Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #16  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

threehorns, that is SO sweet about his family's reaction! Love it!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #17  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

There are a lot of really insightful comments in this thread that I need to remember. I'm so glad I read it.

I have been extremely lucky; everyone around me has been very supportive of my weight loss, and genuinely happy for me. But it has gotten a bit weird in a few places just recently, I think maybe because now my appearance is such that I'm no longer overweight. It was maybe easier for some people to be completely supportive when I was still heavier than they were.

Though I've always thought it was unfair to both of us, my sister was always "the pretty, thin one" and I was "the smart one". We're really close in age (15 months apart), so people tend to compare us directly even though we are VERY different people with different goals and interests. My sister still is and always will be the pretty one (I am rather unattractive, and she is definitely pretty)... but with my weight loss we're physically more similar than we've ever been. She's ~2 inches shorter than I am, but my current weight is about the highest point to which her weight ranges (she goes through cycles of gaining and losing between 115 and 140 lbs)... and while I'm not smaller than her now (she told me she's at 127), I'm worried about what might happen if my weight were ever briefly lower than hers or I was temporarily smaller than she was. She's still very supportive of me, but she'd truly be very, very upset - not at me, but about herself. My mother voiced the same fear when I was visiting last weekend; my sister and I went clothes shopping together (her suggestion), and when we came home my mom whispered to me "I was so worried when I heard you went shopping together... please tell me that she's still wearing smaller sizes than you are". And throughout the weekend my mom kept making comments to me about my shape that were reflective of those same fears about my size in comparison to my sister's. I'm not planning to lose much more weight for several reasons... but if that wasn't the case, the worry about my sister alone would probably keep me from wanting to lose more. She's my dad's "little bit" (his nickname for her since she was young), and I KNOW that if I were the same size it would hurt her and make her feel badly about herself. I never want to be a part of her feeling that way. As proud as I am of what I have done, I would lie to her about my weight or clothing size when she asks to keep her from feeling that way.

ANYWAY... I do agree that typically when people don't seem supportive or seem envious it's because they're reflecting on themselves rather than on you. I know that's always been the case for me when I've compared myself to the size of other women, whether I've been larger or smaller - it has zero to do with them and is no judgment about them, and everything to do with how I feel about myself.

Last edited by chickadee32; 04-22-2012 at 03:06 PM.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #18  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I am happy to be able to tell you, It does go away. In due time.

Now the plan is--- stay in maintenance long enough to find out for yourself xoxo
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #19  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I come from a culture where there's fear of the "evil eye," and just recently, after seeing a relative who was not too happy with my loss, I got very sick with the stomach flu. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but I can't help but succumb to the fear of someone wishing me evil.
Half of my family (dad's side) is from a culture that believes in the evil eye and my SO is as well. As soon as I started to lose weight they all warned me about the evil eye and I shrugged it off. One day I saw an old "friend" from high school and she told me "Wow, you've lost weight but I'm still not impressed" (or something along those lines, I'm translating from Arabic :P). I was so shocked but the day after I got the stomach flu as well! I know, I know it was probably coincidence but I totally know what you mean.

Don't worry about what other people are thinking, you have done such a great job and the only thing that matters is what YOU think of yourself. You should be proud!
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #20  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Thanks so much you guys! I've been focusing on what I"m thinking and putting what others are doing away....it's their issues.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #21  
Natural Diet Queen

S/C/G: 58/52/48

Height: 5'3

take that as compliment and just be yourself. Be Happy!
hazyl is offline   Reply With Quote