his chest and then schedule amputation of his leg, shoulder and shoulder blade.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Very sorry to hear that Allison - poor Chico Baby
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #10  

Allison-- I'm very sorry to hear about Chico, but I'm sure you are glad that your dd will remain nearby. My sweet Doberman, Annie, was about Chico's age when we found her osteosarcoma. She did amazingly well after amputation. We chose not to do further treatments (this was about 10 years ago), but I'm sure there are even more treatments available now.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #11  

Yesterday one of the teachers at my school asked me if I wanted to join their team to do this incredibly hard muddy obstacle race called the tough mudder. Anyone hear of it? You can go to toughmudder.com and watch the video. It looks brutal. I may sign up to do it and dh may as well. The thing that blows my mind is that she asked *me*! I was always chosen last for gym class and teams, and now others look at me as fit and athletic. Wow! Of course I may not finish and I would be competing with 20-somethings--- but we'll worry about that down the road!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #12  

Tonight will be my last Tuesday night working for Weight Watchers. I have such mixed feelings about leaving my job. I feel like it is somehow tied to my weight loss, and I hope I can stay focused without it (I have to weigh monthly to keep my employment). I know that I am strong enough to keep motivated, but sometimes those little voices tell me otherwise. I am dreading telling the members tonight-- some of them have been with me for most of the 3-4 years. I am still working Sunday mornings until I can find a replacement, but I'm hoping that happens ASAP as I would sure love not getting up early every Sunday!

I am looking forward to being able to get to the gym on Tuesdays-- there is a U-Jam class that I may try to start going to!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #13  
Workin' It

Michele - one of my friends from high school and his wife just did a tough mudder run recently, they loved it.

Allison - I'm so sorry about Chico.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #14  

Michele~I also have a friend from high school who just did a Tough Mudder. They are difficult, messy, but fun. There is another one that another friend has done that is a bit easier than Tough Mudder (don't remember the name) and now they've come out with another where the runners are also chased by zombies! Too funny. Have fun!

Thanks everyone for the thoughts on Chico. I was so stoic while talking to the vet on the phone but then when my DS asked if there was an alternative to amputation and he got a dejected look and went and brushed the dog (with both cats hovering above from the pool table--too cute) I really broke down. He might have to have chemo as well as the amputation--I assume the xrays tomorrow will determine that.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #15  

Well, I signed up for the tough mudder. I'm already wondering what I've gotten myself into! My dh said he'd be in town and to sign him up with our team. I did and then asked him if he watched the video. He said, not yet. Oh boy! He doesn't know what he's gotten himself into! So far our team consists of 8 people ranging in age from 24-54-- I'm not the oldest or the youngest!